Draft night

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Draft night

There were only five key position players in the 2019 draft. Looks like 2019 to 2021 has a shortage of key position options

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 11:57pm I can understand the McLeod-Allison pick needing another tall forward, but where does Highmore fit into the side. We already have Wilkie, Coffield & Roberton to play the 3rd defender role, why recruit another?
Shifting sands.....

2 seasons left for Carlisle at best.

Coffield needs to be given a chance to run up through the mid, think Bont.

Wilkie becomes true kpp defender

Robbo may come good for another 2 seasons but I feel we may not see him much.

We need to take a chance on a like Sizemore to take place as 3rd defender.

diddley
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 7:48pm There were only five key position players in the 2019 draft. Looks like 2019 to 2021 has a shortage of key position options
I don’t know what you are referring to for this year.
6 of the first 10 picks were talls.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Wed 09 Dec 2020 9:31pm Best steal since Dal.
Any chance anyone has some footage of Allison playing?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 2:14pmAny chance anyone has some footage of Allison playing?
The official website ran about 20 seconds of footage during their draft coverage, which you can find in this tweet from the Unpluggered Podcast.

If you're really keen, all the NAB League games from 2019 are on youtube. Allison is listed as having played 10 games, but his game log only lists eight. I have youtube links to those:

Tasmania v Calder
Calder v Geelong
Calder v Bendigo
Murray v Calder
Calder v Dandenong
Bendigo v Calder
GWV v Calder
Elimination Final: Calder v Dandenong

I don't anticipate anybody will watch those. If anyone does, it looks like he's number 49. If that person happened to have amazing video editing skills and wanted to put together a highlights package, I'd do my best to watch it before it got copyright claimed.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks VS!

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

On an average word per minute rate Gill the Great must have taken 10 minutes to say out loud Pick 20 something, formally 21, Saint Kilda: Mathew Mcleod-Allison. That after pick #1 was a Ugle-Hagen and the draft order only having a vague relationship to where teams finished must have made for a stressful night for the great one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From heraldsun.com.au

"ST KILDA

26. MATTHEW ALLISON 194cm, 81kg, Calder Cannons

45. TOM HIGHMORE 192cm, 81kg, South Adelaide

The recruiter: Looking at their depth chart they definitely needed a key forward, so taking Matthew Allison really helps them. There weren’t many talls after the top 10, so to stay at pick 26 and take Allison made sense as a strategy. I think they deliberately took mature-age defender Tom Highmore (pick 45) right before Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane’s picks. Maybe they didn’t want potential finals combatants, particularly Geelong, getting a guy like Highmore who can come in and play straight away. The Cats took Nick Stevens, who is very similar as a third defender. The question is how much youth has St Kilda got now? It’s probably at a tipping point where they need to get back into a draft in the next two years. Even though Max King, Nick Coffield and Hunter Clark are really talented kids, they’re towards the older bracket now, so they’ve got to be mindful of that. You look at James Frawley, Paddy Ryder, Jake Carlisle, Jarryn Geary and Dan Hannebery, there’s going to be some big holes in the future if they don’t attack the draft.

footynut
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 11:06am From heraldsun.com.au

"ST KILDA

The recruiter: Looking at their depth chart they definitely needed a key forward, so taking Matthew Allison really helps them. There weren’t many talls after the top 10, so to stay at pick 26 and take Allison made sense as a strategy. I think they deliberately took mature-age defender Tom Highmore (pick 45) right before Hawthorn, Geelong and Brisbane’s picks. Maybe they didn’t want potential finals combatants, particularly Geelong, getting a guy like Highmore who can come in and play straight away. The Cats took Nick Stevens, who is very similar as a third defender. The question is how much youth has St Kilda got now? It’s probably at a tipping point where they need to get back into a draft in the next two years. Even though Max King, Nick Coffield and Hunter Clark are really talented kids, they’re towards the older bracket now, so they’ve got to be mindful of that. You look at James Frawley, Paddy Ryder, Jake Carlisle, Jarryn Geary and Dan Hannebery, there’s going to be some big holes in the future if they don’t attack the draft.
What the hell is the Herald Sun on about??? We are one of the youngest teams going around

SaintPelican66
Club Player

footynut wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 1:22pm

"ST KILDA

What the hell is the Herald Sun on about??? We are one of the youngest teams going around
Technically you are correct. We are one of the youngest teams going around. But did you know that we are now now the OLDEST LIST IN THE AFL? If you don't believe me then go and have a look at the stats.

footynut
Club Player

SaintPelican66 wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 1:36pm
footynut wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 1:22pm

"ST KILDA

Technically you are correct. We are one of the youngest teams going around. But did you know that we are now now the OLDEST LIST IN THE AFL? If you don't believe me then go and have a look at the stats.
Wow.... That's actually correct, well at least until we sign some rookies. Wouldn't be worried about it as I'm anticipating that we'll loose 4-5 of our oldest players next year

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

All 23 and under

Clark
Coffield
Gresham
King
Paton
Battle
Long
Bytel

Aged 24

Wilkie
Butler
Lonie
Steele
Howard

Aged 25

Jones
Marshall
Dunstan
Sinclair
Billings

All played senior football in 2020, and most of them (around 15) are locked in for their respective spots next year. I don't think there's any need to panic.

The salary cap will dictate a lot of our future actions, so going to the draft from hereon seems likely anyway.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

I think the most important thing next year is to clear out all the dead wood first. Then that will give us a chance to pick up another FA. Then we use whatever picks we have at the draft.

Players that should be moved on next year IMHO.....

Geary
Roberton
Kent

Recruit one FA Merrett and two from the draft.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Thu 10 Dec 2020 7:43pm Looking ahead to the 2021 Draft, the expected top 30 at this stage only contains one key forward and two key defenders. This year's draft was also thin on key position players. Could this be part of the consideration?
Where does this info come from?

How could anyone possibly predict the makeup of the top 30 given that there is a whole season to play and most of them didn’t play at all last year?

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"