Trade Period Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Period Thread

Channel Seven saying Hill deal is almost done. Hill’s manager flew to Melbourne today. No indication of what the deal is.

Also saying Cats will get Steven for very little.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Secret Kiel
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 7:14pm Channel Seven saying Hill deal is almost done. Hill’s manager flew to Melbourne today. No indication of what the deal is.

Isn't everyone happy for Cats to get Steven cheaply if we get all of the 5 trades? I am.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

The Cats can go to hell. They're taking advantage of the situation. In my view, they're using Steven's mental health issues to screw us over with a total lack of respect for both our club and our player. By offering us pick 57 they're sending the message that Steven is almost worthless. They know that they'll get 3 years of very good football out of him. When both are fit and well, is Brad Hill's value so ridiculously higher than Steven's? I think not. Unfortunately, we're in a difficult spot. If Steven has been traded to Geelong last year, we'd have gotten Geelong's first round pick. I know people will say things have changed a lot since then, but we all saw Steven did against Fremantle late in the season despite his impressive beer gut. We will all cringe and get very angry next year when we see Jack Steven absolutely rip it up for Geelong.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I would tell Geelong to shove it.
I’d rather pay Stuv to surf next year.

One year will be our year
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 6:57pm
st.byron wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 6:48pm Just watched Mitch Cleary and Riley Beveridge on the Trade Desk wrap. Cleary suggesting that Dougal Howard might stay at Port because Orazio Fantasia chose to stay at the Injectors. They don't need to clear space off their books to accommodate Fantasia's salary, so their incentive to trade Howard is reduced.
Port Adelaide are imploding, and that was before today's convenient leak regarding Wines, Howard wants out.
Bit of a long bow to say Port are imploding. Why so? They came out today and very strongly said Wines is going nowhere and will be at Port next year.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 8:29pm
kosifantutti wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 7:14pm Channel Seven saying Hill deal is almost done. Hill’s manager flew to Melbourne today. No indication of what the deal is.

Isn't everyone happy for Cats to get Steven cheaply if we get all of the 5 trades? I am.
If we accept that Jack is going, I'd rather get more for him.

According to Geelong:
Paddy Dangerfield wants to come home "We should do what's best for Paddy"
Gary Ablett wants to come home "We should do what's best for Gary"
Jack Steven wants to come home "We should do what's best for Jack"

Tim Kelly want to go home "We'll take all your money and your first born"

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Anyone else wondering why we didn't take a chance on Patton for a 4th round draft pick? Seems too cheap. He sure could teach some lads a few tricks. Healthy he is pretty dominant.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Jack steven is a pain in the ass.

Rubyjo
Club Player

Jack steven is a pain in the ass. It's true

BarryGrogan
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 10:13pm Anyone else wondering why we didn't take a chance on Patton for a 4th round draft pick? Seems too cheap. He sure could teach some lads a few tricks. Healthy he is pretty dominant.
I don't think he's ever been dominant.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 11:07pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 10:13pm Anyone else wondering why we didn't take a chance on Patton for a 4th round draft pick? Seems too cheap. He sure could teach some lads a few tricks. Healthy he is pretty dominant.
I don't think he's ever been dominant.
Well, he has been. If he didn't have the injury history he would have killed it. 2 seasons he was on his way to 60+ goals before injury. This can happen to anyone.

Most people on here think Bruce is worth a pick in the 20's, both Patton and Bruce debuted same year, 1 kilo, 1 cm difference. The injuries dictate the value. But Hawks can and will have him firing. He's been cleared to play mid season 2019 but wasn't mentally ready.

Bruce has played many more games due to Pattons 3 knees...But yet their career stats are almost identical with Patton pipping Bruce in most categories by a hair except overall goals scored. But yet Patton is being traded for a 4th round pick. So if we are losing Bruce why not get a ready made replacement for near nothing? Nothing to lose really.

goods
Club Player

Jack Steven broke up with his wife. She left him so of course he had a s*** year mentally. hell probably be fine next year don't give him away!!!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don’t think Jack’s problems are that simple.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
kalsaint
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 8:41pm The Cats can go to hell. They're taking advantage of the situation. In my view, they're using Steven's mental health issues to screw us over with a total lack of respect for both our club and our player. By offering us pick 57 they're sending the message that Steven is almost worthless. They know that they'll get 3 years of very good football out of him. When both are fit and well, is Brad Hill's value so ridiculously higher than Steven's? I think not. Unfortunately, we're in a difficult spot. If Steven has been traded to Geelong last year, we'd have gotten Geelong's first round pick. I know people will say things have changed a lot since then, but we all saw Steven did against Fremantle late in the season despite his impressive beer gut. We will all cringe and get very angry next year when we see Jack Steven absolutely rip it up for Geelong.
This may be true but in the real world of business risk has significant value. The there is no control of the risk possible they sometimes it would be bes to cut your losses and not take on the risk. Geelong are doing just that. They are not prepared to take the bonus of Jacks best game when the risk is too high and a distraction to their next seasons way forward. If Jack doesn't clear up his issues Geelong will be in the news a lot and that wont go down well. So they don't see the value of Jack playing well being greater than the risk as the biggest factor. I tend to agree on their approach. After all, they have plenty of picks for increased game value without Jack. We don't have the picks so the risk is probably less for us.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Secret Kiel
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 10:11pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Mon 14 Oct 2019 8:29pm

If we accept that Jack is going, I'd rather get more for him.

According to Geelong:
Paddy Dangerfield wants to come home "We should do what's best for Paddy"
Gary Ablett wants to come home "We should do what's best for Gary"
Jack Steven wants to come home "We should do what's best for Jack"

Tim Kelly want to go home "We'll take all your money and your first born"
Yeah I get that, however once we as the downtrodden accept Jack Steven is not Paddy Dangerfield or Tim Kelly, (even at the peak of his powers, and still then not even close), we'll probably accept anything for a player that wants to leave, I've accepted it and I'm waiting for him to leave so I can wish him well and kindly shut the door behind him.

Funny thing about contracts and player value in elite sport, once a player says I want out, both can become worthless real quick and possibly long before you get a chance to think about what to do with a player on a team who's spiritual commitment has already left the building.

Welcome Mr Hill, let me show you to your locker, how does number 3 sound?

shrodes
SS Life Member

Current rumour is Port are getting involved in getting Hill across the line.

Have heard Saints 12 + 18 for PA Ryder + Howard + 10 which would be an incredible trade, but I'm guessing there some future pick / late swaps involved there as it's too good to be true.
We would then trade 10 + future 1st for Hill.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne showing massive arrogance.
They think they have the 2020 premiership in the bag and then some.

Melbourne receive pick 8 worth 1551 points.
By giving up pick 26 worth 729 points and pick 50 worth 273 and their 2020 first rounder.
That values Melbourne 2020 first rounder at 549 points that's pick 34 in 2020.

If Melbourne win the premiership they get pick 18 worth 985 points (or less after compensations).
They are implying that even if they win the premiership next year pick 18 in 2020 is only worth pick 34 this year.

After this year's performance Melbourne 2020 first rounder is worth more than this years pick 8.
Why give up this years pick 26 and pick 50 as well.

Damn if only Melbourne had come to St Kilda earlier we could given up pick 6, then offered Fremantle a better option in Melbourne's 2020 first round and thrown in this year's pick 26 and 50 for Hill.
We would still have all our 2020 picks intact and Bruce and Steven deals to collect our targets.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The Age saying that Howard, Ryder and Hill deals about to become official. Welcome lads.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/liv ... 530m5.html

shrodes
SS Life Member

Saints get: Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, pick 10, Future Fourth Round Pick

Power get: Pick 12, Pick 18 and a Future Third Round Pick

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Done deal.

Port Adelaide have traded Patrick Ryder, Dougal Howard, pick 10 and a future fourth-rounder to the Saints. In return, they get picks 12, 18 and a future third-rounder.

Only thing I don’t like is we once again will enter next year’s trade period with no second or third rounder.
Last edited by st.byron on Tue 15 Oct 2019 2:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

shrodes wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 2:54pm Saints get: Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, pick 10, Future Fourth Round Pick

The future 4th has been chatted about as being involved in the Hill deal (10 + 2020 2nd rd + 2020 4th rd).

Would be massive to keep 2020 1st rounder ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
Secret Kiel
Club Player

The Port Boys are officially in the RW&B in 2020

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Finally

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 2:57pm The Port Boys are officially in the RW&B in 2020
Port fans are going bunta about this one. They sold a young fan favorite and reckon they copped unders in the process.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Gershwin
Club Player

shrodes wrote: Tue 15 Oct 2019 2:54pm Saints get: Paddy Ryder, Dougal Howard, pick 10, Future Fourth Round Pick

Very nice. Effectively we get pick 10 and Ryder and Howard for pick 6. 3rd round for 4th round next year is no big deal.

summertime and the living is easy ........