Expectations for the new decade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Expectations for the new decade

2020 Stkilda FC
We head into the new decade optimistic thankfully putting behind a very poor 8 years.
New President and an impressive list of new names in our football department setting up a football program finally considered very strong in industry circles.
I like the fact Ratten our coach is not an “ L Plater” like most of our coaches in our history they normally start and finish at St Kilda yet this man has cut his teeth for years as senior and assistant and brings his experience at the top of his game.
The list is still short of an A grade midfielder in my opinion and I am certain the list managers will be moving heaven and earth to find him for 2021.
Reports internally is Jack Bytel is a gem.
We may have found a beauty there.
Midfield of Steele Ross and Dunstan doesn’t cut it for top 4 so I welcome players that will challenge them and Bytel is one of them.
Speed, run and carry will improve with Hill and Jones and Hunter Clark and Billings will add more class and quality as they keep improving.
Max King is the big name everyone is counting on surely after the loss of Mc Cartin this boy will be a lock for a champion. Don’t we deserve some luck?! All reports are this boy is a beauty.
Dougal Howard comes with a huge tick for a massive ceiling of potential I know people at Port think he will be one that got away for them.
Plenty to be excited about now is the time the team has to gel, create its culture, it’s rules of engagement, it’s leaders and its game plan.
Trying to put a team together has become so much more difficult the depth has improved dramatically.
50,000 members, debt reduction, a stronger presence at Moorabbin and finals football are all things we should be achieving.
It’s time to go for it!!

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Expectations for the new decade

Vazelos wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 9:22am 2020 Stkilda FC
We head into the new decade optimistic thankfully putting behind a very poor 8 years.
New President and an impressive list of new names in our football department setting up a football program finally considered very strong in industry circles.
I like the fact Ratten our coach is not an “ L Plater” like most of our coaches in our history they normally start and finish at St Kilda yet this man has cut his teeth for years as senior and assistant and brings his experience at the top of his game.
The list is still short of an A grade midfielder in my opinion and I am certain the list managers will be moving heaven and earth to find him for 2021.
Midfield of Steele Ross and Dunstan doesn’t cut it for top 4 so I welcome players that will challenge them and Bytel is one of them.
Speed, run and carry will improve with Hill and Jones and Hunter Clark and Billings will add more class and quality as they keep improving.
Max King is the big name everyone is counting on surely after the loss of Mc Cartin this boy will be a lock for a champion. Don’t we deserve some luck?! All reports are this boy is a beauty.
Dougal Howard comes with a huge tick for a massive ceiling of potential I know people at Port think he will be one that got away for them.
Plenty to be excited about now is the time the team has to gel, create its culture, it’s rules of engagement, it’s leaders and its game plan.
Trying to put a team together has become so much more difficult the depth has improved dramatically.
50,000 members, debt reduction, a stronger presence at Moorabbin and finals football are all things we should be achieving.
It’s time to go for it!!

Actually when was the last time the club employed a coach that wasn't an "L Plater" ?, could we be breaking new ground here. I think the other first is a new coach coming into the club when it wasn't a basket case in every department, although Lyon walked into a very good list but a poor club. For the first time it feels like all departments are getting their act together. I couldn't agree more about still being short one A grade midfielder however I'm really hoping that one of the players already on the list can take that next step now they have much more onfield support than they've ever had. So there will be no excuses for players like Dunstan and Sinclair to grab this opportunity. I think Sinclair is the one that has the best opportunity to go to the next level and I'm really going to make him a player to watch in 2020. So if we get next level buy in from a midfielder already on the list in 2020 and recruit another A grade midfielder I'd say we are well on the way to having top four midfield.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Blight.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
st sandy
Club Player

I love your optimistic approach
I am also "glass half full" about our future - as a 50 odd year supporter you have to be optimistic to support the saints otherwise put me in a padded cell.
Not wanting to start a whole new thread on the personalities of our administration however it has been a long time (probably never) when i have rising comfort/assurance that we have some good people in our corner who are striving for success. That includes president, CEO, footy manger, list manager, coach and coaches & others. Lets hope that they can all have long tenures, remain united & build momentum. Unfortunately our history is littered with poor administration & it is so important.
"March on the saint boys & girls"

Secret Kiel
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 11:50amBlight.
with tongue firmly planted in cheek can I say you've got me on a technicality with that call?

Saint 58
Club Player

Vazelos wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 9:22am 2020 Stkilda FC
It’s time to go for it!!
+1 ... agree with everything ! looking forward to next season.

A minor point ... the next decade does not start until 2021.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t 20-29 be the next decade

The ‘20s

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Unless

King, Bytel, Coffield, Gresham, Billings and Howard become A Graders

We will go nowhere

asiu
Saintsational Legend

what are the bookies paying
on us making the eight ?

i’d like to see us give it a real good nudge

(just miss out / making up the #’s even)

though , legitimate expectation
of winning finals in 21
would sate me for the year ahead

it’d be a solid step in the appropriate direction
and consolidate our effort/s to get back to the launch zone

go us

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 11:50amBlight.
Others include...
Jewell and Jezza.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Expectations are always a little bit tinged with hope.

1) We finally get a flag...Let's get that out of the way...which subsumes just about every on field paramet er one can imagine.

2) we are a decent team throughout the decade, and we learn to exploit are strengths
3) We become a real community, of mutual support , and I mean the St Kilda fan community, not the general community as a whole, we are not responsible for demonstrating political correctness to the entire nation and yet we try to do the right thing.
4) by the end of the decade we play one boutique sponsored, St Kilda Arts Council supported premiership game for points per season at the Junction Oval each season
5) we somehow manage to liquidate our debts..
6) our women's team dominates...why not, or has that horse already bolted?
7) we make a St Kilda pie and trademark the ingredients, make a squillion dollars selling at around the world
8) We create an international group for Saints supporters over seas.
9) we explain what the coach does and why he or she needs directors of footy and the entire Noah's arc of assistants.
10) we learn to express our desires more purposefully with AFL ...altho I don't know if we can do much better given we are still a weak club politically/financially

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Saint 58
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 2:21pm Wouldn’t 20-29 be the next decade

The ‘20s
No cos if you go right back there is no Year 0
1BC was followed by 1AD
Starts at 1, ends at 10, etc.

So the next decade is 2021 - 2030
But when someone says “the 20s” it sort of refers to 2020 - 2029 :? ... sort of

Secret Kiel
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 2:23pm Unless

We will go nowhere
Your post caused me to think about how many A graders does a team need to win a flag. I notice the names you select represent each line of the ground, was that deliberate? I think the go nowhere comment is a little OTT.

guitars4
Club Player

I will be really surprised if we make marked improvement next year even though I support the decisions the club have made . IMO we need to be realistic about were we are at , be optimistic but don't go over the top . Any improvement will be a bonus so let's stay grounded :wink:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Go nowhere, as far as being a contender is concerned

We won 9 this year.

Our current list... without those player elevating.. is a 8-10 win list.. with players like Ross, Steele, Geary, Carlisle, Membrey etc... keeping us somewhat competitive

We have 2 A Graders atm imo

We need to add at least 6

And yes, all over the ground

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 2:23pm Unless

We will go nowhere
Please add Ross, Steele and Clark to that list. They have the potential.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 7:18pm

The ‘20s
1BC was followed by 1AD

Ahh, you've just made it a bit worse for us all.

The Asians are right...even the Buddhists, Hindus and Muslims.

They start at age 1 the day they are born, whereas we have that 1st year up our sleeves, dribbling, gooing and crawling until we smear our 1st birthday cake over our faces and everything else in reach.

Add 1 to your age boys and girls.

Why didn't those early ignorant Christians celebrate the early milestones? Hey , wow, Jesus just smiled and its 6 weeks and a day in year zero etc...

Still feels right saying the 20's from 2020 tho'.

Remember the new millennium at 2000?

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

One flag would do.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saint 58
Club Player

sendmehomehappy wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 10:57pm

The ‘20s
1BC was followed by 1AD

They start at age 1 the day they are born, whereas we have that 1st year up our sleeves, dribbling, gooing and crawling until we smear our 1st birthday cake over our faces and everything else in reach.

Why didn't those early ignorant Christians celebrate the early milestones? Hey , wow, Jesus just smiled and its 6 weeks and a day in year zero etc...

Yep I agree it feels right, sounds right but it’s wrong
I used to work in IT & worked on the Millennium Bug problems
They were very real issues (for database info), but not the BS about planes falling out of the sky, etc.
Anyway, there was no year zero ...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

yes there is no year zero, but day one comes 364 days before one year.
on your birth you are one second old, then one minute, then one day, then one month, then one year old, twelve months later. so we celebrate our birthdays correctly.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 11:30pm
sendmehomehappy wrote: Mon 04 Nov 2019 10:57pm

The ‘20s
1BC was followed by 1AD

Yep I agree it feels right, sounds right but it’s wrong
I used to work in IT & worked on the Millennium Bug problems
They were very real issues (for database info), but not the BS about planes falling out of the sky, etc.
Anyway, there was no year zero ...
You are right...year zero has never been acknowledged, But it is illogical. We are simply not one year old when we are born.

Jesus was pretty special and many incredible things have been attributed to him by many believers, but I have not yet heard anyone claiming that he was born a one-year-old.

If it's true...pity poor Mother Mary.

I just reckon they couldn't count too well back then, didn't have computers, could not be bothered to say 'AD year zero + 3 months' and so on. So they started with one.

Over the years the lazy bastards just kept it going. For another 2018 years!!

So now we are left with this crazy and pointless philosophical argument over when decades start and end.

PS: I tried not to requote all this stuff, except for the last bit, but it didn't work. I am far from being an IT guy.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
minneapolis
Club Player

Love this place.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

does revolutions of the sun has something to do with it? the moment you are born you are on the 1st revolution of the sun, at your first birthday you are on the 2nd revolution and so on.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

2020 is not actually the new decade. We went from 1BC to 1AD skipping the year 0. This meant that the first decade was year 1 to 10 hence 2011 to 2020. That means the new decade will be 2021.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Saint 58
Club Player

If anyone starts talking about the Earth being flat, I will fair dinkum spew up !!