best 22 round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: best 22 round 1

Joffa Burns wrote: Wed 23 Oct 2019 11:59am Long Carslile Geary
Clarke Battle Savage
Hill Hannebery Jones
Gresham Howard Billings
Membrey King Butler

Marshall Steele Ross

Roberton Wilkie Lonie Coffield

That team would burn up the grass at Marvel.

Howard plays forward taking the Bruce role of supporting Marshall in the ruck.

Battle can go forward backed up by Wilke or Roberton who can play tall.

Anyone thinking Geary, Savage, Ross etc aren’t in our best 22 are kidding themselves IMO.
Not bad.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

seems chf is the position no one can settle on. i've seen membrey, roma, battle, king, and even howard put there.
membrey at least an experienced player, but not suited to the role.
the rest are complete novices. it's a bit of an archilles heal and will be interesting who we go with. on the plus not many teams have a decent chf wc, and gws. the cats, swans, tigers and crows have classic chfs but all are on the wane and they have tried different players there at times. bulldogs now have a decent competitive chf as well.
some say there wouldn't be room for bruce if our players come on, but if roma is rucking (which he definitely should be) he aint going to be rested at chf. if membrey plays we are short an experienced reliable mark and goal kicker in the front. king is yet to play a game, so far to demanding a position. battle could be a good prospect but we lose out on a player looking like developing into a very good backman. ryder, forget it. not a position for an old backup ruck. howard? a good left field suggestion, but a more likely scenario is we've brought in a backman to replace battle in the backline.
i think members then battle the most likely. i'd hope we develop a younger player there after some game time, and not just have a temporary solution whilat relying on trading in b king in a couple of years.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Coffield Howard Roberton
Clark Carslile Wilke
Hill Hannebery Jones
Long Battle Billings
Gresham King Membrey
Marshall Ross Steele
Interchange: Lonie, Parker, Bytel, Ryder

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Not sure why King would be in the team for round 1, he's going to need a few games at Sandy first and earn his way to the AFL grade, he probably has to prove he's physically up to it as well.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:18pm Not sure why King would be in the team for round 1, he's going to need a few games at Sandy first and earn his way to the AFL grade, he probably has to prove he's physically up to it as well.
He will have the pre season games for that.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 12:18pm Not sure why King would be in the team for round 1, he's going to need a few games at Sandy first and earn his way to the AFL grade, he probably has to prove he's physically up to it as well.
Maybe. Doesn't have to be round 1 but I think we’re all hoping he’s in the team at some stage early in 2020.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally all I want from Kingy is 27 weeks without any injury...
Would be happy if he had a solid season in the VFL if he got through unscathed

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 2:49pm Personally all I want from Kingy is 27 weeks without any injury...

He's not playing 27 VFL games not a chance. If he is fit he plays round 1.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 2:51pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 2:49pm Personally all I want from Kingy is 27 weeks without any injury...

Like I said... will just be happy if he has an entire season injury free

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

If he has a good pre-season and JLT (or whatever they will be called this year) I think he walks straight into the team.

Reasons
- He was one week away from his debut last season when he got injured
- McCartin & Bruce who were first choice forwards early last season have left holes to fill
- He is obviously the heir apparent given his athletic ability & talent

If he's fit and firing early, the question I'd ask is who keeps him out of the team?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 4:03pm
If he has a good pre-season and JLT (or whatever they will be called this year) I think he walks straight into the team.

Reasons
- McCartin & Bruce who were first choice forwards early last season have left holes to fill

If he's fit and firing early, the question I'd ask is who keeps him out of the team?
It will be either Ryder, Carlisle, Battle and Howard keeping him out especially if all four of those guys are fit and playing well or putting pressure on the selectors each week starting with round 1. He's got some tough competition right there, we'll see early if Ryder still has the will to get back to his best one last time and if he does King will hopefully earning his spot by playing better and any of those four options mentioned.

Gershwin
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 5:40pm

Reasons

It will be either Ryder, Carlisle, Battle and Howard keeping him out especially if all four of those guys are fit and playing well or putting pressure on the selectors each week starting with round 1. He's got some tough competition right there, we'll see early if Ryder still has the will to get back to his best one last time and if he does King will hopefully earning his spot by playing better and any of those four options mentioned.
King is elite. With a good pre-season behind him he will be one of the first picked. Build the forward line around him. Another tall (Marshall), a medium tall (Membrey) and a couple of crumbers (between Lonie, Kent, Butler etc.)

summertime and the living is easy ........
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Pity we didn't pick Aiden Bonar. Then we could have had a centre line that read Long Steele Bonar

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Gershwin wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 5:47pm

Reasons

King is elite. With a good pre-season behind him he will be one of the first picked. Build the forward line around him. Another tall (Marshall), a medium tall (Membrey) and a couple of crumbers (between Lonie, Kent, Butler etc.)
He hasn't earned his first game yet. Dustin Martin and Dangerfield are elite, seems weird calling King elite when he hasn't even played his first game yet.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Reasons

I agree he'll be a walk up start when hes firing.
A little prematuire evaluation on the elite but he has size, speed and talent.

The only part you lost me on was Kent.
With potential small forwards including Gresham, Billings, Lonie, Butler, Long and medium pressure forward Parker I'm hoping Kent will be back up at very best.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 7:03pm

Reasons

With potential small forwards including Gresham, Billings, Lonie, Butler, Long and medium pressure forward Parker I'm hoping Kent will be back up at very best.
Yeah I think Kent is going to have a real fight on his hand to further his AFL career in 2020, I'll be hoping he can but gee he's got some strong competition for spots that suit his skill set.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 8:47pm

Reasons

Yeah I think Kent is going to have a real fight on his hand to further his AFL career in 2020, I'll be hoping he can but gee he's got some strong competition for spots that suit his skill set.
Kent will come close to AA selection in 2020.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 25 Oct 2019 12:15am
Secret Kiel wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 8:47pm

Reasons

Kent will come close to AA selection in 2020.
Pleas just stick to trolling, comedy is not one of your best talents.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
goods
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 24 Oct 2019 2:51pm

hundred percent

OldGeorgeYoung
Club Player

Based on Round 1 predictions, we could see 8 to 11 changes from the following team selected for Round 23, 2019.

Over the last 40 odd years, does anyone remember a year with more round 1 changes?

FF 13 Jack Lonie 28 Tim Membrey 21 Ben Long
HF 16 Jack Newnes 27 Josh Bruce 10 Dan Hannebery
C 15 Jack Billings 6 Sebastian Ross 40 Nick Hind
HB 44 Callum Wilkie 47 Sam Rowe 11 Hunter Clark
FB 5 Shane Savage 2 Jake Carlisle 22 Nathan Brown
Mids: 19 Rowan Marshall, 7 Luke Dunstan, 35 Jack Sinclair
Inter: 3 Jack Steven, 8 Blake Acres, 9 Jack Steele, 26 Josh Battle

IN: 1. Geary, 2. Gresham, 3. Hill, 4. Ryder, 5. King, 6. Jones, 7. Howard, 8. Kent/ Parker, 9. Webster/Coffield
OUT: 1. Savage, 2. Steven, 3. Acres, 4. Rowe, 5. Bruce, 6. Sinclair, 7. Brown, 8. Hind, 9. Newnes

Need to show form at Sandy to work their way in: Patton, Bytel, Butler, Langlands

If we don't have hope. All is lost.
Vazelos
Club Player

Max King will Play Round 1 don’t worry about that unless he is injured...
Look out for Jack Bytel massive wraps on this boy...

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Sun 03 Nov 2019 5:14pm Max King will Play Round 1 don’t worry about that unless he is injured...
A bulging disk may never heal!!!!

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Sun 10 Nov 2019 5:48pm
Vazelos wrote: Sun 03 Nov 2019 5:14pm Max King will Play Round 1 don’t worry about that unless he is injured...
A bulging disk may never heal!!!!
Unless it's been operated on like his and been successful.

footynut
Club Player

Coffield - Howard - Wilkie
Roberton - Carlisle - Hind
Billings - Hannebery - Hill
Butler - Membery - Gresham
Battle - King - Lonie
Marshall - Steele - Clark
Jones - Ryder - Webster - Ross

I feel this team has run, is flexible, has a strong defense (with a couple of spots up for grabs), and has options up forward (despite them being young)

I would also love to squeeze Paton & Bytel into this team. Webster, Lonie, Butler & potential Ross will need to loft their game.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Based on rattens comments last year and this year you are getting picked on form and form only. I expect some changes big time. Fringe players to get dropped for longer now and Richo favourites to not be gifted games anymore.
Can't wait