The Seb Ross discussions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Seb Ross discussions

skeptic wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 6:54pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 6:25pm Can Dunstan improve his endurance and thus play 4 quarters of football and thus imrove his standing and value?
I certainly hope so but this has been an identifiable measure of improvement for at least 3-4 years now.

Personally I’m not optimistic at this point

In terms of what’s held him back... I’m not sure. Am hopeful that’s it been effort in training because that means there’s a lot of potential for improvement quickly.
If he’s an elite trainer already... pbly means he’s done
Yeah tend to agree he probably is up against it. Does anyone on here know if he is a committed individual at training.

It would seem if he can find a way to get his endurance up and play four quarters he could probably improve his output.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Said since he was drafted and again after watching him beat home Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce and well behind ALL other players in a 3k time trial, that he has a serious issue with endurance. I could’ve outrun Billy at the time and I was over 40!

All other mids were a mile in front of him, and he was running in quick sand.

I believe he is a hard trainer, but you can only go as hard as your body allows you!
He looks in ripping nick, is ripped without his shirt on, and his legs are huge. But unfortunately for him, he has low endurance and is slow!
A beast like Petracca has some struggles with endurance but is a phenomenal power athlete.

Having said that, CP did improve his running capacity last season.
I think Luke Is a bit more like Armo. And in 2014 Armo shed the kilos and changed his body shape a bit and reaped the rewards in 2015.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 7:25pm Said since he was drafted and again after watching him beat home Billy Longer and Lewis Pierce and well behind ALL other players in a 3k time trial, that he has a serious issue with endurance. I could’ve outrun Billy at the time and I was over 40!

All other mids were a mile in front of him, and he was running in quick sand.

I believe he is a hard trainer, but you can only go as hard as your body allows you!
He looks in ripping nick, is ripped without his shirt on, and his legs are huge. But unfortunately for him, he has low endurance and is slow!
A beast like Petracca has some struggles with endurance but is a phenomenal power athlete.

Having said that, CP did improve his running capacity last season.
I think Luke Is a bit more like Armo. And in 2014 Armo shed the kilos and changed his body shape a bit and reaped the rewards in 2015.
It can be done and if shedding kegs and building endurance isn't one Dunny's main focuses over summer I'd be surprised.

To the top
SS Life Member

Steele was the one challenged by the Coach

And Steele responded

We introduced Hill and Jones

Plus we introduced Butler, making Gresham a mid option

Now we have Crouch

And we are talking to Clark receiving midfield opportunity

So, right there, you could be excused for suggesting that Ross has been pushed down 6 spots

Will Higgins make that 7?

Will either Bytel or Byrnes (or both) make that 7 or more?

Then you look at Hannebery given an injury free season

And you see why positions in our midfield is a subject of conversation - and a good conversation

It is going to be down to what is bought to Brett’s team - and I say Brett’s team for a reason

It was Steele who was asked the question by Brett

“Instead of you chasing them, you are good enough to have them chasing you so show us what you can do”

Who is being asked such specific questions right now?

Hunter Clark?

Seb Ross?

That is where we are at with this Coach, his support troops and his player List

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 6:56pm Joffa

The biggest decision was the ruck
Spider played just the 3 seasons in the 2000s and missed most of the 2002 season and a chunk of the 2000 season. Rowan has had 1 good season as a Ruck and one as a fwd/ruck (I had him competing with Kosi). Went with Gardiner/Kosi but not confidently

Frankies best footy 94-98 was behind him by the turn of the century and he was just a solid citizen after that

Found the Membrey over Hamill quite an easy decision
Membrey is a 3 time leading goalkicker and has played as the no 1 forward for a few years. Hamill was a battering ram and at his best and injury free was a beast. Injury obviously curtailed him! But Membrey has him covered for output.

Thompson career wise perhaps ahead of Ross, maybe not. Remember he played 3 pretty good seasons in the 90s. After 2003 Thompson was a fringe player for three seasons.
Won a B&F in 2000 but if Seb gets criticised for winning B&Fs in 11 & 9 game winning seasons and being the best in a poor team
Thompson won his sole B&F in a wooden spoon season where we won 2 games.

I think
Gilbert, Blake, Jones and Voss are the unlucky ones.
All played a LOT. Of good footy
Thompson walked into the AFL @ 24 ready made in 97 and played 24 games with a team who should have won the Grand final. He was very consistent and one of the first picked until 2005. He played 221 games in 11 season with 2 season reduced heavily due to injury.
In 2004 - 2006 he played 24, 22 and 17 games, not bad for a fringe player.
In his latter years, after 2003, when we were developing young draft picks and rising, he took run-with roles and played out of defence, so his output decreased but his value to the team, improving and beginning to compete in finals again, was immense.
He was tireless, fearless, quick and highly skilled. He often kicked out from goal and hit the forwards of the wing with unwavering accuracy. He was an exceptional mark for his size. He also kicked 93 of his own goals.
In 06, Ross Lyon kept him on on a one year gig. He played 17 games and got an extension. In 2007, at 34, injury took its toll and he retired after 10 games.

Seb out, Thompson in. No comparison imho.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wasn’t the question about since the start of the 2000s
90s not really a factor

As I said, fringe player after 2003

He played mainly off the bench as Harvey, Hayes, Baker, Powell and Ball started

What was Sebs criticism about his B&Fs again? In a poor side??
20 wins in the 44 games over those two years

Andrew Thompson’s was in a wooden spoon season that saw 2 wins?!

Andrew was probably a B grade player at his best, not quite at that level post 2003.
Just to compare
Andrew Thompson averaged 17 ppg over his career
Seb Ross averages 24ppg so far in his career

Not sure Andrew was a silky player with elite skills either?
He was a good player, no doubt.

But you have your opinion and that’s fine... it’s just that the facts don’t support you.

Jack Higgins - a better mid than Seb?!
He’s never even played there? He may get some minutes there and that might increase over the next few years.

Not sure what Seb has done to be so hated by supporters
Was it winning the 2019 best and fairest? Not sure it is his fault all the coaches voted for him?
Is he a symbol of the AR years as he was a leading player then, and we so desperately want to move past that period?
Is it just a whipping boy thing, where supporters need to be able to blame a player for losses?

He did some outstanding things last season in the finals
And it cannot be acknowledged.

When the bias is so strong supporters cannot see anything positive from a player, and see only the negatives... it’s bizarre?
Every player makes mistakes, it’s a ballistic game.
Rowan Marshall, or Max King could kick a goal for opposition and it’d ok
But if Jack Lonie, Seb Ross, Jarryn Geary or even Jack Billings makes a mistake... they need to be delisted or traded there and then!

I suppose we all have our favourites

And for some, nothing is going to change their mind!!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

To the top

You seemed to have pushed Seb out of the midfield?

Let’s see if the coaches do

My bet is that Seb will be starting in the centre square (with Steele and Zac) in Round 1
In R3 Seb will be a part of the rotations with Crouch starting.
If Brett wants a run with, Seb will still start.

Also part of the centre square rotations will be
Hannebery, Gresham and Clark

Let’s wait and see who’s right?!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Of course that’s injury permitting

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 6:36pm Ross is a better kick than Dunstan marginally

What he is a lot better at

Winning the footy (pretty important for a mid)
Spreading from the contest
Defending (Seb has shown the ability to run with)

The reason they don’t get the ‘same’ opportunities is that Seb is a far better player! Anyone would know this!

Would you like me to do a player comparison?
Better kick? Hmmm not sure.

Spreading from the contest?

Maybe he’s better at ‘winning the footy’ because he’s given more opportunity to?

Seb might be the better tagger, often a job given to less skilled mids or those on the way out.

Dunstan has also kicked twice as many goals in 40 less games. Ross’ inability to hurt the opposition on the scoreboard is a major factor preventing him from being a very good mid.

Still don’t see too much difference between them on field, maybe it’s off field that’s holding Dunstan back?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

And why has he been given more opportunity?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 8:47pm Wasn’t the question about since the start of the 2000s
90s not really a factor

As I said, fringe player after 2003

He played mainly off the bench as Harvey, Hayes, Baker, Powell and Ball started

What was Sebs criticism about his B&Fs again? In a poor side??
20 wins in the 44 games over those two years

Andrew Thompson’s was in a wooden spoon season that saw 2 wins?!

Andrew was probably a B grade player at his best, not quite at that level post 2003.
Just to compare
Andrew Thompson averaged 17 ppg over his career
Seb Ross averages 24ppg so far in his career

Not sure Andrew was a silky player with elite skills either?
He was a good player, no doubt.

But you have your opinion and that’s fine... it’s just that the facts don’t support you.

Jack Higgins - a better mid than Seb?!
He’s never even played there? He may get some minutes there and that might increase over the next few years.

Not sure what Seb has done to be so hated by supporters
Was it winning the 2019 best and fairest? Not sure it is his fault all the coaches voted for him?
Is he a symbol of the AR years as he was a leading player then, and we so desperately want to move past that period?
Is it just a whipping boy thing, where supporters need to be able to blame a player for losses?

He did some outstanding things last season in the finals
And it cannot be acknowledged.

When the bias is so strong supporters cannot see anything positive from a player, and see only the negatives... it’s bizarre?
Every player makes mistakes, it’s a ballistic game.
Rowan Marshall, or Max King could kick a goal for opposition and it’d ok
But if Jack Lonie, Seb Ross, Jarryn Geary or even Jack Billings makes a mistake... they need to be delisted or traded there and then!

I suppose we all have our favourites

And for some, nothing is going to change their mind!!!
I know you don't quote but you might want to highlight what you call facts.
Playing off the bench, by 2003, wasnt exactly what you would describe as a fringe player. Most players were rotating off the bench and still do. Being regularly omitted is what makes you a fringe player.
The facts (the amount of games he played each season) say he was rarely dropped from 2000 to 2006 playing 144 games from 28-34 yrs of age averaging 16 possession a game.
Seb turns 28 this year, his career possessions average is 23.4, from 12- 15 he averaged 16, 16-19 he averaged 30 and last year he averaged 17. He did play a couple of really good games last year but no 40 possession under 14's stuff.
He has clearly benefited from a good coach in Ratten, great stats analysis by DOS and a directed change in the way he gathers and disposes of the ball by a renowned game strategist and coaches coach, David Rath.
I dont hate Seb Ross. He is still best 22, just. But we need to upgrade on him as our fifth best mid so we can improve. His impressive years from 16-19, clearly didn't impress Ratten or Rath or DOS, it must have had something to do with his hit and miss disposal. He is not as good as Steele as a go forward or run with mid, he is not in and under, he doesn't take great marks and doesn't kick goals very often.
They changed his 30 possession game to something more accountable and much more productive, which resulted in 17 decent disposals without the 13 hit and hope ones, that dont benefit the game plan. He also cares where his opponent is now.
Hopefully he can do that successfully for the next 7 years like Thompson did from 2000-07 at the same age and become a fringe player, if that's what you call it.
Time will tell but I doubt he will hold Clark out of the midfield for long and I'm confident Clark is a much better footballer who will require someone to run with him.
Seb never got a lot of attention as a 30 possession mid. Ask yourself why. Around the same time, Geary was getting big numbers linking out of defence and Newnes was running endless repeat 40's racking up bruise free touches too.
Run-with roles. Maybe Brisbane could use the same strategy with Lachie Neale or maybe Dusty could develop a run-with game. This could be the next big thing for Club Champions.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 9:12pm And why has he been given more opportunity?
Probably the same reason Acres was played in the ruck for years, or why Marshall was seen as 4th string at the start of 2019, or why Ball wasn’t on the ground in the last quarter of the 09 GF...

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Acres played in the ruck for years? That happen did it??
Or did he attend the occasional ruck contest in a few games as a makeshift 2nd ruckman - like Shaun Grigg did at Richmond?
Acres played 80% of games on the Wing (where he currently plays at Freo) 10% fwd 5% midfield and at best 5% in the ruck.

Marshall probably didn’t start in R1 in the ruck because he was comprehensively beaten by Pierce in the intra club and Pierce did OK in the pre season games - Marshall was seen as more a developing forward ruckman. Lewis had just come off a VFL best and fairest in his 5th year and was seen as ready. Marshall starting just his third year and still learning his craft. Few people. expected the rapid growth of Rowan. If you did see him at Sandy, it was obvious he had talent though, but to this extent - it surprised.

Ball
Lyon did not rate him - that simple.

Now back to Seb Ross
You still haven’t explained how a dud made the AA squad of 40 and won a B&F polled 14 Brownlow votes with multiple BOGs and averaged 30 disposals in 2017???
How did that happen????

I’m curious

Then the dud backed it up with a runner up and a win the following two years???

Also
How was our worst midfielder, our best player vs Richmond in the final last season
Or why did Ratten entrust the match up with Bontempelli the week prior to a dud???

All of this, when clearly it should have been Dunstan?
Who has played reserves footy every year for the last 5 years?

When’s the last time Seb played twos??

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Geary getting big numbers?
Has there ever been a better definition of a lock down defender?!

Was Seb allowed to run around with no attention by the opposition when he was getting BOGs

And how the hell did he get multiple BOGs (out of 44 AFL players on the ground being named the best) if he is so ineffective?
How did he win B&Fs if he is so ineffective?

In the word of Pauline Hanson.... “please explain?”

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 12:28am Geary getting big numbers?

Was Seb allowed to run around with no attention by the opposition when he was getting BOGs

And how the hell did he get multiple BOGs (out of 44 AFL players on the ground being named the best) if he is so ineffective?

The decision makers at the club were completely inept.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 12:46am

The decision makers at the club were completely inept.
Totally agree. It's been a series of stuff ups with poor recruitment and poor development under Lyon;

Plus the salary cap issues that forced Dal Santo and BJ Goddard out and we had too much faith in a pelican;

Missed opportunities with recruiting a big fish in the era of free agency due to the the club being scared of hiring Mark Williams

I believe many good players would have jumped at the chance to play under Chocco. Richo just couldn't sell himself or the club.

Also; De Geoy/ Brayshaw and Petracca on offer when we had first pick in the National Draft and we blew it on a diabetic with serious fitness concerns

...we didn't want headlines in the media like that rabble of a club Richmond. We chose not to recruit Dustin Martin

We chose quality kids with good character.... and neat and tidy bedrooms

On the bright side, I'm rapt with our current footy department and our senior coach

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Geary, in 2018, started to get huge numbers, running the ball out of defence. Check the stats. Now check his career stats against teams where we required him to shut down the best small forward. There is a noticeable difference. This role is no longer his either.
Geary ran around the backline unaccounted on rebound in 2018. The opposition loved the ball in his hands because he had two tricks, long down the line or short across the field. Neither are very reliable and are highly predictable. Like an unconscious pattern of behaviour. But only unconscious to our team, who have a plan and not to the opposition, who also have a plan.
Fantastic lockdown defender, so diverting the conversation won't work BM.

Yes, Seb wasn't usually tagged, why, because he didn't run forward or do anything very damaging with the ball.
He ran backwards and swept off half back, he hung off congestion at the stoppages and broke with a strong burst, the congestion was caused by Dunstan and Steele grappling guys. He ran away from his opponents, got back and became part of a rebound system that became effective because.....well, the ball just kept coming back. It was like a pinball machine and his dreamteam, f****** fantasy stats were unbelievable. Completely unbelievable.
Uncle Tim and big Bruce at Channel AFL started salivating about how good he was becoming and all of a sudden he is headed for the AFL Hall of Fame.
Nevertheless, my great aunt could predict that when Seb got the ball he would stop, feint a pass, back track, turn to his left and boot the ball in the air as far as he could.
If he couldn't find the space to do that, he would rocket a handpass in any direction, so as not to get pinned, with little regard as to where it was going.
If he had a clear path, he would quite often over kick his short passes. Forwards love that.
He did this with nearly half of the possessions he got and in a 4 year period, he got heaps.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen him play about 15 outstanding games. He probably polled Brownlow votes in them all, but for the most part he frustrated the s*** out of me because he averaged 30 possession for 90 games but I can't remember him winning us too many. The guys he was flogging in the B&F votes nearly all gone and the new batch were selected because they are better than him. Thats pretty bloody clear.
In what looks, statistically at least, like a triple brownlow effort between 2016 and 2019 he won 3 brownlow votes only 7 times. You've made my argument easier bringing up the brownlow.
He is a B grader. He went from 16 disposals a game to 30 in one year and sustained it for 4 years, then got told to slow down, lower his eyes and be accountable for an opponent. Now, it looks like he might end up being a ....what did you call it..... a fringe player.
Not on $700k he won't. He gets a big pay cut or leaves.
So, my guess from here is; he maintains 17-20 disposals a game from no more than 15 games this year. He probably won't get a Brownlow vote, won't finish in the top 10 B&F and gets offered $450 for 2 years at the end of the season or see ya later to another legend, dual B&F, team of the Century, club champion.
Just like with Steven, I wouldn't shed a single tear and will gladly accept the decision if he stays.
Pauline wouldn't understand and you are just being cute because you really have no where else to go with this. Only time will tell.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 8:47pm
But if Jack Lonie... makes a mistake...
Speaking of Lonie, he hasn't changed much. I'm referring to the match - Round 22 2016.

Jack missed most of his targets by foot when he went for his little dart passes, backed it up with speed and pressure on the opposition only to bounce off several players that he tried to tackle.

He threw his head back a few times when going for the loose footy and he got a free at one stage (which was dubious), but he kicked it terribly and unfortunately it nearly went out of bounds on the full. So nothing much has changed.

Several players were forced to bomb it long at various stages and the only player deep in the forward pocket was Jack Lonie. He'll never outmark anyone in a 1-1.

With a fit Butler, JB, Gresh and Higgins, I can't see Jack getting too many games in 2021

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:23am
Uncle Tim and big Bruce at Channel AFL started salivating about how good he was becoming and all of a sudden he is headed for the AFL Hall of Fame.
LOL :mrgreen:

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:46am
B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 8:47pm
But if Jack Lonie... makes a mistake...
Speaking of Lonie, he hasn't changed much. I'm referring to the match - Round 22 2016.

Jack missed most of his targets by foot when he went for his little dart passes, backed it up with speed and pressure on the opposition only to bounce off several players that he tried to tackle.

He threw his head back a few times when going for the loose footy and he got a free at one stage (which was dubious), but he kicked it terribly and unfortunately it nearly went out of bounds on the full. So nothing much has changed.

Several players were forced to bomb it long at various stages and the only player deep in the forward pocket was Jack Lonie. He'll never outmark anyone in a 1-1.

With a fit Butler, JB, Gresh and Higgins, I can't see Jack getting too many games in 2021
I like Lonie as a player, he’s got his challenges but he is AFL standard C grade player who can win the ball and hit the scoreboard.

If Lonie is out back up who can’t get a game I’d suggest we are building a very solid list.

I’d love to see Lonie, Kent & Dunstan on the fringe as it means we finally have Depth.

Not many best 22 listed here have Dean Kent in the side, to me this is an interesting one. I don’t see him as a consistent standard AFL player, he can produce and when he does looks good but overall a fringe D grade player at best.

I know I’m missing something as he gets games, but 2021 will be interesting for Kent with IMO Gresham, Higgins, Butler, Billings, Sinclair & the miss rotating all ahead of him & Lonie as small forwards.

Kent & Lonie offer no flexibility and are ver one dimensional players.

Butler will also be interesting, can he back up last season’s form?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 5:15pm Billings didn't pass Sebby this year.
Just my opinion but Seb would not be able to hold his spot if he played as a wing / half forward.

Just as JB would not have held his spot as a centre square mid.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

The quality of discussion in this thread has taken a serious nose dive, it might be time to watch this thread with the sound down turned down.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 8:47am
Vortex wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 5:15pm Billings didn't pass Sebby this year.
Just my opinion but Seb would not be able to hold his spot if he played as a wing / half forward.

Just as JB would not have held his spot as a centre square mid.
Fair point in the context of players versus postions on the ground.

In terms of expectation and potential I wonder where JB is at. With Seb I don't have any expectation of him and his role beyond 4th to 6th in the midfield and it will be interesting to see if Ratts can squeeze any more potential from him, probably not but I'm ok with that until such time as someone knocks him out of the team rather than he he is replaced becuase he has regressed in output.

JB concerns me more than players like Seb, Kent, Lonie and Dunny et al due to the higher investment in the draft. It's always hugely disappointing for a club when a high DP doesn't meet expectation and so I really hope JB can get a wriggle on so we aren't calling JB a bust in a few years time.
Last edited by Vortex on Sat 02 Jan 2021 10:02am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 12:18am Acres played in the ruck for years? That happen did it??
Or did he attend the occasional ruck contest in a few games as a makeshift 2nd ruckman - like Shaun Grigg did at Richmond?
Acres played 80% of games on the Wing (where he currently plays at Freo) 10% fwd 5% midfield and at best 5% in the ruck.

Marshall probably didn’t start in R1 in the ruck because he was comprehensively beaten by Pierce in the intra club and Pierce did OK in the pre season games - Marshall was seen as more a developing forward ruckman. Lewis had just come off a VFL best and fairest in his 5th year and was seen as ready. Marshall starting just his third year and still learning his craft. Few people. expected the rapid growth of Rowan. If you did see him at Sandy, it was obvious he had talent though, but to this extent - it surprised.

Ball
Lyon did not rate him - that simple.

Now back to Seb Ross
You still haven’t explained how a dud made the AA squad of 40 and won a B&F polled 14 Brownlow votes with multiple BOGs and averaged 30 disposals in 2017???
How did that happen????

I’m curious

Then the dud backed it up with a runner up and a win the following two years???

Also
How was our worst midfielder, our best player vs Richmond in the final last season
Or why did Ratten entrust the match up with Bontempelli the week prior to a dud???

All of this, when clearly it should have been Dunstan?
Who has played reserves footy every year for the last 5 years?

When’s the last time Seb played twos??
Even if it was only 5% ruck time, that’s 5% too much.

So are you saying all those coaches and experts (at the club and here) were wrong, and only when injury forced their hand was the correct decision made?

And coaches have the ability to incorrectly ‘not rate’ players?

Don’t think I ever said Seb was a dud, pretty sure I said he looks good in an ordinary team, but is nothing more than a depth midfielder in a finals team, with a high floor and low ceiling. He’s not a player to lead a team to finals.

And if making the AA squad once is how you judge a great / A grade player, I would maybe look at lifting your standards a bit!

You’ve yet to address the correlation between Seb having his worst season in years and St Kilda having it’s best?
Last edited by The_Dud on Sat 02 Jan 2021 10:12am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 8:51am The quality of discussion in this thread has taken a serious nose dive, it might be time to watch this thread with the sound down turned down.
Do you think Max King will get a game next season, or the Suns will go back-to-back?

:lol: