The Seb Ross discussions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

Re: The Seb Ross discussions

B.M wrote: Mon 04 Jan 2021 9:50pm Armo should have played in a premiership in 09

I think Armo is a very good comparison to Bytel
...just to be clear, when you say "Armo", are you referring to the Player Formerly Known as DAVE?

Look again it's the Flash!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Yes, Dave

Strong at the contest!

Seriously though, his dropping in 09 made zero sense?!

Just that Ross did trust younger players

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 11:09am Yes, Dave

Strong at the contest!

How did you see his career progress after that game? did he meet your expectation? Who would he displace on our current best 22?

Sanctorum
Club Player

If people feel that Jack Bytel is going to play like David Armitage, I'm not sure that he will become more than a fringe player on the current list, certainly not Best 22 - from what little we have seen of him so far I think it's hard to draw such a comparison just yet.

Not that I wish to "knock" Armo because he gave great service to the club, but he never really got to the level expected of a #9 DP....

Personally I like the look of Bytel but it's too early to say that he'll keep Seb Ross out of the team this year.

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Strong at the contest!

Interesting how you agree coaches / selection panels don’t always pick the right players

;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 2:32pm

Strong at the contest!

Interesting how you agree coaches / selection panels don’t always pick the right players

;)
The tosser flosser never gave youth a chance and it cost the club dearly. Maybe even one or two premierships.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I know Dud

Surely they should have dropped Ross in the finals, he did nothing!

Oh wait...

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 2:37pm

Strong at the contest!

;)
The tosser flosser never gave youth a chance and it cost the club dearly. Maybe even one or two premierships.
I know recruiting for long term wasn’t a high priority but which selections cost us?

I think he shouldn’t have picked Baker as much as I loved him. He went for curly haired youth ahead of Max H.
I don’t think we could have gotten any closer than we did in ‘09 and ‘10. ‘10 was a miracle to get there.

Are you speaking of ‘11?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Have a look at Dave Armitage’s last three games of 2009

Can’t think of a reason why he was dropped?

On a damp, drizzly bleak day at the G a competitive beast like Armo would have made a difference IMO

Not sure what role Sean Dempster was trying to play (as a fwd?) but it didn’t work. Another mid to rotate would’ve been nice, especially after Goddard missed a number of minutes getting is collar bone and nose seen to?!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 3:51pm

Strong at the contest!

;)
I know recruiting for long term wasn’t a high priority but which selections cost us?

I think he shouldn’t have picked Baker as much as I loved him. He went for curly haired youth ahead of Max H.
I don’t think we could have gotten any closer than we did in ‘09 and ‘10. ‘10 was a miracle to get there.

Are you speaking of ‘11?
I'm talking about the arrested development of Armo and Steven as well as losing young players starved of opportunities like the Eagles pair Hutchins and Cripps and the Crows' Tom Lynch.

And that's just for starters.

Don't get me started on playing an average footballer who had been on a drip all night in front of Max FFS. in the most important game we had played in 12 f****** years. :roll:

The tosser was a f****** loser. Still is IMHO.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 4:15pm

Strong at the contest!

;)

Are you speaking of ‘11?
I'm talking about the arrested development of Armo and Steven as well as losing young players starved of opportunities like the Eagles pair Hutchins and Cripps and the Crows' Tom Lynch.

Don't get me started on playing an average footballer who had been on a drip all night in front of Max FFS. in the most important game we had played in 12 f****** years. :roll:

I like it....funny how a lengthy thread like this one invariably gets onto the "Crucifixion of Ross the Boss", maybe it should have been called "The Ross discussions" :lol: :lol:

"To do good is noble. To tell others to do good is even nobler and much less trouble.."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 4:48pm

Strong at the contest!

;)

Are you speaking of ‘11?

I like it....funny how a lengthy thread like this one invariably gets onto the "Crucifixion of Ross the Boss", maybe it should have been called "The Ross discussions" :lol: :lol:
Well, yes. Sometimes someone named Ross deserves to be nailed to the cross, but not our Seb. :wink: :wink: :wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Strong at the contest!

;)

Are you speaking of ‘11?

That’s no way to talk about one of the greatest coaches in St Kilda history.

And some people dare call themselves supporters...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 7:01pm

Strong at the contest!

;)

Are you speaking of ‘11?

Lol.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 7:01pm

Strong at the contest!

;)

Are you speaking of ‘11?

He was a f*** wit mate who cost us two flags.

And for the record I never bad mouthed him while he was our coach, except when the prick lied and said he simply forgot to put Ball back on the field in 2009 and then got rid of him to the filth.

You will get no apology from me for bagging Toss Lyin FFS.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Dave Armitage had a solid career, at his best (2015) he was a very good inside mid. Tough as f***!

His last two seasons his back was completely stuffed!!

Good player
Would he get a game in the current team?
Yes

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 9:40pm Dave Armitage had a solid career, at his best (2015) he was a very good inside mid. Tough as f***!

Good player
Yes
I agree with everything except the last sentence, obviously he wouldn't push Hanners, Steele or Crouch out so he'd be competing for a spot against the likes of Sebby. Yeah at his best he would probably push Sebby out and he would keep Dunny out for sure.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:53am
B.M wrote: Tue 05 Jan 2021 9:40pm Dave Armitage had a solid career, at his best (2015) he was a very good inside mid. Tough as f***!

Good player
Yes
I agree with everything except the last sentence, obviously he wouldn't push Hanners, Steele or Crouch out so he'd be competing for a spot against the likes of Sebby. Yeah at his best he would probably push Sebby out and he would keep Dunny out for sure.
Highly improbable he'd stop Bytel cementing his rightful spot in our best 22 by season's end, you must admit.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 5:14pm

Good player
Yes
Highly improbable he'd stop Bytel cementing his rightful spot in our best 22 by season's end, you must admit.
Nup. The conversation is based on proven performers so ask me again at season's end.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I have got a sneaky suspicion that Byrne's might be a tad in front of Bytel at this stage.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:17pm I have got a sneaky suspicion that Byrne's might be a tad in front of Bytel at this stage.
I noticed he didn't set the world on fire and was underwhelming.

But, maybe the time he came into the side, happened to coincide with the time that other teams worked us out, as someone said in one of these threads, and decided to shut down our rip-tide style of play by zoning down back and blocking the channel and overflow into the goal square where we could run the ball through the sticks.

What role did he play in those two games? Or was it just one?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sanctorum
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:35pm
saynta wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:17pm I have got a sneaky suspicion that Byrne's might be a tad in front of Bytel at this stage.
I noticed he didn't set the world on fire and was underwhelming.

But, maybe the time he came into the side, happened to coincide with the time that other teams worked us out, as someone said in one of these threads, and decided to shut down our rip-tide style of play by zoning down back and blocking the channel and overflow into the goal square where we could run the ball through the sticks.

What role did he play in those two games? Or was it just one?
Byrnes at 181 cm is likely to be more of an "in and under" mid than Bytel (189 cm). His single game last year did not show a lot of promise and it will be interesting to see how they progress in the pre-season, my gut feeling is that neither will force their way in but would be happy to be proven wrong!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:00pm

Good player
Yes
Nup. The conversation is based on proven performers so ask me again at season's end.
Proven at which point of their careers? Start, middle, end or best, average, worst?

Bytel is simply a player picked that on the balance of probabilities was the best available, in essence a steal. I cannot see why a person would not enjoy the possibility he may actually be that "steal".

Personally I want him to be better than Ross, Sinclair, Hannebery, Crouch because it means we are a genuine threat to a flag.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes was played as a HF in his only game, not sure that’s his go?

Seems like a player who likes to be around the footy, not in front of the ball

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 8:02pm
Vortex wrote: Wed 06 Jan 2021 6:00pm

Good player
Yes
Proven at which point of their careers? Start, middle, end or best, average, worst?

Bytel is simply a player picked that on the balance of probabilities was the best available, in essence a steal. I cannot see why a person would not enjoy the possibility he may actually be that "steal".

Personally I want him to be better than Ross, Sinclair, Hannebery, Crouch because it means we are a genuine threat to a flag.
I want him to be everything he is being predicated to be, he's going to need to be to break in and remain a best 22 player for the 2021 season, that is if we keep trending upwards and crack into the top 4. He's got some seriosly talented players in front of him so let's see.