Cupboard is bare.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cupboard is bare.

https://www.saints.com.au/news/946329/- ... nversation

"It threw some of our plans out': Injury blows influence selection conversation

St Kilda’s injury concerns have deepened with four players going down with short-term setbacks during yesterday’s training session.
By Chris Nice - 4 hrs ago
At a glance:

Brett Ratten says the club's recent injury blows have influenced the selection conversation for Round 11.
Hunter Clark, James Frawley, Shaun McKernan and Dean Kent have gone down with short-term setbacks, with three of the Saints' five changes this weekend forced through injury.
Luke Dunstan, Mason Wood, Nick Cofffield and debutant Oscar Clavarino come into the side to face North Melbourne.

Senior coach Brett Ratten says St Kilda's most recent injury blows have had a noticeable impact on the selection conversation for Round 11.

Hunter Clark (groin), James Frawley (shoulder), Shaun McKernan (toe) and Dean Kent (concussion) were all brought down during yesterday morning’s main training session, placing a strain on a side looking to respond after last week’s triple-figure defeat to the Western Bulldogs.

The Saints swung five changes ahead of Saturday's match with North Melbourne, with three forced through injury.
Together We Rise: Become a 2021 Member today!

10:55 Mins
Published 3 hrs ago
'It's about being a consistent team': Ratten ahead of Round 11

Senior Coach Brett Ratten spoke to the media this morning ahead of our Round 11 clash against North Melbourne

“It probably threw some of our plans out,” Ratten said at this morning’s press conference.

“The magnets yesterday afternoon got thrown around and we had to change a few things, but we went through that (based) on the best available group. We've got three out players outside of our emergencies available.

“There’s been conversations around people’s form and what they’ve done so far, and probably a little bit like our season it’s been inconsistent.

It’s easy to say ‘let’s just make all these changes’, but when we’re trying to win the game – which we want to do – and address that performance that we had, sometimes you give players the opportunity to respond.

- Brett Ratten

“Some of the players that we rely on or have relied on are in that space, so there’s been some harder conversations this week about making sure their performance is to the level, otherwise maybe they are on their last chance before they get put out of the team.”

Consistent VFL form from Luke Dunstan and Mason Wood have been rewarded with senior berths, while Nick Coffield has been recalled to join debutant Oscar Clavarino in defence.

Outside of this week’s emergencies, St Kilda has Category B ruckman Sam Alabakis, draftee Matthew Allison and second-year Saint Leo Connolly in reserve.

Bytel, Jack Lonie, Ben Long and Paul Hunter remain on standby for Round 11.

Darragh Joyce (concussion) has also been added to the casualty ward, which includes Rowan Marshall (plantar fascia), Zak Jones (quad), Dan Hannebery (calf), Jade Gresham (Achilles, season), Ben Paton (leg, season) and Jake Carlisle (back, season).

Ratten says the Saints “dug a lot deeper” into why the club finds itself at a 4-6 tally after finishing fifth last season, with four of those defeats coming in excess of 50 points.

Both St Kilda and North Melbourne will be determined to bounce back this weekend after coming off respective drubbings in Round 10, the latter by 72 points at the hands of Essendon.

We’ve played some alright football this year, but when we’ve fallen away, we’ve fallen away badly,” Ratten said.

“We had those conversations over a few days, actually.

“It was a harder conversation, but for us to be a better team and a consistent team – and that’s what we’re after – we have to address this.”
Last edited by saynta on Fri 28 May 2021 7:08pm, edited 3 times in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cupboard is bare.

If I hear him mention last year in a press conference... I’ll fair dinkum spew up!!!

Last year is gone! It was a flash in the pan!!! Some teams weren’t even interested!!!

This season we haven’t backed it up, and proven we are a good side... so we are not!!!

Stop fkn going on about last year, we won one final... big fkn deal!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

We knew we weren't top four material at the start of the year, so to have the injuries we've had to key players puts us down a few rungs on the ladder. It's not catastrophic, but yeah, we are a middling team with very few emerging stars. Against Geelong we were very good and blew it with bad kicking, but hen we don't turn up to play against the Dogs. It's part mental, part fitness ( something went awry during pre-season) and part injuries.

Our best line up can beat just about anyone. The problem is that we can afford two or three of our best 22 missing, but when it's between 5 and 7 as it's been for most of our games so far, we simply don't have the depth to cover it

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I thought we recruited for depth??

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I hope Ratts gets to see out his coaching contract, i'd hate to see the club panic at some point and give him the Heave Ho.

I also hope the club doesn't extend his contract, the situation he finds himself in has him floundering, he is now talking in riddles.

Which is not pleasing.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 6:01pm I hope Ratts gets to see out his coaching contract, i'd hate to see the club panic at some point and give him the Heave Ho.

I also hope the club doesn't extend his contract, the situation he finds himself in has him floundering, he is now talking in riddles.

Which is not pleasing.
You can't blame Ratts for the injuries. After the Emergencies we only had three kids left.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 7:10pm
Wayne42 wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 6:01pm I hope Ratts gets to see out his coaching contract, i'd hate to see the club panic at some point and give him the Heave Ho.

Which is not pleasing.
You can't blame Ratts for the injuries. After the Emergencies we only had three kids left.
It's all a bit dire.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
freely
SS Hall of Fame

He could've dropped hill instead of Byrnes and butler instead of lonie. That would make a statement. What he's actually done has just made a wet fart.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

freely wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 7:27pm He could've dropped hill instead of Byrnes and butler instead of lonie. That would make a statement. What he's actually done has just made a wet fart.
Hill has been given plenty of chances to show what the club hoped he could do.
Bytel (not Byrnes) is young, hungry, needs consistent games to learn, as he is the future. Hill is lazy and not hungry (unless it's for that paycheque)

Butler to VFL to regain touch. With less pressure, just getting back to basics

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Byrnes is still in the side. He wasn't dropped

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Connolly could have come in for Hill, but perhaps they thought they had made enough changes?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 9:38pm I reckon Connolly could have come in for Hill, but perhaps they thought they had made enough changes?
That' s what they said.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 6:00pm I thought we recruited for depth??
Yes, but those players are now injured except two, one of whom is playing today and one who is state level standard and can't play at AFL level.

You could also argue that Paddy was recruited for depth too and he is our #1 ruckman this season.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 8:49pm Byrnes is still in the side. He wasn't dropped
Yeah - I meant Bytel obviously. So shoot me.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 1:04pm
saynta wrote: Fri 28 May 2021 8:49pm Byrnes is still in the side. He wasn't dropped
Can't. Handed my gun in. :wink:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

15 Hill possessions might help us win.

But some part of me thinks, even if we win, it won’t do much to inspire players to lift themselves out of the malaise.

If we lose however?

Are we being naive to think they’ll somehow completely change the team, promote half a dozen Sandy players and those players become superstars?

I think so.

They have nowhere to go.

The only thing I can think of is changing the coaching set up. I don’t mean fire Ratts, I mean somehow change the way things are done internally.

I still think something good will happen in the second part of the season.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

I see Hanners is back to 2 to 3 weeks, maybe more.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

GT is right, they talked a big game about sending a message, and in the end dropped Lonie and Bytel...

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hill will get 20 cheap possessions running around in the back half, with his teammates winning the contested ball and Hill just getting the soft handball receive

That'll be enough to retain his spot again and Clav and Dunny will be dropped for our game against the Swans

freely
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 2:19pm
freely wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 1:04pm
Can't. Handed my gun in. :wink:
:D

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Well not literally bare. There is stuff at the back, really good things but broken and a number past UBD.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 4:26pm Hill will get 20 cheap possessions running around in the back half, with his teammates winning the contested ball and Hill just getting the soft handball receive

That'll be enough to retain his spot again and Clav and Dunny will be dropped for our game against the Swans
Poor call. No way will dunny be dropped.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

With 11 players injured I doubt any club would be flush with options. Probably just as well Sandy weren’t playing on the weekend, they might have had to ask supporters to pull on a jumper.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 12:07pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 29 May 2021 4:26pm Hill will get 20 cheap possessions running around in the back half, with his teammates winning the contested ball and Hill just getting the soft handball receive

Hay mate, I’m glad I got that prediction wrong. Would love to see Clav get a good run at senior level and hope Dunny continues to have good games for us.

I was critical of Hill before it even became fashionable. I was also critical of what we gave up to get the trade done, and the fact that we we were willing to pay him such a high salary.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 7:30pm
saynta wrote: Sun 30 May 2021 12:07pm

Hay mate, I’m glad I got that prediction wrong. Would love to see Clav get a good run at senior level and hope Dunny continues to have good games for us.

I was critical of Hill before it even became fashionable. I was also critical of what we gave up to get the trade done, and the fact that we we were willing to pay him such a high salary.
Agree with your comments, but I am not a horse. :wink: :wink:

I would swap Hill back for Acres in the blink of an eye. Never liked that trade and we even threw Blake in as the steak knives FFS :roll: