Caldwell stats, bio, etc

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Caldwell stats, bio, etc

Just so a few of you can see who he actually is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZdDFkMACT4&t=111s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHf1lh_ZwOE

Limited highlight footage from this year online:
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/8093 ... 9556179001
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/5669 ... 2343629001

Nine games this year:
https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/players/18 ... #playerbio

I would be asking Lenny for the debrief really. Yes or No.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
johnearljames
Club Player

Re: Caldwell stats, bio, etc

Wants to come.

Will come. 90% certain.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Inside player who models his game on Joel Selwood. I read another report that said he was similar to Clay Smith at the same age.

Bytel is also an inside mid so it will be interesting how that plays out if he ends up at Moorabbin.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:17am Inside player who models his game on Joel Selwood. I read another report that said he was similar to Clay Smith at the same age.

Bytel is also an inside mid so it will be interesting how that plays out if he ends up at Moorabbin.
Jye has played 11 games, Jack has played 3. Who do you rate higher at this stage of their careers.

Are Jye's extra 8 games worth us paying him the big bucks?

Its worth remembering 10 of his games have come in the year GWS are letting him walk out the door. I'm always suspicious of this strange phenomenon.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:25am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:17am Inside player who models his game on Joel Selwood. I read another report that said he was similar to Clay Smith at the same age.

Jye has played 11 games, Jack has played 3. Who do you rate higher at this stage of their careers.

Its worth remembering 10 of his games have come in the year GWS are letting him walk out the door. I'm always suspicious of this strange phenomenon.
Secret Kiel - Jye was a 1st round pick; Jack would’ve been a 1st round pick had he not injured his back in his top age year.

So, we’d be paying a 1st round pick for a 1st round pick who’s been developed for a year amongst good proper mids. I’d be looking at it more that he was good enough to earn games in that talented of a midfield.

As for him walking - it’ll be a procession at GWS and he’s already not the first - it’s a toxic place with poor/rudderless leadership. And they have sever salary cap issues.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 8:03am

Secret Kiel - Jye was a 1st round pick; Jack would’ve been a 1st round pick had he not injured his back in his top age year.

So, we’d be paying a 1st round pick for a 1st round pick who’s been developed for a year amongst good proper mids. I’d be looking at it more that he was good enough to earn games in that talented of a midfield.

As for him walking - it’ll be a procession at GWS and he’s already not the first - it’s a toxic place with poor/rudderless leadership. And they have sever salary cap issues.
I haven't watched him play other than video grabs of his highlights so I don't have a clue about him. What I do know is we need midfielders with at least 50 games of proof and we need them to be on the list at the start of pre season or our development and top 4 chances in 2021 could stall.

Do we have the luxury of having 2 underdeveloped midfielders on a list that is in desperate need of midfield depth now. Look what happened when a Dunstan, Gresh, Ross and Hanners went out at different times through the season there was nothing in the cupboard, completely bare and we struggled big time. I know you toss off a bit about Dunny and Sebby, as misguided as it is, but I tell you what, we are stuffed if we lose established midfielders and replace them with Caldwell and Bytel, ESPECIALLY in this next incredibly challenging recruitment period.

Not to say we don't need to have the next generation coming through, however the development phase of this list dictates we need additional established midfielders on the list for 2021 (50+ games). And they don't necessarily have to be high priced marquee types, the market correction will make those types almost impossible anyway. I'd be going for 2 or more 50 to 100 gamers on the mid price scale and hope one fits the bill.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

In addition to JC, the club needs to bring in another established mid.

Clark should move into the midfield full time in 2021.

I don’t like the idea of both Ross and Dunstan in the same team.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We need young or youngish, highly-skilled midfielders inside/outside types with good delivery skills, who can win their own ball, and can also run with it - and are never panicky or rushed with pill in hand.

Hunter Clark has all these rare traits - and if he can build a bigger tank, he could become an amazing midfielder.

Caldwell's disposal efficiency is very average (60% odd) - i'm not sure that he has what it takes?
Is he good/cool under pressure - does he rush his kicks/handballs - what's the reason for his low DE?
He has been compared to Bytel, but he seems to run more with the ball than Bytel ... which is good.

Bytel is "too inside" for my liking - I could be wrong.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:25am ...

In these days of free agency, it may be that clubs are more wary of putting time and money into a player if it seems like they're going to leave anyway soon as they get the chance.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's going to come down to either Bytel or Caldwell --- if we end up recruiting Caldwell?
Playing 2 inside midfielders in the same team might upset balance?

I hope our recruiters have a plan from now on with the team balance in mind - and don't just recruit nilly-willy as they have in the past. We need midfield focus from our recruiter, but they also need to recruit the right types.

I'd rather keep looking for another young Hunter Clark type, with a bit more leg speed maybe, and a tank.'
Last edited by samoht on Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Personally I don't think he is worth our first rounder.

Not a slight on the kid.

But we need more for it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:29am
Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:25am ...

In these days of free agency, it may be that clubs are more wary of putting time and money into a player if it seems like they're going to leave anyway soon as they get the chance.
It's also common for clubs to give an asset a lick of paint and green up the lawns to offload the asset for the best possible return. It's also worth remembering GWS has had the luxury of stockpiling assets due to AFL assistance for the purpose of trading to stronger postions. Not saying Jye isn't worth a look, but I hope it's not our only target that we pay overs for. We already have one project midfielder in Bytel so do we really need two when we need proven midfield performers now.

Sanctorum
Club Player

bigred wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:38am Personally I don't think he is worth our first rounder.

Not a slight on the kid.

But we need more for it.
I doubt Caldwell will cost us a 1st RDP big red, he is exactly the type of young inside mids St Kilda needs, and with only 11 games under his belt he shouldn't cost a hell of a lot.

He's on record as being keen to don the RWB which makes it a near certainty that he will land at Moorabbin next year.

No reason that Bytel and Caldwell can't play together as they would be rotated at the stoppages and both can also be deployed around the ground as required.

One thing's for sure, St Kilda will be adding to its midfield stocks and Caldwell will not be the only target during the trading period.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
outside66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 8:31am
Saintmatt wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 8:03am

I haven't watched him play other than video grabs of his highlights so I don't have a clue about him. What I do know is we need midfielders with at least 50 games of proof and we need them to be on the list at the start of pre season or our development and top 4 chances in 2021 could stall.

Do we have the luxury of having 2 underdeveloped midfielders on a list that is in desperate need of midfield depth now. Look what happened when a Dunstan, Gresh, Ross and Hanners went out at different times through the season there was nothing in the cupboard, completely bare and we struggled big time. I know you toss off a bit about Dunny and Sebby, as misguided as it is, but I tell you what, we are stuffed if we lose established midfielders and replace them with Caldwell and Bytel, ESPECIALLY in this next incredibly challenging recruitment period.

Not to say we don't need to have the next generation coming through, however the development phase of this list dictates we need additional established midfielders on the list for 2021 (50+ games). And they don't necessarily have to be high priced marquee types, the market correction will make those types almost impossible anyway. I'd be going for 2 or more 50 to 100 gamers on the mid price scale and hope one fits the bill.
Jack Steele appears to have worked out pretty well for us. He also had an impact as soon as he arrived. Who knows what kind of player Steele would be today if we had the current coaching and development team when he came through our door.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:53am
bigred wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:38am Personally I don't think he is worth our first rounder.

Not a slight on the kid.

But we need more for it.
I doubt Caldwell will cost us a 1st RDP big red, he is exactly the type of young inside mids St Kilda needs, and with only 11 games under his belt he shouldn't cost a hell of a lot.

He's on record as being keen to don the RWB which makes it a near certainty that he will land at Moorabbin next year.

Where is he on record saying this? I can't actually find where he has said he is keen to move only he is uncontracted.

Nee!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Josh Kelly.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ross is not too far away from retirement with rumours circulating he is considering a move

Hannebery doesn’t look like he’s at risk of too many games

Dunstan could be on the outs

Could easily fit both Bytel and Caldwell on the list

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

outside66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 11:26am

Jack Steele appears to have worked out pretty well for us. He also had an impact as soon as he arrived. Who knows what kind of player Steele would be today if we had the current coaching and development team when he came through our door.
How long has Jack been in the system? Highlights the issue perfectly, we don't have time to spare developing for an immediate need and arguably urgent need. As I keep highlighting, if we don't find additional midfield depth that is AFL ready at the upcoming trade period then our development towards being a sustained top 4 side could stall.

Grab Jye by all means as a succession plan for players like Hanners exiting in a few years, but we need AFL ready, 50+ gamers for 2021.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:10pm Ross is not too far away from retirement with rumours circulating he is considering a move

Hannebery doesn’t look like he’s at risk of too many games

Dunstan could be on the outs

Could easily fit both Bytel and Caldwell on the list
I speak with Sebby's old man regularly, the rumour is just made up by you for the purpose of baiting and trolling. He bleeds RW&B and wants to be a one club player.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 8:39am In addition to JC, the club needs to bring in another established mid.

Clark should move into the midfield full time in 2021.

I don’t like the idea of both Ross and Dunstan in the same team.
I think if we could get Saad that would facilitate Clark's move to the midfield and we would still have a weapon off HB.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 1:36pm

How long has Jack been in the system? Highlights the issue perfectly, we don't have time to spare developing for an immediate need and arguably urgent need. As I keep highlighting, if we don't find additional midfield depth that is AFL ready at the upcoming trade period then our development towards being a sustained top 4 side could stall.

Grab Jye by all means as a succession plan for players like Hanners exiting in a few years, but we need AFL ready, 50+ gamers for 2021.
This is why I reckon we should do everything in our power to outbid Geelong and grab Crouch as a FA. Backend his contract if we have to but get it done!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:39pm

This is why I reckon we should do everything in our power to outbid Geelong and grab Crouch as a FA. Backend his contract if we have to but get it done!!
No . Too expensive, a crap kick who doesn't kick goals.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:49pm

Not true at all Saynta. The huge positive is that he won't cost us draft picks and he would be our second best midfielder straight away only behind Steele. You are just trolling and trying to cause trouble however I will give you the benefit of the doubt if you can back up what you are saying by providing proof. Show us a comparison of his disposal efficiency compared to other midefield extractors/bulls. Expensive he might be, but we can backend his contract to easily fit him in.

So go on, prove that you are not just trolling and show us some comparisons to other players regarding "crap kick" and "doesn't kick goals".

outside66
Club Player

Jack Steele came to us after 2 years at the Giants where he had played 17 games (Calwell has played 11 in as many seasons). Steele's first year with us saw him play 20 games, average 22.1 touches (his average this year funnily enough) and touch under 8 tackles per game. In other words, he had an immediate impact and was AFL ready. If Caldwell is seen as a similar mould then that's exactly what we need.

sks023
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:02pm
saynta wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 3:49pm

Not true at all Saynta. The huge positive is that he won't cost us draft picks and he would be our second best midfielder straight away only behind Steele. You are just trolling and trying to cause trouble however I will give you the benefit of the doubt if you can back up what you are saying by providing proof. Show us a comparison of his disposal efficiency compared to other midefield extractors/bulls. Expensive he might be, but we can backend his contract to easily fit him in.

So go on, prove that you are not just trolling and show us some comparisons to other players regarding "crap kick" and "doesn't kick goals".
Second best midfielder :roll: Better than Gresham :lol: Zach Jones :lol: Hanners :lol:

Look out kids, they keep it all hid