Hannebery article HS 17/11

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

Hannebery article HS 17/11

Today's HS, subscriber only article.

St Kilda convinced Dan Hannebery will vindicate its faith after promising finish to season
St Kilda is convinced it made the right call to recruit midfielder Dan Hannebery, adamant the former Swan can return to his best after an injury-interrupted start to life at Moorabbin.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only

St Kilda says Dan Hannebery’s final month of football vindicated its contentious decision to secure him, adamant the club will play the long game with the talented midfielder.

Hannebery is recovering from a broken foot suffered when he stumbled on a set of stairs, the latest in a long list of injuries at St Kilda.

He will gradually increase his fitness base as St Kilda’s senior players return to the club on Monday for a time trial that will kick off their pre-season.

But St Kilda assistant coach Brendon Lade says any fan who watched his five games between Rounds 14-23 would have seen his massive potential.

Hannebery, who signed a five-year contract after crossing from Sydney, averaged 25 disposals and five clearances and kicked the ball beautifully, with the 28-year-old desperate to show he is not a spent force.

“It took a while to get his body right but we were really pleased with his last four of five games in the AFL,” Lade said.

“It probably solidified the decision to get him. He added another dimension. He wins the contested ball, his run and ball use was good as anyone, and his ability to get the ball out of congestion with his hands was a hallmark of his time at Sydney.

“He adds a lot to our midfield and our group and just gives us another weapon to use.

“He will be back in full training around the start of December. He had a little setback but we understand these things happen. Hopefully we can get a really good January and February out of him.”

Lade said Hannebery would again be a contender for the leadership group after stepping down this year to concentrate on his football.

“He just adds some energy and leadership around the group. That will be done in due course. The players sit down and nominate players and Ratts (coach Brett Ratten) has his say too about who is in the leadership group and how many.

“Jack Billings was upgraded this year and showed really good form and Zak Jones is a leader and so is Paddy Ryder so that’s exciting for our group to have players like that.”

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
guitars4
Club Player

Re: Hannebery article HS 17/11

Lets just wait & see how he gets over this latest set back before we get too carried away. Of course the club want to put a positive spin on the new season & if he can recapture the form of yesteryear then maybe he will be a good pick up but he's no spring chicken & he has been very injury prone over the last few years. IMO the jury is still out

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

guitars4 wrote: Sun 17 Nov 2019 9:45pm Lets just wait & see how he gets over this latest set back before we get too carried away. Of course the club want to put a positive spin on the new season & if he can recapture the form of yesteryear then maybe he will be a good pick up but he's no spring chicken & he has been very injury prone over the last few years. IMO the jury is still out
Hammill- 2 weeks.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me or does an article, lacking substance and conviction...i.e. spin by the club, make people nervous?

Why try to justify a recruiting decision made a year a go, followed by a 5 game season, followed by an out of season injury that may or may not have long term repercussions if you weren't worried about the value of the player?

Let Hannerbery train at the start of December, without restriction, then talk him up if you think his recruitment is looking that shoddy.

Shaggy
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 17 Nov 2019 10:15pm Is it just me or does an article, lacking substance and conviction...i.e. spin by the club, make people nervous?

Why try to justify a recruiting decision made a year a go, followed by a 5 game season, followed by an out of season injury that may or may not have long term repercussions if you weren't worried about the value of the player?

Let Hannerbery train at the start of December, without restriction, then talk him up if you think his recruitment is looking that shoddy.
It is not the club. It is Ralph. He has recognised how well Dan played when he was on field last year. Its a follow on from his article of who is our next star.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

It's always amusing how some fans go from a puff piece to paranoia, but yeah Hannebery needs to give something in 2020 for sure.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I would say the bigger issue is calling a puff piece news

Yet another nothing article from the scum.

Used to be that you at least needed an opinion on this type of stuff to even publish it now it’s general nothing takes on well known news.

Hannebery wants to play more
The club thinks he will play more
He’s on a big deal that will look silly if he doesn’t play more

Riveting stuff

And geeez has Hannebery’s last 5 games of the year taken on a legendary mythology on this forum... right up there with Luke Ball’s first half of the 09 GF...
Legendary performances apparently. Not match winning ones but oh the ethos

B.M
Saintsational Legend

My pick for the B&F

Billings, Hill,Steele, Ross, Gresham, Marshall, Clark, Carlisle, Jones

My Top 10

Barring injuries.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I think that's your top 9, BM - unless someone went down already!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I wasn’t very clear there,

Hannebery is my tip as winner... then the next 9