Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Dec 2020 6:13am
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 8:57pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:57pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:31pm Interesting question and good hypothetical at this time of year.

Posters refer to Hannas at his best but that clearly was 4-5 years ago. Hannas is a bust recruitment and his payment clearly has cost us other potential recruits from an affordability perspective.

So Hill, Ryder, Howard etc wouldn’t have come without Hannebery? Show me some proof of this and I’ll subscribe to this semi popular opinion.

Hannas game against the Bulldogs was totally overrated IMO from watching the game live.

Hannas was an A grade gun at his peak, Seb a b grade good honest footballer. But Seb provides better value to the Saints than Dan.
Do you have any proof Hanners has clearly cost us other potential recruits? Which potential recruits and maybe give us a speculative guess at what his payment schedule over his first 4 years was? You seem pretty certain about this!
Bad wording on my behalf, No I don’t have any proof, my opinion but it is based on fair logic.

Do you think we could have got Treloar if Hannas was not contracted? My guess is we would have had a much better chance at Treloar.

We paid overs in the trade and overs in salary (even if he’s on $500k) for what was a Sydney salary dump of a broken down player well past his best.

He was an elite player between 2011 - 2016, but he’s well past it now and has been a bust of a trade.
I agree with Mr Burns.... of the Joffa variety

I was also thinking exactly the same re: Adam Treloar

We were desperate with the Hannas deal and we didn't properly assess ALL risks. The Hannas deal might have impacted our ability to gain the services of Caldwell and maybe other future young guns like Bing. The other possible hypotheticals might involve maybe the trade that occurred the year after with Hill, and whether we would have gone ahead and paid overs and mortgaged the farm had we not recruited Hannas who was such a disappointment.

Maybe the questions could be; What if Mr Richardson wasn't coach? Would another head coach have endorsed the trade?

What if Mr Lethlean wasn't head of the footy department? Would the trade have gone ahead?

Even Lethlean referred to the alleged 'party boy' reputation. Did the footy boss consult the medical staff and ask the question regarding possible effects on major muscle groups from long term cocaine use on an elite athlete and.... IF the possible scenario of Hannas alleged partying was perhaps true, whether the salary cost and the length of tenure was far too big a risk?

We know that Seb prepares his body well. The question we ALL would like to know is; What is Dan doing to ensure that he gets his 'body' right? What extras is he doing and what has he changed or 'eliminated' from his daily/weekly routine?
While the hypothetical about desperation in recruiting Hanners is fair, let's admit that Essendon appear just as desperate in their negotiations on Caldwell, who this far, has had a completely unproven potential and injury interrupted beginning to his very short career.
I dont think Hanners contract had anything to do with the decision not to pay overs for Caldwell.
Also, in regards to Bing, those circumstances were steered by the league and Bing, so we move on and consider the end of his current contract to make our move. The line of discussion about Hill and Hanners contracts is more fairytale than hypothetical. Bing wasnt available.....fullstop.
King, Bytel and Hanners were all risks. At that time it was considered that the rewards were greater than the risks. It looks like the risk on the 2 untried injured kids, may work out. I'd wait till the end of this year to close the books on Hanners. If he plays less than 15 games, I will concede.
Several contract decisions since 2017 have impacted our ability to pick up the contract of Treloar, the hypothetical that Hanners contract is to blame is heavily based on opinion rather than evidence.
Also, Treloar has had his own run of injuries, has publicly admitted to mental health issues and had a lengthy contract. Now he will be distanced from his partner and child for months on end, It is the Hanners risk all over again. So........ummmm.
I wouldn't want to delist either Hanners or Ross, this hypothetical is divisive and ridiculous. You can't just delist contracted players and not suffer consequences. Just ask Collingwood.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 13 Dec 2020 11:33am
ace wrote: Sat 12 Dec 2020 9:18pm When you are a bottom 6 club you need guys who keep the rest of the team honest by putting in effort week on week.
Ross is just such a player.
But if you aspire to be top 6 you need guys who are highly skilled as well.
St Kilda has recruited such players.

Once you make the top 6 you can forget about the draft.
The picks you get are too late.
They are not going to deliver guaranteed elite players.
You need to get elite free agents and trades.
But when you are a top 6 club there is no room for the guy who keeps the team honest, he belongs at a bottom 6 club.

Many of our clubs loyal servants will not be part of the next premiership team but they will have helped the club climb the ladder to become contenders.
Well said Ace, Simon Lethlean & Co have adopted precisely the approach you outline here and if Ryder, Carlisle, and Long had been available in the semi against Richmond could well have finished higher than 6th this year.
Throw Gresham in too, and we would've really given it a shake.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 13 Dec 2020 1:22pm
Joffa Burns wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 7:31pm Interesting question and good hypothetical at this time of year.

Posters refer to Hannas at his best but that clearly was 4-5 years ago. Hannas is a bust recruitment and his payment clearly has cost us other potential recruits from an affordability perspective.

So Hill, Ryder, Howard etc wouldn’t have come without Hannebery? Show me some proof of this and I’ll subscribe to this semi popular opinion.

Hannas game against the Bulldogs was totally overrated IMO from watching the game live.

Hannas was an A grade gun at his peak, Seb a b grade good honest footballer. But Seb provides better value to the Saints than Dan.
Do you have any proof Hanners has clearly cost us other potential recruits? Which potential recruits and maybe give us a speculative guess at what his payment schedule over his first 4 years was? You seem pretty certain about this!
Bad wording on my behalf, No I don’t have any proof, my opinion but it is based on fair logic.

Do you think we could have got Treloar if Hannas was not contracted? My guess is we would have had a much better chance at Treloar.

We paid overs in the trade and overs in salary (even if he’s on $500k) for what was a Sydney salary dump of a broken down player well past his best.

He was an elite player between 2011 - 2016, but he’s well past it now and has been a bust of a trade.

We were desperate with the Hannas deal and we didn't properly assess ALL risks. The Hannas deal might have impacted our ability to gain the services of Caldwell and maybe other future young guns like Bing. The other possible hypotheticals might involve maybe the trade that occurred the year after with Hill, and whether we would have gone ahead and paid overs and mortgaged the farm had we not recruited Hannas who was such a disappointment.

Maybe the questions could be; What if Mr Richardson wasn't coach? Would another head coach have endorsed the trade?

What if Mr Lethlean wasn't head of the footy department? Would the trade have gone ahead?

Even Lethlean referred to the alleged 'party boy' reputation. Did the footy boss consult the medical staff and ask the question regarding possible effects on major muscle groups from long term cocaine use on an elite athlete and.... IF the possible scenario of Hannas alleged partying was perhaps true, whether the salary cost and the length of tenure was far too big a risk?

We know that Seb prepares his body well. The question we ALL would like to know is; What is Dan doing to ensure that he gets his 'body' right? What extras is he doing and what has he changed or 'eliminated' from his daily/weekly routine?
While the hypothetical about desperation in recruiting Hanners is fair, let's admit that Essendon appear just as desperate in their negotiations on Caldwell, who this far, has had a completely unproven potential and injury interrupted beginning to his very short career.
I dont think Hanners contract had anything to do with the decision not to pay overs for Caldwell.
Also, in regards to Bing, those circumstances were steered by the league and Bing, so we move on and consider the end of his current contract to make our move. The line of discussion about Hill and Hanners contracts is more fairytale than hypothetical. Bing wasnt available.....fullstop.
King, Bytel and Hanners were all risks. At that time it was considered that the rewards were greater than the risks. It looks like the risk on the 2 untried injured kids, may work out. I'd wait till the end of this year to close the books on Hanners. If he plays less than 15 games, I will concede.
Several contract decisions since 2017 have impacted our ability to pick up the contract of Treloar, the hypothetical that Hanners contract is to blame is heavily based on opinion rather than evidence.
Also, Treloar has had his own run of injuries, has publicly admitted to mental health issues and had a lengthy contract. Now he will be distanced from his partner and child for months on end, It is the Hanners risk all over again. So........ummmm.
I wouldn't want to delist either Hanners or Ross, this hypothetical is divisive and ridiculous. You can't just delist contracted players and not suffer consequences. Just ask Collingwood.
I don't believe that the club ever had anything more than a passing interest in Treloar

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

True but wouldn’t be heartbroken if DH did what Tom Boyd did!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Good response.

I noticed that no one is commenting on Hannas current training regime or the questions raised re his 'body' and the reasons for recurrence of soft tissue injuries. Maybe safer not to comment publicly I gather

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Dan’s contract was heavily front ended when we were paying basically no one else.

You can’t use Treloar because, even if the Pies paid more than the majority of his salary ... we were never going to trade our 1st rd pick for him (we wanted to keep that at all costs and it was Collinwood’s only non-negotiable in punting Adam).

Go you red, black & white warriors
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 13 Dec 2020 11:48pm

Good response.

I noticed that no one is commenting on Hannas current training regime or the questions raised re his 'body' and the reasons for recurrence of soft tissue injuries. Maybe safer not to comment publicly I gather
The scepticism around Hannerbery's ability to perform consistently at a premium level is completely warranted.
I'd subscribe to a decision to play him under less pressure to meet AFL standard at Sandy for a month and continue with Clark's development in the midfield and give Bytel a month on the bench, now that we have Crouch.
I'd give Hannerbery an outside mid/forward rotation, because if he can regain fitness, you know he can play.
Moreso, I'd like to see what Bytel and Clark can achieve.
Further, Geary, Robbo, Chips and Kent at Sandy would certainly bolster the development of Alabakis, Connelly, Byrnes, Allison and Highmore.
Its clear that the football department intend to look to Coffield, Clark, Paton, Long and Battle to take up the role of leaders in our improvement towards being a top 4 Challenger.
I believe Marshall, Gresham, Wilkie and Steele are ready to lead the best 22.
Bytel and Byrnes seem most likely to join our midfield next.
If Hannerbery and Geary achieve solid form after a month, it is a win/win scenario.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think recovery/fatigue is the issue for Hannebery

See how he came back in the last round... had the designated week off that comes with finals... the club specifically stated that it had done him the world of good with his prep and then blitzed it in the first final until the impact injury

IMO he needs more regular breaks... say every 3 games have the week off to recover

With these soft tissue injuries... fatigue and lack of recovery is the biggest killer

Sanctorum
Club Player

There is no reason why Hannebery should not regain full match fitness by the start of Round 1, and play a full season without the need for a break.

Plenty of top players over the years that have suffered serious hamstring and allied injuries have been able to make complete recoveries and I am quite confident that the club medicos and fitness staff will have him do things that will ensure he is not at risk of further injuries, barring those that result from on-field collisions.

In regard to the topic, apart from anything else, the things that Dan has over Seb Ross are his great leadership skills and experience in marquee games, which will be really important if the team is going to go all the way. This was after all one of the main reasons the club brought him over from the Swans!

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 4:17pm
Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 3:06pm
saynta wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:25am
Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:05am Hannebery. No question. He's in our top 10 players. Ross isn't in our top 20.
Is that so? Guess who cane tenth in the Trevor Barker award this year,

It wasn't Hannas. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Interesting way to look at it. Jade Gresham wasn't top ten in the B&F either. Wonder why?

Nick Riewoldt didn't finish top 10 in 2010.
Robert Harvey didn't finish top 10 in 2001 or 2002.
Lenny Hayes didn't finish top 10 in 2011.

But I guess these guys were in our top ten players given their B&F position...

Luke Delaney 5th in 2014.
Mav Weller 7th in 2016.
Shane Savage 10th in 2019.

Like I said, interesting way to look at it.
Gresham was injured, no "wonder" about it at all. :roll:

Nick, Banger and Lenny were all past their best or possibly used by dates in the years specified.

Luke, Mav and especially Shane had good years.

Nice to see my post generated so much work trying to shoot me down. Big fail imhfo.
Despite supporting the same club, we obviously see things very differently. There's no problem with that, but stating Riewoldt was past his best in 2010 is laughable. Not to mention Banger was All Australian in 2003 and Lenny B&F in 2012. Not quite "used by" at that point.

It's hard to compare players based on B&F results if the players in question don't both play a full season.

If Hannbery plays 18+ games in 2021, I doubt Ross will.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 11:45am
Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:05am Hannebery. No question. He's in our top 10 players. Ross isn't in our top 20.

Interesting way to look at it. Jade Gresham wasn't top ten in the B&F either. Wonder why?

Mav Weller 7th in 2016.

Nick, Banger and Lenny were all past their best or possibly used by dates in the years specified.

Nice to see my post generated so much work trying to shoot me down. Big fail imhfo.
Despite supporting the same club, we obviously see things very differently. There's no problem with that, but stating Riewoldt was past his best in 2010 is laughable. Not to mention Banger was All Australian in 2003 and Lenny B&F in 2012. Not quite "used by" at that point.

It's hard to compare players based on B&F results if the players in question don't both play a full season.

I am prepared to bet that Seb will play more games than Hanners in 2021.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 12:18pm
Beno88 wrote: Fri 11 Dec 2020 11:05am Hannebery......in our top 10 players. Ross isn't...top 20.
Is that so?
.....interesting....
Nice to see my post generated so much work .....

I doubt Hanners will be good for 18 for more than one season. Maybe 2021, will be it? As he ages and loses speed, perhaps his hammies will relax?

Ross circa 2016/7 was kinda like Hanners half a decade earlier for Sydney in terms of value to the team. But we were bottom of the barrel.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 10:56am There is no reason why Hannebery should not regain full match fitness by the start of Round 1, and play a full season without the need for a break.

Plenty of top players over the years that have suffered serious hamstring and allied injuries have been able to make complete recoveries and I am quite confident that the club medicos and fitness staff will have him do things that will ensure he is not at risk of further injuries, barring those that result from on-field collisions.

In regard to the topic, apart from anything else, the things that Dan has over Seb Ross are his great leadership skills and experience in marquee games, which will be really important if the team is going to go all the way. This was after all one of the main reasons the club brought him over from the Swans!
I think there's a difference between 'serious' injuries and 'chronic' injuries.

How many years now have both Sydney and St Kilda been trying to get DH right? 3? 4?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 12:18pm

Mav Weller 7th in 2016.

I think your bet is very safe I would go as far to say I reckon he will double the amount of games Dan plays & I'm not a betting man :wink:

Sanctorum
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 1:09pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 10:56am There is no reason why Hannebery should not regain full match fitness by the start of Round 1, and play a full season without the need for a break.

How many years now have both Sydney and St Kilda been trying to get DH right? 3? 4?
That's overly negative Dud, Hannebery was injured late 2018, having played 15 games for the Swans that year - prior to 2018 he missed very few if any games.

He came to St Kilda in 2019 with a chronic hamstring injury that took forever to come good which is not unusual for that type of injury, thus only played 13 games in 2 years.

I'm banking on him getting his body right and play a full season in 2021, time will tell if my optimism is misfound.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 10:57am

That's overly negative Dud, Hannebery was injured late 2018, having played 15 games for the Swans that year - prior to 2018 he missed very few if any games.

He came to St Kilda in 2019 with a chronic hamstring injury that took forever to come good which is not unusual for that type of injury, thus only played 13 games in 2 years.

I'm banking on him getting his body right and play a full season in 2021, time will tell if my optimism is misfound.
Not nearly as optimistic but I hope you’re right. If Hanners alone gets close to remotely being the player he was...
We’re easily top 4

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

A retort to those posters who doubt that the signing of Hannebury helped to make our club look to be more of a serious contender, and thereby helped to attract some other quality players.

I don't think you fully appreciate just how much of a basket case our club was perceived to be within the AFL world after: the embarrassing circumstances of Lyon's departure, the coaching disaster that was Scott Watters, Pelchen letting stars like Goddard and Dal Santo go for bugger all in return, the waste of a number one draft pick on McCartin, and our consistently poor onfield performance. And to top it all, we had stashed away a lot of money in the bank to spend on a recruiting drive, only to have the AFL completely undermine our taking by making salary cap increases that enabled most clubs to hang onto their promising stars.

Serious conversations were had in high places about the ongoing viability of our club, and the possibility of a relocation or even (gulp) merger. We were also at serious risk of losing some of our younger talent such as Billings.

The first really big step were were able to make out of the maelstrom was when we decided to replace the departing Bains with Lethlean at the end of 2017. But this wasn't obvious to anyone at the time, so it didn't help our reputation to any great extent.

The recruitment of Hannebury at the end of 2018 was a more obvious forward step, and then the replacement of Richo by Ratten at the end of 2019 was a giant stride forward, soon followed by the recruitment of five quality players from other clubs.

Sure, Hannebury hasn't that much influence on field, and the extent of his off field input has probably been overestimated by many. But his recruitment in 2018 made a statement to the AFL world that our club wasn't going to go quietly into that good night. He was the first established A-grade player to join our club since the disaster with Lovett. Anyone who has worked in business will appreciate the important message sent by these types of recruitments by companies that are going through a bad patch. It was a very shrewd move IMO.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

His body was shot his last two years at Sydney, and that’s straight from Dan’s/the Club’s mouth.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 1:22pm A retort to those posters who doubt that the signing of Hannebury helped to make our club look to be more of a serious contender, and thereby helped to attract some other quality players.

I don't think you fully appreciate just how much of a basket case our club was perceived to be within the AFL world after: the embarrassing circumstances of Lyon's departure, the coaching disaster that was Scott Watters, Pelchen letting stars like Goddard and Dal Santo go for bugger all in return, the waste of a number one draft pick on McCartin, and our consistently poor onfield performance. And to top it all, we had stashed away a lot of money in the bank to spend on a recruiting drive, only to have the AFL completely undermine our taking by making salary cap increases that enabled most clubs to hang onto their promising stars.

Serious conversations were had in high places about the ongoing viability of our club, and the possibility of a relocation or even (gulp) merger. We were also at serious risk of losing some of our younger talent such as Billings.

The first really big step were were able to make out of the maelstrom was when we decided to replace the departing Bains with Lethlean at the end of 2017. But this wasn't obvious to anyone at the time, so it didn't help our reputation to any great extent.

The recruitment of Hannebury at the end of 2018 was a more obvious forward step, and then the replacement of Richo by Ratten at the end of 2019 was a giant stride forward, soon followed by the recruitment of five quality players from other clubs.

Sure, Hannebury hasn't that much influence on field, and the extent of his off field input has probably been overestimated by many. But his recruitment in 2018 made a statement to the AFL world that our club wasn't going to go quietly into that good night. He was the first established A-grade player to join our club since the disaster with Lovett. Anyone who has worked in business will appreciate the important message sent by these types of recruitments by companies that are going through a bad patch. It was a very shrewd move IMO.
I would disagree. I doubt paying massive overs for a past-his-prime injury-prone player that no one else wanted does much to gain the Club credibility.

Carlisle was an A-grade player who chose us over rival offers.

The only thing the DH deal would have done to bring more players to the club is show them that we’re overly generous with our offers, which I’m sure is very appealing.

Off field appointments like you’ve noted above, plus the likes of Ratts, Slater, Roughie etc would have done infinitely more to attract players than DH.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 6:15pm

His body was shot his last two years at Sydney, and that’s straight from Dan’s/the Club’s mouth.
They said he was shot did they? Do you have a link?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I do remember the club admitting his body was worse than they understood but had faith they could get it right. That said, I'm not sure a link is required to question his performance and body failings since his injury in the 2016 Grand Final. If it's not becoming chronic it is certainly unfortunate and bad timing for Dan & the Club. Fingers crossed it is bad timing - Dan at his best is better than Seb at his best.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 8:12pm I do remember the club admitting his body was worse than they understood but had faith they could get it right. That said, I'm not sure a link is required to question his performance and body failings since his injury in the 2016 Grand Final. If it's not becoming chronic it is certainly unfortunate and bad timing for Dan & the Club. Fingers crossed it is bad timing - Dan at his best is better than Seb at his best.
Probably needs to avoid his sister's staircase too! :oops:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 7:42pm

"He's had a couple of years, particularly last year (2018) where he's been a little bit banged up, but we're really confident we're going to get the best of Dan.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/afl ... 7yj3z3u5m8

That’s after only a couple of minutes on Google. At the time I remember quotes about how he was barely able to train his last year or two at Sydney.

So after two years let’s just say I’m beginning to question Richo’s confidence...

saintbob
SS Life Member

HANNEBERY

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 9:37pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 7:42pm

"He's had a couple of years, particularly last year (2018) where he's been a little bit banged up, but we're really confident we're going to get the best of Dan.”

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/afl ... 7yj3z3u5m8

That’s after only a couple of minutes on Google. At the time I remember quotes about how he was barely able to train his last year or two at Sydney.

So after two years let’s just say I’m beginning to question Richo’s confidence...
Thank for the link. Its a beauty.

(He) couldn't have been more impressive so far," Richardson told the club’s annual general meeting on Tuesday night.

"He's a real leader, he's quite an inspirational person."

He got a little banged up for sure. Admission he was shot, not so sure. Tightness that scans can't explain and scar tissue that was been removed just in time for him to impact in our first final in almost a decade. Let's wait one more year and see. We are at the critical point of a miraculous turnaround since he joined the club. Im staying mildly excited.