Brett Ratten in the aftermatch presser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Brett Ratten in the aftermatch presser

Great after match performance by the cockroach. Ratts is a bloke who builds relationships and I reckon the one he is building with the AFL media will greatly benefit our football club. If you don’t have a good relationship with umpires, or with headquarters or with the journos they will be out to discredit you and your club at any and every opportunity they get...just like they have in the past

Thank god we have a coach leading us who doesn’t rely on cliches and he provides refreshing answers and respectful answers to the press and to the overall St Kilda fan base and the wider football community

One of the journos said it was amazing how accurate we were in front of goal compared to last year. He asked Ratts a question something like; “How have you had to adjust your ball movement?”

I thought Ratts answered brilliantly. Firstly, he wasn’t about to reveal elements of our game plan, but secondly, he didn’t give a boring or cliched response. Apparently we were 4th with our set shot accuracy last year but with our shots on the run or from snaps we were near last!!

He said something like; “It’s more to do with where you are shooting for goal and how you set up and build scoring opportunities”. He provided evidence that eliminates the myth that our players are the ones to blame for our inaccuracies. Have a listen to his answer and judge for yourself. When a coach consistently blames his players and thinks that getting a ‘goal kicking’ coach is the answer he is really avoiding looking at statistics which point to a solution that is within the coach’s control and really...is one of his key responsibilities

He was honest, unpretentious, humble in victory, and I thought he accurately described the win and the performance of individuals.
This is my opinion and it’s a big call, but I reckon he understands the game better than any coach we’ve had in the last 30 years

Sanctorum
Club Player

Re: Brett Ratten in the aftermatch presser

Have to agree Scollop that Brett Ratten is the best coach St Kilda have had since Stan Alves - if Malcolm Blight had fully committed to the job he would likewise be up there (and won the club a few premierships BTW), but that's another story...

Ratten has the coaching and life experiences that enables him to command respect from players and peers alike.

Early days, but if he can have the team play 4 quarters of attacking footy like they did on Sunday night then he may well take them all the way to the top.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 11:33am Have to agree Scollop that Brett Ratten is the best coach St Kilda have had since Stan Alves - if Malcolm Blight had fully committed to the job he would likewise be up there (and won the club a few premierships BTW), but that's another story...

Ratten has the coaching and life experiences that enables him to command respect from players and peers alike.

Early days, but if he can have the team play 4 quarters of attacking footy like they did on Sunday night then he may well take them all the way to the top.
Yikes that’s a big call. Look I like the guy so far but I think anyone would look like a messiah compared to his predecessor. Let’s see how the season shapes out before making these types of calls... though yes, things are looking ok so far

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

It was pleasing! 😁

Saint supporter since '62
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He's been around the block a few times. Great player so speaks with street cred and was a loyal club man to the Blues; remembers where that got him. Seems very shrewd. Love to know what he is saying to Josh Battle about non-selection. Soon come, perhaps.

damienc
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 7:20am Great after match performance by the cockroach. Ratts is a bloke who builds relationships and I reckon the one he is building with the AFL media will greatly benefit our football club. If you don’t have a good relationship with umpires, or with headquarters or with the journos they will be out to discredit you and your club at any and every opportunity they get...just like they have in the past

Thank god we have a coach leading us who doesn’t rely on cliches and he provides refreshing answers and respectful answers to the press and to the overall St Kilda fan base and the wider football community

One of the journos said it was amazing how accurate we were in front of goal compared to last year. He asked Ratts a question something like; “How have you had to adjust your ball movement?”

I thought Ratts answered brilliantly. Firstly, he wasn’t about to reveal elements of our game plan, but secondly, he didn’t give a boring or cliched response. Apparently we were 4th with our set shot accuracy last year but with our shots on the run or from snaps we were near last!!

He said something like; “It’s more to do with where you are shooting for goal and how you set up and build scoring opportunities”. He provided evidence that eliminates the myth that our players are the ones to blame for our inaccuracies. Have a listen to his answer and judge for yourself. When a coach consistently blames his players and thinks that getting a ‘goal kicking’ coach is the answer he is really avoiding looking at statistics which point to a solution that is within the coach’s control and really...is one of his key responsibilities

He was honest, unpretentious, humble in victory, and I thought he accurately described the win and the performance of individuals.
This is my opinion and it’s a big call, but I reckon he understands the game better than any coach we’ve had in the last 30 years
Well said.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

When was the last time we had 135% on the ladder?

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 2:12pm He's been around the block a few times. Great player so speaks with street cred and was a loyal club man to the Blues; remembers where that got him. Seems very shrewd. Love to know what he is saying to Josh Battle about non-selection. Soon come, perhaps.
Since Ratts started as a coach at our club, we’ve heard the highest praise from our best and most promising players. The proof has been in the results and we saw improvement as soon as he was appointed the head cockroach. I loved his speech in the preseason where he told all players that they will get an opportunity to ‘step up’ and I’m sure Josh will get selected if he is impressing at training

I was upset that one of my faves and one of our toughest players wasn’t selected but I reckon Ratts would have spoken privately to Josh or perhaps spoken to the whole playing group about the opportunity to play depending on opposition faced.

You learn a lot about people’s personality in these pressers in my opinion, and the main thing I wanted to express with this thread is that Ratts is a great communicator. Obviously his main role is to build great trust between himself and his charges and build relationships with each player so that he can get the best out of them.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I usually watch after match pressers with the sound turned down.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 19 Jun 2020 8:23pm I usually watch after match pressers with the sound turned down.
Lol.

PR for the plebs?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 12:06pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 16 Jun 2020 11:33am Have to agree Scollop that Brett Ratten is the best coach St Kilda have had since Stan Alves - if Malcolm Blight had fully committed to the job he would likewise be up there (and won the club a few premierships BTW), but that's another story...

Yikes that’s a big call. Look I like the guy so far but I think anyone would look like a messiah compared to his predecessor. Let’s see how the season shapes out before making these types of calls... though yes, things are looking ok so far

How dare you!
Okay, he's not the messiah but he is the messiah's neighbor's sister's best friend's ex- boyfriend from primary school.
AND according to prophecies over on barking mad's thread this distant relative of sorts to the most high will lead us from Egypt to the promised land AND grand final glory to Ratts the Creator of Life will be our motto.

Special
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote: Fri 19 Jun 2020 10:25pm 23 MONTHS AGO ...

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... n#p1744335
Thankfully you were wrong re keeping Richo as DOC. He’s not in the same universe as our current admin.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 19 Jun 2020 8:23pm I usually watch after match pressers with the sound turned down.
....Standard, typical sarcasm which is quite boring

The issue here with another personal jibe from you is that it highlights that you’ve got nothing of value to contribute

I've never read a post of yours where you have predicted anything correctly if it was remotely associated to an aussie rules footy match

Btw...as far as turning the sound down and watching the game is concerned, it surely has to better than putting up with crappy, boring commentators getting players names wrong and listening to fake crowd noise.
Last edited by Scollop on Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:04am, edited 1 time in total.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 7:38am
You could be right there under the desk ...( yeah... I had a vision just then which I wasn't intending but it made me chuckle :twisted: )...anyhow

.... it wouldn't make any difference if you were face/face with him, in the same room, or whatever

Your acumen for picking winners or predicting anything footy related is non existant

I've never read a post of yours where you have predicted anything correctly if it was remotely associated to an aussie rules footy match
My sound is turned down and for some reason the subtitle are in Chinese, come again in English?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not responding to you again. You are a f***wit that I don’t need and don’t enjoy responding to

<1 day ban for posting negatively about a poster>

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of Chinese...here’s a thought for all you non thinkers who believe anything that someone else tells you

Who profits the most from Australian governments and Australian private enterprise investing in software upgrades?

Aren’t most of the IT and security corporations located in the USA

Could it be that we are be pointing the finger in the wrong direction?

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:11am Speaking of Chinese...here’s a thought for all you non thinkers who believe anything that someone else tells you

Who profits the most from Australian governments and Australian private enterprise investing in software upgrades?

Aren’t most of the IT and security corporations located in the USA

Could it be that we are be pointing the finger in the wrong direction?
Was that info in the presser as well? Wow. I must change my ways and watch one of those things.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 9:11am

You don't have to upgrade - you need to update.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Anyone need some toilet paper, just ask Scollop.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 20 Jun 2020 10:56am Anyone need some toilet paper, just ask Scollop.
Did you watch last week’s game SK? What did you think?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.