What was your favourite St Kilda season?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Re: What was your favourite St Kilda season?

1991, First time i had seen StKilda make the finals after living through the 80s and end of the 70s where wooden spoons to StKilda were as common as paper bags full of money at Carlton

I still believe if we had of had a fair system 3v6 4v5 we could have won the whole thing as Hawthorn were on the slide and WC were like us new . Geelong was always a tough match up . We also beat Hawthorn and WC that season and GF was at Waverley where we had played ok with the space for Loewe and Lockett

If only

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Yeah shane I was upset after the GF but never had time to dwell in it cos of the new surroundings. The pain of not travelling sucked too. In contrast 09 and 10 took years to get over. My dad rang to tell me the classic 09 home and away game was on last night and he was raving about it lol. He follows the Tiges but he hadn’t seen that game for years and couldn’t believe how good it was

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 27 Mar 2020 11:50pm
skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote: Fri 27 Mar 2020 12:06pm
evertonfc wrote: Fri 27 Mar 2020 11:06am Look, probably 1997, despite the unbelievable heartbreak - that to be honest I wasn't over until 2-3 years ago.

The turnaround, from nowhere, and nothing, is unlikely to ever be repeated. Only 60 minutes from the ultimate season.

We were so exciting - fast running, free flowing, big scores, massive comebacks, thrashing teams, interstate triumphs, big plays, big marks, freakish goals.

I always wrote off the fact that we missed Everitt and Vidovic as somewhat overplayed, but in hindsight, it crippled us. They missed Modra - an equally big blow - but they miraculously found Shane Ellen. We *found* Robert Neill and Brett Cook.

The difference in sentiment between leaving the ground in 1997 and 2009 was totally different. I was beyond shattered the first time; the second time I just accepted that we played that hard, rugged brand of footy all year and did so right until the final siren.

===

...in terms of a forum, I don't think anything will match 2007.

From Lyon's poor first-up season, GT fans still fuming, Rod Buttress almost sinking the club, the shock of taking Brad Howard at Pick 26 in Nov '06, Rix Rox Rux, to Ben Cousins, Gehrig's retirement-comeback and ultimately missing the finals - before getting Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster at trade week - this place was a genuine dumpster fire.
Good post. we also missed Smith and another injured player whose name escapes me.

Neill, bless his heart ,along with Nugent and Kitchen, was one of the duds we got for plugger and which Shagger Sheahan reckons was the trade of the century. :roll: :roll: :roll:

In whose f****** universe, Mike you wanker. :roll:
Shane Wakelin I think
Or was it Sziller
I don’t think either of those were injured. Matthew Young possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s it... it was Matty Young

I knew it was a defender

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

2020 because the heartache was limited

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Sat 28 Mar 2020 3:17pm 2020 because the heartache was limited
lol
Yes, 2020 was one hell of a season. I remember it well. Way back in 2019, we were chirping at the bit after Ratts had been appointed. Then came a series of surprising recruiting coups (is that the plural?) ..and we were in the clouds..like true Saints...higher than high. We started the season off flying. Mid season, we were set. Who would have thought we would crash..but we did, finishing with a wimper.

Luckily in 2021 we turned it all around.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
George27
Club Player

1971. Played attacking footy. Had some dominant wins- I recall a beauty over Pies at Moorabbin. Dominated most teams - percentage over 140.

Easily won prelim over Tiges.

We just couldn’t beat the Hawks. Should have beat them in both finals.. but it was a hell of a season

I also really enjoyed

65 - first year at Moorabbin
72 - another series of dominant wins
73 - if only for that final v Essendon
78- roller coaster
87- 21 year old Plugger carries us all
91- I flew back from London for that final. Ablett .. prick
97- started 1-4 and went on a roll that nearly got us there
04- I remember laughing during the Carlton game - Fevola at fullback , totally inept on Gehrig
09-for 20 rounds we were as dominant as a team had ever been

None of those seasons ended in joy. However there was a lot of fun

Vazelos
Club Player

1991- could have won the flag
1997- Should have won the flag
2004-2005 Best list we ever had
2009- greatest season ever to not win a flag

The Recruit
Club Player

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

2001. Loved seeing rats toss bag getting the arse in that ugly canary sweat top.

Tell your story walking, champ.

:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Sat 28 Mar 2020 9:36am
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 27 Mar 2020 11:50pm
skeptic wrote:
saynta wrote: Fri 27 Mar 2020 12:06pm
evertonfc wrote: Fri 27 Mar 2020 11:06am Look, probably 1997, despite the unbelievable heartbreak - that to be honest I wasn't over until 2-3 years ago.

The turnaround, from nowhere, and nothing, is unlikely to ever be repeated. Only 60 minutes from the ultimate season.

We were so exciting - fast running, free flowing, big scores, massive comebacks, thrashing teams, interstate triumphs, big plays, big marks, freakish goals.

I always wrote off the fact that we missed Everitt and Vidovic as somewhat overplayed, but in hindsight, it crippled us. They missed Modra - an equally big blow - but they miraculously found Shane Ellen. We *found* Robert Neill and Brett Cook.

The difference in sentiment between leaving the ground in 1997 and 2009 was totally different. I was beyond shattered the first time; the second time I just accepted that we played that hard, rugged brand of footy all year and did so right until the final siren.

===

...in terms of a forum, I don't think anything will match 2007.

From Lyon's poor first-up season, GT fans still fuming, Rod Buttress almost sinking the club, the shock of taking Brad Howard at Pick 26 in Nov '06, Rix Rox Rux, to Ben Cousins, Gehrig's retirement-comeback and ultimately missing the finals - before getting Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster at trade week - this place was a genuine dumpster fire.
Good post. we also missed Smith and another injured player whose name escapes me.

Neill, bless his heart ,along with Nugent and Kitchen, was one of the duds we got for plugger and which Shagger Sheahan reckons was the trade of the century. :roll: :roll: :roll:

In whose f****** universe, Mike you wanker. :roll:
Shane Wakelin I think
Or was it Sziller
I don’t think either of those were injured. Matthew Young possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That’s it... it was Matty Young

I knew it was a defender

No, the other big one was Joel Smith.

Imagine Everitt, Vidovic and Smith in that team....would have been a different outcome.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell