2019 Player Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

2019 Player Review

My assessment of how each player on our list performed in 2019.

Nick Coffield – 8 games. 3 times emergency, 9 VFL games, 2 games missed through injury.
It took him a little while to get going, but I think we saw enough in his last five games to show he’ll be an asset. Big preseason needed, must be in the team Round 1 2020.

Jake Carlisle – 10 games. 1 VFL, 11 Inj.
Nowhere near his best in his 10 appearances, but the fact he got nearly half a season under his belt is a positive. A fit Carlisle will be a huge bonus in 2020.

Jack Steven – 7 games. 3 VFL, 12 Inj.
2019 was not Jack’s year. Through all the difficulties he faced this year, he still delivered what could be our last fond memories of him against Freo. Unlikely to be at the Saints next year, it hurts, but a good trade will soften the blow.

Jade Gresham – 19 games. 3 Inj.
Started the year on fire and was looking like becoming elite, but hit a rough patch mid-year. I liked his progression into the midfield and the improvement in his clearance work. Still needs to stop kicking around corners. Will be a star.

Shane Savage – 22 games.
Sav was very good in 2019. He was often asked to play well out of position and along with Brown led a very inexperienced backline. Still one of our better users. I had doubts on him in the preseason but he’ll be one of the first picked come R1 2020.

Seb Ross – 22 games.
An up and down season. Certainly didn’t find his 2017 form, but he still produced some good footy. I’m not sure he’s captain material and his defensive game needs work. I hope he hasn’t peaked already.

Luke Dunstan – 18 games. 1 Emg, 3 VFL.
Dropping him earlier in the year did him the world of good. His second half of the season was much better but still needs to hit more targets by foot. I like his toughness in the middle. Needs to go to the next level in 2020.

Blake Acres – 19 games. 3 Inj.
Acres frustrates most of us. He could be anything, he shows glimpses, but that’s all, glimpses. I’m still yet to see him play a solid four quarters. It’s hard to question a player’s mental application from afar, but Blake just looks disinterest too often. I’d explore trade options.

Jack Steele – 20 games. 2 Inj.
Jack tried his guts out in 2019. He’d didn’t seem quite right after his knee injury, but eventually worked his way back into form. Leading tackler in the comp is a great achievement. I’d still like to see him use it by foot a little better. Leadership group in 2020.

Dan Hannebery – 5 games. 2 VFL, 15 Inj.
It took a while, but once he got on the park, his class was clear. It says something about our midfielders when a bloke of Dan’s age comes in after so long out and immediately looks a cut above. If he’s fit in 2020, a Trevor Barker award isn’t out of the question.

Hunter Clark – 14 games. 6 Emg, 4 VFL.
It took longer than we’d hoped for Hunter to get going, but boy, did he get going. Every St Kilda supporter should be genuinely excited about this kid. 2020 looms as a breakout year, let’s hope he can deliver.

Max King – 0 games. 5 VFL, 17 Inj.
We only got a little taster of what Max can do, but was it delicious?! He obviously needs to spend some solid hours in the gym, but he has all the hallmarks of a superstar. Let’s hope and pray he gets a good run at it in 2020, because we’ll be a different team if he does.

Jack Lonie – 13 games. 1 VFL, 8 Inj.
He was arguably our most dangerous player early in the year. His injury seemed to go hand in hand with our form dropping off. He failed to rediscover that form upon his return, but I still think he’s a required player going forward.

Jarryn Geary – 5 games. 17 Inj.
A year to forget for the skipper. He was brave and courageous as always, but freakish injuries derailed his season. Has to be captain again in 2020, he is still comfortably the best leader at the club.

Jack Billings – 22 games.
The improvement we all wanted to see arrived. Jack was very good throughout 2019 and found the consistency he’d previously lacked. If Jack continues on this trajectory, we’ll win more games of footy in 2020.

Jack Newnes – 20 games. 1 Emg, 1 VFL, 1 Inj.
The curious case of Jack Newnes. He looked so good early, the old Jack was back, then he wasn’t. By the last quarter of the season it was just bizarre that he was in the 22. I doubt he’ll be at St Kilda in 2020.

Dylan Roberton – 0 games. 22 Inj.
The fairytale looked to be a reality in the preseason, but unfortunately it wasn’t to be this year. If he can make it back in 2020, wonderful, if not, he’s been a great servant to the club, health comes first.

Billy Longer – 1 game. 2 Emg, 7 VFL, 14 Inj.
Another one who had a year to forget. Poor form and then concussion meant we hardly saw Billy in 2019, and unfortunately I don’t think we’ll see him again. Time to refresh the back-up ruck stocks.

Rowan Marshall – 20 games. 1 Emg, 1 Inj.
It was a lot of fun watching Marshall blossom in 2019. If his improvement continues at the same rate in 2020, we’re looking at genuine superstar. A best & fairest awaits?

David Armitage
– 2 games. 2 Emg, 10 VFL, 10 Inj.
In fairness to Armo, it seemed like a line had been put through his name before the season started, but he banged the door down and got into the team. It didn’t last long but at least we got to see him one last time in the red, white and black. Farewell to a wonderful soldier.

Ben Long – 16 games. 3 Emg, 4 VFL, 1 Inj.
I’m not quite ready to buy into the Ben Long hype just yet. Too often he looks like taking control of game before going unsighted for an entire quarter or more. He has the tools, he just needs to play four quarters of footy.

Nathan Brown – 16 games. 4 Emg, 3 VFL.
Reliable ol’ Browny. I still can’t work out how he got dropped three times. He was rarely beaten in 2019 and provided valuable direction to guys like Battle & Wilkie. Gets another year for mine.

Jack Bytel – 0 games. 22 Inj.
There’s a lot of excitement about this kid, despite the fact he didn’t play a game at any level in 2019. Let’s hope the hype is right and we don’t have another Daniel Markworth scenario.

Logan Austin – 0 games. 1 VFL, 21 Inj.
Bit of a forgotten man is Austin. Especially given he looked pretty good late last year. If he gets himself right for 2020, suddenly our defensive depth looks very strong.

Dean Kent – 13 games. 9 Inj.
He’s an interesting one, opinions seem to be divided. I tend to fall more in the list clogger camp, but there were times in 2019 where he looked dangerous up forward. I’m not sure we’re on the right track if he’s in the team in 2020.

Josh Battle – 19 games. 1 Emg, 1 VFL, 2 Inj.
We’ve got one here. Josh took to his new defensive role like a 200 game player in 2019, I actually can’t remember him losing a contest. I’m excited to watch this bloke over the next decade.

Josh Bruce – 22 games.
For all the ups and downs in 2019, Brucey never stopped trying his guts out. I love his endeavor and passion. He appears to be one of too few who actually give a f… . Let’s hope his 2019 form continues in 2020. Put him in the leadership group.

Tim Membrey – 22 games.
He continues to impress for a bloke of his size playing the roles he’s asked to. 44 goals is a great return. Imagine how good he (and Bruce) could be if we had a genuine full forward?!

Jimmy Webster – 8 games. 3 VFL, 11 Inj.
Bizarre year for Jimmy. Played injured when he shouldn’t have, then we never saw him again. He seemed to have a different injury every week. We need him fit and firing in 2020 if we’re going to improve. I feel many have forgotten just how good he is.

Ed Phillips – 4 games. 4 Emg, 9 VFL, 7 Inj.
Disappointing year for Ed. He was talked up preseason and looked ready to take the next step, but ultimately he went backwards. I still think he has upside, but 2020 will be make or break.

Brandon White – 1 game. 5 Emg, 14 VFL, 4 Inj.
I dare say every St Kilda supporter would love the club to come out and explain why this bloke didn’t play more footy. There’s obviously a reason, but form and talent aren’t it. Let’s hope he can correct whatever the issue is, because he’s got the potential.

Paddy McCartin – 0 games. 22 Inj.
Another year, another write off for Paddy. I really feel sorry for the guy but it’s time to cut our losses if the right trade presents itself. It’s a shame, but that’s footy.

Ben Paton – 13 games. 5 Emg, 4 VFL, 3 Inj.
I liked Paton’s progress in 2019. I’m not sure many of us had him in our best 22 preseason, but he looks a player. Despite the St Kilda jumper on him, he can hit a target. For that reason alone, there’s reason to be excited.

Matty Parker – 17 games. 3 Emg, 2 VFL.
An excitement machine early, but the rigors of a full AFL season caught up with him in the end. That said, there’s still plenty of reason to believe this guy has a bright future at AFL level.

Jack Sinclair – 22 games.
Of the 7 players who played every game in 2019, Sincs is probably the luckiest. He had some solid performances, but overall his season was below expectation. He needs to find the next level if he’s going to be part of a good team. I’d explore trade options.

Daniel McKenzie – 15 games. 1 Emg, 4 VFL, 2 Inj.
I was a big wrap for DMac prior to 2019, but he went backwards this season. Life wouldn’t have been easy in our depleted backline, but McKenzie’s disposal and decision making continually let him down. Hopefully he bounces back in 2020.

Bailey Rice – 0 games. 7 Emg, 16 VFL, 2 Inj.
It seems Bailey’s papers are already stamped. Inability to break into a side that was so heavily impacted by injuries says it all. He’s a good VFL footballer, but that is about it. Delisting seems likely.

Oscar Clavarino – 0 games. 14 VFL, 8 Inj.
Probably would have found himself making his debut in Round 1 if not for injury cruelly ending his first preseason hit out. When he got back out there, he struggled to impress at VFL level. That said, I still think he has a bright future.

Darragh Joyce – 3 games. 8 Emg, 14 VFL.
He’s getting better, but still looked completely out of his depth at times. His late season VFL form was encouraging and he looked quite dangerous up forward for Sandy. Expect vast improvement in 2020.

Nick Hind – 11 games. 7 Emg, 7 VFL.
After being named emergency 7 times, he broke into the team and stayed there. That’s the sign of a good footballer. Hind has been one of the finds of 2019, but he needs to build on that in 2020.

Robbie Young – 3 games. 2 Emg, 15 VFL, 2 Inj.
Looked exciting on debut, but offered little following that. Seems a poor man’s version of Parker or Long, but has time on his side. Needs a big 2020.

Lewis Pierce – 1 game. 1 Emg, 20 Inj.
Another victim of concussion who looks like he may be at the end of his AFL journey. It’s hard to believe he was picked ahead of Marshall in Round 1 in hindsight. Delisting looks certain.

Jonathon Marsh – 5 games. 4 Emg, 12 VFL.
A late addition to the list, Marsh proved to be handy defensive back up. He seemed a little off the pace, but that’s to be expected. With a full preseason under his belt, he has the ability to push for best 22.

Callum Wilke – 22 games.
Easily the find of the year. No one would have predicted this bloke would play every game in his debut season, but he stepped into the void left by Roberton absolutely perfectly. Really enjoyed watching him play in 2019.

Sam Alabakis
– 0 games. 5 VFL, 16 Inj.
Other than a handful of games for Frankston, Sam was hardly seen in 2019. Let’s hope 2020 is a year of solid progress for the big fella.

Doulton Langlands – 3 games. 7 Emg, 12 VFL, 2 Inj.
His excellent VFL form was rewarded with an impressive debut against the Dogs. He showed enough in his 3 games to suggest he might just make it, after looking a long way off it last year.

Sam Rowe – 1 game. 6 Emg, 13 VFL, 2 Inj.
Was always selected purely as back up, but his guidance to some of our young players has been valuable. Nice to see him get his 100th. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in a coaching / mentoring role next year.

Jack Mayo – 0 games. 10 VFL.
Mid-season draft selection who seemed to take to VFL footy pretty well. He has a long way to go, but he’s on the right track.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2019 Player Review

Excellent Beno88. Summed up players like White, Clavarino, Sinclair, Paton, Hind, Parker, Kent, Long, Clark, Coffield & Carlisle perfectly.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

good writeup beno.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Well done. A good quick read summary. All around, not too much to differ with.

StPeter
Club Player

Excellent review.

I agree with most of it although I wouldn't trade Sinclair. He is probably our most creative user of the ball but just needs to feature more in the play.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

StPeter wrote:Excellent review.

I agree with most of it although I wouldn't trade Sinclair. He is probably our most creative user of the ball but just needs to feature more in the play.
Well done Beno and thanks to St Peter who typed exactly my thinking. We can’t trade decent ball users. I e have so few ../

Always loyal
minneapolis
Club Player

Very good Beno.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
ChookNite

Beno, I've been reading this forum for 4years without having an account and I'm pleased to say your post displays some real football IQ. Can't really fault your post. The one aspect I slightly disagree with is Kent, he is a doer and I think you will see that. His best work is the stuff only the coaching box see.

Here's a few things I'd like to add in support of your assessments:

Bobby Carlisle can only be judged when he's played injury free. Obviously not the most agile as we all know so can't expect anything with no preseason. He wasn't disinterested as some suggested, rather he needed the touch, body contact and some catchup on his running angles which made him appear a shadow of himself in the last 11weeks.

Lonie. Displayed elite qualities early. Sharp in a word. His injury very strongly correlated with our season drop and he was unable to regain his sharpness. When Simpson ran off him the other week that was an example of what happens when you have to play catchup on match fitness after missing a period of time. To anyone who disagrees watch Lonie's first few games, he was sharp and his low centre of gravity made him imo (at the time) the best small forward in the comp the way he was pouncing on ground balls at speed.

Webster. I hope this guy gets back. Belatedly, I think when this guy went down in 2016 midseason, it derailed our season. He has penetration, speed, toughness and plays ok on talls.

Acres. No disrespect to Blake but I think he's a dumb footballer. I would trade, his footy IQ reminds me of a soccer player. Has trade value and is a good player but decision making scares me. Wonder if he can go to Freo in the Hill move and leave us with our first round and Constable..?

Sinclair. I agree with the other posters. His footy smarts is the opposite of Blake. That said, for the right price. Deledio for Prestia and Caddy.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks ChookNite. I like what you’ve added. You’re probably right about Sinclair, as are a few other posters, his disposal quality is rare on our list, I just worry that he has already peaked and is too easily exposed going the other way. I hope Jack proves me wrong.

damienc
Club Player

Beno88 wrote: Mon 26 Aug 2019 3:54pm My assessment of how each player on our list performed in 2019.

Nick Coffield – 8 games. 3 times emergency, 9 VFL games, 2 games missed through injury.
It took him a little while to get going, but I think we saw enough in his last five games to show he’ll be an asset. Big preseason needed, must be in the team Round 1 2020.

Jake Carlisle – 10 games. 1 VFL, 11 Inj.
Nowhere near his best in his 10 appearances, but the fact he got nearly half a season under his belt is a positive. A fit Carlisle will be a huge bonus in 2020.

Jack Steven – 7 games. 3 VFL, 12 Inj.
2019 was not Jack’s year. Through all the difficulties he faced this year, he still delivered what could be our last fond memories of him against Freo. Unlikely to be at the Saints next year, it hurts, but a good trade will soften the blow.

Jade Gresham – 19 games. 3 Inj.
Started the year on fire and was looking like becoming elite, but hit a rough patch mid-year. I liked his progression into the midfield and the improvement in his clearance work. Still needs to stop kicking around corners. Will be a star.

Shane Savage – 22 games.
Sav was very good in 2019. He was often asked to play well out of position and along with Brown led a very inexperienced backline. Still one of our better users. I had doubts on him in the preseason but he’ll be one of the first picked come R1 2020.

Seb Ross – 22 games.
An up and down season. Certainly didn’t find his 2017 form, but he still produced some good footy. I’m not sure he’s captain material and his defensive game needs work. I hope he hasn’t peaked already.

Luke Dunstan – 18 games. 1 Emg, 3 VFL.
Dropping him earlier in the year did him the world of good. His second half of the season was much better but still needs to hit more targets by foot. I like his toughness in the middle. Needs to go to the next level in 2020.

Blake Acres – 19 games. 3 Inj.
Acres frustrates most of us. He could be anything, he shows glimpses, but that’s all, glimpses. I’m still yet to see him play a solid four quarters. It’s hard to question a player’s mental application from afar, but Blake just looks disinterest too often. I’d explore trade options.

Jack Steele – 20 games. 2 Inj.
Jack tried his guts out in 2019. He’d didn’t seem quite right after his knee injury, but eventually worked his way back into form. Leading tackler in the comp is a great achievement. I’d still like to see him use it by foot a little better. Leadership group in 2020.

Dan Hannebery – 5 games. 2 VFL, 15 Inj.
It took a while, but once he got on the park, his class was clear. It says something about our midfielders when a bloke of Dan’s age comes in after so long out and immediately looks a cut above. If he’s fit in 2020, a Trevor Barker award isn’t out of the question.

Hunter Clark – 14 games. 6 Emg, 4 VFL.
It took longer than we’d hoped for Hunter to get going, but boy, did he get going. Every St Kilda supporter should be genuinely excited about this kid. 2020 looms as a breakout year, let’s hope he can deliver.

Max King – 0 games. 5 VFL, 17 Inj.
We only got a little taster of what Max can do, but was it delicious?! He obviously needs to spend some solid hours in the gym, but he has all the hallmarks of a superstar. Let’s hope and pray he gets a good run at it in 2020, because we’ll be a different team if he does.

Jack Lonie – 13 games. 1 VFL, 8 Inj.
He was arguably our most dangerous player early in the year. His injury seemed to go hand in hand with our form dropping off. He failed to rediscover that form upon his return, but I still think he’s a required player going forward.

Jarryn Geary – 5 games. 17 Inj.
A year to forget for the skipper. He was brave and courageous as always, but freakish injuries derailed his season. Has to be captain again in 2020, he is still comfortably the best leader at the club.

Jack Billings – 22 games.
The improvement we all wanted to see arrived. Jack was very good throughout 2019 and found the consistency he’d previously lacked. If Jack continues on this trajectory, we’ll win more games of footy in 2020.

Jack Newnes – 20 games. 1 Emg, 1 VFL, 1 Inj.
The curious case of Jack Newnes. He looked so good early, the old Jack was back, then he wasn’t. By the last quarter of the season it was just bizarre that he was in the 22. I doubt he’ll be at St Kilda in 2020.

Dylan Roberton – 0 games. 22 Inj.
The fairytale looked to be a reality in the preseason, but unfortunately it wasn’t to be this year. If he can make it back in 2020, wonderful, if not, he’s been a great servant to the club, health comes first.

Billy Longer – 1 game. 2 Emg, 7 VFL, 14 Inj.
Another one who had a year to forget. Poor form and then concussion meant we hardly saw Billy in 2019, and unfortunately I don’t think we’ll see him again. Time to refresh the back-up ruck stocks.

Rowan Marshall – 20 games. 1 Emg, 1 Inj.
It was a lot of fun watching Marshall blossom in 2019. If his improvement continues at the same rate in 2020, we’re looking at genuine superstar. A best & fairest awaits?

David Armitage
– 2 games. 2 Emg, 10 VFL, 10 Inj.
In fairness to Armo, it seemed like a line had been put through his name before the season started, but he banged the door down and got into the team. It didn’t last long but at least we got to see him one last time in the red, white and black. Farewell to a wonderful soldier.

Ben Long – 16 games. 3 Emg, 4 VFL, 1 Inj.
I’m not quite ready to buy into the Ben Long hype just yet. Too often he looks like taking control of game before going unsighted for an entire quarter or more. He has the tools, he just needs to play four quarters of footy.

Nathan Brown – 16 games. 4 Emg, 3 VFL.
Reliable ol’ Browny. I still can’t work out how he got dropped three times. He was rarely beaten in 2019 and provided valuable direction to guys like Battle & Wilkie. Gets another year for mine.

Jack Bytel – 0 games. 22 Inj.
There’s a lot of excitement about this kid, despite the fact he didn’t play a game at any level in 2019. Let’s hope the hype is right and we don’t have another Daniel Markworth scenario.

Logan Austin – 0 games. 1 VFL, 21 Inj.
Bit of a forgotten man is Austin. Especially given he looked pretty good late last year. If he gets himself right for 2020, suddenly our defensive depth looks very strong.

Dean Kent – 13 games. 9 Inj.
He’s an interesting one, opinions seem to be divided. I tend to fall more in the list clogger camp, but there were times in 2019 where he looked dangerous up forward. I’m not sure we’re on the right track if he’s in the team in 2020.

Josh Battle – 19 games. 1 Emg, 1 VFL, 2 Inj.
We’ve got one here. Josh took to his new defensive role like a 200 game player in 2019, I actually can’t remember him losing a contest. I’m excited to watch this bloke over the next decade.

Josh Bruce – 22 games.
For all the ups and downs in 2019, Brucey never stopped trying his guts out. I love his endeavor and passion. He appears to be one of too few who actually give a f… . Let’s hope his 2019 form continues in 2020. Put him in the leadership group.

Tim Membrey – 22 games.
He continues to impress for a bloke of his size playing the roles he’s asked to. 44 goals is a great return. Imagine how good he (and Bruce) could be if we had a genuine full forward?!

Jimmy Webster – 8 games. 3 VFL, 11 Inj.
Bizarre year for Jimmy. Played injured when he shouldn’t have, then we never saw him again. He seemed to have a different injury every week. We need him fit and firing in 2020 if we’re going to improve. I feel many have forgotten just how good he is.

Ed Phillips – 4 games. 4 Emg, 9 VFL, 7 Inj.
Disappointing year for Ed. He was talked up preseason and looked ready to take the next step, but ultimately he went backwards. I still think he has upside, but 2020 will be make or break.

Brandon White – 1 game. 5 Emg, 14 VFL, 4 Inj.
I dare say every St Kilda supporter would love the club to come out and explain why this bloke didn’t play more footy. There’s obviously a reason, but form and talent aren’t it. Let’s hope he can correct whatever the issue is, because he’s got the potential.

Paddy McCartin – 0 games. 22 Inj.
Another year, another write off for Paddy. I really feel sorry for the guy but it’s time to cut our losses if the right trade presents itself. It’s a shame, but that’s footy.

Ben Paton – 13 games. 5 Emg, 4 VFL, 3 Inj.
I liked Paton’s progress in 2019. I’m not sure many of us had him in our best 22 preseason, but he looks a player. Despite the St Kilda jumper on him, he can hit a target. For that reason alone, there’s reason to be excited.

Matty Parker – 17 games. 3 Emg, 2 VFL.
An excitement machine early, but the rigors of a full AFL season caught up with him in the end. That said, there’s still plenty of reason to believe this guy has a bright future at AFL level.

Jack Sinclair – 22 games.
Of the 7 players who played every game in 2019, Sincs is probably the luckiest. He had some solid performances, but overall his season was below expectation. He needs to find the next level if he’s going to be part of a good team. I’d explore trade options.

Daniel McKenzie – 15 games. 1 Emg, 4 VFL, 2 Inj.
I was a big wrap for DMac prior to 2019, but he went backwards this season. Life wouldn’t have been easy in our depleted backline, but McKenzie’s disposal and decision making continually let him down. Hopefully he bounces back in 2020.

Bailey Rice – 0 games. 7 Emg, 16 VFL, 2 Inj.
It seems Bailey’s papers are already stamped. Inability to break into a side that was so heavily impacted by injuries says it all. He’s a good VFL footballer, but that is about it. Delisting seems likely.

Oscar Clavarino – 0 games. 14 VFL, 8 Inj.
Probably would have found himself making his debut in Round 1 if not for injury cruelly ending his first preseason hit out. When he got back out there, he struggled to impress at VFL level. That said, I still think he has a bright future.

Darragh Joyce – 3 games. 8 Emg, 14 VFL.
He’s getting better, but still looked completely out of his depth at times. His late season VFL form was encouraging and he looked quite dangerous up forward for Sandy. Expect vast improvement in 2020.

Nick Hind – 11 games. 7 Emg, 7 VFL.
After being named emergency 7 times, he broke into the team and stayed there. That’s the sign of a good footballer. Hind has been one of the finds of 2019, but he needs to build on that in 2020.

Robbie Young – 3 games. 2 Emg, 15 VFL, 2 Inj.
Looked exciting on debut, but offered little following that. Seems a poor man’s version of Parker or Long, but has time on his side. Needs a big 2020.

Lewis Pierce – 1 game. 1 Emg, 20 Inj.
Another victim of concussion who looks like he may be at the end of his AFL journey. It’s hard to believe he was picked ahead of Marshall in Round 1 in hindsight. Delisting looks certain.

Jonathon Marsh – 5 games. 4 Emg, 12 VFL.
A late addition to the list, Marsh proved to be handy defensive back up. He seemed a little off the pace, but that’s to be expected. With a full preseason under his belt, he has the ability to push for best 22.

Callum Wilke – 22 games.
Easily the find of the year. No one would have predicted this bloke would play every game in his debut season, but he stepped into the void left by Roberton absolutely perfectly. Really enjoyed watching him play in 2019.

Sam Alabakis
– 0 games. 5 VFL, 16 Inj.
Other than a handful of games for Frankston, Sam was hardly seen in 2019. Let’s hope 2020 is a year of solid progress for the big fella.

Doulton Langlands – 3 games. 7 Emg, 12 VFL, 2 Inj.
His excellent VFL form was rewarded with an impressive debut against the Dogs. He showed enough in his 3 games to suggest he might just make it, after looking a long way off it last year.

Sam Rowe – 1 game. 6 Emg, 13 VFL, 2 Inj.
Was always selected purely as back up, but his guidance to some of our young players has been valuable. Nice to see him get his 100th. Wouldn’t mind seeing him in a coaching / mentoring role next year.

Jack Mayo – 0 games. 10 VFL.
Mid-season draft selection who seemed to take to VFL footy pretty well. He has a long way to go, but he’s on the right track.
Great job. Much appreciated.

St Loxton
Club Player

Nice work Beno88.
Spot on about Webster, always competes, is tough, and like our Captain runs forward lines (not backwards).
Also believe we didn't see the real Carlisle when he returned.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Actually without a coach who does the exit interviews? We all know the disclosed form, strengths/weaknesses, potential and past used daters, but we don't know the off field qualities each player brings - it takes genius to take all that, develop a list plan and execute. We are so close to going exponentially up but the next coach and ceo appointment positions are so critical. We can't reprise the last 8yrs results again and expect to exist in 2028. Rating Lonie is a symptom of how we accept so little (no pun) if it is packaged with a try hard frown.