Players with pacemakers

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Players with pacemakers

As we know Robbo now has a pacemaker. (Edit, it is a defibillator).

There has been speculation that despite being extremely fit, that just having a pacemaker meant that he could not play again for Saints.

I was just doing some random reading (not on pacemakers) and was surprised to read that there is already a St Kilda FC player playing with a pacemaker. And indeed has already played for years with a pacemaker.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_McCarthy

Kate McCarthy

McCarthy was taken with the number 82 pick by Brisbane in the 2016 AFL Women's draft.[2] She made her debut in the Lions' inaugural game against Melbourne at Casey Fields in the opening round of the 2017 AFL Women's season.[10] McCarthy is noted for her speed and ability to kick the ball accurately while sprinting.[11][12][13]

At the end of the season, McCarthy was listed in the 2017 All-Australian team.[14]

Brisbane signed McCarthy for the 2018 season during the trade period in May 2017.[15]

In April 2019, McCarthy joined expansion club St Kilda, along with fellow Brisbane player Nat Exon.

Early and personal life
McCarthy played for Yeronga South Brisbane in the QWAFL before signing for the Lions. She has represented Australia for touch rugby league to at least as high as the under-20s age group.[6] As of 2017, she works as a mathematics and physical education teacher at Clairvaux MacKillop College.[7] She has required an implanted pacemaker since the age of ten.

Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 14 Sep 2019 1:20pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Players with pacemakers

A more detailed article on the pacemaker and Kate.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/article/li ... -mccarthy/

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm not 100% sure that Dylan has a pacemaker . I thought it was a defibrillator.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:01am I'm not 100% sure that Dylan has a pacemaker . I thought it was a defibrillator.
That’s my impression also.

Imagine if it went bang during a game??

Sorry, can’t see how it’s 100% safe for him to play again. I wonder if we will get an detailed explanation

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:20am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:01am I'm not 100% sure that Dylan has a pacemaker . I thought it was a defibrillator.
That’s my impression also.

Sorry, can’t see how it’s 100% safe for him to play again. I wonder if we will get an detailed explanation
He has already played with it in. This we know. This risk was ok once, but I feel that there are a whole heap of legal ramifications that won't let it happen again. Then again, it may never go off again. I wouldn't want to be in Dylan's shoes. I wouldn't play. He seems a very balanced and measured sort of character. I think he will make the best decision for his future.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think the issue here is that the heart might be ok under cardio stress and match simulation, but match stress itself is different. All sorts of different emotions and therefore neuropeptides and hormones, running through you in a match which is different from a tread mill test. What you can't test for is what Dylan's heart will do in a live match in a cauldron of 50,000 people when the game is on the line.
I don't think it is worth the risk.

Nee!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:40am I think the issue here is that the heart might be ok under cardio stress and match simulation, but match stress itself is different. All sorts of different emotions and therefore neuropeptides and hormones, running through you in a match which is different from a tread mill test. What you can't test for is what Dylan's heart will do in a live match in a cauldron of 50,000 people when the game is on the line.
I don't think it is worth the risk.
Well technically, he has already failed 2 tests in live matches. The last 2 he has played. Regardless of the very last being a practice match, it was a played in fairly high spirits.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:20am

It already has. It went off in a practice game.

Robbo was fine. The device did what it is meant to do and there were no ill-effects.

The questions are whether anything more serious than what has happened post-device will happen (ie is it just discomfort vs life-threatening), and how often the device may actually kick in.

Obviously I do not know the answer to either.

It is what the club medicos will be pondering on though.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 9:55am
Well technically, he has already failed 2 tests in live matches. The last 2 he has played.
One could argue though that the second time was not a failure.

He had an episode. The device went off and did what it is meant to, and he has reportedly had no ill-effects.

If the device working is not deleterious to Robbos health, the question may well be how often might he experience a similar occurrence?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

if you had a whole team of players with pacemakers you would hope the Capt was Gerry.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes you are correct. However my point is more about a player with a heart problem playing reliant on a electronic device to allow them to play.

Doctors also treat arrhythmias with another device called an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD). An ICD is similar to a pacemaker. However, besides using low-energy electrical pulses, an ICD also can use high-energy pulses to treat life-threatening arrhythmias.

Read more at https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/defibrillators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 1:18pm

Yes you are correct. However my point is more about a player playing reliant on a electronic device to allow them to play.

Doctors also treat arrhythmias with another device called an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD). An ICD is similar to a pacemaker. However, besides using low-energy electrical pulses, an ICD also can use high-energy pulses to treat life-threatening arrhythmias.

Read more at https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/defibrillators
Here lies the big problem. Those words 'life threatening'. Very concerning.

older saint
SS Life Member

Sure people a lot smarter and more qualified than me will make the decision on this, and like McCartin the long term health will be No1 priority.

Like Stephenson if Robbo were to come back and play you must believe the doctors have made this decision that it is safe.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 5:09pm Sure people a lot smarter and more qualified than me will make the decision on this, and like McCartin the long term health will be No1 priority.

Like Stephenson if Robbo were to come back and play you must believe the doctors have made this decision that it is safe.

And Kruezer. There have been quite a number of players who have had heart problems.

George27
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sat 14 Sep 2019 1:17pm if you had a whole team of players with pacemakers you would hope the Capt was Gerry.
Thanks Firey. I Like It !

minneapolis
Club Player

Gerry played with three pacemakers. Must be a record!

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

My Victorian next door neighbor is a reasonably well known cardiologist / interventionist, the comment he made to me was all heart electrical issues are unique to the individual and though broadly labeled as XXX issue each person reacts differently.

He thinks Robertson could play as it is unusual that these type of issues once identified and managed are rarely fatal or lead to serious health issues.

The problem is the unknown and whether Dylan and his family can manage the what if and have the appetite for any risk however small.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Special
Club Player

Sorry to be cruel on all this but our club needs some “fresh air” with regards to complex long term injuries so we can better focus on the business of winning a flag.

Robbo & Paddy have put a cloud on it all as did Nafe Freeman earlier.