Dockers want pick 5 for Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Re: Dockers want pick 5 for Hill

evertonfc wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 12:34pm
Spinner wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 10:10am
kalsaint wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 1:36am
johnnyrayflamingo wrote: Thu 12 Sep 2019 7:43pm The trade for Hill is red hot going to happen.

I think Pick 5 is ok given we are getting an AA wingman at 26.

Unless we split pick 5 with 11 and 13 with GWS and give 11 to Freo for Hill.

Interesting times.
Splitting the pick 5 for increased trade dips is great from the Saints but the Dockers will come hard on their insistence for pick 5. We aren't in the strong position here and should just do it and move on with other options thereafter. I wouldn't want to see another pick5 Carlisle battle with a rival club that distracts us from the bigger picture. I'm just glad the club is looking at players who could develop the team. Removing Bruce wont be helpful in this regard for forward structure and forward player development. Its time we recognised that we cant develop youth quickly unless the basics of the system are understood and upheld.
Thank god you are no where near our negotiating table.

As another poster said. Standing ground got us Gresham along with Carlisle for pick 5.
100%.

Let's split 5 for 11 and 13. Pick 11 should be enough to get it done.

We aren't in the strong position here and should just do it and move on with other options thereafter.
Rubbish. We are in the strongest position. An unhappy player wants to play at our club.

Fremantle can't afford to to risk Brad Hill sitting out a year, or going at 50% while he plays out his contract.

They picked him up for a second round pick, paid him fairly moderately, enjoyed his best years, and now will gain handsomely from his services. It's an unbelievable win for them.

If we can split or Pick 5 and offer them something around the 10-12 mark, we should stay incredibly strong on that. Quite frankly, if they don't want that, they can get stuffed - Brad Hill won't make or break this club.

Looking at the top five prospects this year, there's huge talent there, and they can deliver 13+ years of service. Effectively, we are giving up a 250-game player.
I think Brad Hill coming to the Saints is a given. He is a quality player who will make a huge difference.

The Dockers want pick 5 which will probably end up being pick 6 if the Suns get a priority pick.

Hill is worth that pick but I am sure the Saints would like to convert six into two first round picks and use one to get Hill with Blake Acres as a sweetener.

From our point of view it would be great if we could make that deal happen. I doubt that we can. Fremantle will play hardball as you might expect for a player of Hill's quality and two years to go on his contract.

Whatever happens, it is very good news for our footy club. Bradley Hill is a class act, in top form. He gets the ball a lot, has excellent disposal skills and can kick a goal. He will add some real polish and class to our midfield.

Great get.

To the top
SS Life Member

Again, why are some on this Site so keen to get rid of Acres?

I just do not understand it.

If you look at our wins over the past 3 seasons Acres has been central to a considerable number of those wins when moved to the midfield.

Why is opinion that we retain Ross, Steele and Dunstan, who clog our midfield and are not able to be deployed to a forward 50 role complimenting rotations, but get rid of Acres?

Acres is the most damaging of those 4 by the length of the straight.

And some want to get rid of him, 70 odd games into his career.

The mind boggles.

longtimesaint
Club Player

We definitely want to keep Acres.
Pick 5 for Hill is more than enough as Acres is just starting to fulfill his potential.
If Hill moves to Melbourne with his partner and tells Freo he is not coming back they do not have the upper hand any more.

One year will be our year
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

If you'd offer me Pick 5, and the 250+ games of service that comes with it, or Brad Hill, who will be 27 next year, there's no question IMO that Pick 5 is more valuable.

If we were in the flag window, great. If he was 23, I'd do it.

But his market value shrinks to almost nothing inside three years. By that point, Pick 5 will be 21 years old.

So let's split Pick 5, grab Hill with a later pick - let Freo wait until the last hour of trading - and find a way to get something else of value.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Any pick is an unknown, probably a 50/50 at best to make it to
100 games. With Hill we know what we are getting. And it's proven to be very good.

Pick 5 for Hill and pick 24.

Would be elated with this result

Nee!
damienc
Club Player

To the top wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 4:28pm Again, why are some on this Site so keen to get rid of Acres?

I just do not understand it.

If you look at our wins over the past 3 seasons Acres has been central to a considerable number of those wins when moved to the midfield.

Why is opinion that we retain Ross, Steele and Dunstan, who clog our midfield and are not able to be deployed to a forward 50 role complimenting rotations, but get rid of Acres?

Acres is the most damaging of those 4 by the length of the straight.

And some want to get rid of him, 70 odd games into his career.

The mind boggles.
You are not seriously suggesting Blake Acres is a better player than Brad Hill? I am a great admirer of Acres but if he needs to go for Brad Hill to become a Saint, then so be it.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

It’s pretty simple we need to keep Acres!

PADDLEPOP1000
To the top
SS Life Member

Without being rude, a poster supports getting rid of Acres (in response to my assessment that Acres is a required player)

But my summary of any credibility attaching to that poster is that he should return to kindergarten and study reading comprehension

At no stage did I suggest that Acres was a better player than Hill - but they will compliment each other with their potency

What I did contribute is that Acres has abilities in advance of the abilities of Ross, Steele and Dunstan none of whom can rotate thru the front 6 as Acres can and does

damienc
Club Player

To the top wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 8:41pm Without being rude, a poster supports getting rid of Acres (in response to my assessment that Acres is a required player)

But my summary of any credibility attaching to that poster is that he should return to kindergarten and study reading comprehension

At no stage did I suggest that Acres was a better player than Hill - but they will compliment each other with their potency

What I did contribute is that Acres has abilities in advance of the abilities of Ross, Steele and Dunstan none of whom can rotate thru the front 6 as Acres can and does
Well if you intention was not to be rude you failed miserably.

Anyway, putting aside your insult where it belongs, the Dockers are going to want something for Hill. Pick 5 will probably not get it done for a player who's come off his best season in footy and has two years to go in his contact.

It seems logical, clearly not to you. that Acres being a Sandgroper will be a player that Fremantle might ask for in addition to pick 5. Quite frankly, I hope you are right and I am wrong and we get to keep Acres.

Bit I also live in the real world. Fremantle won't give up Hill without a fight.

To the top
SS Life Member

So Pick 5 AND Acres for Hill

The mind boggles

That is really a model which will progress the St Kilda cause

Pick 5 is maybe “overs”, but it is what we have

Plus we have King and Bytel as recruits - along with Hill

So a mitigating circumstance cushioning probably paying “overs”

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Pick five AND Acres? Heck pick 5 is overs.
I’d do Acres and a late first rounder. Very late.
Got a few fans still clinging to the belief Acres will be special. Comes a time when you realise we’ll never see close to his full potential - just doesn’t have the eye of the tiger. Maybe a move will stir something in him, maybe not.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Is pick 5 necessarily overs for a player who will be our highest paid?

I’d rather split and try and send a teens pick but thinking it’s probably not that much overs.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 5:07am Pick five AND Acres? Heck pick 5 is overs.
Got a few fans still clinging to the belief Acres will be special. Comes a time when you realise we’ll never see close to his full potential - just doesn’t have the eye of the tiger. Maybe a move will stir something in him, maybe not.
You’re absolutely dreaming. Seriously

Acres and a very late first-rounder won't get us anything.

It will need our first prick.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The big thing against us is that now Ro$$ the To$$ has left Freo they instantly become more appealing to 80% of AFL players!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Keep Acres. Let him play under Ratten and we will see who we have. At worst his stock won't fall by the end of 2020.

Nee!
realdeal
Club Player

damienc wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 8:49pm
To the top wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 8:41pm Without being rude, a poster supports getting rid of Acres (in response to my assessment that Acres is a required player)

Anyway, putting aside your insult where it belongs, the Dockers are going to want something for Hill. Pick 5 will probably not get it done for a player who's come off his best season in footy and has two years to go in his contact.

It seems logical, clearly not to you. that Acres being a Sandgroper will be a player that Fremantle might ask for in addition to pick 5. Quite frankly, I hope you are right and I am wrong and we get to keep Acres.

Bit I also live in the real world. Fremantle won't give up Hill without a fight.
Pick 5 AND Acres? Yikes!

Pick 5 is for a Dangerfield type player. Hill for a mid teen pick is where its at. He's now 26. Good year, quality player yes but he's not an All-Australian.

We may end up parting with pick 5 but we'll be the one getting extra back in return..

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Pick 5 is overs. Let’s be very, very clear about that.

Give me Pick 5 over Hill any day of the week. We are planning to build flags around the age group of King, Clark, Gresham & Marshall. So let’s service that group with the elite long-term talent it needs. Heck, in two years, we can take Brad Hill for pick 30 if we really want to.

The line on this deal is about Pick 8-12; anything in that range is a fair and equitable value for a guy turning 27 whilst St K is not in the premiership window.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 11:06am Pick 5 is overs. Let’s be very, very clear about that.

Give me Pick 5 over Hill any day of the week. We are planning to build flags around the age group of King, Clark, Gresham & Marshall. So let’s service that group with the elite long-term talent it needs. Heck, in two years, we can take Brad Hill for pick 30 if we really want to.

The line on this deal is about Pick 8-12; anything in that range is a fair and equitable value for a guy turning 27 whilst St K is not in the premiership window.

We had pick 1 a few years ago.. how’s that adding to the plan / age group?

Hill is just about everything we’ve needed for years now. That’s the only thing that is clear to me.

realdeal
Club Player

Spinner wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 11:45am
evertonfc wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 11:06am Pick 5 is overs. Let’s be very, very clear about that.

We had pick 1 a few years ago.. how’s that adding to the plan / age group?

Hill is just about everything we’ve needed for years now. That’s the only thing that is clear to me.

Its irrelevant.yes we need a player like him but you trade responsibly. Its what the pick is worth that is important in regards to trading. By your logic we could trade pick 5 for bloody Brandon Ellis because he'd also play more games than our former number 1 pick..

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Hill is just about everything we’ve needed for years now.
I’m happy to get him. And I’d give up 5 if he was 23. But his value is about to fall off a cliff, no matter how well he plays.

There’s also no urgency to pay overs. We’re not getting Fyfe or Dangerfield. And Freo won’t want to be stuck with an unhappy player.

We can get it done without having to make a silly offer whilst retaining a respectable position in the draft.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:01am
desertsaint wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 5:07am Pick five AND Acres? Heck pick 5 is overs.
You’re absolutely dreaming. Seriously

Acres and a very late first-rounder won't get us anything.

It will need our first prick.
you're probably doubt right. ha, even i'm overrating acres now.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
B.M
Saintsational Legend

How did Acres go in the B&f??

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 2:24pm How did Acres go in the B&f??
Irrelevant apparently. It was Richos fault. Didn't play him often enough, played him out of position and Ratts is gonna make him faster, fumble less and kick straighter and I don't mean straight at the player running at him.

damienc
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 10:50am
damienc wrote: Fri 13 Sep 2019 8:49pm

Pick 5 AND Acres? Yikes!

Pick 5 is for a Dangerfield type player. Hill for a mid teen pick is where its at. He's now 26. Good year, quality player yes but he's not an All-Australian.

We may end up parting with pick 5 but we'll be the one getting extra back in return..
You raise an interesting discussion point.

Let's assume you are right, and that a mid teen pick is where it's at, as you say.

Where are we going to get one?

We will either have to trade out pick 5 for two top ten picks assuming ( and it's a big assumption) other clubs who have those picks might want to go for that deal.

Or, we have to trade a player to get that mid teen pick. I doubt whether Jack Steven, despite his stellar record, will get us a teen pick. More like a second rounder.

Trading Josh Bruce might get us a teen pick but so many people on this forum are totally opposed to that idea.

You may well think Hill is not worth pick 5 but given his season and his two year contract, Fremantle will be perfectly within their rights to demand it and we will have to hand it over if we want Brad Hill.

Hill would have been knocking on the door of being All Australian, In fact given the year he had I'm surprised he wasn't AA.

He is a really good player in career best form.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Hold your nerve Saints - Hill would be a great addition but he's coming to us for two reasons, the $$$ (StK) & the girlfriend (Victoria), let Freo & his manager work a fair trade...do not pay overs!