Tassie's Ultimation to AFL:

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tassie's Ultimation to AFL:

The time is coming to go for 20 teams - by the end of 2030.

One will be in Tasmania by then. The question is where the other will be. I think, by then, Canberra will be tiring of GWS and agitating for their own team - a team that not only encompasses Canberra but Wagga Wagga and the southern NSW/border region.

As successful as that alliance has been between GWS-Canberra, my gut feel is Canberra is just starting to crave a bit more self-identity now (which it hasn't been the case previously) and the population is becoming less FIFO and more settled. There's 450,000 living there now and that should grow to 600,000 by 2030.

The AFL will LOVE having a permanent presence in Canberra. Within 10 years, I see it forcefully staking a claim.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 12:14am North have been giving us hidings for years and years.
Let's not sugar coat it - they have owned us for forty-five years - except for one year - 1997.
They're no basket case.
It's funny - North has a small-ish latent supporter base which they've never ever really been able to grown nor monetise in a membership sense. North is a really well run club that's always had excellent boards and management. Unlike St Kilda which has often had rubbish boards and even worse management. That's largely the reason for the disparity in balance sheets (yes, undeniably the Kangas are $14M better off than us).

But it's the latent supporter base that the AFL is acutely aware of. We have a massive one that we're only starting to monetise properly (now that we have a good team, good board and good management). That will allow St K to grow whereas North is going to be forever pushing it uphill to be much more than what they already are

Go you red, black & white warriors
The Billings Method
Club Player

guitars4 wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 9:09pm
saynta wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 5:10pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 11:02am I am interested if anyone cares whether Norf or the Squawks play out of Tassie. Its like threatening to close a pinball arcade because they can't get a major theme park. Isn't it? If they could support a team they'd have one already, wouldn't they?
North Tasmania Football Club. Do they have Kangaroos in Tasmania?
No. No kangaroos ,only wallabies.
They do have kangaroos there called Forester kangaroos
They sure do. They're the size of All Black front rowers as well! I hit one at night in the fog in Dickson, an inner suburb. The others in the mob just stayed still, staring at me, like a bunch of steroid fuelled bouncers. Scary!

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:26am
samuraisaint wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 12:14am North have been giving us hidings for years and years.
Let's not sugar coat it - they have owned us for forty-five years - except for one year - 1997.
They're no basket case.
Not entirely true.

St Kilda won 11 of 14 vs North Melbourne between 2003-2011, including five wins of 50+.
And how did the other 40 seasons go (apart from 1997)?

At one stage we had won 18 out of the past 60 matches against North before 2003.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Billings Method
Club Player

Send Norf to Canberra and call them the ACT Giant Kangaroos!

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

i’ve just pulled up in Braddon

i can see the Gorman Arts Centre
...it’s certainly fresher than Brissy

do my socials here for a day or two
then scarper down to Nowra

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
fugazi 2021

If be pretty happy to go to Tassie for the weekend to see an away game .
Good on Tassie. Hobart is a fantastic little city.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not according to some!

Even though it is a great size

Is on the beautiful Derwent river with the back drop of Mt Wellington

Munga
Saintsational Legend

The term "relocation" is anything but. It's a death sentence, just ask South Melbourne and Fitzroy. A way of cutting off the weakest to spread the religion.
All about the money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money, money.

Tassie should've had a team decades ago.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Mon 15 Feb 2021 2:44pm The time is coming to go for 20 teams - by the end of 2030.

One will be in Tasmania by then. The question is where the other will be. I think, by then, Canberra will be tiring of GWS and agitating for their own team - a team that not only encompasses Canberra but Wagga Wagga and the southern NSW/border region.

As successful as that alliance has been between GWS-Canberra, my gut feel is Canberra is just starting to crave a bit more self-identity now (which it hasn't been the case previously) and the population is becoming less FIFO and more settled. There's 450,000 living there now and that should grow to 600,000 by 2030.

The AFL will LOVE having a permanent presence in Canberra. Within 10 years, I see it forcefully staking a claim.
I think you're right about 20 teams and Tassie, but I'd think a third team in Perth or a team in Northern Queensland / NT is more likely than Canberra. Having attended a few games in Canberra over the years, there's very little passion for the game, and no one would regularly attend the footy in winter there, especially at night.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

roskilde wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 12:22am
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 3:00pm
saynta wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 2:35pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 2:23pm
saynta wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 2:17pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 1:22pm
The ACT is a sterile soulless no where land.
bulls***. That just shows how ignorant you are which is hardly a surprise coming from a f****** banana bender. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Laughable someone from the backward state of Queensland talking about time warps FFS. :roll: :roll: :roll: :twisted:
Saynta. More great insight from the book of utter bulls*** from you again. You ve been every, done everything cant argue with that. How you going with the number of executions for rape in Canberra. Or was the black hat diatribe straight from the utter bullsjit catalogues too.

Your contributions are appreciated thanks mate.
No, unlike you my stories are true. Death penalty was prounced in every rape case where the defendant (s) was/were
convicted. Later communted to life in prison.

The bleeding heart, soft cocks changed the laws in the NT and ACT when they came to power in 1972.

I saw judges cover their heads in black when pronouncing the death penalty. Chilling in the extreme. Sight will always remain with me.

In my view Canberra is a well kept secret . One of the best cities in the best country in the world.

You can't say that about f****** Central Queensland. :wink: :wink: :wink:

And yes. I have lived in multiple states and Territories, like many on this site.

Glad you like my posts. The feeling is reciprocated. Love some of your but not when you are putting s*** on something you know sweet f*** al about. :roll:
Thanks, so that's 0 executions. The story makes great theatre. Chilling. I'm tingling. Must have been a profound lift for the victims and their families. Great story.
My grandmother lived in Canberra. I went there often in the 70's and 80's. I can she why she retired there. The old girl loved the place.
Best kept secret indeed. Pretty place, pure, pristine, a completely fabricated modern city, with a history steeped in not much at all and soulless in every regard. The land of the public servants, the clubs, cinemas, bowling allies nd private schools must be pumping.
Of course my recollections are dated. With an average growth rate steadily growing at 1-2% per annum since then, it must be a thriving metropolis by now.
I grew up here in the 80's and yes the changes since then have been utterly immense. Which, to your point about sterility, is actually the most soulless part for me.

The city center has 'modernized' and looks like just about every other city center with the same shops and same chain restaurants everywhere. Civic -- that's the main political/economic area -- has lost its charm.

Each day there seems to be a new suburb springing up that looks much like the last one.

My mother lives in one of the new suburbs and I jokingly refer to it as the occupied West Bank because it just looks so artificial.
When I moved to Canberra in 1966 the population was around 96,000 now it is well over 400,000. A shame really as those extra 300,000 have f***ed the place, Still one of the best and safest cities in the world in which to live though.

Yep, I agree with your comments on the new suburbs. They should bring back the death penalty....for those that designed some of the monstrosities currently being constructed.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Mon 15 Feb 2021 5:03pm
guitars4 wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 9:09pm
saynta wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 5:10pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 12 Feb 2021 11:02am I am interested if anyone cares whether Norf or the Squawks play out of Tassie. Its like threatening to close a pinball arcade because they can't get a major theme park. Isn't it? If they could support a team they'd have one already, wouldn't they?
North Tasmania Football Club. Do they have Kangaroos in Tasmania?
No. No kangaroos ,only wallabies.
They do have kangaroos there called Forester kangaroos
They sure do. They're the size of All Black front rowers as well! I hit one at night in the fog in Dickson, an inner suburb. The others in the mob just stayed still, staring at me, like a bunch of steroid fuelled bouncers. Scary!
I presume you mean Dickson Canberra?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 10:24am
evertonfc wrote: Mon 15 Feb 2021 2:44pm The time is coming to go for 20 teams - by the end of 2030.

I think you're right about 20 teams and Tassie, but I'd think a third team in Perth or a team in Northern Queensland / NT is more likely than Canberra. Having attended a few games in Canberra over the years, there's very little passion for the game, and no one would regularly attend the footy in winter there, especially at night.
Don't agree. Half the initial population was transferred from Melbourne.They support existing teams. Back in the days of Cowboy Neale, Aussie rules was the number one sport. Has dropped off in recent years with the bulk of the kids playing soccer. Also the ACT has its own NRL team, The Canberra Raiders, and their own union team, the Brumbies, relegating AFL down the list.

That would change if the ACT had its own AFL team.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 13 Feb 2021 10:16pm Seems more like your issues, rather than issues with living in Tas

And if you knew Tassie, you’d know Launceston gets much colder than Hobart.

Not sure you know much about Tasmania in the last 40 years?
Not when you take wind the chill factor into account.

The coldest I have ever felt was in Hobart and that includes winter days in Canberra where there is always sunshine.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 15 Feb 2021 7:56pm
Beno88 wrote: Sun 14 Feb 2021 10:26am
They're no basket case.
Not entirely true.

St Kilda won 11 of 14 vs North Melbourne between 2003-2011, including five wins of 50+.
And how did the other 40 seasons go (apart from 1997)?

At one stage we had won 18 out of the past 60 matches against North before 2003.
They definitely dominated us between 1974 & 1987, as pretty much everyone did. In that period we lost 24 of 27 games vs North. But we didn't have a win ratio better than 20% against anyone in that period.

Since then, we've won 23 of 49.

Between 1955 & 1973, we dominated them 25-7.

Overall we have a 49% win rate vs North. The second best of any team we've played more than 100 times.

They're hardly a team who've owned us, but we've lost plenty of games against them that we shouldn't have.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s funny Saynta, the coldest I’ve ever been would have been (outside of Alpine areas) was at 6am in July 92. I caught a Hercules to Canberra and when I was got out on the tarmac (in overalls) the wind went straight through me like a knife! It was nearly as bad as being in the water in western port bay in July doing survival at sea!!! Hypothermia type stuff!!!

Launceston being in a valley gets ridiculously cold in winter mornings. So does Ballarat.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

why "can't" we pack Collingwood off to Tassie. ??? would make the rest of the comp happy

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 2:42pm why "can't" we pack Collingwood off to Tassie. ??? would make the rest of the comp happy
Would you wish that on Tassie?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 3:45pm
The Fireman wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 2:42pm why "can't" we pack Collingwood off to Tassie. ??? would make the rest of the comp happy
yeah....I was being a bit selfish

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 3:52pm
skeptic wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 3:45pm
yeah....I was being a bit selfish
Maybe Canberra would be a better fit?

Bit too close to home still

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I have been flogged before and feel I still haven't learned.....

I wish the Saints would go to Tassie.
Riewoldt would jump back into the club.

We'd get a shat load of incentives including picks.

Let's not forget the zones....who's the last priority player we have gotten worth a damn?

How about all of Tassie as our zone?

Im all in!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 2:34pm That’s funny Saynta, the coldest I’ve ever been would have been (outside of Alpine areas) was at 6am in July 92. I caught a Hercules to Canberra and when I was got out on the tarmac (in overalls) the wind went straight through me like a knife! It was nearly as bad as being in the water in western port bay in July doing survival at sea!!! Hypothermia type stuff!!!

Launceston being in a valley gets ridiculously cold in winter mornings. So does Ballarat.
Well I still claim that Hobart is f****** freezing with that wind coming off the Mountain., It is a couple of degrees warmer on the other side of the bridge I believe as the wind warms up travelling over the ocean.

But yeah. It can be cold in Canberra so I don't disbelieve you., but I was always colder in Hobart than Launceston, or Canberra.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

SAINT-LEE wrote: Wed 17 Feb 2021 6:38pm I have been flogged before and feel I still haven't learned.....

I wish the Saints would go to Tassie.
Riewoldt would jump back into the club.

We'd get a shat load of incentives including picks.

Let's not forget the zones....who's the last priority player we have gotten worth a damn?

How about all of Tassie as our zone?

Im all in!

If the Saints ever moved to Tassie with all those real incentives, kept the jumper, the Saints name etc etc.

I'd bloody well move there myself.

Tassie is dead set brilliant.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
B.M
Saintsational Legend

If Stk went to Tassie

I’d be beside myself!!!! Two of my favourite things merging with 8 first round draft picks!!!

But ain’t gonna happen!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If they fixed the draw so we only travelled to Perth, Brisbane and Adelaide once each a year and played 11 in Tassie, 5 at Metricon and 3 at the G and renamed Tasmania, St.Kilda. Id vote for it.