Tom backs brother Paddy McCartin to return to footy in 2021

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tom backs brother Paddy McCartin to return to footy in 2021

Yes Harves Man, in my mind he has a few more hurdles than medicos telling him his concussion symptoms have disappeared. One is awareness. Another is technique in terms of protecting himself. There will also be a voice in his head doubting and wondering when / if the next concussion happens. Obviously susceptibility to concussion, something that doesn't disappear.

Sadly he's the footballing version of a "glass jaw".

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The thing that makes Paddy's market value go through the roof is his cheap asking price.

I know it's only been a few weeks since the start of the greatest depression, but fans are yet to adjust to the new reality and are still talking about football in the context of the old paradigm.

"What concussion", is what 18 list managers will be saying as they scramble to sign Paddy up for 50k per year.

We would be mad not to get his signature now as he as stated he want's to come back to the Saints.

Welcome back Paddy.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Big no for me.

Paddy was too slow. His hands weren't as good as his reputation when drafted suggested. His field kicking and kicking for goal were nothing special. His tank isn't good enough.
The big one for me though, is that guys who play his position are a good 7-10cm taller than him. He's simply too small and too slow for the key position and lead up role.

Would love to see him make it but Patty Cripps is a better proposition at FF than Paddy McCartin. And Cripps is a gun mid.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 16 Apr 2020 12:25pm Big no for me.

Paddy was too slow. His hands weren't as good as his reputation when drafted suggested. His field kicking and kicking for goal were nothing special. His tank isn't good enough.
The big one for me though, is that guys who play his position are a good 7-10cm taller than him. He's simply too small and too slow for the key position and lead up role.

Would love to see him make it but Patty Cripps is a better proposition at FF than Paddy McCartin. And Cripps is a gun mid.
Nailed it.

I really want to see Paddy back playing footy. For Sandy.

He could potentially be a very good VFL player once he gets a reality check of where’s he really at.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sanctorum
Club Player

Agree with all of the above except to point out that Paddy at 194 cm is taller than Plugger who was 191 cm and not exactly a 100m sprinter either. But that's an unfair comparison as it was a different era back in Plugger's day and the game today is played at a much faster pace.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
happy feet
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 18 Apr 2020 1:24pm

Agree with all of the above except to point out that Paddy at 194 cm is taller than Plugger who was 191 cm and not exactly a 100m sprinter either. But that's an unfair comparison as it was a different era back in Plugger's day and the game today is played at a much faster pace.
Don’t forget Plugger has some first class delivery of the ball. Winmar to Lockett..........

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 18 Apr 2020 2:34pm
Sanctorum wrote: Sat 18 Apr 2020 1:24pm

Don’t forget Plugger has some first class delivery of the ball. Winmar to Lockett..........
People forget that there was no one in the league faster over 20 metres than Plugger.

His explosive pace on a short lead was incredible for his sheer size and downright terrifying for anyone in his path

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.