My solution for women umpiring at AFL Level

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: My solution for women umpiring at AFL Level

older saint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 7:44pm Here is an idea , let's get people regardless of gender, colour , race etc who can do the bloody job well.
She has been dropped 4 times this year and after yesterday is heading for number 5.
reality is she is a bad umpire and the best representation of equality is sending her back the vfl /sanfl for the rest of the year.
Where is the actual info of how many times she, and other umpires, have been dropped?

Lots on here like inventing numbers then running with them, so I am sceptical this is true.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:04pm
older saint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 7:44pm Here is an idea , let's get people regardless of gender, colour , race etc who can do the bloody job well.
She has been dropped 4 times this year and after yesterday is heading for number 5.
reality is she is a bad umpire and the best representation of equality is sending her back the vfl /sanfl for the rest of the year.
Y
Where is the actual info of how many times she, and other umpires, have been dropped?

Lots on here like inventing numbers then running with them, so I am sceptical this is true.
All I know is she was dropped for her pathetic performance last time she umpired a saints match.

Hopeless.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:22pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:04pm
Y

All I know is she was dropped for her pathetic performance last time she umpired a saints match.

Hopeless.
Yep, was well publicised. And she obviously earned her way back into the 1s.

Apart from that, where are these stats coming from?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

How many times has Hunter Clark been dropped? Obviously no good.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 9:14pm How many times has Hunter Clark been dropped? Obviously no good.
If you care to check the stats you will note that he hasn't paid a single free kick to St Kilda. So yeah, no good.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 4:42pm
Special wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:41pm
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 1:38pm
Special wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:50am Instead of the current tokenism approach that has beyond failed with our friend number 34, the AFL need a totally different approach to attracting women umpires at the top level.

My solution is to get top ex-AFLW players to start umpiring.

These women are already highly respected in footy circles and have a real feel for the game being ex players.

This strategy is still a few years away from happening
And we can all stop posting on here unless we've played the game at the highest level.
Are you and Dudley twins??!
Usually we disagree which really annoys Mum.

But I just call them as I see them.

I’m still waiting for examples of decisions she got wrong.
I can give examples where free kicks were given or not given (to both teams) but the best example I can give where she does not have a feel for the game is where she called for a ball up way too early. Purely from memory it was in the 3rd quarter and the ball went under a pack of 4 or 5 players. Rather than wait to give the ball a chance to come out, she quickly called the ball up, just as the ball released from the pack. Experienced umpires with a feel for the game would wait and give players the time to battle it out and move the ball on especially as no players were adding to the congestion. Instead she ends up causing congestion with a ball up.

Having said that, the other two umpires also made mistakes that experienced umpires shouldn’t / wouldn’t make.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Rubyjo
Club Player

Get professional netball umpires on board they are great and our games are getting closer.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:32am In my humble opinion, "gender" has sweet FA to do with whether an umpire is up to the job. Chelsea Roffey has proved to be an excellent goal umpire. Sadly, this female umpire (Eleni Glouftsis) had a "stinker" last time she officiated at one of our games, and yesterday, was hardly better. I think, in the interests of both her, and the game, she needs to go to the VFL or similar in order to get a wee bit more experience. In all honesty, the female umpire was not alone in being truly awful yesterday. I thought the THREE of them were KRUD!!!
And yet your post is dedicated to sending her back to the VFL...

And yet there are about 10 threads singling her out.

Blinkers on. Sad for the game.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Special wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 10:26am
skeptic wrote: Mon 12 Aug 2019 8:56am Just to be clear... for the men, should only ex-AFL players umpire or is this strictly for women
Maybe - men’s umpiring is slightly better. Or are you having a go at me?? Are you another of these clowns like on the ABC that advertised Men’s Ashes??

Back on topic - What do you think of my proposal?
I think it's sexist, as the poster above pointed out.

Seems you have an agenda... go vocalise it in the hole you crawled out of. More importantly, the St Kilda Football Club should be ashamed to have you as a supporter. Care to post your member ID, if you have one? We can see what they think of this sexist 'solution'.

Bold enough to post it on a forum, let's see if bold enough to stand behind it. :idea:
Last edited by Spinner on Mon 12 Aug 2019 11:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prodgers
Club Player

These are her appointments for 2019. Does not take into account getting dropped or injuries, just purely her appointments:

Round 1: Nothing
Round 2: Geelong v Melbourne Emergency
Round 3: Nothing
Round 4: Gold Coast v Carlton
Round 5: GWS v Fremantle
Round 6: Hawthorn v Carlton
Round 7: Geelong v Essendon
Round 8: St Kilda v West Coast
Round 9: GWS v Carlton Emergency
Round 10: Nothing
Round 11: GWS v Gold Coast
Round 12: Carlton v Brisbane Emergency
Round 13: Nothing
Round 14: Nothing
Round 15: Nothing
Round 16: Gold Coast v Richmond Emergency
Round 17: Nothing
Round 18: Melbourne v West Coast
Round 19: Carlton v Adelaide
Round 20: Collingwood v Gold Coast
Round 21: St Kilda v Fremantle

Past players don't necessarily make good umpires, just like they don't necessarily make good coaches and vice versa.

Unfortunately lots of good umpires miss out because they cannot run fast enough.. I don't think gender is the issue here but because she is female it makes her stand out more than the bad male umpires. I felt she wasn't any where near as bad as she was in her previous St Kilda game earlier this year.