Finals Predictor

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: Finals Predictor

Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 10:30am
SaintPav wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 9:52am
Vortex wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 9:20am
SaintPav wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 2:50pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 9:32pm If we don't beat the Dogs then it really has been a disappointing finish to the year and means we will have only won 3 games in 9 matches.

Win against the Dogs and we might have turned a corner. We will be favorites against the Dogs and I expect a win. After that who know what can happen but we are clearly going to struggle to knock over most other teams still in the race after week 1.
We aren't favourites though.
If the Dogs can't get their key injuries up in time we will be before the game starts.
I’d prefer we are not favourites.

I’d also also prefer that we are not up by 5 goals at quarter time.
I feel ya. As we know, strange things happen when we are favorites and the opposition are perceived as vulnerable.
Bulldogs are favourites. Tab has them at 1.75 to us at 2.10.

We're the underdogs as we should be against any of the sides throughout our 2020 finals campaign.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:08pm
Vortex wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 9:32pm If we don't beat the Dogs then it really has been a disappointing finish to the year and means we will have only won 3 games in 9 matches.

Win against the Dogs and we might have turned a corner. We will be favorites against the Dogs and I expect a win. After that who know what can happen but we are clearly going to struggle to knock over most other teams still in the race after week 1.
If the Dogs can't get their key injuries up in time we will be before the game starts.

I feel ya. As we know, strange things happen when we are favorites and the opposition are perceived as vulnerable.

We're the underdogs as we should be against any of the sides throughout our 2020 finals campaign.
I recon the Journos have already decided on the cooky cutter template they will pull if we lose, "Saints Finals Pretenders". Only win 3 games in final 10 weeks to finish disappointing season that started so promising...and so on.

We need a win or this seaon will be a bust.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 8:48am
I recon the Journos have already decided on the cooky cutter template they will pull if we lose, "Saints Finals Pretenders". Only win 3 games in final 10 weeks to finish disappointing season that started so promising...and so on.

How do you get 3 wins in 10 weeks?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:22am

Take into consideration byes. It's 3 wins in 10 rounds of footy. Can you check my maths. I'm not good at it.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I tend to see it the other way. If they play - Naughton won't have played or trained for 2 weeks before a cut-throat Elim Final; Wallis is no long a mid but an overhead marking forward with a bad shoulder. That's not ideal. They might not be playing 2 short but surely, their combined effectiveness will be diminished.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:08pm

Fvck me you're so amazingly and constantly negative SK - look for the positives once in a while. You seem to be the only person talking us and the competition down. Peggy O'Neal is in The Age today saying that if they win, it will be hardest of their 3. We've injected 25% of our team with new players from other teams - not to mention a new coach - who've had a single pre-season and very little ability to train together as a entire group each week to gel a new game style. At the start of the season - I thought 10 wins and changing the way we play away from Richo's conservative boundary line rubbish into something where we might be able to kick a score would have been a big improvement. Finals were a nice dream. And here we are in Finals - against a similarly matched opponent (albeit in better form) with a chance to advance further. Go ask an Essendon fan whether they're happy with their year because they've won a similar no of games as us in the last 10.

Maybe appreciate that unlike a lot of other teams - we've done a great job to improve and make finals and now our players will get a taste of the pressure and expectation - and experience - of what finals are like ... to spur them on to achieving greater deeds in the future. And BTW - if you know anything about how betting markets are framed - the Dogs will be very solid favourites come first bounce so, we're no sure thing to win. We have the ascendancy in the ruck; their mids are better; and our forwards and backs are evenly matched. Personally - I'm delighted that my team will be playing this Sat and giving me something to cheer for. And I'm bloody proud of them for what they've done this year to date.

If you really think that this season is a bust if we don't beat the Dogs then, I suspect you're one of those impossible to please people.

Go you red, black & white warriors
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:32am

Take into consideration byes. It's 3 wins in 10 rounds of footy. Can you check my maths. I'm not good at it.
So this week was a round of footy?

I don't think any journo will be writing that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 11:23am
So do we celebrate making it into the second weeks of finals ;)

The Covid 19 Hub restrictions do make it technically possibly to have been tipped out of the finals last week !

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm cracking open a beer right now.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 11:23am
Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:32am

I don't think any journo will be writing that.
So we'll go with 3 wins in 9 weeks until our first final is completed then shall we?...you're right, 3 in 9 sounds like we've gone much better.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

On Thursday it will be 8 weeks since we beat the Gold Coast.

But it doesn’t matter, I’ll be happy as long as we win our last game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 1:38pm On Thursday it will be 8 weeks since we beat the Gold Coast.

But it doesn’t matter, I’ll be happy as long as we win our last game.
It's settled, you are in charge of counting.