Jones for Bruce?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kalsaint
Club Player

Re: Jones for Bruce?

To the top wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:54pm I would not consider releasing Acres under any circumstances

McKenzie, Webster or our other defensive flankers now surpassed by Clark and Coffield is an entirely different story

Acres can impact where we need impact

Hill and Ryder address 2 deficiencies - outside pace, daring and skill and that we only now have the one ruckman (and possibly a KPP forward deficiency)
I like Acres too. He hasn't realised his potential, however, his contract closes next year and I've heard rumblings that he ultimately wants to return home to play with his brother (that's disputed by some here but I keep getting this reinforced by my "informer" who regular chats with the family in Perth). If this claim is true, now would be better than later in terms of trades. We need some # 2/3 draft picks as we have used up our allotment in future years.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 9:53pm
To the top wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:54pm I would not consider releasing Acres under any circumstances

McKenzie, Webster or our other defensive flankers now surpassed by Clark and Coffield is an entirely different story

Acres can impact where we need impact

Hill and Ryder address 2 deficiencies - outside pace, daring and skill and that we only now have the one ruckman (and possibly a KPP forward deficiency)
I like Acres too. He hasn't realised his potential, however, his contract closes next year and I've heard rumblings that he ultimately wants to return home to play with his brother (that's disputed by some here but I keep getting this reinforced by my "informer" who regular chats with the family in Perth). If this claim is true, now would be better than later in terms of trades. We need some # 2/3 draft picks as we have used up our allotment in future years.
He wants to play in the WAFL?

groupie1
Club Player

damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 6:15pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:46pm
damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:38pm
B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:44pm Like for like as in they are both running defenders. So positional.

Jones is a B grade player
McKenzie is a D Grade player
Sorry but that is a ludicrous thing to say about Jones.
Do you rate him higher than B grade DC and / or see him as more than a running defender? Or less in both cases?
I think you just stuck upon why a club like St Kilda might be interested in a player like Zac Jones.

He is versatile. He can defend and he can go into the midfield. Those sorts of players are really valuable. Make that invaluable.

Plus he is aggressive, hard at the contest and breaks the lines. Not to mention he is super quick.

You don't have to be Albert Einstein to understand why a club like ours would rate him and want him. And not just our club.

The current reigning premiers are reportedly ready to pounce if our bid falls over.

A club like Richmond isn't interested in recruiting a B grade player and neither is St Kilda.

Sometimes I struggle to understand the logic of some of the posters on this forum. Not for a minute saying that this applies to you.

But others have been scathing in their criticism of the Jones bid. I find it baffling.
I'm not a massive fan, but I agree with you that lots of opining here AND NOT A SINGLE REFERENCE TO STATS:

Rating Points:
Position Rank:
24 in the league as a small/medium defender (meaning he'd walk into most sides)
For context Lachie Weller is 25th, Shane Savage is 17th at 353 ranking points
Overall Rank in league:
165th best player

Club Rank:
11th best

Career Average:

CAREER AVERAGE

KICKS
HANDBALLS
DISPOSALS
MARKS
HIT-OUTS
TACKLES
GOALS
BEHINDS

Not great, but they include his debut year of 2014, and he's been climbing since.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:45pm Acres is very average. Doesn’t get the ball that much and when he does, who knows what he’s gonna do with it?!
Trent Cotchin won a Brownlow medal with dinky sideways kicks and 30+ possessions each week back in 2012. He is a far more effective player now that he plays a different way. He's lucky to avergae high teens or low 20's but he impacts more than ever

Would rather a player who has 20 touches and is creative, rather than a player getting it 40 times who gets 10 handballs or kicks smothered and has another ten kicks that are turnovers, plus 10 backward kicks or handballs

I'm sure we'll all get some time to watch a few matches from 2019. Watch the game against the Bulldogs.

It was Ratts first gig as interim coach. Acres disposals were all damaging to the opposition and many ended in scoring opportunities. Blake didn't have to ruck that day if my memory serves me correct and he wasn't stuck playing at half forward either.

It is rare that Blake get's an opportunity to play as a pure mid, but I think Ratts gave him a different role and also had him in the middle at centre bounces

Dunstan and Steele were strong in the clinches and Blake was creative and provided run and carry. There was one player who looked lost all day ( Seb Ross) and then there was another ( Blake Acres) who looked right at home playing in the guts. Maybe that's why Blake looks lost at times, because he's more suited to the traffic.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It rare Blake got an opportunity as a mid, because he not really up to it, especially defensively.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote: Sat 05 Oct 2019 5:09am
damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 6:15pm
Ghost Like wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 5:46pm
damienc wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 3:38pm
B.M wrote: Fri 04 Oct 2019 2:44pm Like for like as in they are both running defenders. So positional.

Jones is a B grade player
McKenzie is a D Grade player
Sorry but that is a ludicrous thing to say about Jones.
Do you rate him higher than B grade DC and / or see him as more than a running defender? Or less in both cases?
I think you just stuck upon why a club like St Kilda might be interested in a player like Zac Jones.

He is versatile. He can defend and he can go into the midfield. Those sorts of players are really valuable. Make that invaluable.

Plus he is aggressive, hard at the contest and breaks the lines. Not to mention he is super quick.

You don't have to be Albert Einstein to understand why a club like ours would rate him and want him. And not just our club.

The current reigning premiers are reportedly ready to pounce if our bid falls over.

A club like Richmond isn't interested in recruiting a B grade player and neither is St Kilda.

Sometimes I struggle to understand the logic of some of the posters on this forum. Not for a minute saying that this applies to you.

But others have been scathing in their criticism of the Jones bid. I find it baffling.
Rating Points:
Position Rank:
24 in the league as a small/medium defender (meaning he'd walk into most sides)
For context Lachie Weller is 25th, Shane Savage is 17th at 353 ranking points
Overall Rank in league:
165th best player
Just shows how under rated Shane Savage is on here. Always surprised how quickly people jump off him if he has a quiet game.

Nee!