King Mentor

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

King Mentor

St Nick said King needs strong forward mentors, this was repeated by several others on the radio over the past month.

Could we trade in a FF with 2-3 yrs left in him?
I thought a player like Cameron would be gold. But he'd be looking a deal with the lot.

Is there a Paddy Ryder type out there I'm missing that we might get into the club?

Or does everyone think there's no point because we will be gunning for mids?

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Re: King Mentor

SAINT-LEE wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 6:09pm St Nick said King needs strong forward mentors, this was repeated by several others on the radio over the past month.

Could we trade in a FF with 2-3 yrs left in him?
I thought a player like Cameron would be gold. But he'd be looking a deal with the lot.

Is there a Paddy Ryder type out there I'm missing that we might get into the club?

Or does everyone think there's no point because we will be gunning for mids?
I don't think it's necessary. Now that King has got this year under his belt he will smash it next year IMHFO of course.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Mentor = Roughead

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Move him to CHF next year, get him running. Very smart footballer and would be intriguing to see him running lanes and traversing the square before he smashes the weights and junk food. He is clearly fit and durable now.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 6:20pm Mentor = Roughead
This and getting Rooey down for a few sessions next year.

Nee!
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Needs one on the field to mentor and support.
Off field is coaching, on field is mentoring ( e.g. this is how we do it, follow me)

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

We don't need another key forward, we need a quality mid.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Exactly. What he does need is some goal-kicking tips.

He is going to have a LOT of shots over the years and has the opportunity to get it right virtually from the start

Sanctorum
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 6:30pm Move him to CHF next year, get him running. Very smart footballer and would be intriguing to see him running lanes and traversing the square before he smashes the weights and junk food. He is clearly fit and durable now.
That's right CQ SAINT.

When he is being double and triple tagged up forward in recent games, I have often thought it would be good to move Winx into the ruck, both to gain confidence as he can certainly play that role very effectively, and to open the forward line for Membrey and the resting Marshall/Ryder to be the tall targets as both have stronger bodies and better hands.

King is going to be a star, no doubt, but he is only in his first season and I reckon his best value right now is to give him more time up the ground and take away the pressure of being the king-pin (pardon the pun) full-forward. He has already displayed elite disposal skills delivering the ball in to the forward 50 when playing up the ground.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
darylcowie
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 19 Sep 2020 6:30pm Move him to CHF next year, get him running. Very smart footballer and would be intriguing to see him running lanes and traversing the square before he smashes the weights and junk food. He is clearly fit and durable now.
Spot on, he is clerly more suited to CHF long term.
This will allow Marshall and Ryder to rest deep forward and play the King role instead.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
diddley
Club Player

I’m sorry, but who was Roo’s mentor in his first year?
Roughead would be a fantastic resource, and has not been there for half the season. Give them both a chance to work with each other.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 5:55pm I’m sorry, but who was Roo’s mentor in his first year?
Roughead would be a fantastic resource, and has not been there for half the season. Give them both a chance to work with each other.
Fraser Gehrig, Stewart Leowe, Aaron Hamill

Would never get the Number 1 defender with them running around - and would NEVER be stuck 2 on 1

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
diddley
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 5:56pm
diddley wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 5:55pm I’m sorry, but who was Roo’s mentor in his first year?

Would never get the Number 1 defender with them running around - and would NEVER be stuck 2 on 1
Face palm.
Yeah alright. I suppose they were quite handy.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 5:58pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 5:56pm

Face palm.
Yeah alright. I suppose they were quite handy.
LOL - also Barry Hall in his first year - and Peter Everitt in 2002.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Tex Walker anyone?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:35pm Tex Walker anyone?
Old wabble guts!? Did you see what shape he was in for preseason?

Anyhow, he wouldn't pass the psych test :mrgreen:
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:09am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 2:06am
SaintPav wrote: Sun 20 Sep 2020 8:35pm Tex Walker anyone?
he wouldn't pass the psych test :mrgreen:
He can join the club.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
on the outer
Club Player

Ben Brown ?

Ape_Man
Club Player

An experienced head could be a massive boom for King.

But I worry about how it would effect the balance of the team.

Ryder has shown how much impact a quality ruckman can bring. If we get a key forward to mentor King it could push Ryder out of the team and leave Marshall our sole ruckman.

Now I love me some Marshall as first ruck, but I also love him as a threatening forward.

For me, I think we need to find the next Ryder. An A grade ruckman and B+ forward. You know, the common everday Spider or Simon Madden.

That would do nicely.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Ape_Man wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 12:10am An experienced head could be a massive boom for King.

Ryder has shown how much impact a quality ruckman can bring. If we get a key forward to mentor King it could push Ryder out of the team and leave Marshall our sole ruckman.

Now I love me some Marshall as first ruck, but I also love him as a threatening forward.

For me, I think we need to find the next Ryder. An A grade ruckman and B+ forward. You know, the common everday Spider or Simon Madden.

That would do nicely.
I have written this a few times but a very cheap 2 meter Peter Wright could be a bonus smoky trade.

Has ability, plays forward/ ruck, a year younger than Marshall and just may mature and become a real player. If he came good a forward line with Wright, King & Marshall would be land of the giants and enough to frighten any defence.

He is working hard on his body and trying to build some sustainable size at the moment, he appears to know he hasn't been physical enough in his career to date and is working on this area of his training.

Also may not improve and be a wasted talent.
Worth a punt IMO.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 3:14pm
Ape_Man wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 12:10am An experienced head could be a massive boom for King.

That would do nicely.
I have written this a few times but a very cheap 2 meter Peter Wright could be a bonus smoky trade.

Has ability, plays forward/ ruck, a year younger than Marshall and just may mature and become a real player. If he came good a forward line with Wright, King & Marshall would be land of the giants and enough to frighten any defence.

He is working hard on his body and trying to build some sustainable size at the moment, he appears to know he hasn't been physical enough in his career to date and is working on this area of his training.

Also may not improve and be a wasted talent.
Worth a punt IMO.
Perhaps King could mentor him.