Why I Believe

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oboe
Club Player

Why I Believe

And it's not easy. I'm 58 and I don't remember 1966, some memories of 1971, was at the game in 1997 and cried in 2009/2010.
After the Richmond game in 2017 (we led by close to 15 goals at half time), then lost to Essendon the following week by 10 goals.
I thought this year was different. Richmond and Port Adelaide games were brilliant - thought we had arrived.
After tonight - 15 points up early, getting back to 8 points up in the last quarter to lose -I'm gutted.
I believed that we are crap - and then I think GWS are beatable - we can do it. Drop Hind, bring back Carlisle, let Membrey play as primary forward.
Maybe we just are not good enough.
Maybe next year.
Or the year after.

Maybe never.

I got asked by my housemate tonight - Why barrack for St.Kilda??? I grew up in the area - that's all. But Red White and Black pours through my blood. We can be 12th with a couple of wins in 1985 when we beat a Finalist (Footscray) in that year - overjoyed beyond belief.

Losing the GF in 2009 was so incredibly painful.

But tonight - West Coast with so many players out.

Down one at half time.

8 points up in the last quarter.

Sorry - an absolute pathetic effort.

But we can still beat GWS next week.

A week is a long time in Football - but I am hurting very bad.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why I Believe

oboe wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 12:16am And it's not easy. I'm 58 and I don't remember 1966, some memories of 1971, was at the game in 1997 and cried in 2009/2010.
After the Richmond game in 2017 (we led by close to 15 goals at half time), then lost to Essendon the following week by 10 goals.
I thought this year was different. Richmond and Port Adelaide games were brilliant - thought we had arrived.
After tonight - 15 points up early, getting back to 8 points up in the last quarter to lose -I'm gutted.
I believed that we are crap - and then I think GWS are beatable - we can do it. Drop Hind, bring back Carlisle, let Membrey play as primary forward.
Maybe we just are not good enough.
Maybe next year.
Or the year after.

Maybe never.

I got asked by my housemate tonight - Why barrack for St.Kilda??? I grew up in the area - that's all. But Red White and Black pours through my blood. We can be 12th with a couple of wins in 1985 when we beat a Finalist (Footscray) in that year - overjoyed beyond belief.

Losing the GF in 2009 was so incredibly painful.

But tonight - West Coast with so many players out.

Down one at half time.

8 points up in the last quarter.

Sorry - an absolute pathetic effort.

But we can still beat GWS next week.

A week is a long time in Football - but I am hurting very bad.
You should whip out your oboe and play with it ...... I hear it relieves tension :shock: :twisted: :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Let's face it, we are just not very good.

If you had told us before the year that we'd be fighting for a finals spot, I think most of us would have been overjoyed.

I think that patch of good form a couple of months back has created a false illusion as to the quality in the side.

In reality we panic under pressure, we continually kick to the opposition's advantage, don't take our chances, and are easy to score against.

The Saints are coming!
Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

Funny that you bought up 2017 because that has been exactly what I have been thinking of the last couple of weeks.
We were looking like we were going to make it and then choked badly. You look at this year and think of all the leads we gave up as well to North, Fremantle, even last night when we got ahead and couldn't kick a goal to save ourselves.
For me, it is more depressing because I'm in my 60's now and believe that I will never see this club win another premiership. It's like it is not in our club's DNA to be successful. I do believe that the loss of Gresham has had a major impact on us because he was the one midfielder who was creative and tried to always move things quickly and had a knack to kick goals.
Now we have GWS next week and I am pessimistic about our chances, and sadly, that's what years of disappointment and failure does to you with this team, every time you see hope, they crush it with an inept performance.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.