33 points down and we win by 20. You cannot be serious

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

33 points down and we win by 20. You cannot be serious

Ok. It is seldom you  can say your season is defined by a single victory. But today you can.  Coming  of age, fight back of fightbacks. Call it what you want  it is all true.

I could not be happier to see Hill, Crouch, Butler, Bytel and Mackenzie stand up. Great to have the prospect back playing again. We needed him. He and Jake did a great job against the AFL's best ruckman.

Get out your book of cliches to describe this win and I will match you times two. We have established the template. For every game we play. Forever.

Seriously.  33 points down at 3/4 time and we win by 20. Pull the other one. And we did it by relentless pressure.

Now that is making a rod for your own back. The players have no excuses because if we play like that we are unbeatable.

A big call?

Nah. No AFL team could handle the pressure we applied.

At times we were terrible, we let them score off just about every forward entry the WCE made. We let them get away. But I have never seen us hunt down an opposition like we did today. Never in the half century I've spent following  this footy club. We've threatened to do it in the past but today we were a completely different footy team. We put West Coast to the sword. We demoralised them.

It's pretty simple. Today we proved we are good enough.  If you did it once you can do it again. One thing is certain. If we do, we will win a premiership. The self belief this team would have after today's win, must be huge.

Our season is back on track and it could not be more emphatic.
Last edited by damienc on Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:51am, edited 3 times in total.

carn_sainter
Club Player

Re: 33 points down and we win by 20. You cannot be serious

damienc wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:28am Get out your book of cliches to describe this win and I will match you times two. We have established the template. For ever game we play. Forever.

Seriously.  33 points down at 3/4 time and we win by 20. Pull the other one. And we did it by relentless pressure.

At times we were terrible, we let them score off just about every forward entry the made. We let them get away. But I have never seen us hunt down an opposition like we did today. Never in the half century I've spent following  this footy club. We've threatened to do it in the past but today we were a completely different footy team. We put West Coast to sword. We demoralised them.
Being down by 33 points should not be part of any template for success. Being terrible at times and giving up easy scores also should not be part of any template for success.

I haven't watched the game, so this isn't a snide comment - it's a legitimate question. Why were we down by so much? What were we doing or not doing to get a hiding to that point? Did we only play a half?

My concern is that a good 45 minutes will allow us to gloss over a poor 75 minutes. We still need to execute for four quarters to be any good - something we haven't done yet after 4 rounds.

Glad we won but far from convinced that we've worked out anything.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Need at least two more wins in a row to atone for The Game That Will Live in Infamy.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:33am
damienc wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:28am Get out your book of cliches to describe this win and I will match you times two. We have established the template. For ever game we play. Forever.

At times we were terrible, we let them score off just about every forward entry the made. We let them get away. But I have never seen us hunt down an opposition like we did today. Never in the half century I've spent following  this footy club. We've threatened to do it in the past but today we were a completely different footy team. We put West Coast to sword. We demoralised them.
Being down by 33 points should not be part of any template for success. Being terrible at times and giving up easy scores also should not be part of any template for success.

I haven't watched the game, so this isn't a snide comment - it's a legitimate question. Why were we down by so much? What were we doing or not doing to get a hiding to that point? Did we only play a half?

My concern is that a good 45 minutes will allow us to gloss over a poor 75 minutes. We still need to execute for four quarters to be any good - something we haven't done yet after 4 rounds.

You will have to watch the game. We TRIED so much harder than WCE all day. It wasn't pretty, but it was pretty bloody inspiring.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

At half time, despite being five goals in arrears, we had outpointed them on all of the stats that matter (contested possessions, inside 50s, tackles, etc) except for free kicks. Frees getting gifted in the centre time and again, injured players that couldn't get up (and having to leave the field afterwards for attention) having 50 metre penalties awarded against them for not giving the footy back fast enough, etc (I'm not blaming umpires here BTW, merely giving a reason). That and they never missed. We kept coming at them, but they were getting the rub of the green.
But our intensity wore them down in the end. If we'd kicked straight it would have been a 6 goal win instead of 20 points.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

What impressed me most was when the pressure valve went off the scale the Eagles didn't just start to make mistakes - they capitulated.

We came out fighting after half time but things still weren't going our way. Then Dan Butler decided to step up with ten minutes of brilliant play, ferocious tackling and attack on the ball. That set our pattern to the remainder of the game. Chaos ball is the game we play best. Trusting your teammates to be where you are kicking the ball rather than looking down the ground for them to lead. And it worked brilliantly.

Saint supporter since '62
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Well it was hard not to think that game was always going to be season defining and ironically it looks like it has been in so many ways. The Jekyll and Hyde personality that we seem to have developed was not only evident across the Dons and WCE games, but also across the halves yesterday.

Who are you St Kilda, what do you stand for?

Ironically also for the Eagles that game could be seen as season defining for them, they turned their toes up mid-flight which is highly unusual for them. I was starting to think our win against GWS said more about them than us and time will tell if yesterdays’ game says more about the Eagles than us. I feel there is a fragility in the mindset of our list because clearly, we have the talent but presently our commitment seems to flicker.

DMac, let's talk about him.

He is so disliked on the socials, but he is well respected at the club. I know many internet warriors think he wasn't deserving of his last contract offer and link their hatred for him with their hatred for Richo, subconsciously or otherwise but I really hope he can prove a point this season. I love it when a player can do that, it is probably the single most satisfying feeling you can get in this sport, almost as satisfying as watching a player debut and develop into a star.

Come on Dunny, you are next.

And a special shout out to Jimmy Webster.

Crossy66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 8:44am Well it was hard not to think that game was always going to be season defining and ironically it looks like it has been in so many ways. The Jekyll and Hyde personality that we seem to have developed was not only evident across the Dons and WCE games, but also across the halves yesterday.

Who are you St Kilda, what do you stand for?

Ironically also for the Eagles that game could be seen as season defining for them, they turned their toes up mid-flight which is highly unusual for them. I was starting to think our win against GWS said more about them than us and time will tell if yesterdays’ game says more about the Eagles than us. I feel there is a fragility in the mindset of our list because clearly, we have the talent but presently our commitment seems to flicker.

DMac, let's talk about him.

He is so disliked on the socials, but he is well respected at the club. I know many internet warriors think he wasn't deserving of his last contract offer and link their hatred for him with their hatred for Richo, subconsciously or otherwise but I really hope he can prove a point this season. I love it when a player can do that, it is probably the single most satisfying feeling you can get in this sport, almost as satisfying as watching a player debut and develop into a star.

Come on Dunny, you are next.

And a special shout out to Jimmy Webster.
Great post

ace
Saintsational Legend

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 8:44am DMac, let's talk about him.

I don’t remember him being that manic or quick. He swooped from nowhere with that tackle, The Eagles guy never knew what hit him. Very impressive.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:21am

I don’t remember him being that manic or quick. He swooped from nowhere with that tackle, The Eagles guy never knew what hit him. Very impressive.
I think manic and quick has always been his one wood.

damienc
Club Player

With the greatest respect to your good self you really need to watch this game. The template I am talking about is to kick 8 unanswered goals against a high quality opponent and win the match comfortably. You are right. We are a big work in progress. But we have the DNA to take us all the way. We proved it today. WCE is one of the best teams in the AFL. We destroyed them. Mentally and physically. I am still struggling to get my head around it if I am honest.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

That second half should set the standard for the effort required for the rest of the year. Pretty simple.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
damienc
Club Player

One final point. There is not one Saints supporter on planet earth who thought we could win against WCE, 33 points in arrears.

Our best case scenario would be to make the defeat respectable in terms of margin.

After we did the impossible, the players were not dead on their feet. They still had petrol in the tank.

So my next question, what is this team truly capable of? The answer could be both frightening for other teams and exhilarating for supporters.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:21am

And the turning point in the game.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 11:18am One final point. There is not one Saints supporter on planet earth who thought we could win against WCE, 33 points in arrears.

Our best case scenario would be to make the defeat respectable in terms of margin.

After we did the impossible, the players were not dead on their feet. They still had petrol in the tank.

So my next question, what is this team truly capable of? The answer could be both frightening for other teams and exhilarating for supporters.
:wink:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:48am That second half should set the standard for the effort required for the rest of the year. Pretty simple.
This is all

Let’s face it we lack class finishers but last season we had pressure and no side handles that level of pressure week.

EVERY player bought into applying pressure that’s the non negotiable every week bring that we are in most games

“Yeah….nah””
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Season defining win and didnt we need it - brilliant!

ace
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 10:21am I don’t remember him being that manic or quick. He swooped from nowhere with that tackle, The Eagles guy never knew what hit him. Very impressive.
That was Jeremy McGovern
Not so happy with the ball at his feet instead of in the air.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
chook23
Saintsational Legend

This is not a knock

Our pressure for last 10 mins of third and last quarter

was like a pack of wild dogs during a feeding frenzy......

That level is impossible to maintain all game every game

It is OUR lowest level that needs to consistently come up.

A GREAT fightback though......

a human can not maintain that level though but when it happens it is great to watch....

If only it could be bottled and produced at will......

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

:P
chook23 wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:06pm This is not a knock

Our pressure for last 10 mins of third and last quarter

was like a pack of wild dogs during a feeding frenzy......

That level is impossible to maintain all game every game

It is OUR lowest level that needs to consistently come up.

A GREAT fightback though......

a human can not maintain that level though but when it happens it is great to watch....

If only it could be bottled and produced at will......
Spot on. Most of the time I think you have to try smarter, not harder.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

+35 at ground level had a lot to do with the win. I can't remember the last time we dominated the ground like that. The top 5 ground ball winners were all from our side - Steele 13; Billings 10; Crouch 10; Jones 10; Bytel 9. The Eagles best had 7. It's a lot easier for guys like Butler and Hill to have an impact when we're winning the ball rather than chasing and defending. That was what we got Crouch for and Jones had one of the better games of his career (10 clearances as well).

The question is, can we back that up?

Yeah nah pleasing positive
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 11:18am One final point. There is not one Saints supporter on planet earth who thought we could win against WCE, 33 points in arrears.

I thought we were a slight chance to be honest.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:30pm

I thought we were a slight chance to be honest.
I looked at my wife just before 3/4 time, she was off to get fish and chips and I said, you might want to wait 30mins, we are going to win this.

damienc
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Sun 11 Apr 2021 1:26pm +35 at ground level had a lot to do with the win. I can't remember the last time we dominated the ground like that. The top 5 ground ball winners were all from our side - Steele 13; Billings 10; Crouch 10; Jones 10; Bytel 9. The Eagles best had 7. It's a lot easier for guys like Butler and Hill to have an impact when we're winning the ball rather than chasing and defending. That was what we got Crouch for and Jones had one of the better games of his career (10 clearances as well).

The question is, can we back that up?
If we won't or don't, then we have no excuses and nowhere to hide. The players I mean. Because can't is no longer a reason because we now know they can.