Side v Carlton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Re: Side v Carlton

Darth Vader wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:05pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 7:18pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:21pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:11pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:37am I don’t think you can keep the captain out. Geary deserves his spot in the team and I think we need his experience.

On balance, I think a forward pocket needs to go so for me it’s Lonie vs Kent for Geary is the one change I’d make
Kent or Lonie? Why not Gresham? He's had 1 decent game out of 4. Statistics show Gresham besting Lonie....just. But Lonie is scoring more.
Gresham vs Kent shows Kent beating Gresham in many areas - goals, marks, inside 50'S, tackles, etc.

Gresham is more efficient than both of them but he just seems flat. Not a 1 game situation....Gresham will be close to 100 games at season end and he's still playing B- / C+ ball.

Maybe Gresh needs a refresh or some damn passion out there, fight a bit, scrap for it ....Lonie will never be better but he's more feral and scores.

With Jones out who stays?
I respectfully disagree.

Gresham didn’t have a great game yesterday but he’s been north of 20 possessions for the last 2 weeks and IMO his contribution has been a lot better than what he’s been credited with.
I think he’s being marked very harshly by the brush of what people want his performance to be versus what it actually is. My view is that whilst not as tidy... he’s working hard, getting a bit of it and contributing.

On Lonie,
Rd1 - 6 possessions for 0.1
Rd2 - 15 possessions for 1.1
Rd3 - 9 possessions for 0.1
Rd4 - 16 possessions for 2.0

On Kent
Rd1- 14 possessions for 0.2
Rd4 - 10 possessions for 2.0

Now it’s harder to judge Kent on just 2 games but I think those numbers, in my opinion, demonstrate how much less we’re inclined to scrutinise players when we’re winning.
Both have been very mediocre in the games that we’ve lost and simply aren’t contributing enough when/if the teams not dominating. Further to that, we’ve seen from both that they can player better in terms of tackles, pressure and just plain getting hands on the ball

The challenge with both at the moment... the difference in measuring their contributions is heavily reliant on whether or not they hit the scoreboard and make the most of their limited opportunities and that’s really a concern.
Kent’s two games are a reflection of that. He had actually had less ball yesterday then rd1 but made the most of the opportunities hence his game has a positive rub to it.

The reality IMO, harsh as this might be is that whilst his last goal was a ripper, he was extremely lucky to get the first one which was gifted to him after King dropped what he really should have taken.

If we were 0-4... both guys would be under a lot more pressure

Compare there output to a guy like Butler whose gotten 15-16 possessions and 2-3 goals in each of the last 3 games and note the difference. Goals aside , his impact is very noticeable. The guy has presence and seems to make this happen IMO due to his work rate and getting to contests.

In terms of team balance, IMO there is enough room for 2 of Butler, Lonie and Kent... obviously Butler is a lock. For me it’s a flip between the other 2
I guess Gresham is under more scrutiny because he was a 1st round pick with almost 90 games under his belt and the defense that people have is, " hey he's averaging 20 disposals"....yet the same people smash Ross who has higher disposals and significantly better efficiency. If stats are the support for him playing, its not good - avg disposals 17, for 2020.
Almost every stat has dipped by 20-40% lower than 2019.
Either he's being more heavily tagged after teams realise he's a B grade player with 17 disposals and 59% efficiency (Im not using sarcasm, more pure asshole than anything) or his confidence, passion, work rate, or something is affecting him. He's had 85+ games of which 15 were awesome and 23 were average and the rest very average. What he "could be" better hurry up...
If we are doing the Cho in 2020...giving him 3-5 more seasons to prove himself, what makes him more worthy than anyone else waiting?

I like him. I want him to be great...hell, to be the greatest ever but if 85 games hasn't revealed his attitude and game what are you watching? I'd take Lonie 3.3 goals or Kent's 2.2 over Gresham 0.3.

Out: Gresham, Kent
In: Dunstan, Hind

It's hard to really compare him because we dont have other mids at 85-90 games. But if we are dropping Lonie for poor play Gresh has to be considered....He's piss poor compared to last year.

Try comparing him at the same age with Dunstan - similar build, both pick #18. Dunstan absolutely smashes Gresh at the same age....so if Gresh has NEVER statisticallly been as good as Dunstan EVER in his career so far...why are we sh1ting on Dunstan but patting Gresham on the poo poo?
I wonder if game time being down 20% has anything to do with his disposals being down 20% ....?
Hasnt caused others avgs to dip.

I think its a combo of his confidence, new players, new coach

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:01pm It appears that Dunstan did a pec muscle in the scratch match on the weekend and that Gears will miss one more.

Bytel had a good game by all accounts so perhaps Jones for Bytel.
Be great to see Jimmy Bytel debut. So much hype.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:14pm
Selhurst Saint wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:01pm It appears that Dunstan did a pec muscle in the scratch match on the weekend and that Gears will miss one more.

Why no mention of Jack Webster from anyone?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:23pm

this

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I'd love to see Bytel debut but I just mentioned on another thread that the like for like if Jones doesn't come up is Ryan Byrnes. Tough, ball winner and speed to burn. We've been sucessfull this year when we've been allowed to run so, run we must continue to do.

And Geary - I do hope he's right - we need him to completely and utterly shut down on Sam Docherty. Not sure who comes out (maybe Marsh)?

Go you red, black & white warriors
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 6:25pm I'd love to see Bytel debut but I just mentioned on another thread that the like for like if Jones doesn't come up is Ryan Byrnes. Tough, ball winner and speed to burn. We've been sucessfull this year when we've been allowed to run so, run we must continue to do.

And Geary - I do hope he's right - we need him to completely and utterly shut down on Sam Docherty. Not sure who comes out (maybe Marsh)?
Reckon they will rest Jones and Gresh - bring in Byrnes and Gears - Gears to do a job on Docherty and we have quite a few who could move into the midfield if required

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

According to scratch match report Webster missed the game and was managed - so doubt he will be ready to come in to the senior side

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

It appears changing his name to Jack to fit in maybe the answer to senior selection :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm hoping for no change, if we held firm against major changes after the Collingwood debacle, we can do the same after Saturday. I'm quite confident that some are still on notice but after last week they did enough to play again.

I'd love to see Geary, Bytel, Byrnes, Clavarino and Austin play at some point, but see no reason unless like players are injured.

I love Jimmy Webster but take the fact he doesn't automatically come in as a good sign. The same with Geary & Roberton.

ace
Saintsational Legend

For those who did not get the memo
We are playing Carlton
At Marvel Stadium not the MCG
At 7:40 Thursday not 1:45 Saturday.
Game will be televised on 7 and Foxtel 504
That means a 5 day recovery and turn around

Your team selection may need to take into account the advantages of fresh legs.
It gives Jones less time to recover although I think he has no chance in the next for 2 weeks
And I suspect an impossible job to fix Gresham's eye in time.
Dunstan played in a 16 aside reserves match against Richmond but had to withdraw at half time with suspected pectoral injury.
For an unexplained cause Geary is expected to miss.
https://www.saints.com.au/news/734652/b ... at-punt-rd

Make your team selections accordingly
Last edited by ace on Mon 29 Jun 2020 9:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty certain Gresh will be right.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 9:45pm Pretty certain Gresh will be right.
Does that mean Jones is a No?

Talk to me.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 9:54pm
Does that mean Jones is a No?

Talk to me.
FB and BF for what it’s worth are suggesting that both Jones and Geary will miss with the short break but should be right for next week.
Of the two, Jones seems to be right on the cusp with the suggestion that he almost certainly would have played on Saturday.
Gresh is reported to be 50/50 too.

Of the potential ins, the word appears to be that Bytel will debut and Dunstan will miss with a pec injury

Webster is the other name being bandied around with ppl reading into the fact that he was rested.

One probably imagines that Ryder will be in the conversation
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 29 Jun 2020 10:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shaggy
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:13pm
Darth Vader wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 5:05pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 7:18pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 2:21pm
SAINT-LEE wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:11pm
skeptic wrote: Sun 28 Jun 2020 1:37am I don’t think you can keep the captain out. Geary deserves his spot in the team and I think we need his experience.

On balance, I think a forward pocket needs to go so for me it’s Lonie vs Kent for Geary is the one change I’d make
Kent or Lonie? Why not Gresham? He's had 1 decent game out of 4. Statistics show Gresham besting Lonie....just. But Lonie is scoring more.
Gresham vs Kent shows Kent beating Gresham in many areas - goals, marks, inside 50'S, tackles, etc.

Gresham is more efficient than both of them but he just seems flat. Not a 1 game situation....Gresham will be close to 100 games at season end and he's still playing B- / C+ ball.

Maybe Gresh needs a refresh or some damn passion out there, fight a bit, scrap for it ....Lonie will never be better but he's more feral and scores.

With Jones out who stays?
I respectfully disagree.

Gresham didn’t have a great game yesterday but he’s been north of 20 possessions for the last 2 weeks and IMO his contribution has been a lot better than what he’s been credited with.
I think he’s being marked very harshly by the brush of what people want his performance to be versus what it actually is. My view is that whilst not as tidy... he’s working hard, getting a bit of it and contributing.

On Lonie,
Rd1 - 6 possessions for 0.1
Rd2 - 15 possessions for 1.1
Rd3 - 9 possessions for 0.1
Rd4 - 16 possessions for 2.0

On Kent
Rd1- 14 possessions for 0.2
Rd4 - 10 possessions for 2.0

Now it’s harder to judge Kent on just 2 games but I think those numbers, in my opinion, demonstrate how much less we’re inclined to scrutinise players when we’re winning.
Both have been very mediocre in the games that we’ve lost and simply aren’t contributing enough when/if the teams not dominating. Further to that, we’ve seen from both that they can player better in terms of tackles, pressure and just plain getting hands on the ball

The challenge with both at the moment... the difference in measuring their contributions is heavily reliant on whether or not they hit the scoreboard and make the most of their limited opportunities and that’s really a concern.
Kent’s two games are a reflection of that. He had actually had less ball yesterday then rd1 but made the most of the opportunities hence his game has a positive rub to it.

The reality IMO, harsh as this might be is that whilst his last goal was a ripper, he was extremely lucky to get the first one which was gifted to him after King dropped what he really should have taken.

If we were 0-4... both guys would be under a lot more pressure

Compare there output to a guy like Butler whose gotten 15-16 possessions and 2-3 goals in each of the last 3 games and note the difference. Goals aside , his impact is very noticeable. The guy has presence and seems to make this happen IMO due to his work rate and getting to contests.

In terms of team balance, IMO there is enough room for 2 of Butler, Lonie and Kent... obviously Butler is a lock. For me it’s a flip between the other 2
I guess Gresham is under more scrutiny because he was a 1st round pick with almost 90 games under his belt and the defense that people have is, " hey he's averaging 20 disposals"....yet the same people smash Ross who has higher disposals and significantly better efficiency. If stats are the support for him playing, its not good - avg disposals 17, for 2020.
Almost every stat has dipped by 20-40% lower than 2019.
Either he's being more heavily tagged after teams realise he's a B grade player with 17 disposals and 59% efficiency (Im not using sarcasm, more pure asshole than anything) or his confidence, passion, work rate, or something is affecting him. He's had 85+ games of which 15 were awesome and 23 were average and the rest very average. What he "could be" better hurry up...
If we are doing the Cho in 2020...giving him 3-5 more seasons to prove himself, what makes him more worthy than anyone else waiting?

I like him. I want him to be great...hell, to be the greatest ever but if 85 games hasn't revealed his attitude and game what are you watching? I'd take Lonie 3.3 goals or Kent's 2.2 over Gresham 0.3.

Out: Gresham, Kent
In: Dunstan, Hind

It's hard to really compare him because we dont have other mids at 85-90 games. But if we are dropping Lonie for poor play Gresh has to be considered....He's piss poor compared to last year.

Try comparing him at the same age with Dunstan - similar build, both pick #18. Dunstan absolutely smashes Gresh at the same age....so if Gresh has NEVER statisticallly been as good as Dunstan EVER in his career so far...why are we sh1ting on Dunstan but patting Gresham on the poo poo?
I wonder if game time being down 20% has anything to do with his disposals being down 20% ....?
Hasnt caused others avgs to dip.

I think its a combo of his confidence, new players, new coach
Gresh was injured round 1 and only played 40% TOG. He was injured second half last week. In the 2 full games he has played he has had 22 and 25 disposals which is ok given the 20% less game time each quarter. Only Zac Jones has got more than 25 disposals this year for the Saints.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Given Pittonet's relative inexperience a Marshall & Ryder combo would undoubtedly stretch Carlton

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Jones and Gresham Out
Bytel and Langlands/ Elliot In

Nee!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Outs: Gresham and Jones

Ins : Bytel and Webster

Gresham needs to get back to playing team footy, not show boating all the time. If Ratten hasn’t ripped his head off by now for those s*** around the corner kicks I’d Be amazed.

StPeter
Club Player

Sinclair must be a chance.

He has been emergency in every game this year and played every game last year.

minneapolis
Club Player

Eye Eye Captain.

(Don't reckon he will play).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
nobhead
Club Player

Can anyone tell me when training is
Thanks in advance

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 11:50pm Outs: Gresham and Jones

Ins : Bytel and Webster

Gresham needs to get back to playing team footy, not show boating all the time. If Ratten hasn’t ripped his head off by now for those s*** around the corner kicks I’d Be amazed.
Absolutely.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Mon 29 Jun 2020 2:30pm
I thought Battle was good enough to keep his spot. Very handy player and has a bit of dog in him, which we need
ten thumbs up to that
‘n the 11th for #21

a little hunt the opposition is handy
We breed em tough in the South West Gippsland league. Go the Doves.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Report on afl.com.au that Geary not likely to be fit for the game against Carlton, no news yet on Jones' hamstring - if he can't play bring in Luke Dunstan, or maybe let Jack Bytel debut, have to start him sometime soon.

The only possible "in" is Paddy Ryder but you'd like to think that the selectors will stick with the line-up against Richmond which worked quite well. Expect Carlisle to man-up on the in-form Levi Casboult, and Howard on Mitch McGovern who is starting to play well.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Harves Man
Club Player

minneapolis wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 6:40am
Eye Eye Captain.

(Don't reckon he will play).
Take a bow, you champion! :D

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

nobhead wrote: Tue 30 Jun 2020 11:52am Can anyone tell me when training is
Thanks in advance
Light run around tomorrow morning