2020: Let's Own It

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

2020: Let's Own It

Unpluggered Podcast: Footy's back at Moorabbin!

Just days out from the first official match of the St Kilda FC Women in their inaugural AFLW season, the boys discuss the list build of the St Kilda FCW team and the makeup of Conference B in 2020, the Saints finals chances in year one, and of course, the big Round 1 clash with the Western Bulldogs girls, coached by none other than former St Kilda legend, Nathan Burke.

LISTEN: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=570827
OR:
SPOTIFY: spoti.fi/33tLtSI
APPLE: apple.co/2CnLJqD
GOOGLE: bit.ly/unpluggeredgoogle

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2020: Let's Own It

Just out of interest - if anyone wants my 2020 - they can 'own it' - I am sick of it already!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

year of the Golden Rat
... wealth ‘n surplus

for all those born in 1960 , turning 60
this is the year good begets good

unless of course
ones been a grub with their skillset
‘n done the Nazi thing (again !)

heres looking at you MNS
... may you enjoy your Justice expressed , you dog.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Woof woof

asiu
Saintsational Legend

:)

well , he is.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ownership is 9/10ths of the law

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Fri 07 Feb 2020 5:22pm Unpluggered Podcast: Footy's back at Moorabbin!

Just days out from the first official match of the St Kilda FC Women in their inaugural AFLW season, the boys discuss the list build of the St Kilda FCW team and the makeup of Conference B in 2020, the Saints finals chances in year one, and of course, the big Round 1 clash with the Western Bulldogs girls, coached by none other than former St Kilda legend, Nathan Burke.

OR:
CRINGE!!! - Peta Searle must have got Brett Kirk to write her speech - Richo may have assisted!

While I'm at it, what's the story with the Unpluggered podcast? To my knowledge it's not an official podcast put out by the club, yet it's so goddamn bland and lacklustre, without even the remotest semblance of originality, that you'd swear it was.

Good on them I suppose for going to the effort of doing a podcast, but if your podcast ambitions are to simply churn out a beige imitation of what's already served up ad nauseam on commercial radio, why bother?

It's such a shame the Saints Disco podcast fizzled out, those guys were actually pretty good, they had their own shtick and a bit of flair and didn't mind if they said stuff that went against the official club mantra.

These Unpluggered blokes tow the official line to the point that renders the whole thing dreary and pointless.

If you're reading this Unpluggered fellas, ffs take the time to pull together a pre-production meeting and throw around a few ORIGINAL ideas - asking a player his "favourite movie" or "most annoying teammate" or "favourite meal", is done to death and is just plain sad.

Seriously guys, if your goal was to create a show that sounds like something that SEN might throw together at midnight on a Tuesday morning, then you've nailed it, if it was to create content for Saints fans, that might contribute something fresh and unique in a very saturated market, then I hate to say it, but MASSIVE FAIL!

Look again it's the Flash!!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

thats a read !!

best i listen to this podcast then

last years efforts
on our blokes footy were brill (imo)

asiu
Saintsational Legend

all on the same page pre season momentum builder
+ introducing the (media inexperienced ?) felines
to the interested
+ a bit of chit chat

that win’t stop me listening

fwtw

HarveysDisciple

Hi Linton.

Always appreciate the feedback.

During pre season generally the air is a bit more positive.

If you go back to a few of our episodes late last year coming off losses and when it came to list changes we gave a few whacks where necessary and made some harsh calls on certain individuals.

Also for this episode given it was a case of introducing players most of our fans have never heard of it we took a slightly more broad/low key/introductory approach.

Kind of meet the players type thing.

Happy to keep hearing feedback as the season progresses but hopefully that provides some context.

Hope you keep listening.

Cheers and go Saints.

Dash

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Sun 09 Feb 2020 9:28am
n1ck wrote: Fri 07 Feb 2020 5:22pm Unpluggered Podcast: Footy's back at Moorabbin!

OR:
CRINGE!!! - Peta Searle must have got Brett Kirk to write her speech - Richo may have assisted!

While I'm at it, what's the story with the Unpluggered podcast? To my knowledge it's not an official podcast put out by the club, yet it's so goddamn bland and lacklustre, without even the remotest semblance of originality, that you'd swear it was.

Good on them I suppose for going to the effort of doing a podcast, but if your podcast ambitions are to simply churn out a beige imitation of what's already served up ad nauseam on commercial radio, why bother?

It's such a shame the Saints Disco podcast fizzled out, those guys were actually pretty good, they had their own shtick and a bit of flair and didn't mind if they said stuff that went against the official club mantra.

These Unpluggered blokes tow the official line to the point that renders the whole thing dreary and pointless.

If you're reading this Unpluggered fellas, ffs take the time to pull together a pre-production meeting and throw around a few ORIGINAL ideas - asking a player his "favourite movie" or "most annoying teammate" or "favourite meal", is done to death and is just plain sad.

Seriously guys, if your goal was to create a show that sounds like something that SEN might throw together at midnight on a Tuesday morning, then you've nailed it, if it was to create content for Saints fans, that might contribute something fresh and unique in a very saturated market, then I hate to say it, but MASSIVE FAIL!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yep can you believe that Searle was an assistant/development coach of the mens team. She makes Caroline Wilson look happy!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 3:58pm Yep can you believe that Searle was an assistant/development coach of the mens team. She makes Caroline Wilson look happy!
Searle is a female version of Cho.

It’s such a pity we didn’t get Burkey as our coach. So wrong.

Re the podcast, it would be hard to totally let it rip - or do you have a lot more freedom on a podcast vs a live radio show?

Even I guess If the freedom is there, Dash has a mainstream radio career to protect so your reputation carries across all mediums. (And aren’t we all lucky to have him on SEN?)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

HarveysDisciple wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 2:00pm Hi Linton.

Always appreciate the feedback.

During pre season generally the air is a bit more positive.

If you go back to a few of our episodes late last year coming off losses and when it came to list changes we gave a few whacks where necessary and made some harsh calls on certain individuals.

Also for this episode given it was a case of introducing players most of our fans have never heard of it we took a slightly more broad/low key/introductory approach.

Kind of meet the players type thing.

Happy to keep hearing feedback as the season progresses but hopefully that provides some context.

Hope you keep listening.

Cheers and go Saints.

Dash

OR:

It ain’t so much about being negative as it is about being original.

Do you really want to sound like some kind of bland SEN-lite?

No? ...well unfortunately you do.

Like I said in my post, good on you for getting off your arses and doing a podcast, but for god sake stop trying to make dull radio - the world doesn’t need it, if we want that the options are endless.

The podcast medium is one of the most exciting media developments in recent times as it allows any old bozo who can get their hands on some recording equipment, to have a voice.

And that is exactly what your show lacks... VOICE.

Dig deep and find something fresh and original and abandon your mimicry of shitty radio - there’s more than enough of that, the footy public don’t need it!

...nor do St Kilda supporters need something that sounds like an official voice, when it ain’t actually official.

You’ve got the medium, and because you’re discussing a subject people like myself are craving for, people will listen, so FFS aim for originality.

Come up with something fresh, or at least put your own twist on something familiar but for the sake of Saints fans, stop trying to sound like a cheesy SEN, it ain’t working.
Last edited by The Linton Street Flash on Tue 11 Feb 2020 5:56am, edited 1 time in total.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 5:39am
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 10 Feb 2020 3:58pm Yep can you believe that Searle was an assistant/development coach of the mens team. She makes Caroline Wilson look happy!
Searle is a female version of Cho.

It’s such a pity we didn’t get Burkey as our coach. So wrong.

Re the podcast, it would be hard to totally let it rip - or do you have a lot more freedom on a podcast vs a live radio show?

Even I guess If the freedom is there, Dash has a mainstream radio career to protect so your reputation carries across all mediums. (And aren’t we all lucky to have him on SEN?)
Oh really? Dash is a mainstream media guy?

Seriously I didn’t know that.

It makes sense as that’s exactly what it sounds like.

If that’s the case, then all the more reason to try to do something a bit different.

You’re not having to please your bosses here cobber, you don’t have to go out and act like a jerk, just use the medium in ways that you might not be able to on the radio.

Close your eyes, think of ideas, you never know what you might come up with.

Or take a few moments to listen to a few old eps of Saints Disco, just a couple of bozos talking St Kilda - difference was, they had ideas, they had an original voice, they weren’t trying to get a job at Moorabbin - such a shame they couldn’t get their s*** together, but with their demise comes your opportunity, the fans are hungry for content so don’t blow it! :)

For what it’s worth, I completely agree about Peta Searle, she’s a Cho knockoff - with Brett Kirk writing her speeches.

Horrible to see Burkey in anyone’s colours but ours.

How did that happen? The mind boggles!!!!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

if your that unhappy with it, don't listen and and go and make your own podcast.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

OR:

You're a killjoy aren't you. In an age where more content about your club is generally more desirable than less - you want to tear it down? Unpluggered is basically 3 Saints loving mates sitting around and talking about the club with the odd interview. If you think it's bland - listen to the corporate rubbish the club puts out. That podcast is horrendous - you learn more reading this forum than on there.

Instead of asking "what's the story with the Unpluggered podcast?"- why don;t you just use that Google thing and find out yourself. Like here maybe ... https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/unpluggered You'll quickly find out what it is and that it's unofficial.

BTW - take a listen to some of the prior episides - in particular the interviews with Barry Breen on Cowboy's ill health and the one with our pro scout in the trade review episode. If you think they are bland and lacklustre - you must live a seriously exciting life. Outside of here of course

Go you red, black & white warriors
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

saintly wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 7:30am if your that unhappy with it, don't listen and and go and make your own podcast.
He'd probably have about the same amount of listeners. Seriously, it's really bland mate. I listen regardless but it's rough.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 10:47am

OR:

You're a killjoy aren't you. In an age where more content about your club is generally more desirable than less - you want to tear it down? Unpluggered is basically 3 Saints loving mates sitting around and talking about the club with the odd interview. If you think it's bland - listen to the corporate rubbish the club puts out. That podcast is horrendous - you learn more reading this forum than on there.

Instead of asking "what's the story with the Unpluggered podcast?"- why don;t you just use that Google thing and find out yourself. Like here maybe ... https://player.whooshkaa.com/shows/unpluggered You'll quickly find out what it is and that it's unofficial.

BTW - take a listen to some of the prior episides - in particular the interviews with Barry Breen on Cowboy's ill health and the one with our pro scout in the trade review episode. If you think they are bland and lacklustre - you must live a seriously exciting life. Outside of here of course
Hey Saint Matt, before we go any further can you please answer these questions?

What is your favourite movie?

Who is your favourite band?

Can you please tell us your most annoying teammate/family member/friend?

Cheers cobber,
Linty!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The Linton Street Flash wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 2:47pm

OR:

Cheers cobber,
Linty!
I just have no idea why you'd bitch and moan about something that's (a) free; and (b) non-compulsory listening ... whether it's good, bad or indifferent. Seriously - why?

Go you red, black & white warriors
The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 11 Feb 2020 3:43pm

OR:

Cheers cobber,
Linty!
I just have no idea why you'd bitch and moan about something that's (a) free; and (b) non-compulsory listening ... whether it's good, bad or indifferent. Seriously - why?
It’s called feedback fella, if you put something out into the public domain, it’s what comes back at ya.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

OR:

Cheers cobber,
Linty!
Lol, we've only ever asked those questions to the AFLW girls because we wanted to help introduce who they were as people a little bit, to more mainstream Saints fans who listen who are much more used to knowing alot more about the personalities of the male players because they are much more high profile. In previous episodes we've gone much deeper into current state and the guests we 're able to access.

Most fans wouldn't have heard of Kate Shierlaw or Liv Vesely before a couple of weeks ago so the goal was to get the girls to show abit of personality and individuality rather than same old "how do you think we'll go on the weekend?" "well, we just want to go get the 4 points..."

It was 60 seconds of the podcast, but please go on... :D

Secret Kiel
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 3:56pm

OR:

Cheers cobber,
Linty!
Lol, we've only ever asked those questions to the AFLW girls because we wanted to help introduce who they were as people a little bit, to more mainstream Saints fans who listen who are much more used to knowing alot more about the personalities of the male players because they are much more high profile. In previous episodes we've gone much deeper into current state and the guests we 're able to access.

Most fans wouldn't have heard of Kate Shierlaw or Liv Vesely before a couple of weeks ago so the goal was to get the girls to show abit of personality and individuality rather than same old "how do you think we'll go on the weekend?" "well, we just want to go get the 4 points..."

More on the soft cap and how DOS and his team are performing could be of interest. Especially the debate around providing more public access to the CD data. They did it in the NFL and apparently it helped clubs advance with thier exploitation of data and analytics.

Currently only the rich clubs can afford the 150k annual fees to access CD data analytics and then the cost to employ the personnel capable of knowing what to do with the data.

Anyway it's an area of the game that is only going to grow so there could be an audience for this type of information.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 5:05pm
n1ck wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 3:56pm

OR:

Cheers cobber,
Linty!

More on the soft cap and how DOS and his team are performing could be of interest. Especially the debate around providing more public access to the CD data. They did it in the NFL and apparently it helped clubs advance with thier exploitation of data and analytics.

Currently only the rich clubs can afford the 150k annual fees to access CD data analytics and then the cost to employ the personnel capable of knowing what to do with the data.

Anyway it's an area of the game that is only going to grow so there could be an audience for this type of information.
Definitely on the cards mate and that is a particular topic that I work with day to day. I've spoken with DOS abit and he's keen to come on the podcast at a suitable time too.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

There's criticism and then there's constructive criticism - huge difference. I've listened to the episodes and the boys do a really good job. The AFLW insights were excellent.

Podcasts are different things to different people. This is what works for them - it's three mates having a chat about the Saints but obviously with guests on, it's got a more professional vibe.

I've got nothing but praise for anyone who puts their time and effort in to supporting the club and shapes debate.

Equally, yes, the unfiltered nature of Screech and Tarv on Saints Disco is brilliant. It's raw, compulsive listening. I wish they did more of it, but it looks like the Disco is having a hangover all of its own right now. Hope it makes a speedy recovery, because nobody cuts through the crap likes those two.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 12 Feb 2020 7:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

n1ck wrote: Wed 12 Feb 2020 5:26pm

Definitely on the cards mate and that is a particular topic that I work with day to day. I've spoken with DOS abit and he's keen to come on the podcast at a suitable time too.
That's why I thought I'd mention it, you two guys could have a ripping yarn about the topic. Not sure how much detail DOS could discuss but it would be great to hear about the process of how he interacts with the coaches to prepare design briefs on coaching objectives that then allow him to return to the workshop and build the tools to measure those objectives, especially for things like game styles and player rankings. The relationship between analyst and coach and how they combine and understand each others world enough to reach successful outcomes could be really interesting.