Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 9:27pm I didn’t say he can’t play well at Marvel

I said a midfield of him, Steele and Crouch would be too one paced on a fast track
Ross?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross is actually one of the better runners at the club.

Top 5 for endurance
Top 5 for speed

But I agree, he makes it even more similar. Jones and Gresham and Clark are line breakers, you need at least one in the midfield mix.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Foot speed is severely overrated. It’s a nice bonus, but not necessary. The ball will always move quickest thru the air. Plus the difference between a ‘quick’ and ‘slow’ midfielder would be very minor over 10-20 metres.

I’d rather a ‘slow’ player who runs straight down the ground than a ‘quick’ player who runs sideways.

Also good decision making and skills can make a ‘slow’ player look quick, and vice versa.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 10:55pm Ross is actually one of the better runners at the club.

Top 5 for endurance
Top 5 for speed

But I agree, he makes it even more similar. Jones and Gresham and Clark are line breakers, you need at least one in the midfield mix.
You are right..as usual.
I am sick and tired of reading uninformed ignorant comments that Seb is slow. He is f****** not slow and even a novice spectator could work that out if they had ever seen him play live.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 28 Jun 2021 11:55am, edited 1 time in total.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He has a top end speed of 33.9k

Which only sits behind
Hill, Kent, Howard and Jones

He does have a strange running style though? Maybe people mistake that for being slow??

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s more on style. He’s not a line breaking, but I off his opponent type.

I note for example that Gresh and Billings aren’t on that list for speed but they tend to play that style more.

Ross tends to be more in the style of Dunstan, Steele, Crouch etc

And my point was that you can have more than 2 of that type of player in the team.
For example, last year we’d have had all three + Hannebery when fit

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ve seen Ross run out of stoppage a lot, remember though, he generally is an inside mid, therefore the position he plays means he is more often than not in the contest, not on the outside.

I would agree he is not a line breaker, not like Gresham, Clark, Jones.

Billings, who plays on the outside mostly, to me is the one who either lacks pace, or doesn’t use it enough. Good player, but not a power runner … like Hill

Hannebery is one of the best gut runners in the game - probably why his legs are fked

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 11:25pm
B.M wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 10:55pm Ross is actually one of the better runners at the club.

Top 5 for endurance
Top 5 for speed

You are right..as usual.
I am sick and tired of reading uninformed ignorant comments that Seb is slow. Hr is f****** not slow and even a novice spectator could work that out if they had ever seen him play live.
Greg Williams was a noted speedster, wasn't he. I'd rather our players had quick brains and reflexes rather than the ability to run like a started hare.

Saint supporter since '62
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 11:25pm

Top 5 for endurance
Top 5 for speed

You are right..as usual.
I am sick and tired of reading uninformed ignorant comments that Seb is slow. Hr is f****** not slow and even a novice spectator could work that out if they had ever seen him play live.
Greg Williams was a noted speedster, wasn't he. I'd rather our players had quick brains and reflexes rather than the ability to run like a started hare.

Saint supporter since '62
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Ross
Great hands and vision, and a good step - as most lefties do

Ok short kick, lacks penetration by foot, can turn it over under pressure.

Dunstan
Hard inside the contest, good hands and wins the ball really well at stoppage. Lacks a bit of run and spread, particularly defensively (which is why I reckon he’s been given jobs) no question is slow for an AFL mid with average endurance.
Kicking is inconsistent, can absolutely butcher ball at times.
Personally I think his kick/HB ratio should be 1:2
But he actually kicks it a lot, because like most lefties he steps out of congestion easily into space and kicks. In that case he should take the most percentage kick… long to a contest

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Top 5 for endurance
Top 5 for speed

Agree. At least one.

Dunstan’s form, if he can keep it up, may force a reshuffling of the pecking order among our inside players.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 27 Jun 2021 11:53pm
Hannebery is one of the best gut runners in the game - probably why his legs are fked
There's probably another reason why his leg muscles are fked

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I would say Dunstan and Ross are on par foot/hand skills-wise, and the same speed. Dunstan is better on the 'inside' and at stoppages, better tackler, and hits the scoreboard twice as much as Ross.

Dunstan is ahead as a pure midfielder, as is shown by him consistently being started in the centre over Ross. As a HB flanker Ross might gain a bit of ground, but I haven't really seen Dunstan played there. But we have a truckload of HB flankers anyway.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

1-if you think Dunstan is a better skilled player than Ross, you’re watching a different game?!

2-if you think they are equal in running power you are off your rocker!!!

Ross is a top 5 runner at the club
Dunstan is in the bottom 5-10

You know they have data on running ability.

Dunstan is in good Nick at the moment. He is playing as a run with mid/inside mid which is giving him opportunity for good numbers

Ross, has moved out of the middle because out of Crouch and Dunstan he is more flexible due to his running to play as a flanker or Winger

Ross has been amongst StKs best players for 6/7 years in that time Dunstan has been a fringe player, who has been dropped quite a few times.

His best game this year was against Richmond

But do you remember his previous game versus the tigers?

I hope his form continues as it is, and he finishes off the year strongly.

But I don’t judge players on good games, I judge them on their consistent output.

Ross I judge for his output over many years

His 2017 was A Grade

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 6:13pm 1-if you think Dunstan is a better skilled player than Ross, you’re watching a different game?!

Dunstan is in good Nick at the moment. He is playing as a run with mid/inside mid which is giving him opportunity for good numbers

Ross, has moved out of the middle because out of Crouch and Dunstan he is more flexible due to his running to play as a flanker or Winger

Ross has been amongst StKs best players for 6/7 years in that time Dunstan has been a fringe player, who has been dropped quite a few times.

But I don’t judge players on good games, I judge them on their consistent output.

His 2017 was A Grade
Let’s hope now Dunstan is getting games he become more consistent like Seb. He has set a new standard and he need to stay as close to it as possible. Until he does that he is not at the same standard as Seb. But there is an old saying,, you are only as good as your last performance.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 6:13pm 1-if you think Dunstan is a better skilled player than Ross, you’re watching a different game?!

His 2017 was A Grade
1 - where did I say he was better skilled?

2 - what do you mean by ‘running power’? Acceleration? Top speed? Endurance? Beep test? Sprints? Marathons? If there is this data I’d love you to show me where it is. What are their respective 20m times? 40m?

They both look about the same running around contests to me. Though Dunstan manages to catch about twice as many players than Seb…

I’m not too worried about what they were doing 4-5 years ago. Over the last 2 seasons from what I’ve seen Dunstan has more upside than Ross. When was the last time Seb was BOG? Dunstan has done it twice in the last few weeks. Ross got close in the final against Richmond last year, but when else?

And talking about the Tigers game earlier this year, Dunstan was about middle of the pack for us, and how was Ross’s game?

I hope they both play out the year so we get a better understanding of where they’re at. But if Dunstan is given a proper crack and finishes out the year as he has started it, then he is ahead of Seb at that point.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Based on current form Dunstan is producing above average-elite performances and Ross is just average.
Moving forward, beyond 2021, I'm more interested in seeing Connelly and Byrnes developed and strategically, I'd make way with the exclusion of Ross and his strengths and not Dunstan and his.

The Recruit
Club Player

His 2017 was A Grade
2017 was a long time ago

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote: Mon 28 Jun 2021 10:46pm

His 2017 was A Grade
2017 was a long time ago
And the next year his contract was extended and topped up, in anticipation of continued A grade form and consistency.
Since then Ratten, Steele, Crouch and now Dunstan have tempered those expectations and exposed the reality of his B grade status, which is eroding to C grade when compared with better company.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Is Ross a worse player now than 2017?

Or is he just playing a different role??

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 10:38am Is Ross a worse player now than 2017?

Different role with Crouch and Dunstan playing and Steele dominating the centre clearances.

Certainly still a valuable player and definitely not C grade. That is f****** insulting to a club champion.

Who kicked the sealer last Friday night? 8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He is the most underrated player by fans I have ever known at StK in my time supporting.

He is not Bont, he is not Fyfe or Danger. Obviously.

But he is a very good AFL mid, evident by his career to date.

Supporters seem to link him to the AR era and almost blame him for the mediocrity. He was the best mid, so it was his fault StK were average? Strange thinking?? Even his B&Fs were worthless or he didn’t deserve them
Funnily enough, in his best season 2017 where he was in the AA squad we won 11 or 12 games. He AVERAGED around 30 possessions. Polled a lazy 14 Brownlow votes.

Whipping boys are generally players who are limited or underperforming players who supporters can only see faults
Ralph Clarke, Jack Newnes, MAV Weller, Jack Lonie. Amongst others

Seb Ross is the only dual B&F whipping boy in my memory

It’s like supporters want him to be bad

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 11:28am He is the most underrated player by fans I have ever known at StK in my time supporting.

He is not Bont, he is not Fyfe or Danger. Obviously.

But he is a very good AFL mid, evident by his career to date.

Supporters seem to link him to the AR era and almost blame him for the mediocrity. He was the best mid, so it was his fault StK were average? Strange thinking?? Even his B&Fs were worthless or he didn’t deserve them
Funnily enough, in his best season 2017 where he was in the AA squad we won 11 or 12 games. He AVERAGED around 30 possessions. Polled a lazy 14 Brownlow votes.

Whipping boys are generally players who are limited or underperforming players who supporters can only see faults
Ralph Clarke, Jack Newnes, MAV Weller, Jack Lonie. Amongst others

Seb Ross is the only dual B&F whipping boy in my memory

It’s like supporters want him to be bad
To me it's more like those supporters who initially wrote him off are now trying to downgrade his successes to justify their lack of football nous. But everything you say is true all the same. f****** disgusting situation really.

I haven't researched it because I couldn't be stuffed but I wouldn't be surprised if those same supporters who consistently bag Seb, were the same supporters blaming him for our loss against the crows. That would be f****** ironic.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 29 Jun 2021 2:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Ross is pretty much the same footballer. He is just a second string mid in the current list of mids. I guess the opportunity he had to be at most stoppages and centre bounces increased his impact in 2017. His impact now has dropped dramatically. You might say its the role but others seem to be able to impact more in similar roles.
I'm aware of his strengths, they are fine. He is a great athlete, outstanding actually.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 29 Jun 2021 11:02am

Different role with Crouch and Dunstan playing and Steele dominating the centre clearances.

Certainly still a valuable player and definitely not C grade. That is f****** insulting to a club champion.

Who kicked the sealer last Friday night? 8-)
We know who kicked the winner. Wood and Mackenzie play roles too, they are C graders and they also kicked a few crucial goals. Kicked the sealer???? That's a bit of a reach. The game was sealed in the backline.