What can we do about our goal kicking?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: What can we do about our goal kicking?

I still don’t know why people think getting a former gun to tell someone how to do it... is the answer

Doesn’t work that way

Otherwise I’d be a lot better at golf than I am, because I get lessons from a pro.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:52pm I still don’t know why people think getting a former gun to tell someone how to do it... is the answer

Doesn’t work that way

Otherwise I’d be a lot better at golf than I am, because I get lessons from a pro.
Yep give us the answer oh wise one
So....don’t get someone who may have done it well to offer any help... just get him to pick a crowd target and kick through ?
It’s just that simple isn’t it???
FMD

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Pay for goals kicked from set shots.
Penalties for goals missed from set shots.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Practice, practice and practice

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 8:33pm Practice, practice and practice
Not just any practice though, it has to be correct practice.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 8:55pm
magnifisaint wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 8:33pm Practice, practice and practice
Not just any practice though, it has to be correct practice.
Well they practice until the ball continuously goes through the big sticks. Don't stop until you can do it blindfolded.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you reckon Lloyd, Lockett, Walker, Fevola would have magical advice?

That would transform someone??

Why not get Marc Holt or Simon Goosey or George Gorozidies???
They kicked goals for fun... in tough suburban conditions... surely they could make Max kick like them?!

Max needs some technical assistance. Yes, but a hell of a lot of work on the mental side of it!
You can tell he’s not confident when he walks back off the mark.

Great finishers don’t think about missing!!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 9:23pm Do you reckon Lloyd, Lockett, Walker, Fevola would have magical advice?

That would transform someone??

Why not get Marc Holt or Simon Goosey or George Gorozidies???
They kicked goals for fun... in tough suburban conditions... surely they could make Max kick like them?!

Max needs some technical assistance. Yes, but a hell of a lot of work on the mental side of it!
You can tell he’s not confident when he walks back off the mark.

Great finishers don’t think about missing!!!
And successful goal kickers like Loyd who’ve been under that pressure couldn’t help on that side of the game also??

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm sure the technical assistance, followed by practise to create muscle memory would take care of the mental aspect.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No

They are not sports psychologists

They dealt with the pressure their way, perhaps they didn’t feel pressure (everyone is different and function better at different arousal levels)

Max needs to work out what mindset works for him, but what we do know is that it’s not working atm

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Not necessarily

Great golfers, like Open winner IBF play for years, are elite golfers and develop yips.

It’s fear of a negative outcome, that can be crippling and rears its head under pressure
Practice doesn’t always fix this as there is no real pressure

Club Player

PA 8-1 and Dogs 8-2.
Slotting them from everywhere.
We were 0-10.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Big contested mark from Bruce and converted from 50

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

They are simply not good enough to kick goals consistently like other teams. Goal kicking is a skill and our players obviously can’t execute when needed and it won’t be changing anytime soon. The sooner everyone accepts this the happier you will be.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Peter Hudson did a bit of kick to kick with Plugger one day at half time to get him over his yips.

Plugger then came out in the second half and got us over the line (just) against Carlton that day.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Winmore
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 7:52pm I still don’t know why people think getting a former gun to tell someone how to do it... is the answer

Doesn’t work that way
It seemed to work when Buckets was tutored by Peter Hudson. Loewe was totally inept and then became one of the most accurate in the league.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Interesting take.

Not sure Loewe was ever the best in the league?

He improved from hopeless to reliable from a short distance

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 10:39pm They are simply not good enough to kick goals consistently like other teams. Goal kicking is a skill and our players obviously can’t execute when needed and it won’t be changing anytime soon. The sooner everyone accepts this the happier you will be.
Some truth in this found the below from Malevu on BF makes very valid points re our foot skills in general

We need to face up to the fact that we are simply a poor kicking team in general. Too many missed targets around the ground. Is it any wonder then that we can't kick a clutch goal under pressure ? It's not rocket science.

Look at last week. We butchered the ball inside 50 against the Suns and turned a comfortable win into a hard fought one. Because we won the game the skill factor gets overlooked till next week.

The only elite kick in the team is Clark. After that it's probably Hill and maybe Butler but they've both had their bad days recently.

Last year the goal kicking was camouflaged by us getting so many easy goals out the back to Butler and Lonie etc.

Unfortunately, the problem is not going away till we recruit more skilled types. Look at the the guys who are out of the team. Gears, Hanners, Gresh, Jones, Paton. Would you put your life on any of them kicking a goal from 40m out to win us a game ? What's the solution ? Bring in Dunstan lol.

It's just an area we are sub standard in and at it's worst it will cost us games we would've otherwise have won. Last night was clearly an example.

Max clearly has a mental issue with his kicking. The guy is normally a good field kick but has no confidence or system lining up for goal. At least his case is fixable. Some of the others are stuck with their lot for the rest of their footy lives.

It's up to our recruiters to find more gems like Clark if we want to properly resolve the issue.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote: Sat 15 May 2021 12:21pm Watch King kick from 50 on a 45 degree ang and he’ll get closer than 30 out directly in front.
It’s the same reason many golfers would far prefer to stand over an eight-footer than a three-footer.

You’re not necessarily expecting or expected to make an eight-footer, so you hit through your putt confidently. If it doesn’t drop ... well it was a speculative shot anyway.

A three-footer is a different beast altogether. You are expected to make that every time. The pressure is on, so you tentatively stab at the ball rather than hitting THROUGH it,

Yes it’s mental or can become mental, but I prefer to think of it in terms of technique that doesn’t stand up to pressure. That makes it easier to fix.

So a couple of fundamentals. Take dead aim. Kick/hit through. You are not going to get them all ... no one does. But it helps.