The Essendon exodus

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Essendon exodus

The Essendon football Club lives in a fantasy world, where it believes it is still a high performing powerhouse, with a sense of entitlement. Like Carlton, who took two decades to realise that there was a national draft and you couldn't just buy players anymore, Essendon has spent two decades believing that it it could just cheat a little bit here and there in order to put themselves in their rightful place on the ladder. But here we go again. Every time things turn to sh#t they go running back to uncle Kev. "Please Uncle Kev, save us, save us" they cry. So the messiah is now on the Essendon board. What that football club doesn't realise is that Kevin Sheedy is the problem, not the solution. Their deification of this man, and their constant pandering to him has stopped them from growing up as a football club. His shadow looms over that football club, and for anyone who comes from outside the Essendon family, they have to live and work under that shadow. John Worsfold alluded to some of theses issues when he left the club. He painted a picture of a football club and supporters who would not accept the reality of the AFL landscape as it stands today. He was criticised for being disrespectful. But he was right.

The other elephant in the room is the Machiavellian Adrian Didoro. Adrian needs to understand that there is a difference between smart and smart arse, and unfortunately, there is no one at the football club who is prepared to clarify that for him. Cut from the same cloth as Sheedy, I suspect. His obstructionism, his arrogance, and his inflated opinion of both himself and his football club does not help his organisation in respect to getting the best outcomes. Universally despised across the industry, year after year he holds up the trades of other clubs with a smugness that is both pathetic and vile. Last year, he carried on in his typical fashion, thwarting the move of Joe Daniher. A smart operator would have involved other clubs in a three or four way deal to get a positive outcome, but no, he had to be his pig headed, arrogant self. Knowing that Daniher was out of contract the following season and with an injury that did not guarantee him playing any football in 2020, he still would not budge. And one has to ask, why would a player whose family has had such strong ties to Essendon be so eager to leave? Clearly, something was up. So here we go again with Didoro. The usual fiasco will occur during trade period with him as the central figure. Essendon will never move on until Didoro does. He is like a ball and chain. Some people are at football clubs too long. Some just shouldn't be there at all.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 6:53pm The Essendon football Club lives in a fantasy world, where it believes it is still a high performing powerhouse, with a sense of entitlement. Like Carlton, who took two decades to realise that there was a national draft and you couldn't just buy players anymore, Essendon has spent two decades believing that it it could just cheat a little bit here and there in order to put themselves in their rightful place on the ladder. But here we go again. Every time things turn to sh#t they go running back to uncle Kev. "Please Uncle Kev, save us, save us" they cry. So the messiah is now on the Essendon board. What that football club doesn't realise is that Kevin Sheedy is the problem, not the solution. Their deification of this man, and their constant pandering to him has stopped them from growing up as a football club. His shadow looms over that football club, and for anyone who comes from outside the Essendon family, they have to live and work under that shadow. John Worsfold alluded to some of theses issues when he left the club. He painted a picture of a football club and supporters who would not accept the reality of the AFL landscape as it stands today. He was criticised for being disrespectful. But he was right.

The other elephant in the room is the Machiavellian Adrian Didoro. Adrian needs to understand that there is a difference between smart and smart arse, and unfortunately, there is no one at the football club who is prepared to clarify that for him. Cut from the same cloth as Sheedy, I suspect. His obstructionism, his arrogance, and his inflated opinion of both himself and his football club does not help his organisation in respect to getting the best outcomes. Universally despised across the industry, year after year he holds up the trades of other clubs with a smugness that is both pathetic and vile. Last year, he carried on in his typical fashion, thwarting the move of Joe Daniher. A smart operator would have involved other clubs in a three or four way deal to get a positive outcome, but no, he had to be his pig headed, arrogant self. Knowing that Daniher was out of contract the following season and with an injury that did not guarantee him playing any football in 2020, he still would not budge. And one has to ask, why would a player whose family has had such strong ties to Essendon be so eager to leave? Clearly, something was up. So here we go again with Didoro. The usual fiasco will occur during trade period with him as the central figure. Essendon will never move on until Didoro does. He is like a ball and chain. Some people are at football clubs too long. Some just shouldn't be there at all.
Excellent postings very true.

I have had several conversations with Sheedy over the years. Nasty dirty footballer and an arrogant prick of a bloke.

You can probably tell I didn't like him or hit it off with him. He hates the saints too.

Dildo is just a f*** wit😇😇

Vazelos
Club Player

My 2 most despised AFL people are Sheedy and Malthouse. Sheedy is an arrogant shifty prick and I know he never liked us.
I remember once he decided to talk Luke Ball up in the Age when we were in tense discussions with him end of 2004 and it was obvious he was taking him up to lift the price that’s how he works. Using the media to his advantage talking about a rival club and his player to try and sabotage.
Met him a couple of times he was rude and arrogant hate him and that club who I despise as No 1 for many years.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 7:29pm My 2 most despised AFL people are Sheedy and Malthouse. Sheedy is an arrogant shifty prick and I know he never liked us.
I remember once he decided to talk Luke Ball up in the Age when we were in tense discussions with him end of 2004 and it was obvious he was taking him up to lift the price that’s how he works. Using the media to his advantage talking about a rival club and his player to try and sabotage.
Met him a couple of times he was rude and arrogant hate him and that club who I despise as No 1 for many years.
Yep, my experience also.

Dirty little back pocket player. Micky Milkshake ditto.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ask Peter McKenna about Sheedy. He'll agree with us and more. It just astonishes me the number of people who see him as some kind of genius. He's just a shifty, nasty prick

saintkid
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 7:47pm Ask Peter McKenna about Sheedy. He'll agree with us and more. It just astonishes me the number of people who see him as some kind of genius. He's just a shifty, nasty prick
And incredibly rich too. Those attributes have no doubt helped him. :)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Got a mate who landed a plum job with Essendon in the off field physio/trainers side of things just before Hird came in - under Knights.

He said all the player training assistants (most volunteering) were all Essendon faithfuls who had been there for years and it was an impossible task to gain their respect because he himself wasn't an Essendon supporter.

He was pretty much point blank told by these old timers that we do things this way and won't be changing even though he was their manager and was trying to introduce new modern processes - like they were stuck in the 70s/80s

Hird then came in and he was moved on in favour of Hird's crew and you know the rest of the story.

He also said Paddy was the one of the nicest guys there.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Couldn't of happened to better bunch of drug cheating ,big headed arse----s & I doubt anyone out side of Essendon would be feeling any sympathy for them & rightly so.

ace
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 2:52pm
roskilde wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 1:55pm
Of all the things in the league I find the Collingwood insistence on not having a second strip one of the most galling. Makes the league look like some provincial kick around or a tin pot dictatorship.

Every single team in European football has three strips. Real Madrid doesn't complain when they can't wear their famous White yet somehow their 'brand' survives in the meantime. What a joke.

If Geelong is good for anything maybe with their clout they'll be able to force the issue and end this utter embarrassment for the game once and for all.

WEAR A SECOND STRIP YOU BASTARDS.
Actually they do have a clash strip and have had for years just that there is only a slight difference from their normal jumper (colours inverted). They should be made to create a proper clash jumper.

And they change their jumper for indigenous rnd every year , and have changed multiple times over the years so they just need to get off it and play ball with the rest of the teams.
The point is it is NOT a clash strip.
It is an away strip.
But that it too hard for the Eddie Imbecile from Broadmeadows.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Anyone else seen the story coming out about Shaw?

Nee!
The Recruit
Club Player

Was a big rumour on big footy last night
Hospital for mental health? But all rumour then.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I heard Kevin Sheedy on the radio talking about the Essendon and Hawthorn rivalry of the 80s a year or two ago. He said that the Essendon/Hawthorn rivalry actually came from the Richmond and St Kilda football clubs intense bitter rivalry in the 70s, as personnel from those clubs ended up at Hawthorn and Essendon at the beginning of the 80s, bringing that intense dislike with them.
Last edited by samuraisaint on Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:45am, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
minneapolis
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 9:38pm Anyone else seen the story coming out about Shaw?
No. Which Shaw and what is the story?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
spert
Saintsational Legend

If McGrath hasn't signed yet, the the Saints should be going all out to grab him.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 5:39am
fugazi wrote: Thu 08 Oct 2020 9:38pm Anyone else seen the story coming out about Shaw?
Rhyce.
Rumour on Big footy that he was in hospital with mental health issues and wouldn't coach again. John Blakey standing by to take over.
Would normally ignore it but there seemed quite a bit of heat in it.

Hope he's ok. Seems like a decent bloke.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 7:59am
minneapolis wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 5:39am
Rhyce.
Rumour on Big footy that he was in hospital with mental health issues and wouldn't coach again. John Blakey standing by to take over.
Would normally ignore it but there seemed quite a bit of heat in it.

Hope he's ok. Seems like a decent bloke.
Ditto.

SaintDippa
Club Player

Don't mind Dodoro. Has an Essendon first, stuff youse all approach. Prefer him to stay in the job and keep overpaying for mediocre talent.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It was confirmed on SEN this morning that Sydney had two first round picks ( 5 and 9) in the offing for Daniher last year and Didoro rejected it. He wanted more. What a complete fool. Now Essendon will probably get one end of first round pick. I love it.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:01am Don't mind Dodoro. Has an Essendon first, stuff youse all approach. Prefer him to stay in the job and keep overpaying for mediocre talent.
He's a f*** wit.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:11am It was confirmed on SEN this morning that Sydney had two first round picks ( 5 and 9) in the offing for Daniher last year and Didoro rejected it. He wanted more. What a complete fool. Now Essendon will probably get one end of first round pick. I love it.
I hate Essendoom with a passion but, cwrcyn - that's simply not true. The Swans never, ever had pick 9 in their possession. Pick 9 was owned by Carltoon and they point blank refused to release that as part of a trade for Papley (they wanted to offer a 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder) as they wanted to retain that pick to split it and use on Jack Martin if they needed to. So - the Swines never had Pick 9 to offer. In turn - the Swines were trying split their pick 5 and use one of them on Daniher.

The fact is - The Injectors will probably end up with a pick around about what they would've got from the Swines (had they been able to split their pick 5) but, it's still a shocking look for a Daniher to want to leave given he was central to the blue-sky pitch to get Sheil and that utter turd Devon Smith.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 2:17pm
cwrcyn wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 10:11am It was confirmed on SEN this morning that Sydney had two first round picks ( 5 and 9) in the offing for Daniher last year and Didoro rejected it. He wanted more. What a complete fool. Now Essendon will probably get one end of first round pick. I love it.
I hate Essendoom with a passion but, cwrcyn - that's simply not true. The Swans never, ever had pick 9 in their possession. Pick 9 was owned by Carltoon and they point blank refused to release that as part of a trade for Papley (they wanted to offer a 2nd rounder and a future 2nd rounder) as they wanted to retain that pick to split it and use on Jack Martin if they needed to. So - the Swines never had Pick 9 to offer. In turn - the Swines were trying split their pick 5 and use one of them on Daniher.

The fact is - The Injectors will probably end up with a pick around about what they would've got from the Swines (had they been able to split their pick 5) but, it's still a shocking look for a Daniher to want to leave given he was central to the blue-sky pitch to get Sheil and that utter turd Devon Smith.
Joe has only played 15 games out of a possible 61 in the past three years. Only worth a second rounder imhfo.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

As I understand it, if Essendon agreed to pick 9 from Carlton, Papley would have gone to accommodate the deal to get Daniher across the line.......that's how I read it

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Maybe I misunderstood. Anyhow, the smug d**khead from Essendon still stuffed it up. He'll get far less this year. Complete knob

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 4:52pm Maybe I misunderstood. Anyhow, the smug d**khead from Essendon still stuffed it up. He'll get far less this year. Complete knob
As i understand it Brisbane will only have to trade for Daniher if Essendon matches the Lions offer, otherwise Essendope will rely on the AFL to over compensate them for their loss.

I hope the AFL gives them a 3rd rounder, based on the amount of games Daniher has played over the last 3 years. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 09 Oct 2020 4:50pm As I understand it, if Essendon agreed to pick 9 from Carlton, Papley would have gone to accommodate the deal to get Daniher across the line.......that's how I read it
Ahh - I see where you’re coming from now. It was actually the Blues that controlled that deal. They couldn’t offer 9 for Papley in case they needed it for Martin (turns out they called Suns bluff and walked him to the (PSD). Therefore, the Swans never had 9 and were never going to get it ... so whether Essendon agreed to take 9 ends up being redundant.

Funnily enough ... the Blues need Papley way more than Martin. Can’t believe they’re going to play Eddie again

Go you red, black & white warriors