Jimmy Webster...almost the forgotten man

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmike65
Club Player

Jimmy Webster...almost the forgotten man

Wasn't it fabulous to see Jimmy Webster back playing again.
It's been a while. he hasn't played senior footy for a long time, tend to forget what a handy player he is.
He's deceptively tall, has pace, courage and when he kicks, the ball travels low & quickly through the air.
Fingers crossed Jimmy will get a good run at it this year, as he could be a real asset.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jimmy Webster...almost the forgotten man

Gets little respect on here, but he's a fine player.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Not his biggest fan myself but definitely the most intriguing player currently on the list

Hopefully he’s the fittest that he’s ever been and is going to give the top 22 a real shake this year

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Definitely required this year due to Paton getting injured

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:59am Definitely required this year due to Paton getting injured
Of all the players on the list... Geary on return from injury seems the most logical replacement for Paton

With Sinclair potentially playing with the defenders
Long an option
Highmore reportedly showing potential early
And midfield options that allow us to leave Clark on a flank...

I definitely wouldn’t say he is required. There’s opportunity for him by all means if he’s good enough

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Webster as as brave as anyone on the list and a bloody hard worker. Along with Roberton & Geary was a back line mainstay under Richo.

Great young fella as well, nice humble young guy.

IMO is only back up now as a lockdown small defender and probably behind Paton, Geary & potentially Long playing that role.

The rebound defenders and mids who might spend time back are well in front of him Coffield, Clark, Sinclair, Ross etc.

Wilkie & Howard are walk ups and so too is a fit Carslile so if Jimmy is not picked with the current injuries to Paton & Geary you’d think it’s curtains for him.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 10:06am
B.M wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 9:59am Definitely required this year due to Paton getting injured
Of all the players on the list... Geary on return from injury seems the most logical replacement for Paton

With Sinclair potentially playing with the defenders
Long an option
Highmore reportedly showing potential early
And midfield options that allow us to leave Clark on a flank...

I definitely wouldn’t say he is required. There’s opportunity for him by all means if he’s good enough

If we are talking about a person to play back pocket on smallish forwards who lurk close to goal then:

* Long is an option, but from the last two games he plays too loose and seems more suited to playing the attacking hbf role.

However Sinclair has emerged as a superior option for this role. And then there is also Hunter Clark and Coffield.

All three are very attacking and we want their drive across more the hb zone.

* Highmore has looked good. But to play on opposition small forwards? No, I think not. The description of describing him as a Wilkie Clone seems to be a very apt one.

So do we play Wilkie or Highmore as our backmen to take the opposition's best small forward? ie No Long, or Webster. It may well work better than Long, but I think that Webster would be a better call.

So at present Webster would seem to be the best option to take the oppositions best small forward till at least Geary is back on deck.

The option of Wilkie and Highmore does yes give us really good interceptors down back, but that then also creates a window of opportunity for the best opposition small forwards who are waiting to create off the chaos balls and crumbs.

With Butler, Higgins, Gresh and Lonie would we not love it if their opponents were all taller but less nimble types?

PS. BP wildcards: Ross, Jones and Kent

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I tried to upload an SEN chat between Cane Cornes and Mathew Lloyd. Lloydy was saying Jimmy Webster is the right stuff and should be head hunted by all other clubs. This was Oct last year. Because its on Facebook - typical - they won't let me post until I disable my tracking protection, but if you can find it, it is pretty pointed.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It’s obviously been a long time since I’ve seen Jimmy play.

Doesn’t he play taller rather than shorter?

Strikes me more as a third man up type rather than someone with the skill set to play a lockdown type role.

Doesn’t strike me at all as an appropriate choice to replace Paton’s role. Not to suggest he can’t play top 22 but I’d have thought he’d be directly competing with others

Not intending to be snarky here... am I remembering this wrong?

The Barometer
Club Player

Needs to keep his feet. Has always been a problem. Silvangni kicked a few on him, a decent small would have a field day. Kicking iffy as well. I really enjoyed our backline last year all being good by foot, no weak link coming out.

SRS- why do you think Kent as a wildcard? I’ve had the thought previously that he should be tried back and wouldn’t mind seeing it tried. His field kicking seems pretty good - penetrating and with good vision so would set up some good plays. Seems to like a contest but how do you think he would go defending?

The Barometer
Club Player

Needs to keep his feet. Has always been a problem. Silvangni kicked a few on him, a decent small would have a field day. Kicking iffy as well. I really enjoyed our backline last year all being good by foot, no weak link coming out.

SRS- why do you think Kent as a wildcard? I’ve had the thought previously that he should be tried back and wouldn’t mind seeing it tried. His field kicking seems pretty good - penetrating and with good vision so would set up some good plays. Seems to like a contest but how do you think he would go defending?

The Billings Method
Club Player

As hard as it as anyone on our list. It is his best attribute. Jimmy engenders fear in the opposition. He's not a direct replacement for Paton. Not a good enough kick, but he's as least as efficient by foot as Long. The stats tell us that.

He has a place, I'm just not sure what his best spot is. A make or break year for him, as it is for several others. Dmac was Savage in his attack on the ball and man last night. Alas, for Dan, his "headless chook" approach let's him down. It would appear Ratts has already voted him down on the basis of his shonky kicking.No games last year.

It goes to show what a massive loss Paton is. None of Long, Webster, nor Dmac are adequate replacements. I hope someone proves me wrong.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I’d rather have him play that release half back flanker than a lock down role. Unfortunately for him though, Sinclair has just made that role his. Not sure JW is back to his best based on what I’ve seen so far.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Billings Method wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 8:04pm As hard as it as anyone on our list. It is his best attribute. Jimmy engenders fear in the opposition. He's not a direct replacement for Paton. Not a good enough kick, but he's as least as efficient by foot as Long. The stats tell us that.

He has a place, I'm just not sure what his best spot is. A make or break year for him, as it is for several others. Dmac was Savage in his attack on the ball and man last night. Alas, for Dan, his "headless chook" approach let's him down. It would appear Ratts has already voted him down on the basis of his shonky kicking.No games last year.

It goes to show what a massive loss Paton is. None of Long, Webster, nor Dmac are adequate replacements. I hope someone proves me wrong.
Agree, Paton is a big loss and was one of the reasons we improved, but he is replaceable, I think. 🤞

Compare both Hunter and Jack S to Webster across HB. Sorry, but no comparison. Jimmy just goes to ground much too often for my liking and he gives up the ball to the opposition too easily.

I'd try Long first as the lockdown defender for 3- 4 games, then Jimmy W.

They both aren't as good as him in that role but I reckon that Ratts is smart enough to manufacture something here.

Again

🤞

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I like Jimmy Webster & I hope he can get back to form he displayed a few of years ago but hasn't played at this level for a long period of time . I don't think he is in our best 22 ATM but hey who knows what injuries might happen & if he get's the opportunity to impress & delivers who knows what will happen but best of luck Jimmy

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 10:33am Webster as as brave as anyone on the list and a bloody hard worker. Along with Roberton & Geary was a back line mainstay under Richo.

Great young fella as well, nice humble young guy.

IMO is only back up now as a lockdown small defender and probably behind Paton, Geary & potentially Long playing that role.

The rebound defenders and mids who might spend time back are well in front of him Coffield, Clark, Sinclair, Ross etc.

Wilkie & Howard are walk ups and so too is a fit Carslile so if Jimmy is not picked with the current injuries to Paton & Geary you’d think it’s curtains for him.

Spot on....his hand injury really hurt his career.
In 2018 he had so many elite stats and was shaping up against top forwards and winning.

Since then injury has cruelled a long run to reinvigorate that fierceness

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 06 Mar 2021 3:28pm It’s obviously been a long time since I’ve seen Jimmy play.

Doesn’t he play taller rather than shorter?

Strikes me more as a third man up type rather than someone with the skill set to play a lockdown type role.

Doesn’t strike me at all as an appropriate choice to replace Paton’s role. Not to suggest he can’t play top 22 but I’d have thought he’d be directly competing with others

Not intending to be snarky here... am I remembering this wrong?

He can play on small or taller, and yes is also good at the third man up role. He has locked down players in the past.

His first game was on Jeff Garlett..

I agree that at locking down a player Paton and Geary are better options, but bother are not available which is the point.

So who next? I think it is Webster as I think that Long is too loose and lacks the discipline you need on a gun small forward.

Highmore made his name last year as an intercept defender, and playing mainly on medium to larger forwards.

I think he is now 193cm. There is a stronger case for him to play CHB than on a small forward.

Those who saw him play this season will have little doubt Highmore’s standout attribute is his marking ability. Up until his injury, Highmore led the league for marks – a particularly impressive statistic given his lack of prior SANFL experience. Highmore possesses the ability to beat his opponents in the air in several different ways. He reads the play exceptionally well and knows when to peel off his opponent to impact the contest further afield. It was these traits, combined with his unquestionable courage, which made him such a dominant intercept marker throughout the season. Highmore is also a strong one-on-one defender and, in season 2020, demonstrated an ability to lock-down on some of the SANFL’s most potent key forwards, including Crow-turned-Rooster Keenan Ramsey, whom he restricted to just seven disposals and zero goals in the final round of the home and away season.

At 192cm and 89kg, Highmore is big and strong enough to handle most key forwards, but his athleticism has also enabled him to play on medium-sized opponents at various times. Highmore is not simply a shut-down defender, but one who can also provide plenty of rebound thanks to his neat skillset and sound athletic profile. The 22-year-old was trusted with the kick-in duties on several occasions throughout the season and showed he could not only make good decisions with ball in-hand, but back his skills to hit targets which some tall defenders simply wouldn’t attempt. He finished the year with a disposal efficiency of 79% from 12 games.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

In our best 22 and should’ve played in the preliminary final last year instead of Marsh

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Thought he looked rusty/over anxious early. First 2 or 3 disposals turned the ball over. No questioning endeavour but. Would be surprised to the point of disappointment if he played round 1 if Longy was fit as it would mean Ben has gone backwards. Jimmy is a depth player now I think as our list has gone past him.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

My son’s favourite player! Loves the name jimmy!! Was tough last year telling him every week he wasn’t playing... I need him in there as my son is at a very influenceable age surrounded by tigers and cats fans at school!

I like jimmy, as bm has said before, hard as a cats head! Good tassie boy too.. and seems like a genuine bloke.

Loses out to a few like him sin our side on foot skills but would be a regular hbf any many sides..we just have lots of them.

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Mon 08 Mar 2021 6:07pm My son’s favourite player! Loves the name jimmy!! Was tough last year telling him every week he wasn’t playing... I need him in there as my son is at a very impressionable age surrounded by tigers and cats fans at school!

I like jimmy, as bm has said before, hard as a cats head! Good tassie boy too.. and seems like a genuine bloke.

Loses out to a few like him sin our side on foot skills but would be a regular hbf any many sides..we just have lots of them.

#1 Ryder fan
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Webster plays every game when he's fit.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprised at how highly he's rated on here. I'm in the minority. I think people forget how far he fell away in a short space of time.

He's loose with his defensive duties, seems a "step behind" the play, makes bad decisions under pressure. Any half-smart player can turn him inside out; I got so tired of seeing it and I think the coaches did, too.

He's always struck me are fairly carefree and easy-going, which is a great habit to have in life generally, but not if you're hoping to be an AFL-standard defender.

Granted, he's a reasonable kick, when not under pressure, but how often does that happen in 2021?

This is his last chance. He has to knuckle down. The farm, the motorbikes, telling yarns at the local pub and Tasmanian life will always be there for Jimmy; a serious footy career is about to slip away if he doesn't.

Paton is down, Roberton is gone - by golly, go and grab it Jimmy and become a tough, accountable defender who is a step ahead of the play. We need it more than ever.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Fri 12 Mar 2021 10:41pm I'm surprised at how highly he's rated on here. I'm in the minority. I think people forget how far he fell away in a short space of time.

He's loose with his defensive duties, seems a "step behind" the play, makes bad decisions under pressure. Any half-smart player can turn him inside out; I got so tired of seeing it and I think the coaches did, too.

He's always struck me are fairly carefree and easy-going, which is a great habit to have in life generally, but not if you're hoping to be an AFL-standard defender.

Granted, he's a reasonable kick, when not under pressure, but how often does that happen in 2021?

This is his last chance. He has to knuckle down. The farm, the motorbikes, telling yarns at the local pub and Tasmanian life will always be there for Jimmy; a serious footy career is about to slip away if he doesn't.

Paton is down, Roberton is gone - by golly, go and grab it Jimmy and become a tough, accountable defender who is a step ahead of the play. We need it more than ever.
Could not agree more.

To add to this... felt that his performance in the prac match vs Carlton has been glorified bordering on shamelessly. He was ok... loose for a defender, not overly damaging by foot or driving play, 15min into the 3/4 gifted Silvagni a goal by falling over whilst running in a straight line at 70%... new it was him immediately because it’s a feature of his game

Boggles my mind that though he has played on medium to smaller sized players... people think it’s a good idea. Is not nearly agile or fast enough to go with them... not damaging enough to concede the odd goal and hurt them the other way... not good at zoning in a team defence

Webster’s only viable role currently is to play on someone about his height or taller that is slower then him try to get loose ball. Ultimately I think that unless he drastically improves his work rate there’s not a spot for him.

Easily prefer Long even though I don’t really think they’re in direct competition. Ben makes mistakes but works harder, takes more risks but also takes the game on