Dawn of New Era

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

Dawn of New Era

Over the past 30 years St Kilda has played finals in the following years:

1991 - 1992
1997 - 1998
2004 - 2006
2008 - 2011

No matter how you look at things, there is no question that Brett Ratten and the St Kilda FC Football Department have done a remarkable job to get the team into their first finals since 2011.

It has been 9 long years for long suffering Saints members and supporters to finally see the promise of a new dawn for our team!

It may be premature for us to call this the Age of Aquarius, but the improvement in the playing list in 2020, combined with the club's stated objective to bring in one or two more experienced elite level players in 2021, indicates to me that this team is destined to stay in finals contention for at least another 4 or 5 years.

For far too long St Kilda FC has been the whipping boy of the comp, often a basket case as evident by collecting a record number of wooden spoons :cry:

This needs to change.

What needs to happen now is for the club to emulate the "big" teams in the competition, and have long term strategies in place to ensure long periods of success, in fact to ingrain this into the club's culture permanently.

Having embarked on a complete overhaul of the Football Department with Simon Lethlean, I sense that the President and his Board of Directors will not take their feet off the pedal and wlll do whatever is required to maintain the new momentum.

Win, lose or draw the upcoming Elimination Final, I am convinced that St Kilda is now on track to achieve sustained success, and 2020 is the prelude to bigger and better result in 2021 and beyond.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dawn of New Era

I think in the 'AFL era' we have actually been reasonably successful, apart from missing the obvious.

Hopefully this is the start of another long finals run, with our talent I can't see why it wouldn't be.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:34pm Over the past 30 years St Kilda has played finals in the following years:

1991 - 1992
1997 - 1998
2004 - 2006
2008 - 2011

No matter how you look at things, there is no question that Brett Ratten and the St Kilda FC Football Department have done a remarkable job to get the team into their first finals since 2011.

It has been 9 long years for long suffering Saints members and supporters to finally see the promise of a new dawn for our team!

It may be premature for us to call this the Age of Aquarius, but the improvement in the playing list in 2020, combined with the club's stated objective to bring in one or two more experienced elite level players in 2021, indicates to me that this team is destined to stay in finals contention for at least another 4 or 5 years.

For far too long St Kilda FC has been the whipping boy of the comp, often a basket case as evident by collecting a record number of wooden spoons :cry:

This needs to change.

What needs to happen now is for the club to emulate the "big" teams in the competition, and have long term strategies in place to ensure long periods of success, in fact to ingrain this into the club's culture permanently.

Having embarked on a complete overhaul of the Football Department with Simon Lethlean, I sense that the President and his Board of Directors will not take their feet off the pedal and wlll do whatever is required to maintain the new momentum.

Win, lose or draw the upcoming Elimination Final, I am convinced that St Kilda is now on track to achieve sustained success, and 2020 is the prelude to bigger and better result in 2021 and beyond.
6 Prelims
4 Grand Finals including the replay (yes, it counts!)
1 drawn Grand Final.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
johnearljames
Club Player

We are on the verge of a special era I reckon. Our age demographic is very, very, very good.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

I feel that it is very important that we keep taking our FRDP to the draft from now on. By all means bring in established talent through FA but keep bringing in the best talent from the draft as well. Ideally what I would like to see is one FA every year and 3 young players from the draft via our first, second and third picks in the draft

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Really looking forward to how the players go in a final. As I've said elsewhere, this first final is the start of phase 2 of our rebuild and we need to be ruthless with players who don't cut it when it counts.

If we can beat the Pies in a final then we will be taken seriously next year when it matters.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:48pm We are on the verge of a special era I reckon. Our age demographic is very, very, very good.
If we get the likes of Caldwell and players 25 and under we will have a very powerful side in a couple of years and for a few of years

Nee!
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:46pm Really looking forward to how the players go in a final. As I've said elsewhere, this first final is the start of phase 2 of our rebuild and we need to be ruthless with players who don't cut it when it counts.

If we can beat the Pies in a final then we will be taken seriously next year when it matters.
Well if the Pies don't win tonight we won't be playing them unless we both make the Grand FINAL.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:51pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:46pm Really looking forward to how the players go in a final. As I've said elsewhere, this first final is the start of phase 2 of our rebuild and we need to be ruthless with players who don't cut it when it counts.

Well if the Pies don't win tonight we won't be playing them unless we both make the Grand FINAL.
I reckon the Pies will win.

Winmar7
Club Player

Yep, it's new roaring 20s for the Saints, our decade!

https://stublogs.wordpress.com/2020/09/ ... aring-20s/

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:57pm

They could but doubtful imho.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:17pm I feel that it is very important that we keep taking our FRDP to the draft from now on. By all means bring in established talent through FA but keep bringing in the best talent from the draft as well. Ideally what I would like to see is one FA every year and 3 young players from the draft via our first, second and third picks in the draft
We can still find talent with mature agers and rookie picks, but generally I agree with you that we should use any high end draft picks we have

There's heaps of youngsters and our recruiters have been relatively good at picking up players in the lower leagues

Wilkie and Marshall say hello

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:34pm Over the past 30 years St Kilda has played finals in the following years:

1991 - 1992
1997 - 1998
2004 - 2006
2008 - 2011

This needs to change.

Beautiful Thread

The era of Pelicans and Trouts and Cho's is behind us...this is the Dawn of the Planet of the Ratts. A New Era where we make St Kilda great again

saynta
Saintsational Legend

2020: Year of the Rat – Chinese Animal Signs. Saturday, January 25, 2020 was Lunar New Year and the start of the Year of the Rat in the Chinese zodiac. The year of the rat started on Jan 25, 2020. The rat is one of 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac (Shēngxiào, or 生肖), which is based on a 12-year cycle.Jan 25, 2020

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:27pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:57pm

They could but doubtful imho.
Another prediction of his surprisingly falling flat, what a shock :D

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.