Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Luke Dunstan

Lets call it the way it is.

Luke Dunstan got Brownlow votes in his game against North last year, then got injured are couldn't get back in the team. I was angry he didn't get selected in the run to the finals last year.

He's been on the outer most of this year, and only got a game because we were desperate.

The coach and match committee clearly don't rate him.

The coach has proven to be a bad judge.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He was dropped after the North game last year because his opponent was Best On.

Luke has deficiencies in his game, which is why he’s been a fringe player for 8 years.

Is in very good form at the moment, hope that continues

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 3:45pm Lets call it the way it is.

Luke Dunstan got Brownlow votes in his game against North last year, then got injured are couldn't get back in the team. I was angry he didn't get selected in the run to the finals last year.

He's been on the outer most of this year, and only got a game because we were desperate.

The coach and match committee clearly don't rate him.

The coach has proven to be a bad judge.
I don’t 100% agree.

He’s earned the criticism he copped and I don’t blame them for writing him off.

Most of us (not all) had after waiting for 3 years to transform from a fringe level midfielder in terms of performance to what he’s producing what he’s producing now.

I said this in the match thread… a distinctly Dunstan trait for years would be getting 17 touches to 1/2 time (or a bit less) like he did last night, then finishing with 22 for the match.
Prior to the last the month… he’s just not elevated his game and maintained it to the level he’s shown over the last 4 games

The odd good game is neither here nor there. Lonie, Kent, Dmac etc all have the odd good game. Doesn’t make them top 22 players to persevere with.
Dunstan at the moment is in career best form

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 3:49pm He was dropped after the North game last year because his opponent was Best On.

Luke has deficiencies in his game, which is why he’s been a fringe player for 8 years.

He wasn't dropped after the North game. He our best vs north and had we played next week he would've played. Instead our next game was almost 3 months later and Ratts had designed a game around a quicker midfield during that time and Luke fell out of favour.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Are you telling me

Ratts trained a game plan for a full pre season

Played R1

Then there was a couple of months off where players couldn’t train together as a group

In that time, Ratts devised a new game plan

Trained it for two weeks and then implemented it?!

That’s amazing

Luke was actually dropped because of his ability to run and defend.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Luke didn’t deserve to be dropped after the North game last year, and didn’t deserve to be dropped after the Tigers game this year.

He is often the scapegoat.

Players like Hill, Ross, Geary etc. have had much worse games, sometimes in a row, and never look like getting dropped.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
DJ Higgins
Club Player

Dunstan commitment was never questions, its just his skills let him down especially his disposal by foot. Now he knows he is playing for his future and every AFL game is now a bonus he is really leaving nothing on the table each game and his confidence has shot up. Not sure if he will ever truly move off the fringe list but that is a good thing. If he gets complacent again he will start to slip again. Not sure when his contract is up but keep him on year by year contract going forward and keep the hunger in him

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 3:49pm He was dropped after the North game last year because his opponent was Best On.

I'm just going to leave this here. Not because I think.there is a comparison in skill but considering these blokes are 10 months apart in age, where they were drafted, how they were developed and how Ratten has viewed them both since taking over, I think its a very interesting view of the careers of an 8 year fringe player and a bloke who developed into a B&F winner, an AA player and got third in the brownlow. Last night Luke showed a bit and hopefully he has decided he has a point to prove.
https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_ ... 2=C&type=A.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Do you think Luke could ever be an A Grade mid?

That means in the company of
Martin, Bontempelli, McRae, Pendlebury, Fyfe, Mundy, Dangerfield, Guthrie, Mitchell, Oliver, Petracca, Merrett, Boak, Wines, Shuey

I think Steele is now in that company

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Luke Ball was considered too slow, not enough spread by Ross Lyon who preferred Clint Jones & Robert Eddy. Luke ball went to Collingwood and won a flag.

Luke Dunstan, like Luke Ball is tough in and under, skills which are highly valued by good teams, they are footballers not athletes. Dunstan could easily replace legends like Joel Selwood at Geelong or Cotchin at Richmond.

happy feet
Club Player

Obviously Luke has the ability to be an A grade player. Last night proved this. But to make A grade status he needs to consistently perform like he did last night, or close to it. Luke has proven he can get to A grade but can he stay there? I really hope he does as we need him to perform every week. To me he seems like a good bloke and a great club man.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Are you talking to me? You must not have read my post.

happy feet
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 11:48pm Are you talking to me? You must not have read my post.
No.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 11:57pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 11:48pm Are you talking to me? You must not have read my post.
No.
Thanks. I was not quoting deliberately for the bloke who doesn't quote. The post I responded to followed mine.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 7:38pm Are you telling me

Ratts trained a game plan for a full pre season

Played R1

Then there was a couple of months off where players couldn’t train together as a group

In that time, Ratts devised a new game plan

Trained it for two weeks and then implemented it?!

That’s amazing

Luke was actually dropped because of his ability to run and defend.
no i'm telling you that for ratts it became apparent over the three months that luke wasn't able to play the role he wanted from the midfield. it is decidely deceptive to state he was dropped after the north game when in reality he wasn't picked for a game nearly three months later. he was most unlikely to be dropped after a bog performance if they had played the following week. it's amazing you can't see, or rather, concede that.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I might tip that Luke may just poll Brownlow votes in 2 of his last 5 games. Not bad for a fringe player with 110 games and one seasons worth of injuries in 8 years in the system.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Sat 26 Jun 2021 11:45pm Luke Ball was considered too slow, not enough spread by Ross Lyon who preferred Clint Jones & Robert Eddy. Luke ball went to Collingwood and won a flag.

Luke Dunstan, like Luke Ball is tough in and under, skills which are highly valued by good teams, they are footballers not athletes. Dunstan could easily replace legends like Joel Selwood at Geelong or Cotchin at Richmond.
Carlton were idiots for overlooking him. He should get his manager to also talk to Gold Coast. He's a restricted FA at the end of this year

I don't want to lose him, but Lukey ( like most blokes) needs to set himself up and get a decent contract if he can

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

The goal off the wrong foot was pure magic.
I don't believe it was a fluke, because he put a bit of grunt into it and watched it onto his boot like a golfer watches the club strike the ball.
He only lifted his head afterwards

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

'I think I'm playing on instinct'. An interesting comment in regards to a 'role' he played under Richo for most of his career.
Ratten clearly sent him a message on his output and since his return the instinctive response looks good.
Hopefully things move forward for Luke with 'eyes wide open' for all those who may influence his career.

supersaints2
Club Player

I’ve stood up for Luke for years , there are posters on here claiming he would never be AFL standard and that we should get rid of him from day 1 ( I won’t name them they are because they are so thin skinned, they will report me for baiting like last time !)
In essence what I have said was
He was a kid in a mans body and was used as a blocker or negator ( defensive mid due to his build and his courage)
This led to slow development
He was not as fit has he could be and did lack pace I don’t personally know the reason but to me he always appeared to play “sore” ... Luke Ball anyone??
He’s comment about “playing on instinct now” points to this being a reasonable assumption about his poor development and becoming a one trick pony
He has the talent ...
Much more than some of our famous posters will ever admit , because they can’t accept they may be harsh or even wrong in their judgement

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints2 wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 8:02pm I’ve stood up for Luke for years , there are posters on here claiming he would never be AFL standard and that we should get rid of him from day 1 ( I won’t name them they are because they are so thin skinned, they will report me for baiting like last time !)
He was a kid in a mans body and was used as a blocker or negator ( defensive mid due to his build and his courage)
He was not as fit has he could be and did lack pace I don’t personally know the reason but to me he always appeared to play “sore” ... Luke Ball anyone??
He’s comment about “playing on instinct now” points to this being a reasonable assumption about his poor development and becoming a one trick pony
He has the talent ...
Much more than some of our famous posters will ever admit , because they can’t accept they may be harsh or even wrong in their judgement
Great post mate and oh so true..🐴

happy feet
Club Player

supersaints2 wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 8:02pm I’ve stood up for Luke for years , there are posters on here claiming he would never be AFL standard and that we should get rid of him from day 1 ( I won’t name them they are because they are so thin skinned, they will report me for baiting like last time !)
He has the talent ...
But Mate. B.ut Mate who are you talking about.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We do have to get Jones (and next year Gresham) in the midfield for speed.

Which is why they were using Byrnes inside.

It worked against Richmond in heavy conditions having Steele, Crouch and Dunstan inside, but on the fast track at Marvel, it will be a bit one paced.

Dunstan and Ross coming off the bench give us a really good 4th and 5th

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

He got BOG a few weeks ago at Marvel.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I didn’t say he can’t play well at Marvel

I said a midfield of him, Steele and Crouch would be too one paced on a fast track