The Seb Ross discussions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Seb Ross discussions

B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 8:47pm Wasn’t the question about since the start of the 2000s
90s not really a factor

As I said, fringe player after 2003

He played mainly off the bench as Harvey, Hayes, Baker, Powell and Ball started

What was Sebs criticism about his B&Fs again? In a poor side??
20 wins in the 44 games over those two years

Andrew Thompson’s was in a wooden spoon season that saw 2 wins?!

Andrew was probably a B grade player at his best, not quite at that level post 2003.
Just to compare
Andrew Thompson averaged 17 ppg over his career
Seb Ross averages 24ppg so far in his career

Not sure Andrew was a silky player with elite skills either?
He was a good player, no doubt.

But you have your opinion and that’s fine... it’s just that the facts don’t support you.

Jack Higgins - a better mid than Seb?!
He’s never even played there? He may get some minutes there and that might increase over the next few years.

Not sure what Seb has done to be so hated by supporters
Was it winning the 2019 best and fairest? Not sure it is his fault all the coaches voted for him?
Is he a symbol of the AR years as he was a leading player then, and we so desperately want to move past that period?
Is it just a whipping boy thing, where supporters need to be able to blame a player for losses?

He did some outstanding things last season in the finals
And it cannot be acknowledged.

When the bias is so strong supporters cannot see anything positive from a player, and see only the negatives... it’s bizarre?
Every player makes mistakes, it’s a ballistic game.
Rowan Marshall, or Max King could kick a goal for opposition and it’d ok
But if Jack Lonie, Seb Ross, Jarryn Geary or even Jack Billings makes a mistake... they need to be delisted or traded there and then!

I suppose we all have our favourites

And for some, nothing is going to change their mind!!!
Excellent post mate, just excellent. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think the hatred is more than just bizarre. From people who have the hide to call themselves supporters, I think it is downright disgusting.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:23am
B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 12:28am Geary getting big numbers?
Has there ever been a better definition of a lock down defender?!

Was Seb allowed to run around with no attention by the opposition when he was getting BOGs

And how the hell did he get multiple BOGs (out of 44 AFL players on the ground being named the best) if he is so ineffective?
How did he win B&Fs if he is so ineffective?

In the word of Pauline Hanson.... “please explain?”
Geary, in 2018, started to get huge numbers, running the ball out of defence. Check the stats. Now check his career stats against teams where we required him to shut down the best small forward. There is a noticeable difference. This role is no longer his either.
Geary ran around the backline unaccounted on rebound in 2018. The opposition loved the ball in his hands because he had two tricks, long down the line or short across the field. Neither are very reliable and are highly predictable. Like an unconscious pattern of behaviour. But only unconscious to our team, who have a plan and not to the opposition, who also have a plan.
Fantastic lockdown defender, so diverting the conversation won't work BM.

Yes, Seb wasn't usually tagged, why, because he didn't run forward or do anything very damaging with the ball.
He ran backwards and swept off half back, he hung off congestion at the stoppages and broke with a strong burst, the congestion was caused by Dunstan and Steele grappling guys. He ran away from his opponents, got back and became part of a rebound system that became effective because.....well, the ball just kept coming back. It was like a pinball machine and his dreamteam, f****** fantasy stats were unbelievable. Completely unbelievable.
Uncle Tim and big Bruce at Channel AFL started salivating about how good he was becoming and all of a sudden he is headed for the AFL Hall of Fame.
Nevertheless, my great aunt could predict that when Seb got the ball he would stop, feint a pass, back track, turn to his left and boot the ball in the air as far as he could.
If he couldn't find the space to do that, he would rocket a handpass in any direction, so as not to get pinned, with little regard as to where it was going.
If he had a clear path, he would quite often over kick his short passes. Forwards love that.
He did this with nearly half of the possessions he got and in a 4 year period, he got heaps.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen him play about 15 outstanding games. He probably polled Brownlow votes in them all, but for the most part he frustrated the s*** out of me because he averaged 30 possession for 90 games but I can't remember him winning us too many. The guys he was flogging in the B&F votes nearly all gone and the new batch were selected because they are better than him. Thats pretty bloody clear.
In what looks, statistically at least, like a triple brownlow effort between 2016 and 2019 he won 3 brownlow votes only 7 times. You've made my argument easier bringing up the brownlow.
He is a B grader. He went from 16 disposals a game to 30 in one year and sustained it for 4 years, then got told to slow down, lower his eyes and be accountable for an opponent. Now, it looks like he might end up being a ....what did you call it..... a fringe player.
Not on $700k he won't. He gets a big pay cut or leaves.
So, my guess from here is; he maintains 17-20 disposals a game from no more than 15 games this year. He probably won't get a Brownlow vote, won't finish in the top 10 B&F and gets offered $450 for 2 years at the end of the season or see ya later to another legend, dual B&F, team of the Century, club champion.
Just like with Steven, I wouldn't shed a single tear and will gladly accept the decision if he stays.
Pauline wouldn't understand and you are just being cute because you really have no where else to go with this. Only time will tell.
Rewriting history now are we? :roll: :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:46am
B.M wrote: Fri 01 Jan 2021 8:47pm
But if Jack Lonie... makes a mistake...
Speaking of Lonie, he hasn't changed much. I'm referring to the match - Round 22 2016.

Jack missed most of his targets by foot when he went for his little dart passes, backed it up with speed and pressure on the opposition only to bounce off several players that he tried to tackle.

He threw his head back a few times when going for the loose footy and he got a free at one stage (which was dubious), but he kicked it terribly and unfortunately it nearly went out of bounds on the full. So nothing much has changed.

Several players were forced to bomb it long at various stages and the only player deep in the forward pocket was Jack Lonie. He'll never outmark anyone in a 1-1.

With a fit Butler, JB, Gresh and Higgins, I can't see Jack getting too many games in 2021
You are probably right.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

People have their views and that’s fine. Good discussion.

I obviously rate Seb, I think he’s been a good player for a number of years, and all the evidence seems to back this up.

I also rate Jarryn Geary (maybe not now so much at 33yo) but what he’s done over the last decade. Been a warrior and a leader.

Also rate Jack Lonie. In the hardest position on the ground, he is a courageous and clever forward pocket. Only real knock on him is he misses a few opportunities a small forward should nail. 69 goals 75 behinds from 76 games. If that was 90-100 goals from 76 games he’d be one of the better small forwards.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Is it really the hardest postion on the ground? In which era did this claim begin and who was responsible for giving rise to the claim?

And what facts are there to back it up?

There is a debate right there on it's own don't you think?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 10:28am

Was Seb allowed to run around with no attention by the opposition when he was getting BOGs

And how the hell did he get multiple BOGs (out of 44 AFL players on the ground being named the best) if he is so ineffective?

Geary, in 2018, started to get huge numbers, running the ball out of defence. Check the stats. Now check his career stats against teams where we required him to shut down the best small forward. There is a noticeable difference. This role is no longer his either.
Geary ran around the backline unaccounted on rebound in 2018. The opposition loved the ball in his hands because he had two tricks, long down the line or short across the field. Neither are very reliable and are highly predictable. Like an unconscious pattern of behaviour. But only unconscious to our team, who have a plan and not to the opposition, who also have a plan.

Yes, Seb wasn't usually tagged, why, because he didn't run forward or do anything very damaging with the ball.
He ran backwards and swept off half back, he hung off congestion at the stoppages and broke with a strong burst, the congestion was caused by Dunstan and Steele grappling guys. He ran away from his opponents, got back and became part of a rebound system that became effective because.....well, the ball just kept coming back. It was like a pinball machine and his dreamteam, f****** fantasy stats were unbelievable. Completely unbelievable.
Uncle Tim and big Bruce at Channel AFL started salivating about how good he was becoming and all of a sudden he is headed for the AFL Hall of Fame.
Nevertheless, my great aunt could predict that when Seb got the ball he would stop, feint a pass, back track, turn to his left and boot the ball in the air as far as he could.
If he couldn't find the space to do that, he would rocket a handpass in any direction, so as not to get pinned, with little regard as to where it was going.
If he had a clear path, he would quite often over kick his short passes. Forwards love that.
He did this with nearly half of the possessions he got and in a 4 year period, he got heaps.
Don't get me wrong, I've seen him play about 15 outstanding games. He probably polled Brownlow votes in them all, but for the most part he frustrated the s*** out of me because he averaged 30 possession for 90 games but I can't remember him winning us too many. The guys he was flogging in the B&F votes nearly all gone and the new batch were selected because they are better than him. Thats pretty bloody clear.
In what looks, statistically at least, like a triple brownlow effort between 2016 and 2019 he won 3 brownlow votes only 7 times. You've made my argument easier bringing up the brownlow.
He is a B grader. He went from 16 disposals a game to 30 in one year and sustained it for 4 years, then got told to slow down, lower his eyes and be accountable for an opponent. Now, it looks like he might end up being a ....what did you call it..... a fringe player.
So, my guess from here is; he maintains 17-20 disposals a game from no more than 15 games this year. He probably won't get a Brownlow vote, won't finish in the top 10 B&F and gets offered $450 for 2 years at the end of the season or see ya later to another legend, dual B&F, team of the Century, club champion.
Just like with Steven, I wouldn't shed a single tear and will gladly accept the decision if he stays.
Pauline wouldn't understand and you are just being cute because you really have no where else to go with this. Only time will tell.
I'm sure you have some video cassettes of Seb's games Saynta. Get them out and have an objective look. Probably wont change your view though and I can respect that.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 1:30pm
saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 10:28am

I'm sure you have some video cassettes of Seb's games Saynta. Get them out and have an objective look. Probably wont change your view though and I can respect that.
It’s hard to objectively look at something with only one eye open 😉

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 11:20am People have their views and that’s fine. Good discussion.

I obviously rate Seb, I think he’s been a good player for a number of years, and all the evidence seems to back this up.

I also rate Jarryn Geary (maybe not now so much at 33yo) but what he’s done over the last decade. Been a warrior and a leader.

Also rate Jack Lonie. In the hardest position on the ground, he is a courageous and clever forward pocket. Only real knock on him is he misses a few opportunities a small forward should nail. 69 goals 75 behinds from 76 games. If that was 90-100 goals from 76 games he’d be one of the better small forwards.
Seb was our best midfielder for 3 of the last 5 years. That's a fact. How good he was, is debatable and most definitely comparable to the best at the time. So I will concede that he was good at times in that period for a B grader, cleary I dont rate him higher than B. If B is good then that's OK too.
I believe he is better now in his new role, with better players around him and a coach that directs him to a game plan that is sustainable, makes us play better as a side and kick scores that can win us games. Seb's best never achieved that often enough. Unfortunately, there are still a number of good players, who can't kick straight for various reasons, its been like a pandemic at St.Kilda for half a decade, it needs to improve sharply again this season.

I love Geary. He is tough, determined and courageous, I love those qualities and picked guys in my sides for that reason. He is also one of the best shutdown defenders I've seen. When I played, we just called them back pockets doing their job, it takes a certain character to do it well. Geary personifies that character.

Lonie has lots of tricks, unfortunately kicking straight at goal is the most essential one for a forward and one he doesn't possess. Also, if you are going to ignore leads, fall over for frees and kill time and momentum lining up from 45 metres, make sure you can kick 45m, FFS. Sorry not a Lonie fan but have admired some of his effort and run.

Good discussion indeed.

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.

Mark Twain

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 1:56pm
B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 11:20am People have their views and that’s fine. Good discussion.

Seb was our best midfielder for 3 of the last 5 years. That's a fact. How good he was, is debatable and most definitely comparable to the best at the time. So I will concede that he was good at times in that period for a B grader, cleary I dont rate him higher than B. If B is good then that's OK too.
I believe he is better now in his new role, with better players around him and a coach that directs him to a game plan that is sustainable, makes us play better as a side and kick scores that can win us games. Seb's best never achieved that often enough. Unfortunately, there are still a number of good players, who can't kick straight for various reasons, its been like a pandemic at St.Kilda for half a decade, it needs to improve sharply again this season.

I love Geary. He is tough, determined and courageous, I love those qualities and picked guys in my sides for that reason. He is also one of the best shutdown defenders I've seen. When I played, we just called them back pockets doing their job, it takes a certain character to do it well. Geary personifies that character.

Lonie has lots of tricks, unfortunately kicking straight at goal is the most essential one for a forward and one he doesn't possess. Also, if you are going to ignore leads, fall over for frees and kill time and momentum lining up from 45 metres, make sure you can kick 45m, FFS. Sorry not a Lonie fan but have admired some of his effort and run.

Good discussion indeed.

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.

Mark Twain
When did this Twain fella pull on the boots?
I don’t recall him.
Was he related to Shania?
Last edited by Joffa Burns on Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:06pm, edited 1 time in total.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Small Forward

You are ahead of the ball, with a defender and you’re not a key target and you have to keep structure (you cannot go kick chasing)

So yes, it is hard to get a kick sometimes as a small

That’s why small forwards are inconsistent (unless they are elite)

You have days where the ball spills to you, you have days where the key forwards mark everything and you don’t get any scraps, you have days where you defender gives you a bit of latitude and you can get on the end of it, you have days when you’re playing on a gun defender and need to work for possessions or actually defend him!

It’s a really tough position to dominate, as often you are dictated to by how the game is being played.

Lonie is not an elite small forward, but he is a handy and at times dangerous forward.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I believe facts are there for all to see

Some just refuse to see them

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:08pm I believe facts are there for all to see

Some just refuse to see them
I believe you. Even though you lied about the quoting thing and did it twice. It has affected your credibility but we all make mistakes, that's a fact.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What credibility?

We are all just random supporters here?!

What credibility do any of us have?? All just opinions from the outer...

Only opinions that count really are the match committee
And their decisions are the facts I speak of

Not sure what you mean about quoting?
I was trying to edit a spelling error in a post and accidentally quoted, which I normally don’t do... apparently to many peoples chagrin. Insignificant

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:34pm What credibility?

We are all just random supporters here?!

What credibility do any of us have?? All just opinions from the outer...

Only opinions that count really are the match committee
And their decisions are the facts I speak of

Not sure what you mean about quoting?
I was trying to edit a spelling error in a post and accidentally quoted, which I normally don’t do... apparently to many peoples chagrin. Insignificant
You quoted, you then said 'it won't happen again', then you did it again. That's the only credible statement I have tied to you. I do consider the rest, just your opinion.
Unfortunately the evidence doesn't seem to support your position on this one either.
Like I said, sometimes we are certain, when in fact, we are mistaken. Even you.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Just for clarity, so you don't think I'm making up stuff or reinventing history on Seb, as Saynta would have you believe, here are some words from the horses mouth.
We all know what happened to Sebs stats in 2020.
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/02/14/ ... eficiency/

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Credibility, at least in my eyes is something JB and BM have in bucket loads. They have proven their footy knowledge to be astute over decades on this forum.

On the other hand IMHFO, CQ SAINT is totally lacking in credibility and proves that fact time and time again.

But what would you expect from a banana bender new to the real footy game.

But hey, as I said, that is only my opinion. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:56pm Just for clarity, so you don't think I'm making up stuff or reinventing history on Seb, as Saynta would have you believe, here are some words from the horses mouth.
Yep , from the horse's mouth

"“I sat down with Brendon Lade, we worked out a way I could be more efficient for the team by playing within my realms. I’m a good short kick and it’s beneficial for the team a lot of the time to keep the ball in possession."

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:56pm Credibility, at least in my eyes is something JB and BM have in bucket loads. They have proven their footy knowledge to be astute over decades on this forum.

On the other hand IMHFO, CQ SAINT is totally lacking in credibility and proves that fact time and time again.

True and yet completely misguided as well. Your opinion is acknowledged and immediately disregarded. I must say though, what you lack in football knowledge, you certainly make up for with quaint old stories and of course, your opinion. Looking forward to your next post Saynta.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 3:00pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:56pm Just for clarity, so you don't think I'm making up stuff or reinventing history on Seb, as Saynta would have you believe, here are some words from the horses mouth.
Yep , from the horse's mouth

"“I sat down with Brendon Lade, we worked out a way I could be more efficient for the team by playing within my realms. I’m a good short kick and it’s beneficial for the team a lot of the time to keep the ball in possession."
Marvellous, it only took him 125 games and 2 B&F's to work out he was surrounded by inept hero worshipping coaches, he had s*** team mates, he can't kick properly and its good for the team to keep possession. What an outstanding football brain and leader. Who would have thought.

His manager goes, make a statement before Ratten does, it'll look better for you and your fans will love it. And BTW, stop reading Saintsational, you'll only have more nightmares.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 3:03pm
saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 2:56pm Credibility, at least in my eyes is something JB and BM have in bucket loads. They have proven their footy knowledge to be astute over decades on this forum.

True and yet completely misguided as well. Your opinion is acknowledged and immediately disregarded. I must say though, what you lack in football knowledge, you certainly make up for with quaint old stories and of course, your opinion. Looking forward to your next post Saynta.
I get you are snaky with BM because he showed you up for your lack of knowledge but don't try that crap on with me.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I, on the other hand are not looking forward to your next inane rubbishy denigrating post. You should be ashamed to call yourself a St Kilda supporter, something you are definitely not in my eyes.

I'm sure you wouldn't be game to repeat your opinions on the Saints Vice Captain to his face.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

A quote from the third post on this thread and my first one on this at times offensive discussion of a club champion..

"And the last thing we need on this forum is another thread where disgruntled losers can take another pot shot at one of the club's finest players of the past decade. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:"

And I sincerely mean ever word of the quoted sentence. :twisted:

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 3:15pm

I get you are snaky with BM because he showed you up for your lack of knowledge but don't try that crap on with me.

I, on the other hand are not looking forward to your next inane rubbishy denigrating post. You should be ashamed to call yourself a St Kilda supporter, something you are definitely not in my eyes.

I'm sure you wouldn't be game to repeat your opinions on the Saints Vice Captain to his face.
Like you Saynta, BM is entitled to his opinion and can deflect my criticism of Seb any way he likes. I actually think it's very interesting but I see why he won't quote or stay on track with points. The flipping of context to create diversion from facts you too do is amusing too.

The fact remains, evidenced in that last article I posted and through his new role and initiatives with the ball, that after winning 2 B&F's and amassing a disposal count in the 30's for 4 years, Seb has had his wings clipped and been told to follow the better mids from the opposition around and when you get the ball, deliver it safely to someone else who can kick to a target properly. This has halved his disposal this far and he is better because of it.

Losers are the type of people that would revell in the 4 years of s*** disposal that Seb dished up and they would also completely miss the implications that the required role change has on Sebs efforts over the previous 4 years.
I have always said, he is a great athlete, a professional in the way he conducts himself and a loyal club man who does what is expected of him and more, im not going piss in anyone's pocket and crap on about how good he was or is though.
He is better now because he has support and doesn't feel like he has to do everything. He is still a s*** kick though. He just has to swim between the flags and maintain his solid B grade status, but the money is non negotiable. He is going to take a pay cut otherwise he will be stealing from Coffield, Clark and King. If he moves on, well I'll still be here, telling you how it really is. There's a block button somewhere on here, never used it or reported anyone myself, but your sensitivity levels may require you to give it a try. Weak as piss really but I whatever floats your boat. I can do this all day.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 3:52pm

Like you Saynta, BM is entitled to his opinion and can deflect my criticism of Seb any way he likes. I actually think it's very interesting but I see why he won't quote or stay on track with points. The flipping of context to create diversion from facts you too do is amusing too.

The fact remains, evidenced in that last article I posted and through his new role and initiatives with the ball, that after winning 2 B&F's and amassing a disposal count in the 30's for 4 years, Seb has had his wings clipped and been told to follow the better mids from the opposition around and when you get the ball, deliver it safely to someone else who can kick to a target properly. This has halved his disposal this far and he is better because of it.

Losers are the type of people that would revell in the 4 years of s*** disposal that Seb dished up and they would also completely miss the implications that the required role change has on Sebs efforts over the previous 4 years.
I have always said, he is a great athlete, a professional in the way he conducts himself and a loyal club man who does what is expected of him and more, im not going piss in anyone's pocket and crap on about how good he was or is though.
He is better now because he has support and doesn't feel like he has to do everything. He is still a s*** kick though. He just has to swim between the flags and maintain his solid B grade status, but the money is non negotiable. He is going to take a pay cut otherwise he will be stealing from Coffield, Clark and King. If he moves on, well I'll still be here, telling you how it really is. There's a block button somewhere on here, never used it or reported anyone myself, but your sensitivity levels may require you to give it a try. Weak as piss really but I whatever floats your boat. I can do this all day.
yawn. Just to let you know I won't be reading this post. :roll:

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Seb is like Rodney Dangerfield.

He, too, don't get no respect!

Saint supporter since '62
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 4:14pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 02 Jan 2021 3:52pm

yawn. Just to let you know I won't be reading this post. :roll:
Classic Saynta. Inane to the end. Despite your occasional retorts, I was pretty certain you only read your own posts most of the time.