Time Will Tell

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Time Will Tell

Mmm... I think the question is a bit flawed.

As critical as many have been of Richo, not me least of all, the circumstances of the last 2 years are not solely on Richo.

IMO the definitive moment of Richo’s demise came in the off-season in 2017. After looking finals bound we capitulated over the last 6 games to miss out but to be honest things were still looking very good. Those last 6 games IMO really hammered home a few deficiencies regarding our list which is actually a good thing because we were in a position to address them heading into 2018 which would surely be our first finals tilt in some years.

From what I remember, the major standouts were
- we needed 1-2 pact mids with good disposal to have a more balanced list
- we had to find a way to play two genuine rucks in the team
- the goal kicking issue had really surfaced
- we had too many games where we either didn’t turn up or went missing for large periods... psychologically we went missing

Unfortunately, we failed to and continue not to have addressed any of these.

Respectfully, one at least acknowledges that they took some steps to address the goal kicking but the rucks and mids issue remains unaddressed 2 years on.

And then we got to 2018... those issues surfaced yet again, new ones emerged and it became clear that we had somewhat overestimated our list.
Again, not an unsalvagable situation by any means but the club’s stance on Richo was incorrect too... they took a kind of ‘you must succeed now and we will do what we can to help you’. New assistants, ready made players etc etc play finals in 2019.

It simply wasn’t realistic that anyone could be expected to turn that around so quickly.

The correct approach IMO was to go back and start the rebuild at the end of 2018... and by that I mean make tougher decisions on which players are going to be there at the next tilt / who do you want to persevere with, stop playing underachieving senior players and instead give the experience to up and comers with talent and use the draft to start to address the deficiencies of the list over a longer term.

IMO 2019 was never salvageable and we have achieved nothing by fighting reality...and that’s not really on Richo when he gets put on the perform by season’s end or you’re out platform

HighettMan
Club Player

I believe we tried to fix the mids issue with the "war chest" approach but didn't have a plan B strategy or so it seemed. We did seem to in last years trade period with the mature age approach but didnt really target mids.

I hope we still try our "war chest" approach at this year's trade period but also target some mature agers. We need depth on the list for midfilders and I don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket with the "war chest" approach meaning you only get one midfielder, sure if it's a Dusty type it's low risk and you a very certain of the quality. If you spread the risk over 2 or 3 or more mature age midelfieders that are largely unknown quantities at AFL level then you increase the odds of adding some AFL ready mids and build your depth through this strategy.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Just no more Freeman or Hannebery types please!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 8:41am I believe we tried to fix the mids issue with the "war chest" approach but didn't have a plan B strategy or so it seemed. We did seem to in last years trade period with the mature age approach but didnt really target mids.

I hope we still try our "war chest" approach at this year's trade period but also target some mature agers. We need depth on the list for midfilders and I don't like the idea of putting all your eggs in one basket with the "war chest" approach meaning you only get one midfielder, sure if it's a Dusty type it's low risk and you a very certain of the quality. If you spread the risk over 2 or 3 or more mature age midelfieders that are largely unknown quantities at AFL level then you increase the odds of adding some AFL ready mids and build your depth through this strategy.
Our recruiting strategy has for a long time now built depth at the expense of quality. So we have many depth players, but no real new cream. We have for many years now had our lowest rate of gaining "guns" that I can ever recall.

The "war chest", or Big Fish FA Strategy that it started out as, has been an abject failure for the simple reason that guns will in fact a have a large choice of clubs that they can go and that they mainly choose either:
- Clubs with a better chance of a flag (even if it means less money).
- "Go Home" ie Danger

The "War Chest" was further undermined in St Kilda's case for just when the Saints were eady to really start spending the new TV Rights deal with its much bigger contract suddenly meant all clubs were cashed up.

The only player of any note that the club has bought is Carlisle. Hannas and Freeman both had known injury issues and both were high risk plays.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Barometer
Club Player

The inconsistency is something I can’t get past. Weeks week even quarter to quarter, goal kicking. Coaching has to play a big element in players being up.

Cattle remains an issue but not sure how anyone could develop to a grade in a side that is so up and down.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If a professional footballer spends 5 days training and preparing and can’t get up for a game, it says something about the player. It’s their job to be up, it’s a non negotiable.

Why the inconsistency?
You have to consider the impact of the opposition. If they match our intensity around the footy, generally they will beat us on talent.
Only three times this year, have I felt our intensity was poor, and effort was lacking. Once for a whole game (Port), and two seperate quarters (Kangas/Bris).

scallopsroe
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 1:17pm If a professional footballer spends 5 days training and preparing and can’t get up for a game, it says something about the player. It’s their job to be up, it’s a non negotiable.

Why the inconsistency?
You have to consider the impact of the opposition. If they match our intensity around the footy, generally they will beat us on talent.
Only three times this year, have I felt our intensity was poor, and effort was lacking. Once for a whole game (Port), and two seperate quarters (Kangas/Bris).
You should include Collingwood last quarter, Freo and Giants first quarters, Adelaide entire game, Tigers and Cats went to sleep after half time etc.
Very inconsistent and for the past three years haven't been able to stop a team getting a run on against us.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

You’ve got to consider,

All of those teams went into the match heavy favourites, and it didn’t surprise that we were outplayed at times during the game.

The Freo game and Geelong games were prett6 good efforts imo

scallopsroe
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:15pm You’ve got to consider,

All of those teams went into the match heavy favourites, and it didn’t surprise that we were outplayed at times during the game.

I was at the Free game, the first quarter was pathetic and expecting to beat them after a 5 goal start was delusional. Two late goals made the score line slightly respectful but we were never in it. Same with the Giants, six goals down at quarter time, game over. Didn't give a yelp :cry:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

scallopsroe wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:35pm
B.M wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:15pm You’ve got to consider,

I was at the Free game, the first quarter was pathetic and expecting to beat them after a 5 goal start was delusional. Two late goals made the score line slightly respectful but we were never in it. Same with the Giants, six goals down at quarter time, game over. Didn't give a yelp :cry:
Same here, I live in Perth and was full of hope for that one,
but that first quarter gave me flashbacks of all those times I went to Arctic Park at Waverley and watched us get
towelled up.
It was so one-sided, it was shocking. We were always 5m behind the Dockers when the ball hit the ground.
Horrible

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
The Barometer
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 1:17pm If a professional footballer spends 5 days training and preparing and can’t get up for a game, it says something about the player. It’s their job to be up, it’s a non negotiable.

Why the inconsistency?
Pretty simplistic. at a professional level a small % change in output can have big ramifications. What if the message is confused, to complicated, players out of position, not coaching to players to strengths, to much negativity. Pretty easy to see that coaching could stop players from being up.
No doubt the players are generally up, as you say they are pros, but poor leadership can easily throw anyone from being at 100%.