Game plan change and good coaching

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

johnearljames
Club Player

Game plan change and good coaching

Great coaching and game plan change after quarter time yesterday. It's nice to know we can get control of a game when required and not just play high scoring footy like we did in the first quarter.

I thought it was brilliant coaching from Ratts. He knew we needed a win in this congested fixture and we got it. Its also the sign of a maturing side that we battled away and won pretty comfortably in the end. Its all part of the process to try become a top 4 side next year.

Our free flowing and attacking footy will be hard to stop at Marvel next year. Especially when King will get better and we also add another good midfielder.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game plan change and good coaching

Yep and that angry little Dwarf Clarko can go f*** himself.

takeaway
Club Player

johnearljames wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:17pm Great coaching and game plan change after quarter time yesterday. It's nice to know we can get control of a game when required and not just play high scoring footy like we did in the first quarter.

I thought it was brilliant coaching from Ratts. He knew we needed a win in this congested fixture and we got it. Its also the sign of a maturing side that we battled away and won pretty comfortably in the end. Its all part of the process to try become a top 4 side next year.

Our free flowing and attacking footy will be hard to stop at Marvel next year. Especially when King will get better and we also add another good midfielder.
The game plan change surprised me. I thought we were a bit loose in the 1st Qtr, but were only 3 points down, with 2 more shots. Hardly in trouble. 2nd Qtr we controlled the play, but not the game, only 3 points up at half time.

It is good we can change to a possession game when required, especially if the other side has momentum, but it hardly wrests control of the game away from the opposition.

I agree with Clarko, we are not going to beat top sides with that style. Even Ratts said it was overdone.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Clarko came at the ‘game plan change’ for a second time
towards the end of his presser
basically giving Ratts a tick for having his crew
execute and bank the win

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Ratts has had a fair honeymoon

good on his mate
for having a go
‘n it was only a little dig

SunnyErnest
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 4:59pm
johnearljames wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:17pm Great coaching and game plan change after quarter time yesterday. It's nice to know we can get control of a game when required and not just play high scoring footy like we did in the first quarter.

The game plan change surprised me. I thought we were a bit loose in the 1st Qtr, but were only 3 points down, with 2 more shots. Hardly in trouble. 2nd Qtr we controlled the play, but not the game, only 3 points up at half time.

It is good we can change to a possession game when required, especially if the other side has momentum, but it hardly wrests control of the game away from the opposition.

I agree with Clarko, we are not going to beat top sides with that style. Even Ratts said it was overdone.
Clarko is a sookey lala and was just in the right place at the right time. He is a bad sport and not a good role model for the kids watching him on television. He should be ashamed of himself.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:20pm Yep and that angry little Dwarf Clarko can go f*** himself.
I'd still take him as our head coach lol

takeaway
Club Player

SunnyErnest wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 6:00pm

Clarko is a sookey lala and was just in the right place at the right time. He is a bad sport and not a good role model for the kids watching him on television. He should be ashamed of himself.
Clarko's contract at Hawthorn finishes in 2022. I wonder if he will still have the fire in the belly to coach after then. Ratt's contract also finishes in 2022. Hmmmmmm.

realdeal
Club Player

Whilst i agree that we'll be hard to beat next year at Marvel, i think saying that it was brilliant coaching at qtr time, we went from having a 3 point lead to having a 3 point deficit at half time.

We certainly controlled the game in the 3rd qtr but we didn't put it on the board (ala the previous week), so with 5mins left in the game we were a whole 8 points in front. If you think that's a comfortable lead the you cant follow this st.kilda team too closely..
🥴
In saying that, learning to keep posession and preventing run ons and controlling tempo is all part of the maturity of the team... learning to put scoreboard pressure on at the same time is the next challenge..

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Constructive criticism by a guy who must be so bored with the footy journos (what to say?), and now a losing season - where is the respect. The journos don't seem the best and brightest but, do they; they dress appallingly as well, not a Saints polo or hoody amongst them. Beat up.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

takeaway wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 6:12pm
Clarko's contract at Hawthorn finishes in 2022. I wonder if he will still have the fire in the belly to coach after then. Ratt's contract also finishes in 2022. Hmmmmmm.
We’d be very unlikely to sack the reigning premiership coach lol.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I would hope that if we made the Finals that Ratts would be on the phone to have a quiet tactical word with his old mate Clarkson

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 6:10pm
saynta wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 2:20pm Yep and that angry little Dwarf Clarko can go f*** himself.
I'd still take him as our head coach lol
Nupe

johnearljames
Club Player

We have an A and B plan which is good. We will get better at controlling the ball.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
stkfc1
Club Player

realdeal wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 6:30pm

Whilst i agree that we'll be hard to beat next year at Marvel, i think saying that it was brilliant coaching at qtr time, we went from having a 3 point lead to having a 3 point deficit at half time.

We certainly controlled the game in the 3rd qtr but we didn't put it on the board (ala the previous week), so with 5mins left in the game we were a whole 8 points in front. If you think that's a comfortable lead the you cant follow this st.kilda team too closely..
🥴
In saying that, learning to keep posession and preventing run ons and controlling tempo is all part of the maturity of the team... learning to put scoreboard pressure on at the same time is the next challenge..
Excellent posts. We are showing the foundations of what good teams do. Dictate the style of play. Once our players mature and get more game time togethet our ability to score will become much better. Its easy to forget that this is a young team that just had a third of it totally changed!.

Yes, we've upgraded on the quality of players but they've only had 16 games as a team. Think about what they'll be like when they're a 50+ game team! At Marvel, on that deck, with proper quarters, we'll be an absolute force. I think we'll see why we spent the $$ on B Hill around the 25 minute mark of most quarters. He'll be the blur doing multiple sprints down the wings, while everyone else is jogging on the spot.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

5 times this year we have allowed opposition sides kick 4 goals in a row

On that running goal ladder we sit about 6th which is not great - its something we need to get better at stopping opposition sides getting multiple goal run ons

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It's been a trend I've noticed from last year. Teams kicking five, then conceding four, and again..and then the switch is flicked and no one scores for a quarter.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn dominated the first 7-8 minutes of that final quarter and kept kicking points

Well done to Ratts and our players for yelling "chewy on your boot"

Harves Man
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 1:53am Hawthorn dominated the first 7-8 minutes of that final quarter and kept kicking points

Yes, simple but cunningly effective.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 11:48pm 5 times this year we have allowed opposition sides kick 4 goals in a row

On that running goal ladder we sit about 6th which is not great - its something we need to get better at stopping opposition sides getting multiple goal run ons
It has been an issue for a few years now and is mostly to do with infield leadership, we don't have enough players who stand up when there is a run against us and say "not on my watch", Steele is probably the only guy who does it, Hanners when he's out there but that is exaxtly why we got him in.

We need more players who want this club to be a powerhouse and stand up when the whips are cracking.

johnearljames
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: Tue 08 Sep 2020 11:16pm
realdeal wrote: Mon 07 Sep 2020 6:30pm

🥴
Excellent posts. We are showing the foundations of what good teams do. Dictate the style of play. Once our players mature and get more game time togethet our ability to score will become much better. Its easy to forget that this is a young team that just had a third of it totally changed!.

Yes, we've upgraded on the quality of players but they've only had 16 games as a team. Think about what they'll be like when they're a 50+ game team! At Marvel, on that deck, with proper quarters, we'll be an absolute force. I think we'll see why we spent the $$ on B Hill around the 25 minute mark of most quarters. He'll be the blur doing multiple sprints down the wings, while everyone else is jogging on the spot.
Hill is really hitting good form. His maturity and body is coping better with the congested season now. This is why he dominates longer games and quarters. Watch out next year at Marvel.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 1:57am
Scollop wrote: Wed 09 Sep 2020 1:53am Hawthorn dominated the first 7-8 minutes of that final quarter and kept kicking points

Yes, simple but cunningly effective.
hahaha

i used during the freo game
couldn’t believe it came out of my mouth

ahhhhhh
the footy :)

that game was shutting down my heart chakra

bloody footy.