Buckenara's rating of Byrnes FWIW

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

theoracle
Club Player

Buckenara's rating of Byrnes FWIW

Gary Buckenara did a rating of all clubs' drafts in today's HS. For what it's worth, he thinks we got Byrnes for a bargain:

Buckenara says: Only took two later picks in the national draft after a big trade period and drafted for needs to bring in more speed. Jack Steven was traded to Geelong but St Kilda has brought in a potential Steven clone in Ryan Byrnes because he possesses similar traits in that likes to arch his back and use his burst of speed to get out of a pack. I had him rated at 37, so it’s a bit of a win to get him at pick 52.

Buckenara’s verdict: Overall a good off-season for the Saints when you factor in their trade acquisitions.

The Oracle sees all, hears all, knows all.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Re: Buckenara's rating of Byrnes FWIW

Why the hell does the Sun bring back Buckenarra every year? He was a dud of a coach and he would have no idea how to build a list.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

That's a bit harsh Helen Keller.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I think Bucky was Hawthorns recruiting manager when they built a premiership list

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Football industry wide Sheehan and Buckenara are seen as the best talent identifiers.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote: Sun 01 Dec 2019 12:56pm Football industry wide Sheehan and Buckenara are seen as the best talent identifiers.
Correct, and Buckenara was also a champion footballer

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Ahhhh, the old myth about GB building Hawthorn's list...

As one of the senior staff at Hawthorn puts it privately: "Thorp, Elstone, Dowler, Ellis, Bailey - we won flags in spite of 'Bucky's picks, although how do you let go of a favourite son?"

So this absolutely does my head in every year. Eventually, Hawthorn did have to shuffle him out the door - and gave him the job of "west coast" recruiter. The best player he can take credit for in all that time, IMHO, is Ben Stratton - a 20yo who was absolutely dominating in the WAFL.

Heck, even Frankston's VFL side had to axe him last year link.

I don't want to have a go at Bucky. He actually seems like a decent bloke and he was an incredibly good player. But I've never understood why people just assume people are experts in any field - it drives me up the wall. Herald Sun use him because he's always available - he doesn't have an AFL job.

Before anyone says he was the genius that drafted Franklin, Roughhead and Lewis...actually, no, Clarkson had issued directions to John Hook (very smart guy) and Buckenara about what he wanted with picks 2-5-7.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/04/20/ ... s-dynasty/
“When he (Clarkson) got appointed he said ‘Look, I really want us to get two key position players and a midfielder’”, Buckenara said.

“That was a pretty good start for Clarko, as those three players sort of became pillars for the side to be built around. If Tambling and Lewis were still there (at pick seven), we maybe would’ve gone Tambling due to his pace.
I've noticed it for years now that he struggled with proper list analysis. Infamously declared in 2015 that Geary "might be at the end" - Christ, he's our captain going into 2020.
Gary Buckenara, November 2015 wrote: Eli Templeton and Nathan Wright have been injured but showed good signs, Luke Dunstan — all these guys need to step up because they are very, very important players in what the Saints are trying to achieve.
Gary Buckenara, November 2017 wrote: I don’t see St Kilda going backwards next year just because Riewoldt and Montagna have retired.

This team should be playing finals next year, it just needs to find that consistency of performance to elevate it from an OK team to a good team.

In two to three years I expect St Kilda to be challenging for top four and the premiership.
I'll stop at two, but it goes on and on and on and on and on (and on and on).

Needless to say, I hope he's spot on about Byrnes. But ease up before putting too much stock in his opinion - there are some posters on here who can read talent better.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.