TRADES: Fact v Fiction

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

TRADES: Fact v Fiction

Our season has been over for two weeks. The trade period officially doesn't start for a month. Our coach for 2020 to 2022 was announced only a day ago. In that two weeks we've been linked to the following trades...

Brad Hill - Still linked but price unknown
Tomlinson - now linked to Melbourne
Keath - now linked to the Bulldogs
Jones - Still linked but price unknown
Ryder - Still linked but price unknown
Amon - now re-signed with Port
Gray - Still linked but price unknown
B. King - unhappy at GCS but will stay there for 2020 before coming to StK or Ess
Bruce - to Bulldogs / Pies, Bulldogs with unknown offer
Carlisle - to Hawthorn but now happy & never talk of leaving

Questions:
Have I missed anyone?
How does this get out when it's not even the official trade period? The Clubs / The Player Managers / The Players or simply best guess / unreliable journalism & social media mutterings
How do we sort the fact from fiction?

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: TRADES: Fact v Fiction

Just get B. King now and stop wasting time. Offers a lot more marquee value than Jones or Keath.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Steven?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
theoracle
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 4:10pm B. King - unhappy at GCS but will stay there for 2020 before coming to StK or Ess
Seriously? Essendon? Where does that come from?? B King will come to St K after serving 1 more year's prison on the Gold Coast.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

theoracle wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 4:38pm
Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 4:10pm B. King - unhappy at GCS but will stay there for 2020 before coming to StK or Ess
Seriously? Essendon? Where does that come from?? B King will come to St K after serving 1 more year's prison on the Gold Coast.
Yep, was mooted in the paper a week or so a go. I don't make things up, papers might. Perhaps GCS fed that to the paper.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 4:36pmSteven?
I forgot...

Steven - keen to get to Geelong, Geelong keen to get him but may have cooled with the thought of Higgins being gettable.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 4:52pm
I forgot...

Steven - keen to get to Geelong, Geelong keen to get him but may have cooled with the thought of Higgins being gettable.
See this astounds me (not having a crack at the poster but the concept)... Higgins vs Steven. I’d take Jack every day of the week and it’s not close

I’m starting to get the sense that really undervalue Jack. Absolute champ

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 5:09pm
I forgot...

See this astounds me (not having a crack at the poster but the concept)... Higgins vs Steven. I’d take Jack every day of the week and it’s not close

I know the feeling you've got skeptic, probably a question best asked to supporters of neither the Saints or Kangas. It will also just take into account past year or two. Not so much a career question but current value & form.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 4:10pm
How do we sort the fact from fiction?

Difficult. I think a number of your list were more scuttlebutt or player manager's testing the waters.

Hill is the one I think we are into the most, and also that we have the most chance of actually landing.

Tomlinson I think we wanted, but he always had many clubs chasing him.

Keath wants to come back to Vic, but has at least 2 other clubs chasing him.

Newnes is ruored to have several clubs interested. If so we may get some FA compo.

Acres may be used as part of the Hill trade. Maybe pick 14 plus Acres so that we can hang onto pick 5.

Gray. I hop note not

OVERALL.

A month to go and so anything can happen.

Hill I am pretty confident we will land.
Bruce to get us Dogs first round. What we actually then do with that I have no idea. Maybe that and a pick from next year for Crouch?
Steven to Cats for not much.

What will happen?
All in all it would not surprise if we gain Hill, lose Bruce, Steven, Newnes and maybe Acres plus enter the draft with a pick in the first round and several picks in the second and third.
I think we will keep our 2020 first rounder as we will be hopeful of gaining B King in the next trade period.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we blew it a fair bit not facilitating a Steven trade to the Cats last year. not only a year with him out, but he has severely devalued his worth in that time. If a player his age wants out, especially with genuine mental heath issues, then let him go.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Sanctorum
Club Player

Jack Steven is more likely than not to go to Geelong, there is a real concern that if he stays at St Kilda he may well suffer further mental health issues and miss a lot of games, so it would be to their mutual benefits.

It has been reported that Geelong could agree to release Charlie Constable as part of a Steven trade, which would bring in a type of player like Blake Acres, who could be part of the trade to bring Brad Hill over to the Saints.

Constable has a Rising Star nomination but has been unable to break back into the seniors and apparently wants to go to a team where he will - he was a 2nd round draft pick in 2017 (from Sandringham Dragons) but played only 7 games.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
barneyboyz
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 7:28pm Jack Steven is more likely than not to go to Geelong, there is a real concern that if he stays at St Kilda he may well suffer further mental health issues and miss a lot of games, so it would be to their mutual benefits.

It has been reported that Geelong could agree to release Charlie Constable as part of a Steven trade, which would bring in a type of player like Blake Acres, who could be part of the trade to bring Brad Hill over to the Saints.

Constable has a Rising Star nomination but has been unable to break back into the seniors and apparently wants to go to a team where he will - he was a 2nd round draft pick in 2017 (from Sandringham Dragons) but played only 7 games.
Ha, so there's another 'Blake Acres' type player who is developing like Blake Acres (slowly)??? I thought Blake Acres was the only 'Blake Acres' type player to develop like Blake Acres (slowly)?

How many more 'Blake Acres' type players are out there? I wish all of the 'Blake Acres' type players could be 'Bont' type players, and be guns from day 1 (although now I want them to be more 'Cripps' type players...Bont had a shyte one on the weekend) :lol:

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 5:09pm
I forgot...

I was thinking the same thing. I'd want them both though.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Steven will stay a Saint

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I thought the rumour was that Amon was keen to come to St Kilda.

Obviously not.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
diddley
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 11:08am I thought the rumour was that Amon was keen to come to St Kilda.

Obviously not.
Saints asked the question last year, and again this year.
It didn’t ever seem all that firm this year though.
I believe he re-signed a couple of weeks ago at port.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Jack Steven plays for Geelong last Friday night I reckon they win.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

desertsaint wrote: Sat 07 Sep 2019 6:14pm we blew it a fair bit not facilitating a Steven trade to the Cats last year. not only a year with him out, but he has severely devalued his worth in that time. If a player his age wants out, especially with genuine mental heath issues, then let him go.
Correct. I think Richo thought he was doing the right thing in calling out Jack and making him stay (and yes, it was probably just as much for selfish reasons as anything else - hard to blame him for that when W/L decide your personal future). In any case - last year we could've forced a 1st rounder from them. This year? Lucky to get a 2nd (even if I do personally think he's worth more than that)

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 2:23pm Jack Steven plays for Geelong last Friday night I reckon they win.
Disagree. Geelong getting too cute and not playing Stanley (and in the process stuffing their own defensive structure not having Blicsavs there) is much more the reason they lost. And also, that their KP game style (that works on a ground with no wings) doesn't translate to the G against a side that spreads hard to the space.

Go you red, black & white warriors
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 3:00pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 2:23pm Jack Steven plays for Geelong last Friday night I reckon they win.
Disagree. Geelong getting too cute and not playing Stanley (and in the process stuffing their own defensive structure not having Blicsavs there) is much more the reason they lost. And also, that their KP game style (that works on a ground with no wings) doesn't translate to the G against a side that spreads hard to the space.
He would have made 10 points difference. The above is also true but I think he would have had a major impact.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Barometer
Club Player

Not this years Jack Steven.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I really don't know why geelong would want steven
The pies made them look old .
If they didn't have kelly and dangerfield last week they would've lost by allot more.
Kelly look like going west next year
Why pick up another old guy who would need a massive pre season to regain the pace he had 2 years ago
I reckon wet toast are a good chance to beat them this week .

In red white and black from 73
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 4:46pm I really don't know why geelong would want steven
The pies made them look old .
If they didn't have kelly and dangerfield last week they would've lost by allot more.
Kelly look like going west next year
Why pick up another old guy who would need a massive pre season to regain the pace he had 2 years ago
I reckon wet toast are a good chance to beat them this week .

I agree,

If I were the Cats I would take the two or three picks that they will get from that to accelerate their rejigg. They have a number of good young players, but now is the time to move out some oldies, and really develop a new core to move forward by adding more youth to what they have.

If they wit another year to do this it could really push them backwards.

The lure of Premiership Cups does burn bright though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 09 Sep 2019 3:00pm
Going into a final without a ruck is stupidity. Ablett was pretty awful as well.

Given the Cats don't value Stanley, I wouldn't mind getting him back as the 'steak knives' in the Jack deal.