FB Rumour RE Hannebery’s hamstring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: FB Rumour RE Hannebery’s hamstring

His body has been cooked for the last 3 years, why is anybody surprised?

What a recruit!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not good.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:12am His body has been cooked for the last 3 years, why is anybody surprised?

What a recruit!
I don’t think anyone is surprised...
Some are in denial however

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:40am
The_Dud wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 1:12am His body has been cooked for the last 3 years, why is anybody surprised?

What a recruit!
I don’t think anyone is surprised...
Some are in denial however
Agree.

I think we were all hoping for the best once he came across but there are some supporters on here who like to feel good about themselves when a player goes down.

Pathetic, insipid and fair weather supporters who can just piss right off.

saintkid
Club Player

The big damper after yesterday's great win. Hannebery was and is cooked and he knows this. He came to us with several red flags and should never have been given a 5 year contract. He's had an eternity to come good and can't. Clubs have to be smarter with long term contract decisions on mature players with a problematic history and in the current economic climate, these decisions will not be easily swept under the carpet.
That is the point 'The Dud' is making and other supporters. Why would anyone here 'feel good about themselves when a player goes down'?? Seriously, this supporter slamming is pathetic. Any way you look at it, Hannebery should never have been given a 5 year contract by Lethlean at his age and with his history.
Last edited by saintkid on Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:48am, edited 2 times in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Source = Saints.com.au
St Kilda’s Dan Hannebery is expected to be sidelined for an extended period after re-injuring his hamstring at training on Friday.

Scans have confirmed damage to the hamstring tendon, with the club to consult experts in the coming days to determine the best treatment option.

Defender Jimmy Webster also sustained a hamstring strain in the club’s scratch match against the Lions and will be sidelined for three to four weeks.

Head of Football David Rath said it was a disappointing outcome for the pair.

“We obviously feel for Dan who has put in so much work to get himself right and will now need to complete a lengthy program before returning to the field,” Rath said.

“We are not sure at this stage exactly how long he will be sidelined for but regardless of whether the injury requires surgery or not, we think he will miss a considerable amount of footy.

“Dan is a really important part of our group with his experience and leadership, and the way he can influence both at training and on game-day. It’s obviously a blow for him personally and for the team.”

“Thankfully Jimmy’s is a less severe hamstring injury. We anticipate he will be back in full training in three to four weeks.”

“He has endured a frustrating run trying to regain full fitness after a back injury, and is an important player for us when fully fit.”

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Munga
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:33am The big damper after yesterday's great win. Hannebery was and is cooked and he knows this. He came to us with several red flags and should never have been given a 5 year contract. He's had an eternity to come good and can't. Clubs have to be smarter with long term contract decisions on mature players with a problematic history and in the current economic climate, these decisions will not be easily swept under the carpet.
That is the point 'The Dud' is making and other supporters. Why would anyone here 'feel good about themselves when a player goes down'?? Seriously, this supporter slamming is pathetic. Any way you look at it, Hannebery should never have been given a 5 year contract by Lethlean at his age and with his history.
It's four years with a fifth is he plays a certain amount of games, which after his last two seasons I think would rule him out of that. And frontended apparently, so not hurting us in the next two years. He's brought a stack of knowledge to the midfield. I'd say he could do a midfield coaching role with the reserves if he's not needed on game day with the firsts.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintkid
Club Player

Munga wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:02am
saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 2:33am The big damper after yesterday's great win. Hannebery was and is cooked and he knows this. He came to us with several red flags and should never have been given a 5 year contract. He's had an eternity to come good and can't. Clubs have to be smarter with long term contract decisions on mature players with a problematic history and in the current economic climate, these decisions will not be easily swept under the carpet.
It's four years with a fifth is he plays a certain amount of games, which after his last two seasons I think would rule him out of that. And frontended apparently, so not hurting us in the next two years. He's brought a stack of knowledge to the midfield. I'd say he could do a midfield coaching role with the reserves if he's not needed on game day with the firsts.
I hope you're right Munga because many loyal supporters collectively contribute significantly to the club's finances and fiscal responsibility needs to be practiced and adhered to, now more than ever, by club administrators (particularly here in Victoria where we have so many AFL based clubs).
Personally, I doubt the financial outlay made to Hannebery by our club is and will be justified at the end of his 4 or 5 year contract on and off the field.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 3:28am
I hope you're right Munga because many loyal supporters collectively contribute significantly to the club's finances and fiscal responsibility needs to be practiced and adhered to, now more than ever, by club administrators (particularly here in Victoria where we have so many AFL based clubs).
Personally, I doubt the financial outlay made to Hannebery by our club is and will be justified at the end of his 4 or 5 year contract on and off the field.
Memberships are a significant revenue for the club. There is no doubt. But a little math will tell you that without our cut of the TV rights there would be no club. We still run at a loss most years. The current administration is changing that.
Hanners recruitment was a risk, one we may lose, but their is absolutely no doubt the risk was justified.
We had $1.5m spare in accrued cap space. If we didn't spend it, it would become $500k. Great contract negotiations secured that. I'd guess that $1m was front ended to Hanners.
(Now remember, no other big name player wanted that money and Sydney owed us big time for relieving their cap. A working relationship that has evolved for decades)
So, Hanners on $600k for 4 years = $2.4m - $1m up front = $1.4m for 3 years = $467k a year.
While membership is a significant contribution, it doesn't even pay enough to run the club, let alone play the Players, the AFL and TV rights do that.
Anyone on this forum feel like revoking their membership at the moment?
Right now, I'd be happy at this point to pay Hannerbery his $467k-Covid cuts, to stay at home and rest till the preseason.

johnearljames
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:50am
johnearljames wrote: Sat 25 Jul 2020 11:47pm Actually confirmed. Hanners out for weeks. Same as Webster.
What an amazing coincidence. You and saints.com.au coming out with the same info at the same time. What are the odds eh......

Never has one poster so often tried to pass off public info as his inside knowledge.

TIP: You know that you would be a lot more useful and well regarded if you just published the source of your "scoops".
Scoops? Sources?

Not really understanding what this is about but my mate told me about Hanners. Shame, because he looked really fit.

<1 week ban for trolling>

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
older saint
SS Life Member

Who is the bloke who fixed Max Rooke - can we Zoom him?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Let me spell out the obvious.

Some people are so weak that they need to gloat by telling everyone how wrong they were.

Pathetic.

your last point...dur!!!

saintkid
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 10:14am

Some people are so weak that they need to gloat by telling everyone how wrong they were.

Pathetic.

your last point...dur!!!
As I said earlier, I don't believe 'The Dud' goes about it this way. Stop the personal attacks.
Hannebery's recruitment with a long and lucrative contract was questioned by many in the media and still is.
We have every right to an opinion...just respectfully disagree, if that is the case with you.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To add...
there are a number of forumites on this board that try to make things so personal if you challenge some of the club’s decisions. A few gang up (certainly not referring to Pav) question your loyalty, of wanting bad things to happen or for the team to lose, or take rather happenstance events and try to shove them down your throat as though they prove a POV which they don’t.

The point is that it’s hard sometimes not to get sucked into feeling a bit of vindication at times even though you’d prefer to have been wrong.
A fit and near his best Hannerbery pbly makes us a legitimate premiership contender now. Lots of red flags all the way through

saintkid
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 8:13am
Memberships are a significant revenue for the club. There is no doubt. But a little math will tell you that without our cut of the TV rights there would be no club. We still run at a loss most years. The current administration is changing that.
Hanners recruitment was a risk, one we may lose, but their is absolutely no doubt the risk was justified.
We had $1.5m spare in accrued cap space. If we didn't spend it, it would become $500k. Great contract negotiations secured that. I'd guess that $1m was front ended to Hanners.
(Now remember, no other big name player wanted that money and Sydney owed us big time for relieving their cap. A working relationship that has evolved for decades)
So, Hanners on $600k for 4 years = $2.4m - $1m up front = $1.4m for 3 years = $467k a year.
While membership is a significant contribution, it doesn't even pay enough to run the club, let alone play the Players, the AFL and TV rights do that.
Right now, I'd be happy at this point to pay Hannerbery his $467k-Covid cuts, to stay at home and rest till the preseason.
Everything counts CQ SAINT. There are also businesses that contribute to AFL clubs' finances. In our current times, there will be less of this revenue going around. Most businesses are feeling the pinch now with the COVID-19 situation.
We can't continue to run at a loss, wrong mentality. Something will and has to eventually give if we do. Businesses cannot continue to run that way, as we know it. My point of fiscal responsibility will be necessary across all sectors, including sporting clubs, as the world is changing.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:23am
Everything counts CQ SAINT. There are also businesses that contribute to AFL clubs' finances. In our current times, there will be less of this revenue going around. Most businesses are feeling the pinch now with the COVID-19 situation.
We can't continue to run at a loss, wrong mentality. Something will and has to eventually give if we do. Businesses cannot continue to run that way, as we know it. My point of fiscal responsibility will be necessary across all sectors, including sporting clubs, as the world is changing.
We are third and will no doubt set a membership record soon.
If the deal wasnt done, we have no Hannerbery, maybe Jones plays for Melbourne and we are bagging Ryder for feeding opposition mids and stealing Marshalls thunder. Howard for being bombarded and screaming at Butler to go into the middle and do something cause the ball doesn't go forward.
Success is also about taking risks.

saintkid
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:28am
If the deal wasnt done, we have no Hannerbery, Jones plays for Melbourne and we are bagging Ryder for feeding opposition mids and stealing Marshalls thunder. Howard for being bombarded and screaming at Butler to go into the middle and do something cause the ball doesn't go forward.
That's not my point but I respect what you are saying. Cheers :)

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:33am
If the deal wasnt done, we have no Hannerbery, Jones plays for Melbourne and we are bagging Ryder for feeding opposition mids and stealing Marshalls thunder. Howard for being bombarded and screaming at Butler to go into the middle and do something cause the ball doesn't go forward.
I see your point. I'm sorry for brushing over it.

I just believe that so much steering has been done by those clearly in charge of our football department to do the right deals, bring in the right people and get the team and club finances on track.

Hannerbery being pressured to play injured and then being dumped at Sydney says something about them. St.Kilda risking $1m to let him rest and offering to extend his career for another 3 years, says something very different about us.

While Hanners may not work out, a lot is going very right. Belief is building.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:00am

Pathetic.

your last point...dur!!!
As I said earlier, I don't believe 'The Dud' goes about it this way. Stop the personal attacks.
Hannebery's recruitment with a long and lucrative contract was questioned by many in the media and still is.
We have every right to an opinion...just respectfully disagree, if that is the case with you.
Stop being so obtuse and thin skinned. Everyone has been aware of the situation around the Hannebery recruitment from the beginning. We are obviously talking about two very different things. Like Roly-Poly, you sound very misinformed when it comes to other posters, hence best not to comment.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Pathetic.

your last point...dur!!!
I don’t think they’re gloating. Hannebery is a bust in terms of value for dollars paid. Poor decision to recruit on the contract he’s on. Due diligence not attended to.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

If we wanted a midfield coach for our reserves we should have gone after Sam Mitchell. Disappointing for all concerned. Can't even send him to Germany. I hope this season was also heavily loaded.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:13pm
If we wanted a midfield coach for our reserves we should have gone after Sam Mitchell. Disappointing for all concerned. Can't even send him to Germany. I hope this season was also heavily loaded.
How do you know we didn't go after Sam Mitchell?

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The are two pretty clear trains of Saintsational thought on Hannebery recruitment.

1. Got the ball rolling with players nominating Saints as a club of choice, albeit with us paying overs in $. Showed leaderhsip and professionalism to a group that lacked senior leaders following the retirements of Joey and Roo. Became a media spokeman in a club devoid of big name players.

2. Value & tenure of contract for a player well past his peak with a history of soft tissue injury in a trade that was effectively a salary dump for the rebuilding Swans. Gave up little in draft picks which was the major bonus.

Firstly I feel for Hannebery, it must be extremely frustrating for him to be putting in the effort only to be let down by his body time and time again with soft tissue problems. Facing the pattern of occurrence (without any medical knowledge) one would have to think his situation is unlikely to improve given his age and the regularity in which he has had issues over the past 3 or 4 seasons.

So where do we go from here and how do we extricate ourselves while maintaining faith with Hannebery and the playing group? We are in a new world and there is talk of lists being trimmed in 2021. Is this the opportunity for Hannebery to retire and take on an assistant coaching role with the club where we can be rewarded with his leadership and knowledge but recruit a player who can add on-field presence?

The much touted Lethlean relationship could now be critical on how we move forward with an outcome that is a win/win for both parties.

Regardless of the Hennebery on field output, his recruiting was a gamble and a gamble needed to be taken in a club that was bathed in mediocrity and going nowhere. Now we need to look to the future and IMO negotiate a deal that retains Dan providing him job security but ends his playing contract reducing the dollar and list burden he may create in 2021.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:10pm

Pathetic.

your last point...dur!!!
I don’t think they’re gloating. Hannebery is a bust in terms of value for dollars paid. Poor decision to recruit on the contract he’s on. Due diligence not attended to.
Not both, but one is and has the track record.

saintkid
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:48am
saintkid wrote: Sun 26 Jul 2020 11:33am
I see your point. I'm sorry for brushing over it.

I just believe that so much steering has been done by those clearly in charge of our football department to do the right deals, bring in the right people and get the team and club finances on track.

Hannerbery being pressured to play injured and then being dumped at Sydney says something about them. St.Kilda risking $1m to let him rest and offering to extend his career for another 3 years, says something very different about us.

While Hanners may not work out, a lot is going very right. Belief is building.
True CQ SAINT. The team belief right now is wonderful to see. They played as a team and with passion last night and we're mighty proud today. :)

I am still hopeful for him but he has had a long time to get himself right at our club. Most of the 2019 pre-season and season itself, the 2020 pre-season and again, a fair portion of the current disrupted season.
To us. it was an overly optimistic risk given his last few years at the Swans. Cheers
Last edited by saintkid on Sun 26 Jul 2020 12:28pm, edited 1 time in total.