None of our opposition kicked the ton against us this season. First time since

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

None of our opposition kicked the ton against us this season. First time since

1964 :shock:

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
on the outer
Club Player

Re: None of our opposition kicked the ton against us this season. First time since

Brings up the whole question of records in this year, shorter games, shorter season odd home and away fixture (no vic home games). Do the records stand up ?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: None of our opposition kicked the ton against us this season. First time since

With 16 minute quarters, 80 is the new 100. But that only happened twice this year.

2009 was the last time we had 2 or fewer scores of 100 against us.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Nice stat.

How does this compare against other teams?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:37pm Nice stat.

How does this compare against other teams?
I'll check it out and try to find out.

diddley
Club Player

on the outer wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:18pm (no vic home games)
We played the first 5 rounds in Vic, including 2 home games at Marvel. It was only in round 6 that we loved to Qld, and played at Metricon vs Fremantle.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 7:56pm 1964 :shock:
No disrespect but IMO shortened quarters have played a factor in that stat however I'm just so f------- proud of our boys to get this far considering the quality of the opposition

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

We cracked the ton once and 80+ 6 times, so the virus hasn't held us back much.
A lack of experience, 4 quarter consistency and accuracy has cost us a top 3 spot and all the other clubs would be aware of this.
We are essentially on a even ground with the top 5, baring Geelong.
We are a big chance of going to a Semi and if we get there, an even chance of winning the whole thing. I'm happy right now, just contemplating that, but I'm hopeful for a lot more than that.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

We also recorded our 17 lowest attendances.

on the outer
Club Player

diddley wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 10:27pm
on the outer wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:18pm (no vic home games)
We played the first 5 rounds in Vic, including 2 home games at Marvel. It was only in round 6 that we loved to Qld, and played at Metricon vs Fremantle.
I was talking about the league in general not just the saints and whilst we did play in Victoria earlier in season they weren’t exactly normal home games ( no crowds ).

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

We also recorded our most interstate wins in a season, 7 (and hopefully more). Surpassing 2009's six.

We won six interstate matches between 2013-2019.

But three wins in Melbourne is our lowest since 2001.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 12:01am We also recorded our 17 lowest attendances.
Despite record membership.

Has the club ever thought to introduce a "couch potato" membership ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

on the outer wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:18pm Brings up the whole question of records in this year, shorter games, shorter season odd home and away fixture (no vic home games). Do the records stand up ?
Nup. Ridiculous to even go there. Especially a stat about scores above 100.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:58am
on the outer wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:18pm Brings up the whole question of records in this year, shorter games, shorter season odd home and away fixture (no vic home games). Do the records stand up ?
I think with the shorter quarters and one less game it is fairer to compare a season like this to earlier eras than a regular season, as players back then were only semi professional, and had very little in the way of conditioning.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 9:11am We also recorded our most interstate wins in a season, 7 (and hopefully more). Surpassing 2009's six.

We won six interstate matches between 2013-2019.

But three wins in Melbourne is our lowest since 2001.
And (hopefully) our first final win interstate since 2005!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:11am
I think with the shorter quarters and one less game it is fairer to compare a season like this to earlier eras than a regular season, as players back then were only semi professional, and had very little in the way of conditioning.
I have watched a lot of non Saints games this season and I usually watch our replays at least once, and when you aren't watching as an invested fan you really get an objective feedback loop. I can't see much about the 2020 game that is comparable to full strength competition. The season will be an outlier in the histrory of the game, and just like COVID-19 itelf, this year's results are unprecedented and unremarkable. So it's very hard for me to compare this season to any other season.

Results and stats are, and relative to each other within the 2020 comp itself and that really is the only measure one can be objectively applied. This season can't be measured against any other season becuse of the changes to the game and the circumstances clubs and players have had to operate within.

Having said that we have benefitted from the season, the team has bonded and had games to establish understanding and cohesion and the new and young players have had games to practice their craft. I really feel sorry for the players who have suffered badly due to there not being a feeder comp.

As a side note, and something you won't hear discussed by the AFL controlled media, which is all of the footy media, is the longer Ad breaks between goals, players have been getting double the time to recover.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:39am
I have watched a lot of non Saints games this season and I usually watch our replays at least once, and when you aren't watching as an invested fan you really get an objective feedback loop. I can't see much about the 2020 game that is comparable to full strength competition. The season will be an outlier in the histrory of the game, and just like COVID-19 itelf, this year's results are unprecedented and unremarkable. So it's very hard for me to compare this season to any other season.

Results and stats are, and relative to each other within the 2020 comp itself and that really is the only measure one can be objectively applied. This season can't be measured against any other season becuse of the changes to the game and the circumstances clubs and players have had to operate within.

Having said that we have benefitted from the season, the team has bonded and had games to establish understanding and cohesion and the new and young players have had games to practice their craft. I really feel sorry for the players who have suffered badly due to there not being a feeder comp.

As a side note, and something you won't hear discussed by the AFL controlled media, which is all of the footy media, is the longer Ad breaks between goals, players have been getting double the time to recover.
'unremarkable'? I certainly think this season has been nothing but remarkable really.

However, I do take your point, but there are possibly two even bigger benefits - finals experience and regularly winning interstate as a group, two things we have not done for this many a year.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

"I have watched a lot of non Saints games this season and I usually watch our replays at least once"

Sorry SK, but didn't you spend the whole first half of the season yelling from the rooftops that you weren't watching any football, including our games?

No season can be measured against another season, as they're made up of hundreds, if not thousands, of moving parts that constantly change. This season has just got it's own set of challenges, but the premiership will be equal to any other.

Did you see the boys sing the song after the GWS game? Do you want to go tell them this season doesn't really count, and that most of them are taking it as a "gap year"? :roll:

I suppose trolls are trolls no matter what number nickname they're up too... :roll:

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:01pm

'unremarkable'? I certainly think this season has been nothing but remarkable really.

However, I do take your point, but there are possibly two even bigger benefits - finals experience and regularly winning interstate as a group, two things we have not done for this many a year.
It's been remarkable in the sense we have got a glimpse of the fab 5 rectuits and how they can instantly transform us. The excitement around what they could do for the team was there before COVID-19 derailed the season and so this season has at least given us something to really get excited about and our prospects of a flag in the next few years. I don't think we will win it this year as we are clearly around the 5th to 8th best side in the 8 this year.

The interstate wins in 2020 aren't really something we can use as measure of improvement as most of the comp has been played at 2 grounds and the Port win was with a very small crowd so not the usual hostile and intimidating crowd.

Really we have fallen into the finals in the end and so I think a really good box to tick will be a win against a side like the Pies. If we can, get that done then we can launch into a good pre season.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:39pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:01pm

It's been remarkable in the sense we have got a glimpse of the fab 5 rectuits and how they can instantly transform us. The excitement around what they could do for the team was there before COVID-19 derailed the season and so this season has at least given us something to really get excited about and our prospects of a flag in the next few years. I don't think we will win it this year as we are clearly around the 5th to 8th best side in the 8 this year.

The interstate wins in 2020 aren't really something we can use as measure of improvement as most of the comp has been played at 2 grounds and the Port win was with a very small crowd so not the usual hostile and intimidating crowd.

Really we have fallen into the finals in the end and so I think a really good box to tick will be a win against a side like the Pies. If we can, get that done then we can launch into a good pre season.
I don't agree. We only got thumped twice. By the girls from sleepy bf hollow and the filth. We could very easily have won 3 or 4 other games which would have put us on top of the ladder.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 1:42pm

I don't agree. We only got thumped twice. By the girls from sleepy bum bf hollow and the filth. We could very easily have won 3 or 4 other games which would have put us on top of the ladder.
I get what you're saying but the ladder doesn't lie, we are a 5th to 8th best side. We had 2 wins from 6 games before the GWS match and we were lucky GWS were imploding as a club. I've been to my fair share of GF losses and I can't claim we should have more than one cup, the scoreboard tells me we've come 2nd each time.

This season tells us we are on the right path, that is all, we have some work to do yet to become a sustainable top 4 side but the signs are promising.

I'm extremely hopeful of playing the Pies next week. It would be hugely beneficial for our first final to be against a powerhouse club. The finals simulation will be as real as you can get for this season and a chance for us to see which players like it.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:19pm

I don't agree. We only got thumped twice. By the girls from sleepy bum bf hollow and the filth. We could very easily have won 3 or 4 other games which would have put us on top of the ladder.
I get what you're saying but the ladder doesn't lie, we are a 5th to 8th best side. We had 2 wins from 6 games before the GWS match and we were lucky GWS were imploding as a club. I've been to my fair share of GF losses and I can't claim we should have more than one cup, the scoreboard tells me we've come 2nd each time.

This season tells us we are on the right path, that is all, we have some work to do yet to become a sustainable top 4 side but the signs are promising.

I'm extremely hopeful of playing the Pies next week. It would be hugely beneficial for our first final to be against a powerhouse club. The finals simulation will be as real as you can get for this season and a chance for us to see which players like it.
As you said, the ladder doesn't lie. So with that in mind, why do you rate Collingwood a powerhouse club? If the ladder doesn't lie as you said then surely Collingwood are a 5th to 8th best side like us? Contradicting yourself much Vortex???

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:46pm

As you said, the ladder doesn't lie. So with that in mind, why do you rate Collingwood a powerhouse club? If the ladder doesn't lie as you said then surely Collingwood are a 5th to 8th best side like us? Contradicting yourself much Vortex???
When you compete in elite competition you don't have the mentality you want to play weaker opposition to give yourself a better chance. The elite mindset is one of wanting to play and beat the best on the biggest of stages. The pies are a powerhouse on all measures and most experts have them above the Dogs when at full strength which they are starting to become again like when they last panced us. I want a crack at the team who beat us badly, not the team we beat convincingly.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:55pm

When you compete in elite competition you don't have the mentality you want to play weaker opposition to give yourself a better chance. The elite mindset is one of wanting to play and beat the best on the biggest of stages. The pies are a powerhouse on all measures and most experts have them above the Dogs when at full strength which they are starting to become again like when they last panced us. I want a crack at the team who beat us badly, not the team we beat convincingly.
You failed to see the point I was trying to make. :lol:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:59pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:55pm

You failed to see the point I was trying to make. :lol:
No I didn't. At full strength most experts and pundits rate the Pies as top 4 and us as 5th to 8th best. The ladder will most likely show that in 4 weeks.