Loss exposed our complete lack of star power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Loss exposed our complete lack of star power

We are crying out for a star. A player to break through and take this competition by storm. Too much to expect King to be able to do this. We have a lot of 'good' players. Solid citizens that battle it out most weeks. But for us to win (against anyone) generally everyone has to play well. IN 09/10 and in 04/05 we would win games like that by 5 goals and come away saying, 'thank God we have Riewoldt OR lucky the G train was on fire. OR Harves won us that game almost singlehandedly. I see the Cats had a solid win on Thursday night, and I didn't think they played particularly well, save for Selwood, Ablett, Danger and Hawkins.....

In games like that, generally Roo would have steadied the ship. Either by kicking a crucial goal or going back and taking a saving mark. Jack Billings needs to stand up in these situations if he wants to be regarded as a star I reckon.

I get that guys like Clarke and Coffield have to do their apprenticeship, but I'd like to see them being given responsibility in the midfield more. Let's be honest, you don't play your top 10 draft picks in the backline unless they're KP. Clarke especially needs to push into the midfield. Coff probably needs to consolidate his spot a bit more. We are not going to seriously challenge the top 4 until we win ugly and until we develop some stars.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Loss exposed our complete lack of star power

Clarke did get time in the mid field but had no effect.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Too little too late. Marshall tried hard but seemed of touch and that made the CBs problematic. At least some positional changes were made - who would think being 6 up early could end up working against a side. As eloquently put here and elsewhere no tough minds in our side - surely these humiliations will develop some, if there is the right stuff in some of the younger players.

Plugger12

2 min left in match and we lost the last 2 centre clearances. I like Marshall but when pressure on or he plays a too Rickman he gets exposed. Surely with both Freo Rickman injured he is in the position to dominate.

Sanctorum
Club Player

It's not just star power that St Kilda lacks but on-field leadership which was the one thing that should have stalled the Freo ascendancy in the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

To this I would also add the absence of Jarryd Roughead on the bench interacting with the players, a role that has been really important to the team as he has their total respect.

No self-respecting skipper or his deputy would have allowed the team to go to sleep and so meekly capitulate to the pressure applied by the Dockers.

Yet they did, and I would be most surprised if either one, or both, are not dropped this week.

As much as most supporters respect Geary's service to the club over many years, and I acknowledge that the players chose him as their leader, the team requires much stronger leadership and instead of a "nice guy" with moderate skills elect an "enforcer" with dynamic skills who leads by example.

Nick Riewoldt pointed out recently that he prefers a mentor who is a hard nut, someone who instils a bit of fear to get the best out of the individual.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 12 Jul 2020 1:13am We are crying out for a star. A player to break through and take this competition by storm. Too much to expect King to be able to do this. We have a lot of 'good' players. Solid citizens that battle it out most weeks. But for us to win (against anyone) generally everyone has to play well. IN 09/10 and in 04/05 we would win games like that by 5 goals and come away saying, 'thank God we have Riewoldt OR lucky the G train was on fire. OR Harves won us that game almost singlehandedly. I see the Cats had a solid win on Thursday night, and I didn't think they played particularly well, save for Selwood, Ablett, Danger and Hawkins.....

In games like that, generally Roo would have steadied the ship. Either by kicking a crucial goal or going back and taking a saving mark. Jack Billings needs to stand up in these situations if he wants to be regarded as a star I reckon.

I get that guys like Clarke and Coffield have to do their apprenticeship, but I'd like to see them being given responsibility in the midfield more. Let's be honest, you don't play your top 10 draft picks in the backline unless they're KP. Clarke especially needs to push into the midfield. Coff probably needs to consolidate his spot a bit more. We are not going to seriously challenge the top 4 until we win ugly and until we develop some stars.
Good post.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Cats have Selwood, Ablett, Dangerfield. Magpies have Pendlebury, Adams, Treloar, and Sidebottom. Carlton have Cripps. Brisbane have Neale, Fremantle have Fyfe and Walters. Bulldogs have Bontompelli and MacRae. Richmond have Cotchin and Martin

And on and on it goes.

Just one really dominant game winning midfielder would make such a difference. Could you imagine what kind of team we'd be with Pendlebury and Sidebottom playing for us?

stkfc1
Club Player

We defintley need to look at one more good mid. Have we done all.our dough on Hill and Hanners? If Hanners is on top $ then that's going to come back to haunt us, unless it was heavily front ended.
I reckon we're going to throw out some trades next year, we have some good players not getting a regular game, so it will be interesting to see what transpires. 2021 is a free agent goldmine. Crazy amount of talent becoming RFA and UFA

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure if taking Max was the right choice. We could have had a mid like Bailey Smith or another bloke that was taken by Port who goes ok (see below).

We will probably have the answer in the next 3-5 years

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... phjoedxxl0

Sanctorum
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 5:24am I'm not sure if taking Max was the right choice. We could have had a mid like Bailey Smith or another bloke that was taken by Port who goes ok (see below).

I was under the impression that Bradley Hill was the gun mid that would do the job we all felt was needed, and I have no doubt that was what the club expected as they certainly threw a bucket load of money at him to come across from Fremantle.

Apart from some stellar form in the pre-season and the first half against North, Hill has not lived up to his previous good form, as a result of which he does not provide the team with on-field leadership either.

The key therefore is for the coaches to work out how to get Hill back to his best, because if he does the team will benefit enormously.

Likewise, St Kilda's 2nd highest earner, Dan Hannebery has yet to get back to his best.

Get Hill and Hannebery to fire and St Kilda's midfield will be as strong as any in the comp.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Wed 15 Jul 2020 5:24am I'm not sure if taking Max was the right choice. We could have had a mid like Bailey Smith or another bloke that was taken by Port who goes ok (see below).

You are right Scollop, the answer won't be clear for another 3 to 5 years. I'm on record here as wanting Bailey Smith but now after watching Max and his brother Ben, I am comfortable with Max. I am more than convinced the Club knew Paddy & Bruce were not the answer.

That draft looks like being the best Top 20 of any draft.

Our midfield is still an issue but improving. One of Josh Kelly, the Bont or Cripps is the glaring hole in it. Fingers crossed we fill that hole in the next two years. Imagine one of those 3 as the cake with Billings, Hill and Clark as the icing.