Long suspension suss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmore
Club Player

Long suspension suss

I understand why the league is trying to stop head high contact, but the club’s meek guilty plea must have been inspired by the meek effort of the players in last weeks game.
I accept that it was a careless act but the club surely could have grown some for a change.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Long suspension suss

He was hung drawn and quartered by the Media

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

3 weeks is bull$hite

got ripped off here

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Very true, out of all the head high contact, his was the only one where the offending player didn't charge in with the opportunity to tackle, he got himself to where the ball was going & stood his ground in the way all footballers should be taught as they attack the football.

I think it's a cop out by the club.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

In terms of legality of the action itself - Ebert's was worse. Made a beeline straight for the player met him head high whilst up in the air.

This crap about the result dictating the suspension is bull.

The Saints are coming!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

I imagine the Club legal rep was warned in informal preliminary discussions by the AFL about the risk of a lot longer if it fought hard. Its name shows it is the AFL's Tribunal; so prudence rather than meekness (?). However if Shiel gets off or penalty reduced then we know the dice is loaded.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 14 Jul 2020 8:59pm I imagine the Club legal rep was warned in informal preliminary discussions by the AFL about the risk of a lot longer if it fought hard. Its name shows it is the AFL's Tribunal; so prudence rather than meekness (?). However if Shiel gets off or penalty reduced then we know the dice is loaded.
I'm hearing what you say, in some ways I wish our legal system was run like that but understand why it's not when a decision can be made along these lines.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Regardless of Ben's intent, the consequence was that a bloke got seriously concussed.

This is something that causes permanent injury even after football and should be prevented at all costs, if it mean Ben spends 3 weeks on the beach at Noosa so be it.

I hope for consistency, the bans can only get longer from here.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 14 Jul 2020 10:12pm Regardless of Ben's intent, the consequence was that a bloke got seriously concussed.

This is something that causes permanent injury even after football and should be prevented at all costs, if it mean Ben spends 3 weeks on the beach at Noosa so be it.

I do see what you're saying Otiman & appreciate that. This is however a contact sport so intent and best practice should be taken into account. There would be 50 times as many people in jail if we were to remove intent from the points of proof.

Best practice is to keep your feet, turn your body and keep your head out of danger. Ben Long did this. He did not fall on the ground, fumbling and scrambling head first.

Take this to the other thread where we try to understand interpretation, intent and prior opportunity. This game is riddled with inconsistencies and trying to make up for the cheap shots of the past by punishing the actions of today doesn't wash. To me anyway.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 14 Jul 2020 10:12pm Regardless of Ben's intent, the consequence was that a bloke got seriously concussed.

StKilda get teamed twice here. Longs excessive Eberts to short so he plays us. Typical AFL bulls***.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL