Hear Shane Crawford?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Hear Shane Crawford?

Very disappointed with our lack of pressure against Richmond.
Said we rested on our laurels

Also said King ain’t no full forward, def a CHF who roams.

Suggested we seek a Ben Brown for FF.

Interesting.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Hear Shane Crawford?

Indisputably right on the first matter. Two finals with remarkably few tackles, lots of players holding back.

Wrong on the second matter, at least re Ben Brown. Should get a better offer from elsewhere anyway, so it's a moot point.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

King is 20 y.o.
Learning from Roughy, long learning curve.
I don't think you can pigeonhole a 20 y.o. footballer.
FF, CHF? Way too early to call.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Would you buy a racehorse from that man. Has sold his soul, like plenty of others, to the gambling industry and with it credibility. Richmond knew they had been in a game. Looking at a stat is lazy commentary/theatre; boys tried but had trouble putting combination punches together. Clearance domination won it for Richmond - it was too good in that respect. I doubt Crawford in his prime would put Dusty down in a tackle so easier said than done. Were we ever going to win a street fight with Richmond? A lot of "expert" comments ignore the chicken/egg argument. Do you win because of tackling or do you have more tackles because you win. Last time I looked scoring was the thing that wins games and we had chances.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Pretty right about the lack of pressure the other night- Richmond had no physical pressure in most goals they kicked, also agree that Max will be better up the ground. We missed Paddy more than anything, but it was not a good enough defensive game for a lot of our players.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Crawford is a friggin idiot.

Had to stop watching.

🤮

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Peanut Farm
Club Player

Yes, lack of pressure and our 3 most expensive players players went missing - Hill, Hannebury and Billings. We kicked bad and Richmond plucked 5 goals out of their arse which they wont repeat against Port.

ace
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 3:00am Very disappointed with our lack of pressure against Richmond.
Said we rested on our laurels

Also said King ain’t no full forward, def a CHF who roams.

Suggested we seek a Ben Brown for FF.

Interesting.
Ben Brown is a full forward who marks on the lead.
Nick Reiwoldt may never have been named at full forward but he did that role often.
The greatest of all time was Tony Lockett.

But part of the falling out of Brown at North is recognition of the difficulty in establishing space for the forward to lead into.
Especially if that forward is the number one target.
Defenders zone off to cut off leads.
Geelong is able to clear space for Hawkins only because his surrounding teammates are also dangerous and can not be zoned off.
But the day of the full forward who marks on the lead are numbered if not already negative.

There is no doubt Max King takes marks when he is allowed to stray from full forward but not when in range.
If Marshall is freed from ruck duties he can play goal square or roaming CHF.
At this point in time Marshall is better goal square mark than King.

The Saints don't need another tall forward, they need another dominant ruckman who rests forward so Marshall does not play ruck.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, the lack of pressure and hardness also called out by Cornes..they refer to 38 tackles, but as someone inferred, tackling teams often lose as they are not carrying the ball.

Tigers were brutal...bullies. We were soft. That’s the message I am getting.

Ben Brown has scored a lot of goals. I don’t know whether he is worth the effort..Damian Barrett says we are no longer so keen. So yeah, mute point.

One thing I see about the small forward situation...when they are in they can look fantastic, when they are off, you wonder. We have some who are not even on sometimes.

Cordz2
Club Player

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 7:42am Would you buy a racehorse from that man. Has sold his soul, like plenty of others, to the gambling industry and with it credibility. Richmond knew they had been in a game. Looking at a stat is lazy commentary/theatre; boys tried but had trouble putting combination punches together. Clearance domination won it for Richmond - it was too good in that respect. I doubt Crawford in his prime would put Dusty down in a tackle so easier said than done. Were we ever going to win a street fight with Richmond? A lot of "expert" comments ignore the chicken/egg argument. Do you win because of tackling or do you have more tackles because you win. Last time I looked scoring was the thing that wins games and we had chances.
I can’t stand the gambling industry and their use of guilt free footballers to spruik making money from the most vulnerable with devastating social impact.
Ex AFL players - brownless, Brown, Thomas and others are unlistenable for me now.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The game doesn't have FF and CHF any more, there's forwards, there's backs, and there's mids, and they all roam all over the ground!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cordz2 wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 1:01pm
Yorkeys wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 7:42am Would you buy a racehorse from that man. Has sold his soul, like plenty of others, to the gambling industry and with it credibility. Richmond knew they had been in a game. Looking at a stat is lazy commentary/theatre; boys tried but had trouble putting combination punches together. Clearance domination won it for Richmond - it was too good in that respect. I doubt Crawford in his prime would put Dusty down in a tackle so easier said than done. Were we ever going to win a street fight with Richmond? A lot of "expert" comments ignore the chicken/egg argument. Do you win because of tackling or do you have more tackles because you win. Last time I looked scoring was the thing that wins games and we had chances.
I can’t stand the gambling industry and their use of guilt free footballers to spruik making money from the most vulnerable with devastating social impact.
Ex AFL players - brownless, Brown, Thomas and others are unlistenable for me now.
I agree with your comments.

Interestingly a guy who I never used to have much time for, but now do, refused to do gaming adds or accept sponsorship monies from those bloodsuckers.

In fact he used to be known as Harry Highpants , but he is a great role model.

George27
Club Player

As to where Max should play, I reckon we have the better ex-Hawk to guide us. Roughie was a terrific key forward, who played alongside another fairly handy player in Franklin. Wherever he reckons Max should play is fine by me. I doubt Buddy would have listened to Crawford’s views on key forward craft.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Max needs to work on his posture...says me, the posture expert. But he does seem hunched over and apologetic, whereas Lynch looks like a right prick.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 4:18pm Max needs to work on his posture...says me, the posture expert. But he does seem hunched over and apologetic, whereas Lynch looks like a right prick.
Great pick-up, i think you're right!
Hopefully he'll get a harder edge as he gets more experience.
He might get fed up with being bumped n pulled all the time and decide one day 'I BELONG in the big time and you get out of my way'

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Josh Battle
Club Player

saynta wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 2:27pm
I agree with your comments.

Interestingly a guy who I never used to have much time for, but now do, refused to do gaming adds or accept sponsorship monies from those bloodsuckers.

In fact he used to be known as Harry Highpants , but he is a great role model.
Lordo, Lloydy, the Velvet Sledgehammer

He admitted it on Footy Classified when Carro had her five q’s segment

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 12 Oct 2020 4:18pm Max needs to work on his posture...says me, the posture expert. But he does seem hunched over and apologetic, whereas Lynch looks like a right prick.
Max needs to start throwing his arms up when he is getting ministered off the ball in order to catch the attention of Umpires like all other forwards do.

Nee!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

This is either a healthy dose of being misguided or grand hyprocorsy.

If you feel that strongly about the gambling industry then you should not be watching AFL full stop.

One of the biggest earners for the AFL these days is online gambling via their commercial deals with online gambling compaines. It's been laughable to see the public once again be conned by clubs and the AFL by giving the facade they are doing something about pokies, yet their take-up of online gambling revenue makes the pokie revenue look like chump change.

If people really had an issue with gambling then they wouldn't just boycott the players who directly spruik online gambling, they would boycott the whole of the AFL who live off it.

And the recession isn't going to slow things down for the AFL and their reliance on gambling revenue, it will be grown exponetially over the next few years as this recession bights hard and
zillions of stimulus money is used on grog and gambling that will be swiftly directed back to the AFL and governments alike.

So let's not be half pregnant, you are either completely self righteous, or you are a pig in the muck and just enjoy it for all you can take during your very short stay on mother earth.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

^^^^
Great post but your text could be applied to society in general; anything else is just hypocrisy and virtue signalling.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

He still looked a bit like a giraffe this year. Perhaps when he becomes more physically solid he’ll develop that don’t f*** with me presence that great players have.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

back on footy, Craw could be right, FF may not be his postion, whilst Kingy's debut was encouraging he was a liability in front of goals in important games. His technical flaws as a FF may require he plays much higher up the ground, possible a ruck/chf.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 13 Oct 2020 8:08am ^^^^
Great post but your text could be applied to society in general; anything else is just hypocrisy and virtue signalling.
That's my point, you can't just take a self righteous stand against a couple of ex footballers making a bit of coin from the gambling industry, because if you feel that strongly about then you need ban yourself from a whole lot more in this world. I say grab as bigga slice as you can on the way through and enjoy it until it kills ya.

I just wish I could get more brown papper bag action.