The Caldwell conundrum

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Caldwell conundrum

SaintPav wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 3:11pm
saynta wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 10:29am
Zed wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:51pm He’s played 11 games in 2 years and he has managed to get an offer for a long term deal on good coin. More money and longer term than what we are offering we read.
On exposed form, we don’t know if he will be a gun or just making up the numbers.
Good luck to him, 90% of second year players in the comp would have done the same thing I reckon - and who knows when we go back to a COVID-19 free world with a normal AFL season. Easy decision really on his behalf. I bear him no grudge .

Going to be interesting to see how we manage salaries for King, Coff, Clarke, Paton and anyone else who has a break out year over the next year or 2. Can’t pay them all big bucks and Caldwell could have set an awkward precedent.

Going to be more fun watching Dodoro play this one out.
Would not surprise me at all if there is a late change of mind and we see Caldwell decide to stay at GWS or perhaps go to another club.
The drug cheats, read dildo, are only prepared to offer a future second round pick for Jye.. Tell 'em, f*** 'em GWS.
They offer the kid a long term deal on squillions and they throw that up as an offer.

It's just taking the piss isn't it?
That's Essendon's and DiDoDo's style. Most would start with something like that as an ambit claim but it's fair dinkum. Let's hope Merrit walks out next year, hopefully to us & we back end the contract just for their compo.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I saw my mate today who has been solid in years past with the club trade/draft crumbs he's let fall from table.

But he's being more cryptic and assholeish than normal.

I asked wazup.

He says a huge trade is being worked on...not confirmed but all hands on deck working hard to get it done.

I says Caldwell, he says he was never interested in Saints.
I say deGoey, he laughs.

I throw out Cameron, all 6 departing Giants, McDonald, Hogan, Brown....all no.

So I says, what position?
He tells me its not a midfielder.
Then says no more hints or guesses.

I feel that conversation was almost as limp as me sharing this post

I am hoping by constant drilling Ill get info.
Last year he gave me a gem and it came true. But said I couldn't repeat it or he'd never trust me.
I told my wife, she didnt give a fluff.

If you're on here spying on me you bastard, yes, I did squeal to the missus. Give me a morsel or Ill die you damn rooster.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 7:03pm I saw my mate today who has been solid in years past with the club trade/draft crumbs he's let fall from table.

I asked wazup.

He says a huge trade is being worked on...not confirmed but all hands on deck working hard to get it done.

I say deGoey, he laughs.

Last year he gave me a gem and it came true. But said I couldn't repeat it or he'd never trust me.

If you're on here spying on me you bastard, yes, I did squeal to the missus. Give me a morsel or Ill die you damn rooster.
So to me like he’s hinting at Bing

vacuous space
SS Life Member

For all the chest-beating, does Dodoro ever win any deals? I can't tell you all how often I've been thankful we 'lost' the Shiel negotiations (in the King year, no less). Shiel was a year off free agency and Essendon gave up two first round picks (one of which was Caldwell) and gave him huge money. He hasn't been anywhere near an elite mid for them and now they're scrambling to get one of the picks back. If I'm GWS, I'm gunning for that 2021 first and banking on Essendon being as awful as they look - especially with this year's mess of a draft.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
minneapolis
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 7:03pm I saw my mate today who has been solid in years past with the club trade/draft crumbs he's let fall from table.

I asked wazup.

I say deGoey, he laughs.

Hey there,

thanks for the morsel. A tasty tidbit.

If you promised to keep it secret then you have to no matter how hard it is - at least you would be able to say to us "there is a good chance that another deal is in the pipeline". That would be enough for me.

Keep up the good work.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
darylcowie
Club Player

Series of hamstring issues during draft year, sound familiar?

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
ace
Saintsational Legend

With Crouch coming there was no way St Kilda could pay way over the top for a second player.
One who is unproven.
And One who would then cost us at least our first round pick.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

[*]r
vacuous space wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 8:42pm For all the chest-beating, does Dodoro ever win any deals? I can't tell you all how often I've been thankful we 'lost' the Shiel negotiations (in the King year, no less). Shiel was a year off free agency and Essendon gave up two first round picks (one of which was Caldwell) and gave him huge money. He hasn't been anywhere near an elite mid for them and now they're scrambling to get one of the picks back. If I'm GWS, I'm gunning for that 2021 first and banking on Essendon being as awful as they look - especially with this year's mess of a draft.
If Dildo is serious about the future 2nd for Caldwell - I’d just refuse to deal with Essendon and young Jye can walk to Adelaide or North instead. Fvck Dildo. What a pumpkin.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

[*]r
vacuous space wrote: Fri 23 Oct 2020 8:42pm For all the chest-beating, does Dodoro ever win any deals? I can't tell you all how often I've been thankful we 'lost' the Shiel negotiations (in the King year, no less). Shiel was a year off free agency and Essendon gave up two first round picks (one of which was Caldwell) and gave him huge money. He hasn't been anywhere near an elite mid for them and now they're scrambling to get one of the picks back. If I'm GWS, I'm gunning for that 2021 first and banking on Essendon being as awful as they look - especially with this year's mess of a draft.
If Dildo is serious about the future 2nd for Caldwell - I’d just refuse to deal with Essendon and young Jye can walk to Adelaide or North instead. Fvck Dildo. What a pumpkin.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mind boggling that a second rounder is offered for a guy that initially went at #11, seemingly looks the good or at least not a dud pick after 2 seasons of development.

With that degree of game playing, I’d just refuse to deal with them

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The Injectors are bragging that they offered Caldwell less than the Saints did.

That he wants to go to the supplements factory because it's more of a destination club.

Judging on form, I suspect this is an outright lie.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 24 Oct 2020 4:22pmIf Dildo is serious about the future 2nd for Caldwell - I’d just refuse to deal with Essendon and young Jye can walk to Adelaide or North instead.
This is just par for the course with Dodoro, isn't it? Pre-trade is always the time when he talks a big game and pumps up the Bombers supporters. Then, towards the back of trade week, he'll cave, lose the trade, claim victory, and continue to be part of the furniture at Windy Hill. You don't walk away from dealing with him, you just wait him out.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Injectors now saying they have Dunkley agreeing to come for 5 years 700k.....
Dogs Ameet saying BS not happening be interesting to see if it happens
IF they got Dunkley and Caldwell that’s s9me serious trading
Also makes Caldwell look absolutely stupid if he thought going there was guaranteed midfield time......what a silly boy

“Yeah….nah””
1965 Saint
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Thu 22 Oct 2020 10:01pm To me it seems that if Caldwell has decided to go to Essendope, then it shows me that he is not the person we want at the Saints. If he has considered the disgusting behaviour, constant cheating and drug disgrace and still thinks this is a desirable club, then let him go to them.
Yes indeed. Essendope shouldn’t even be in the competition. Should have been deregistered and made to come back cap in hand after a multi year ban. F... Caldwell! Get Long to take him out at the next opportunity.

johnearljames
Club Player

Rumour on Big Footy and elsewhere saying Essendon got Caldwell's Dad a 6 figure salary sales job.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I asked wazup.

I say deGoey, he laughs.

Watched the Storm with me mate, asked about "the deal" , I threw out Grundy......got the "don't argue" look....pile driving my face into the carpet.
So from my lowly place I seek crumbs....he says, be patient....which is about as reassuring as my last post.

Forgive me lads for not pushing harder but the bastard has 3 beers on tap....on tap...in his house...beers....on tap... in the house.

Golfing next Saturday so stay tuned.

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

So the day after my 1st post with matey, he was chatting with me about trades; were talking about trades going on different clubs like Essendon & Geelong. Some of the stuff blew my mind hearing about how much goes into it, there's so many layers; there could be 20 conversations going on between parties before anyone even has the foggiest idea that the trade is possibly gonna happen; right down to weird things like in the negotiations which team or which manager, which player gets to leak the upcoming trade to the media and to which media outlet and deals are made even with media outlets. Anyway, pretty interesting.
I guess thats why a corporate bankers skills in negotiation and wheel greasing is handy.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Caldwell is gone.

On that kanga the return on investment could be quite limited.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
minneapolis
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:34pm So the day after my 1st post with matey, he was chatting with me about trades; were talking about trades going on different clubs like Essendon & Geelong. Some of the stuff blew my mind hearing about how much goes into it, there's so many layers; there could be 20 conversations going on between parties before anyone even has the foggiest idea that the trade is possibly gonna happen; right down to weird things like in the negotiations which team or which manager, which player gets to leak the upcoming trade to the media and to which media outlet and deals are made even with media outlets. Anyway, pretty interesting.
I guess thats why a corporate bankers skills in negotiation and wheel greasing is handy.
Thanks.

It just made me wonder how many hundreds of phone calls Gags made last year getting SIX trades done.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
damienc
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Mon 26 Oct 2020 9:23pm

I asked wazup.

I say deGoey, he laughs.

Watched the Storm with me mate, asked about "the deal" , I threw out Grundy......got the "don't argue" look....pile driving my face into the carpet.
So from my lowly place I seek crumbs....he says, be patient....which is about as reassuring as my last post.

Forgive me lads for not pushing harder but the bastard has 3 beers on tap....on tap...in his house...beers....on tap... in the house.

Golfing next Saturday so stay tuned.
Legend. :D :D

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 26 Oct 2020 8:24pm Rumour on Big Footy and elsewhere saying Essendon got Caldwell's Dad a 6 figure salary sales job.
Saw that Bomber Board member is SuperAmart owner??? Now Jys dad on 200k salesman role......
We needed to offer a caravan...
Just wish we knew someone at Seek.....surely they’d have a job to offer
Cameron’s wife now on super coin at Cotton Om in Geelong....
Caps a joke imo

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Oct 2020 10:28pm
johnearljames wrote: Mon 26 Oct 2020 8:24pm Rumour on Big Footy and elsewhere saying Essendon got Caldwell's Dad a 6 figure salary sales job.
Saw that Bomber Board member is SuperAmart owner??? Now Jys dad on 200k salesman role......
Caps a joke imo
The system is totally corrupted.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Wed 28 Oct 2020 7:22am
Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Oct 2020 10:28pm
Caps a joke imo
The system is totally corrupted.
Let's also now remember that Dylan Shiel flipped on Carltoon at the last minute after he magically got a property development mentorship from a wealthy Injectors benefactor - https://www.zerohanger.com/shiel-lands- ... job-28905/ What a fvcking crock.

johnearljames
Club Player

Some crooked s*** goes on out there.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com.au

"Daniher deal won't help Dons' Caldwell snag

An end-of-first round compensation pick for free agent Joe Daniher would not count as one of the two first-round picks Essendon must use over a rolling four-year period at the NAB AFL Draft.

The AFL sent a memo to clubs on Monday reiterating rules on trading future picks, with the Bombers and Hawks the only clubs ineligible to offload their first picks although they can apply for an exception.

The rule exists to stop clubs from trading themselves into long-term list pain by continually moving out top picks.

It means the Bombers, who will be one of the busiest clubs in the trade period, will not be allowed to trade their first pick (No.6 overall) this year or next year's future pick until they get another one in, likely meaning that a deal for Giant Jye Caldwell will have to wait. They are also pursuing contracted Bulldogs midfielder Josh Dunkley.

The free agency period opens on Friday as Brisbane prepares to land Daniher, who has exercised his free agency rights to head there.

The Bombers can match the offer and then push it to a trade deal, but the Lions are focused on securing him as a free agent.

Essendon's requirement to get moving on trades will see them be keen to strike a deal with Carlton on Adam Saad, while Orazio Fantasia has also settled on Port Adelaide as his preferred new home. -"