Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Lyon

spert wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:58am Our most successful coach was obviously Jeans, and after that it doesn't matter..they're all also-rans.
Ring a ding
We have a winner

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 3:18pm
spert wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:58am Our most successful coach was obviously Jeans, and after that it doesn't matter..they're all also-rans.
Ring a ding
We have a winner
How right you are spert.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 8:31am
Teflon wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 12:25am
The first rule of an AFL coach is to get your team into a position to win a GF.
I don't actually agree with that.

The first rule of an AFL coach, is to get the most out of the players at your disposal.

Beyond that, no coach ever has the stated goal of making the GF.

Their goal is to win the flag.

Failing at the last hurdle, or the second last hurdle is still failure. It's unfortunate, but in AFL footy we don't celebrate coming 2nd - we call it failing to win.

Coming 2nd or coming 4th is the same thing.

Playing a style that can't win GFs is no different to playing a style that can't win Prelims.

Both are failed styles.
Show me 1 AFL coach who has won a flag without getting their team to that final game?

It’s about opportunity first
When you get it then it’s about making the most of it.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Must remind GT of that while he’s watching his “10 game streak” video
Anyhow, stats tell us who in our modern era is our best coach
Haters don’t like to hear it but thems the facts

“Yeah….nah””
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:04pm
watch out for dem haters tef! :D

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Lyon inherited a great team and was at our club for a very short time. He failed to get the chocolates with champion team that he inherited.

It's way too simple to define success of a coach based solely on h&a win/loss or even based on winning finals ratios (Tosser is heading down in both areas btw)

The only way that your boy Lyon was able to coach a team of winners was in large part due to the legacy left for him by GT. Bag GT all you want, but most neutral observers are aware of the blueprint and the foundations that were set before Rossco arrived

I loved the fact that we were building a great team and I loved the fact that GT helped mould young men into leaders. I hated the fact that Ross Lyon didn't give opportunity to our youth because I knew there's be a price to pay

Lyon might have fooled a few people and gained some disciples, but I hated the legacy that he left behind

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 9:26am
Lyon inherited a great team and was at our club for a very short time. He failed to get the chocolates with champion team that he inherited.

It's way too simple to define success of a coach based solely on h&a win/loss or even based on winning finals ratios (Tosser is heading down in both areas btw)

The only way that your boy Lyon was able to coach a team of winners was in large part due to the legacy left for him by GT. Bag GT all you want, but most neutral observers are aware of the blueprint and the foundations that were set before Rossco arrived

I loved the fact that we were building a great team and I loved the fact that GT helped mould young men into leaders. I hated the fact that Ross Lyon didn't give opportunity to our youth because I knew there's be a price to pay

Lyon might have fooled a few people and gained some disciples, but I hated the legacy that he left behind
Most neutral observers who watch the game and take off the “GT gave me meaning again” glasses realise we had been found out - which is why the guy couldn’t capitalise on a star studded list that had some very mature, top line players with a gun crop of youngsters coming through , thanks to the pathetic Watson years and failed Blight experiment.

You deal in your opinion as fact - it’s nonsense. FACTS are 1 coach at least got us to an opportunity to win a flag, multiple times....your boy failed to even get us there cause his 1 trick pony game plan/coaching style wasn’t up to it.
Tough to swallow as Lyons record is for many here FACTS are it shytes all over “GT”...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote: Thu 25 Jul 2019 11:31pm
watch out for dem haters tef! :D
I know right , they’re everywhere :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Courtsey of R/AFL - SLEDGE SESSION
PointofFingers wrote:
NEXT UP ON JERRY SPRINGER - ST KILDA WANTS TO TAKE BACK A COACH WHO WALKED OUT ON THEM YEARS AGO AND MADE THEM RAISE THEIR KIDS ON THEIR OWN. ST KILDA FANS CONFRONT ST KILDA AND TELL THEM "ARE YOU f****** KIDDING?". THERE WILL BE CHAIR THROWING

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:17am

Most neutral observers who watch the game and take off the “GT gave me meaning again” glasses realise we had been found out - which is why the guy couldn’t capitalise on a star studded list that had some very mature, top line players with a gun crop of youngsters coming through , thanks to the pathetic Watson years and failed Blight experiment.

You deal in your opinion as fact - it’s nonsense. FACTS are 1 coach at least got us to an opportunity to win a flag, multiple times....your boy failed to even get us there cause his 1 trick pony game plan/coaching style wasn’t up to it.
Tough to swallow as Lyons record is for many here FACTS are it shytes all over “GT”...
For the record I wouldn’t want Ross back and I think the coaching game may have passed Ross by or at least he needs reinventing.

But you are spot on with above.

Freo approached Ross and if he left there tomorrow IMO he’d get another gig at Carlton or North or probably us.

How many clubs went looking for GT to coach them?
Did GT coach again? Had the keys to a Ferrari and couldn’t drive it.

But when it comes to coaches let’s refer to Roo, he’d have Ross back at the Saints and I am told by a former player that he has not spoken to GT since the “Saints drugs comments” by GT.

I spoke at length with Roos dad Joe at the president function for Roos 300th and he raves about Lyon as a coach and person.

Personally I will back the Reiwoldt family opinion of Ross over some negative forumites.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is a bit like Game of Thrones.

Most people loved the showed but hated the ending, and now there are all sort of what if alternative endings theorised for what it could have been.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 1:40pm Lyon is a bit like Game of Thrones.

Most people loved the showed but hated the ending, and now there are all sort of what if alternative endings theorised for what it could have been.
:)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 11:17am

At least Lyon had all of his star studded line up to choose from when it was finals time. Lyon had a dream run with injuries and GT wasn't as lucky. Stan Alves wasn't as lucky.

The fact that Ross has failed at the big dance on several occasions is just a tiny little fact that can't be ignored. Your opinions don't stack up when it comes to silverware + state of the lists when each coach's time was up.

I was comparing the legacy that GT left and the foundations that were built under his watch as coach. Talk about a dream coaching job for anyone that stepped in as head coach in 2007.

Take a few seconds break from sticking your tongue up your heroes arsehole and check some other facts. Rodney Eade's teams were smashed in h&a by Lyon but Rocket got super close against Ross Lyon in finals...we arsed our way into some of our finals wins against Geelong and Footscray and over his whole career, Tosser has an ordinary record in finals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have a picture of that 2007 up on my hall wall.

Great top end but some pretty ordinary players also.

WTF was Luke van Rheenen?

Only two left on the list from that side though, Armo and Gears.

Rix Rox is there also along with Sweeney and Raymond.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Great top end indeed!!

The following was from TheAge in 2009: "In late 2006, a senior coach from another club said coaching the St Kilda list was akin to being offered sex with Elle Macpherson."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/sai ... e8430.html

The line about Elle is down towards the end of the section titled Brighton Cowboys.

Ross certainly benefited and apparently was the greatest coach going around according to many. Even though he hadn't won a GF and even though there were other coaches still coaching who had won multiple cups. Walls and Roos were his mates in senior positions in the media and they did a stellar job of perpetuating the myth...and what of the Saints (the metaphorical Elle) ....we we're left frustrated and in search of that elusive happy ending

A lot of Freo supporters think that Ross is doing to them exactly what he did to us
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 26 Jul 2019 5:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:48pm Great top end indeed!!

The following was from TheAge in 2009: "In late 2006, a senior coach from another club said coaching the St Kilda list was akin to being offered sex with Elle Macpherson."

The line about Elle is down towards the end of the section titled Brighton Cowboys.

Ross certainly benefited and apparently was the greatest coach going around according to many. Even though he hadn't won a GF and even though there were other coaches still coaching who had won multiple cups. Walls and Roos were his mates in senior positions in the media and they did a stellar job of perpetuating the myth...and what of the Saints (the metaphorical Elle) ....we we're left frustrated and in search of that elusive happy ending
Great post, and a fantastic must read article written on the eve of the 2009 grand final

"St Kilda's journey has involved at least three administrations, and possibly four, and a minimum of four coaches. Each time the baton was passed - or snatched - St Kilda was in a better position, financially and culturally. Despite acrimonious handovers, each regime bequeathed a better club. It sounds grandiose, but the St Kilda reinvention project has been like the quest to put a man on the moon. It has been a massive undertaking that has consumed considerable time, money and manpower. Many of those who took the first small steps have long departed. For much of the past 15 years, the flight never appeared likely to get off the ground, and a few of the crew have been lost in space.

The inner club is now unrecognisable from the storied St Kilda of the '80s, in which rock'n'roll excess, poverty and volatility were the abiding themes. This club is stable, sober and, relative to its predecessors, conservative. If it wasn't winning, it would be dull.

But it is winning. And that, to borrow the name of the club's official history, is the point of it all."

Can't say that about Tosser Lyin though. He stripped the club of it's immediate future.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I've never seen such a dominant team in h&a stumble their way through a finals series and also fail at the final hurdle

RL blamed his players in 2009 for bad kicking and denying him the glory that he so rightly deserved. That's when he totally lost me, after failing to play the right players througout that 2009 year, failing to utilise the whole playing list, failing to utilise Luke Ball in the last quarter, and failing to plan correctly for the finals that year.

samoht summed it up best in athread from a few years back
samoht wrote: Tue 23 Sep 2014 7:53am
For those who keep coming up with "if only we kicked straight" or "if only the ball bounced straight", etc and taking the focus off RL .. you need to realise that
we wouldn't have even made the 2009 GF if the Bulldogs kicked straight !!
So you can't have it one way and not the other!

Preliminary Final 2009
St Kilda Saints 0.2 3.6 7.6 9.6 60
Western Bulldogs 2.5 4.7 6.7 7.11 53

If the Bulldogs kicked 4.1 in the final term instead of 1.4 (we were lucky enough to kick 2 goals straight in the final term) they would have beaten us 11.7 to 9.6, and it would have been them - and not us - playing off for the GF!! The Bulldogs had 57 inside 50's to our dismal 40 - that's 17 more inside 50's - they probably deserved to be in the GF!!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87042&hilit=elle&start=850#p1502328

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:14pm
At least Lyon had all of his star studded line up to choose from when it was finals time. Lyon had a dream run with injuries and GT wasn't as lucky. Stan Alves wasn't as lucky.
That's an interesting point and topic Scollop.

Stan lost Spider and Lazar through impact injuries and Nicky & Buckets had family issues in 97.
All out of his control.

Forgetting impact injuries like Hamil, Goose, Penny as they are unavaoidable in a contact game.

Saints had a lot of soft tissue injuries through 04 - 05 and many Saints fans believe Ball would have been a far better player had he not played through severe OP. Isn't it funny how you don't hear that term anymore!
It was also talked about at the time that GT ruled over "Training Services" when we had so many soft tissue issues. I do not know the truth to any of that.

When Ross came on board he brought along Dave Misson from Sydney as High performance Manager and miraculously had a far better injury run, one that matched Missons results in Sydney. is that great coaching or just luck or coincidence?

Dave Francis the long time Collingwood Physio, told me back in 2009 or 2010 that Misson was the best in the business and highly rated at CA & the Swans.

Impact injuries are luck, soft tissue and fitness injuries are management.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Do you think Chris Connolly would have done any better?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 5:39pm
Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:14pm
That's an interesting point and topic Scollop.

Stan lost Spider and Lazar through impact injuries and Nicky & Buckets had family issues in 97.
All out of his control.

Forgetting impact injuries like Hamil, Goose, Penny as they are unavaoidable in a contact game.

Saints had a lot of soft tissue injuries through 04 - 05 and many Saints fans believe Ball would have been a far better player had he not played through severe OP. Isn't it funny how you don't hear that term anymore!
It was also talked about at the time that GT ruled over "Training Services" when we had so many soft tissue issues. I do not know the truth to any of that.

When Ross came on board he brought along Dave Misson from Sydney as High performance Manager and miraculously had a far better injury run, one that matched Missons results in Sydney. is that great coaching or just luck or coincidence?

Dave Francis the long time Collingwood Physio, told me back in 2009 or 2010 that Misson was the best in the business and highly rated at CA & the Swans.

Impact injuries are luck, soft tissue and fitness injuries are management.

Roo went into the game with an injury. In 2010 he had an interrupted season when he was probably right at his peak.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Luke Van Reenan, Sweeney, Raymond

They were the bottom ranked players 40+ on the list and barely played, if at all. No impact on performance in 2007.

They were taken with very low draft picks or as Rookies and were only on the list a few seasons

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And Roo recovered in time for finals and I think he even had 3 or 4 games in the final rounds to get some touch and match fitness
Milney single handedly got us over the line in half a dozen games in 2010

With regard to GT vs Lyin, the GT haters are bagging GT's coaching record and then saying that Lyin was a great coach. If you don't rate GT at all then where is the logic in bragging that Lyin is good when you only want to compare him to someone that you rate as pissweak and who in your view underperformed?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 2:15pm
Josh Battle wrote: Wed 24 Jul 2019 2:09pm Stop living in the past Teflon. You have admitted yourself on this page of this thread that you have your doubts

Roo and BJ and Nicky Dal and Joey aren't the best qualified to be making decisions about who should coach our current team and further more...they aren't the best qualified to be assessing where the list is at.
I agree with you there. They would be biased.

Bit like hostages falling in love with their captor.
I'd like to add Luke Ball to that list of champs from the era and he actually won a premiership. Lets seek his opinion on a return for Ross and his game day prowess.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:57pm

Great post, and a fantastic must read article written on the eve of the 2009 grand final

"St Kilda's journey has involved at least three administrations, and possibly four, and a minimum of four coaches. Each time the baton was passed - or snatched - St Kilda was in a better position, financially and culturally. Despite acrimonious handovers, each regime bequeathed a better club. It sounds grandiose, but the St Kilda reinvention project has been like the quest to put a man on the moon. It has been a massive undertaking that has consumed considerable time, money and manpower. Many of those who took the first small steps have long departed. For much of the past 15 years, the flight never appeared likely to get off the ground, and a few of the crew have been lost in space.

The inner club is now unrecognisable from the storied St Kilda of the '80s, in which rock'n'roll excess, poverty and volatility were the abiding themes. This club is stable, sober and, relative to its predecessors, conservative. If it wasn't winning, it would be dull.

But it is winning. And that, to borrow the name of the club's official history, is the point of it all."

Can't say that about Tosser Lyin though. He stripped the club of it's immediate future.
Yes in 2006 the Saints had a great list, but it was by then going backwards.

I also note that article was praising two of the biggest disasters to hit the Saints in our history in Greg Westerway as President and Nettlefold as CEO. You should be complaining about the havoc they wrought on the club. Imagine trying to be the Head Coach with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in the other two most important positions at the club apart from the Head Recruiter.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 6:47pm
saynta wrote: Fri 26 Jul 2019 4:57pm

Yes in 2006 the Saints had a great list, but it was by then going backwards.

I also note that article was praising two of the biggest disasters to hit the Saints in our history in Greg Westerway as President and Nettlefold as CEO. You should be complaining about the havoc they wrought on the club. Imagine trying to be the Head Coach with Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum in the other two most important positions at the club apart from the Head Recruiter.
:D :)