Post Mortem

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Post Mortem

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 1:54pm
perfectionist wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 1:42pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 12:42pm ...9) Why did we win the tap often and a Black and Yellow collected it so often?
Two reasons:
The tap wasn't silver service like last week and second, we got it but handballed directly to Richmond who go the breakaway and three goals on my count.
Did you see when Hunter got the collect, tried to switch sides (not being two-sided), was stripped of the ball, and Richmond stole it, foe a successful f50 entry.

Death by a thousand cuts stuff.

We need a two sided inside mid!!
I saw that, perhaps you've missed most of his double sided season. Seriously.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 8:00am Post Mortem.
-Can't beat the top sides with slow ball movement and long bombs inside 50. How much better did we look after half time. If only we attacked for all Q's.
-got smashed in the 'dirty 1 percenters'. Saints free. Just tackle who ever has the footy on lie on top of him for 10 seconds stopping ball return allowing teammates to flood back. Idiot umps should be paying 50 and stop this crap.
-delist Walton. Did nothing.
-need to really understand the blocking rule. Top sides are stopping forwards running to F50 marking contests. We need to find out what defenders can get away with and push that envelope
-man up Dusty at centre bounces. Just man him up FFS.
-if your any where near the footy after conceeding a goal run around indicating 'touched'
-opposition free or mark 30 out then flame a fight hoping for a reversal

Disappointing, but as in other threads, defensively we look set up, need more skill with speed thru the middle and I'm starting to like the idea of Ben Brown if brother King is 3 years away.
Delist Walton? Surely you're taking the piss Dipshit?

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:34pm
perfectionist wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 1:42pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 12:42pm ...9) Why did we win the tap often and a Black and Yellow collected it so often?
Two reasons:
The tap wasn't silver service like last week and second, we got it but handballed directly to Richmond who go the breakaway and three goals on my count.
Did you see when Hunter got the collect, tried to switch sides (not being two-sided), was stripped of the ball, and Richmond stole it, foe a successful f50 entry.

I saw that, perhaps you've missed most of his double sided season. Seriously.
No clearly the commentator said he was looking for his other side - so it must be the case - even though Hunter has been fantastic with both feet - in fact - you would struggle to determine which is his 'preferred' side. I am probably wrong - but in an interview, I am sure that he says his father would not let him kick on the preferred until he had kicked on his other side. It may have been someone else - but I am sure it was Hunter. He developed his left at the age of 12 when injured and rather than spend time on the sideline - practised kicking Southpaw!

From AFL website:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/94001/draft ... king-sides
HUNTER Clark was so keen to become a dual-sided player through his youth that sometimes the highly rated draft prospect would ban himself from kicking on his preferred right foot in junior matches so his left side would improve.

But hey - a commentator said it so it must be true - lets not play him in the midfield because of a comment by some random who doesn't know his stuff! Perhaps Hunter's hesitation was because there was nowhere better to go!
Last edited by Sainter_Dad on Sat 10 Oct 2020 3:00pm, edited 2 times in total.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:34pmI saw that, perhaps you've missed most of [Clark's] double sided season. Seriously.
I'm not convinced people know Clark's natural side anymore.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:59pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 2:34pmI saw that, perhaps you've missed most of [Clark's] double sided season. Seriously.
I'm not convinced people know Clark's natural side anymore.
I haven’t seen many games. I put my hand up.

I like Hunters poise, time, swerve, he is obviously one of our best players.

People speak of him as a mid. Good for that.

Didn’t change the facts last night, in so far as they were reported and what I saw. I just saw countless times we won the tap, it fell to either a tigers advantage or to a 50/50 or even saint advantage and us get stripped of the ball. When I saw him get that, and heard true commentator I thought...alas...we are getting smashed in the middle, Hunter is being thrown in there too, and he, under incredible pressure did something instinctive. Tigers were on his left, he should have gone out and right immediately but balked the wrong way. Stripped. Turnover.

I am no expert and I haven’t seen many games. At the beginning of the season i even confused him with McKenzie. I confess.

And we need class mids, two sided mids. If he is one, bravo.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I did see that, but I thought he was looking for an option down field rather than foot changing. He'll learn that, unless you're a receiving outrider, you don't have time to pick and choose. A long kick is the best option, something he can do.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

shanegrambeau wrote: Sat 10 Oct 2020 4:16pmI haven’t seen many games. I put my hand up.
Fair enough, too. Clark uses his left so much now that I think he has a lot of people fooled into thinking it's his preferred option. It didn't sound like McAvaney was aware that he's a right-footer. Clark definitely held it too long, leading to a strip, as you said. I just don't think it was for the reason suggested on the commentary (unless I'm misunderstanding Bruce, which is entirely possible).

It was a frustrating game in which our midfield was badly beaten by what is, other than Martin, a pretty pedestrian midfield. I would agree that we need to improve somewhat in that area. Other than Steele, I don't really believe in any of the players we've used in there regularly this year. I don't know if Clark is the answer there, but I think it's time to find out.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
ace
Saintsational Legend

I would take and keep Sam Walton or any of his four kids Alice, Jim, Robson, John or even his grand children.
With that much cash we could buy plenty of premierships.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SaintDippa
Club Player

[quote="CQ SAINT" post_id=1877133 time=1602301141 user_id=22474]
[quote=SaintDippa post_id=1876988 time=1602277223 user_id=2727]
Post Mortem.
-Can't beat the top sides with slow ball movement and long bombs inside 50. How much better did we look after half time. If only we attacked for all Q's.
-got smashed in the 'dirty 1 percenters'. Saints free. Just tackle who ever has the footy on lie on top of him for 10 seconds stopping ball return allowing teammates to flood back. Idiot umps should be paying 50 and stop this crap.
-delist Walton. Did nothing.
-need to really understand the blocking rule. Top sides are stopping forwards running to F50 marking contests. We need to find out what defenders can get away with and push that envelope
-man up Dusty at centre bounces. Just man him up FFS.
-if your any where near the footy after conceeding a goal run around indicating 'touched'
-opposition free or mark 30 out then flame a fight hoping for a reversal

Disappointing, but as in other threads, defensively we look set up, need more skill with speed thru the middle and I'm starting to like the idea of Ben Brown if brother King is 3 years away.
[/quote]

Delist Walton? Surely you're taking the piss Dipshit?
[/quote]

Lol. Someone posted to delist Walton. No idea who that is. Yep. You got it. Extracting urine.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The problem was that the taps themselves weren't to advantage.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sun 11 Oct 2020 10:31am The problem was that the taps themselves weren't to advantage.
That's right - the difference between Paddy and Rowan, but he'll get much better.