Should Geary follow example of Walker, Hurn and Davis and hand over Captaincy?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Should Geary follow example of Walker, Hurn and Davis and hand over Captaincy?

CURLY wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 4:51pm
How would I know or anyone else not at the club and around the players know. You can't judge leadership from a distance.
cmon curly - you must have some opinion - youre usually pretty damn certain about making umpiring decisions from a distance
this should be a walk in the park for you

Seeya
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Geary follow example of Walker, Hurn and Davis and hand over Captaincy?

You’d be surprised to know how much Jarryn is rated in AFL circles, particularly by those who play against him and especially his opponents. Eddie Betts rates him as one of his toughest opponents!

Skill is not just about kicking the ball... that’s one skill amongst many others, that mustn’t be well understood.

There are at least 10 defensive skills, many of which Geary is elite
Marking, Geary is outstanding for his size
Ground balls, again Geary is accomplished
Games sense skills, Understands role
Physical skills, aerobic machine
Mental skills, inc courage, elite
Leadership skills, in spades

There is much more to being a good footballer, than being a nice kick, otherwise Brandon White and Brodie Murdoch would be guns, they are not!

So his ‘skill level’ overall is pretty good, which makes sense, he’s finished top 5 in the TBA award heaps of times!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 5:13pm
How would I know or anyone else not at the club and around the players know. You can't judge leadership from a distance.
cmon curly - you must have some opinion - youre usually pretty damn certain about making umpiring decisions from a distance
this should be a walk in the park for you
Well done you just demonstrated how little idea you have.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 5:48pm You’d be surprised to know how much Jarryn is rated in AFL circles, particularly by those who play against him and especially his opponents. Eddie Betts rates him as one of his toughest opponents!

Skill is not just about kicking the ball... that’s one skill amongst many others, that mustn’t be well understood.

There is much more to being a good footballer, than being a nice kick, otherwise Brandon White and Brodie Murdoch would be guns, they are not!

So his ‘skill level’ overall is pretty good, which makes sense, he’s finished top 5 in the TBA award heaps of times!
You can add all the adjectives you like. The fact is Geary is an average footballer who should NEVER HAVE BEEN MADE CAPTAIN.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CURLY wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 5:59pm Well done you just demonstrated how little idea you have.
so just pot shots then

Seeya
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

sunsaint wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 4:11pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 8:30am I'm interested as to how people know what sort of leaders these players are. No idea how anyone would know that we have huge leadership void either.
instead of taking a potshot
can you attest to knowledge as to other worthy alternatives
I would think the dearth of replacements in senior ranks is pretty clear
players like Hannebery and Carlisle spring to mind

You may not know who precisely is the leader from a distance but you can 100% tell when a company, organisation, corporation, business, sporting club etc etc have a strong leader....it's measured in effectiveness in meeting goals. FACT.

On field effectiveness in meeting goals will be noticed by o one percenters, gut running, no excuses, team play, energetic and focussed strategy execution. No team, no leader is perfect in these areas but they will be consistent when lead well.

The Barometer
Club Player

Not hard to see a scenario in the next 12 months that Geary is not in our best 22. He is to much of a liability with the ball in his hands and everyone knows it.
Obviously still a club leader but we need the next wave to put there stamp on the club. Maybe it’s Seb for 20 with a longer term plan to develop our next long term leader now for 21.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Should hand over the captaincy and the spot he’s taking up in the 22 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

It’s not whether he should have been made captain

The fact is he was named captain for three seasons, for a reason... he was voted in by the players ffs!

Maybe, just maybe they know a little more about it??

The other fact is that he has been one of the best performed players consistently (Roo, Joey, Jack S and Dempster aside) since 2012.
Plenty of worse players than him, in fact most players.

Why do you honestly believe he was named captain in the first place? Because he was hopeless?!

Get a grip FFS

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Some on here have NFI

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
To the top
SS Life Member

And over the years of Geary being not only the star performer we are advised he is but also being Captain of the Club where has St Kilda finished at season’s end?

The reason is that we have been a poor side, starting from the top because post Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster and Fisher we just have not had experience with the class to foster the development of those we have acquired with higher Draft Picks

They have been left to forge their careers on their pat Malone

Hence identifying players with senior experience in other Leagues a year ago and now the trading we have recently seen

Attempting to correct a demographic hole with our List - the lack of experience with class so A Grade players we are continually told we lack

It starts at the top

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We were hopeless in the 80’s when Moorwood and Burns were winning B&Fs

Have we really been THAT bad recently?

2019 we won 9 games, given injuries, not terrible
2018 was terrible
2017 & 2016 we won as many as we lost and finished just outside of the 8.
13-15 we were obviously rebuilding and improved incrementally.

The last two season smashed by injuries to key players

As I said
Jarryn Geary is not the reason we were hopeless in those years, he actually did his job!

When looking for scapegoats, maybe look at players not performing rather than Seb and Jarryn who actually perform...consistently... and Membrey.

Players like Acres, Dunstan, Long, and Sinclair who put up ordinary numbers consistently are the underwhelming ones.

To the top
SS Life Member

So fault is with players with as few 100 games experience - and less, so working into their careers

Not with 30 year olds nearing 200 games

Post Riewoldt, Montagna, Dempster and Fisher we have not enjoyed the services of experienced players of A Grade ranking

Hopefully a fit Carlisle, a fit Roberton, a fit Hannebery and the recruitment of Hill will address this problem - as will the development of the likes of Billings, Dunstan and to Coffield and Clark along with those we have not yet seen on the park

There is the challenge to our younger brigade to take the mantle

And I will be as interested in Acres as I am in Hickey - 2 players I would have retained

Hickey has confirmed the error

With Acres we await the assessment - and my view is that we will be bitten

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 6:38pm
CURLY wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 5:59pm Well done you just demonstrated how little idea you have.
so just pot shots then
Yes that’s what you’d describe what’s being directed at Geary.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Acres

Interesting

Such a talent he was used as steak knives in a deal for Hill.

Keep Hickey, Marshall probably doesn’t ruck and we don’t get the pick for him which we required.
So yeah... nah..

outside66
Club Player

I actually reckon Geary stepping down from the captaincy would be a great move. It would remove a lot of ongoing conjecture re his selection/place in the team (FWIW, I reckon hes definitely in our best 22) whilst also allowing someone else to take on the responsibility.

I would go left field somewhat and nominate Dylan Roberton as my preferred captain but given his journey so far, it's probably not the best thing to throw at him.

I personally don't see Ross as our best option after Geary, so I would rather see Membrey get the nod. He leads by example, is charismatic, and isn't a boof-head off the field.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019 11:09am I actually reckon Geary stepping down from the captaincy would be a great move. It would remove a lot of ongoing conjecture re his selection/place in the team (FWIW, I reckon hes definitely in our best 22) whilst also allowing someone else to take on the responsibility.

I would go left field somewhat and nominate Dylan Roberton as my preferred captain but given his journey so far, it's probably not the best thing to throw at him.

I personally don't see Ross as our best option after Geary, so I would rather see Membrey get the nod. He leads by example, is charismatic, and isn't a boof-head off the field.
I actually think Seb Ross is a future Brownlow medalist.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn’t winning two of the last three best and fairest awards be leading by example?

outside66
Club Player

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019 11:41am
outside66 wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019 11:09am I actually reckon Geary stepping down from the captaincy would be a great move. It would remove a lot of ongoing conjecture re his selection/place in the team (FWIW, I reckon hes definitely in our best 22) whilst also allowing someone else to take on the responsibility.

I actually think Seb Ross is a future Brownlow medalist.
That's nice.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Touch and go for Gears if it goes to a vote.

Interesting times.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If Gears plays every game, and I can't see why he wouldn't bar injury...then he is best choice for capt.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 6:20pm
B.M wrote: Mon 09 Dec 2019 5:48pm You’d be surprised to know how much Jarryn is rated in AFL circles, particularly by those who play against him and especially his opponents. Eddie Betts rates him as one of his toughest opponents!

You can add all the adjectives you like. The fact is Geary is an average footballer who should NEVER HAVE BEEN MADE CAPTAIN.
Not many average footballers play 150 games.

By the way, how many times have you been banned already from this site?

Your “look at me” sig suggests at least 5 times

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019 5:07pm

You worry about how many times you have been banned buddy. Now crawl back into your hole before I swat you.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Jack Newnes reckons Geary is a legend.

Shaggy
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 10 Dec 2019 7:37pm

Jack Newnes reckons Geary is a legend.
So he should. If Newnes had a B&F record of 5th -2018, 3rd-2017, 2nd-2016 and 5th-2015 he would not have been delisted.