Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

saynta wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 2:43pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 1:46pm
saynta wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 1:43pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 12:42pm
skeptic wrote: Fri 24 Jul 2020 11:57am Saying that Ross was directly responsible for the Howard goal is very rich.

Carlisle won the contested ball
He hand balled it to an open Ross... albeit not the best handball
Ross then under little pressure hand balled it to Howard who actually had an opponent on him that he had to take on immediately which he did... and the rest is history

Suggesting that Ross set that up and assisted the goal is reaching of the highest order.
His role in that was quite literally receiving the ball, handballing to someone under pressure that went on to challenge and beat his man

On receiving the ball, Howard was in no position to have a shot... that goal was all him and his brilliance
Talk about creating a narrative
Putting your bias aside for a moment, in an era where creatimg the potential to score and where the pressure on the player attempting to scoring has never been hotter or more difficult, our coaching system would rate the act by Sebby as highly as Howard's goal. Ratts uses the "effective score" and "potential to score" system developed by DOS to measure how well his game plan and set plays are working during a game and so both players scored very highly for that passage of play.

If Sebby doesn't win the contest and feed it to Howard then how the hell does Howard score or have the potential to score. Wouldn't it be marvelous if all scorring opportunities were from balls delivered perfectly to the score attempter who just happens to be completely in the open and without pressure from defenders. In this modern era those utopian set plays are extremely rare.
Correct mate. It was a brilliant lightening fast handpass, something that Seb is very good at.

Don't let his detractors sway you, their obvious bias is plain for everyone to see,

I see elsewhere that his tap on to Butler is now being credited to Gears. Not surprised. At least the coach is happy with him. :wink:
Hatters will hate. Can you believe there are posters who want Sebby dropped for Bytel and Byrnes.
I want both young players to be blooded this year but not at the expense of our vice captain. Does need to lift his output though.

The haters are, I believe. the same ones who wrote him off early in his career. Some posters, don't remember who and care even less, called for him to be traded. What a f****** joke.
Hold on Saynta, you took me to task for acknowledging that a 2 x B&F winner has had a decent run of poor form or form that is not good enough but his past achievements have given him a stay. But you acknowledge he needs to lift his output. Surely both statements are correct but according to you mine was a "very cheap shot".

If you look at my posts after the Adelaide game, I've not called for his head or that of Byrnes.

MrHooker

Seb Ross is getting somewhat of a dream run. How many other players remain in a side when they continually kick and handball to the opposition? Last nights performance was pitiful. He always seems to call in injured when he has a shocker.

Club Player

Skills not up to it - even his hand ball seems to put the recipient under pressure - at their feet, behind so momentum lost, or to no one in particular. He seems to have lost the ability to weigh up options and just slams it forward. As our recruits and young guys have shown- he is marginal, can't play the half back role, Geary is our lock down go to - so where does he play?

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Seb’s form hasn’t been great, true, but we do know that he can play.

All very well to bag the bloke, but how do we replace a player of his type, ability and experience now he’s injured (along with similar types in Hannebery and Dunstan)?

As I’ve said elsewhere, maybe we add Hunter Clark to the mids rotation ahead of schedule. We have Roberton/Savage/Webster (inj) who can play halfback.

But the dearth of steady, experienced in-and-under ball winners (Ross/Hanners/Dunstan) will be a concern for Ratts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

18 possessions, 3 tackles and sat out some of the 4th quarter. Give the guy a break ffs

Sanctorum
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:55am Seb’s form hasn’t been great, true, but we do know that he can play.

All very well to bag the bloke, but how do we replace a player of his type, ability and experience now he’s injured (along with similar types in Hannebery and Dunstan)?

As I’ve said elsewhere, maybe we add Hunter Clark to the mids rotation ahead of schedule. We have Roberton/Savage/Webster (inj) who can play halfback.

But the dearth of steady, experienced in-and-under ball winners (Ross/Hanners/Dunstan) will be a concern for Ratts.
Indeed bigcarl, Seb Ross can play but in the current team he looks a bit out of his depth. Now that he is injured I feel quite confident that there is sufficient depth in the ranks to cover for him.

As you suggest, Hunter Clark is more than ready to spend more time on the ball, with either Shane Savage or Ed Phillips to play half back flank.

The thing that impressed me most in last night's game was the way Sinclair and Hind slotted in so well and demonstrated that this team is really interchangeable without loss of performance - something we haven't witnessed for years and a massive tribute to Brett Ratten and the coaching panel!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

18 possessions...
Disposal efficacy = 50%
4 clangers

179m gained, the 23rd highest ranked on the ground behind Hind, Hill, Butler, Paton and SInclair to name a few
To add further context to this, he had 13m gained more than Coffield who had 7 touches for the night.

Most concerning however, though it may be just a coincidence, is where Ross was playing when the Saints dominance really took off in the last quarter

Absolutely his form is a worry. Has been down for about three weeks.

I wonder if he’s been carrying an injury niggle for a bit longer then we’ve been led to believe.

Either way, we have to do something. Seb has a high ceiling and is an incredibly important player to this team... especially now that Hannerbery is unavailable for the long term as feared. We need Seb to be close to his best if we’re to be a serious threat come finals time.

axcellence
Club Player

Has been coasting somewhat. Still just slams the footy on his boot or just a blind handball out. Turning into Jack Newnes

Probably won't feature in top 10 for the B&f this year.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:55am Seb’s form hasn’t been great, true, but we do know that he can play.

There was a game last year that was probably Seb's best ever, I think he kicked 3 and knocked up possessions. I said at the time that should be his benchmark, sadly this season he is no where near it.

Obviously experience cannot be replaced but in his current form, a Byrnes or Bytel can likely replace his type and current output. That in turn will build experience.

Yes Clark can move in to the midfield, he's run through there a few times. Even Coffield as he has done work with the mids & Savage / Roberton can certainly fill half back roles.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:39pm Has been coasting somewhat. Still just slams the footy on his boot or just a blind handball out. Turning into Jack Newnes

Probably won't feature in top 10 for the B&f this year.
This!!!!

His disposal is rushed and almost always puts others under pressure - but these will be considered effective disposals because the receiver gets their hands on the ball - at their feet, or behind them - or a floating kick - but it DOES NOT BENEFIT us.

This is a perfect example of stats not telling the whole truth.

Last year he won the B&F - which player would have left a bigger void if they were not there for a whole season - Ross or Marshall?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:04pm 18 possessions, 3 tackles and sat out some of the 4th quarter. Give the guy a break ffs
I think he may get a break.
If he has a calf strain he could miss.

Who takes his place?
He has been playing a defensive role, not sure we have a like for like replacement.
Has let Steele get off the chain.

Battle and Lonie will have have their hands up.
Bytel will be crossing everything,
But none can play a defensive midfield role.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
minneapolis
Club Player

6621104 wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:40am Skills not up to it - even his hand ball seems to put the recipient under pressure - at their feet, behind so momentum lost, or to no one in particular. He seems to have lost the ability to weigh up options and just slams it forward. As our recruits and young guys have shown- he is marginal, can't play the half back role, Geary is our lock down go to - so where does he play?
Right on the number.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

I don't argue with the disposal issues but we'll miss him this week. He's a body in exactly the right place and we've no one else with the experience to put himself there.

axcellence
Club Player

freely wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 5:00am I don't argue with the disposal issues but we'll miss him this week. He's a body in exactly the right place and we've no one else with the experience to put himself there.
I think his value has gone down in the current gameplan.

Previously, he was a slowish mid who played on the outside. He would be receiving on the wing and kicking it long. Now, with the express pace gameplan, there's no time. Most people have faster wingers to pass it to who are in a better position to kick. It's bad timing that all three slowish inside mids in Hanneberry, Dunstan and Ross are injured.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

If Seb is injured it's time for another Jack to debut :wink:

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:04pm 18 possessions, 3 tackles and sat out some of the 4th quarter. Give the guy a break ffs
50% efficiency.

4 clangers.

20% efficiency by foot.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

For some reason, he doesn't seem as fit as he was in the last two years. His body shape has changed over the years from being over weight to being stronger and fitter, to this year being weaker. At this stage of his career, he should be bigger and stronger in the upper body so that he has more presence in the maul. Calf injuries can take a long time to heal, so the issue may be moot. He is certainly better than whoever might replace him.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 5:20am If Seb is injured it's time for another Jack to debut :wink:
Agreed, but didn't Mayo injure his knee? :wink:

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
scallopsroe
Club Player

Correct, he does alot of hard work in close and under intense opposition pressure. Watch the game and you'll see how hard he works.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Clearly, Seb’s role has changed and I reckon he has been hard done by on here.

He's still in my best line up.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Rumour going around Bytel might get selected this week to carry Sebby's bags to a game.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I have been vocal in dropping him, and therefore agree with the posters who say he doesn't fit our gameplan.
He was in the leadership group (not sure about this year) but he doesn't break lines or anything.
Lots of pointing on the ground. Little else.

Club needs to plan for the future and play younger guys who are more productive than him.
He was needed when we were down the bottom, but with the amount of talent we have now, his time has passed.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 4:02pm Clearly, Seb’s role has changed and I reckon he has been hard done by on here.

Totally agree St Pav, he is in our best 22 but like anyone else in that 22, they have to be in form. Seb may be suffering from players improving and the additions. He's just not adapted, at this point. He's earned credits but so far he's spending them quickly.

I'd rather Byrnes or Bytel play at the moment than asking why is Seb struggling. No winners there. Those that keep demanding Seb keeps playing, in his current form are the ones who cuddle the security blanket of mediocrity.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 6:57pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 4:02pm Clearly, Seb’s role has changed and I reckon he has been hard done by on here.

Totally agree St Pav, he is in our best 22 but like anyone else in that 22, they have to be in form. Seb may be suffering from players improving and the additions. He's just not adapted, at this point. He's earned credits but so far he's spending them quickly.

I'd rather Byrnes or Bytel play at the moment than asking why is Seb struggling. No winners there. Those that keep demanding Seb keeps playing, in his current form are the ones who cuddle the security blanket of mediocrity.
But is he actually out of form? According to Brett, his form has been good apart from the one game.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 6:57pm

Byrnes wont get another game this season and Bytel will play when we are tanking. Boys versus men at this stage and without any opportunity to develop in a feeder comp. Those that keep demanding these two play ahead of Seb haven't played the sport or understand the game beyond the comfort of their lounge rooms.