Jack Bytel? How good? 2021. Opinions?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Bytel? How good? 2021. Opinions?

Toy Saint wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 11:01pm I'm keen to see Luke Dunstan in the opening line up
Good point.

How many people, if you had to bet your house, dog or dingy or it, would say 4 points against GWS would be easier to get with Dunstan rather than Bytel in the team?

Fair dinkum, if it is just one game...March 21st. Dunstan or Bytel?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Billings Method
Club Player

B.M wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 9:53pm Speaking of self appointed experts?

Aren’t you one?
Thanks teach, 🙄.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 11:50pm
Toy Saint wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 11:01pm I'm keen to see Luke Dunstan in the opening line up
Good point.

How many people, if you had to bet your house, dog or dingy or it, would say 4 points against GWS would be easier to get with Dunstan rather than Bytel in the team?

Fair dinkum, if it is just one game...March 21st. Dunstan or Bytel?
Probably Dunstan based on proven performance at the elite level and matchups against the GWS midfiled.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 1:41pm I think his best opportunity to crack into the side will be round 1 and 2 based on Dan and Brad sitting in the stands. If he isn't selected by round 3 I'd say he is going to have a real fight on his hands if all our first choice top liners are fit and firing.

What we need is for him to make a compelling argument for selection when our best midfielders are in fact fit and firing. If he can't do that in 2021 then it will start to look like all the hype was just hype.

He has a real challenge ahead making it into the best 22, is he good enough is a question that will only be answered in about 10 to 20 weeks time.

He is 20.

Roughly 6 to 7 years off the peak of his powers and he had a delayed start to his AFL career due to his back injury.

If all we see is glimpses in 21 that is enough for me, I think we'll see slightly more than that though.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

nostalgicsaint wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021 7:21am
Vortex wrote: Wed 10 Mar 2021 1:41pm I think his best opportunity to crack into the side will be round 1 and 2 based on Dan and Brad sitting in the stands. If he isn't selected by round 3 I'd say he is going to have a real fight on his hands if all our first choice top liners are fit and firing.

What we need is for him to make a compelling argument for selection when our best midfielders are in fact fit and firing. If he can't do that in 2021 then it will start to look like all the hype was just hype.

He has a real challenge ahead making it into the best 22, is he good enough is a question that will only be answered in about 10 to 20 weeks time.

He is 20.

Roughly 6 to 7 years off the peak of his powers and he had a delayed start to his AFL career due to his back injury.

If all we see is glimpses in 21 that is enough for me, I think we'll see slightly more than that though.
Absolutely. I think the expectation is that he will become A grade almost from his first game but if he doesn't then all the signs are there that he could eventually be a best 22 player. That's still a fairly good achievement in the sport. I hope he is A grade becuase this list is still short a couple of stars.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if you’re bagging my apparent profession?!

If you are, I think that’s a bit of a slap in the face for teachers who do a pretty good job. Especially in this day and age.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

If he doesn’t play seniors he will rack up the possessions in the VFL and force his way in at some point.

The Billings Method
Club Player

B.M wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021 10:26am Not sure if you’re bagging my apparent profession?!

If you are, I think that’s a bit of a slap in the face for teachers who do a pretty good job. Especially in this day and age.
No, not your profession, just you. You remind me of those teachers who, once a student dared to contradict them, would then look for opportunities to take cheap shots. They'd even create situations where they could exert their "power". Pathetic, really.

A character and behavioural flaw in them. Most teachers do a good job. Some don't. BTW I have you on the foe list. I suggest you do the same with me.

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on a poster>

Please note the rule: Any post that negatively relates to or references, or baits (directly or indirectly) another poster, or posters, or group of posters in the Saintsational Fan Forum or leads to bickering to the level of an ongoing dispute, will be deemed a breach of rules and the penalty will be either a 1 DAY BAN or 1 WEEK BAN.

If alcohol can damage your short term memory, imagine what damage alcohol could do.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not referring to anyone on here but some teachers (not taking about you K) do love to teach though, even outside the classroom. They really need to take that hat off when they are outside the classroom. It’s just too much. :)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021 9:24pm Not referring to anyone on here but some teachers (not taking about you K) do love to teach though, even outside the classroom. They really need to take that hat off when they are outside the classroom. It’s just too much. :)
Yeah Pav my wife is a teacher & when we have teacher friends over & they start talking school I give them 1 warning keep talking school or I'm going to the pub & it usually works . I know they do a great job & there is no way I would or could be a teacher but yeah I know what you mean :wink:

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Top Ten in our B&F.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Thu 11 Mar 2021 9:24pm Not referring to anyone on here but some teachers (not taking about you K) do love to teach though, even outside the classroom. They really need to take that hat off when they are outside the classroom. It’s just too much. :)
what about coaches? In my experience coaches always get pigeonholed, and if they've coached professionally they are continually hit up to coach social games, Auskick, school games, etc.

Doctors get hassled at parties to offer advice, etc etc.

Off duty cops have to come to the aid of people on public transport.

Mechanics, can you help me with my car, she's playing up, etc etc.

Anyway, I reckon Bytel could be THE astute pick up of the last couple of seasons.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
The Barometer
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Fri 12 Mar 2021 9:16pm
what about coaches? In my experience coaches always get pigeonholed, and if they've coached professionally they are continually hit up to coach social games, Auskick, school games, etc.

Doctors get hassled at parties to offer advice, etc etc.

Off duty cops have to come to the aid of people on public transport.

Mechanics, can you help me with my car, she's playing up, etc etc.

Anyway, I reckon Bytel could be THE astute pick up of the last couple of seasons.
Some get sort out because they have expertise. Some preach because they think they have expertise.
Anyhoo, agree that Bytel could be a really inspired pick and has shown glimpses of the type of mid we have needed but that we have not drafted for a long time.

Saintmike65
Club Player

Given we’ll be missing Crouch and Hannebery, surely Bytel is in the conversation for round 1.
He seems to building nicely, having played well against North & prominent with limited game time against Carlton.
Apparently he got a lot of the footy in yesterday’s scratch match.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't seem as good as Rowell; is probably better than Zac Fisher. Very early WIP. Good team player. We seem to have a lot of good players with few match winners/X-factors: Steele, possibly Battle? Clark. However its a team game and we are developing into a very good one. Hope Jack the Bytel continues his development as well.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Sat 13 Mar 2021 8:55am He doesn't seem as good as Rowell
High bar there, as virtually no one would be ;)

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....