Good Bye Billings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good Bye Billings

Vortex wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 7:12pm It's got me stuffed how Billlings is considered a leader. He lets the team down in too many important games like yesterday.

Has the very same problem Dunny has, doesn't give 4 quarters on a regular basis.
I guess you'd need to ask the players, they vote and I'm sure the coach ratifies that vote in some way. Obviously not a Saintsational vote.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Maybe because they no a thing or two?

And many fans don’t

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 8:23pm Maybe because they no a thing or two?

And many fans don’t
Yeah, but some do. And surprisingly many of them don’t agree with you.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'm totally baffled by this thread. No way St Kilda should trade him. They will never win out of that trade. You can't blame Billings for the loss or the season the Saints have had.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

That’s from you POV happy feet

What makes you think you’re right?

And do you put yourself in that category of fans who know??

happy feet
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 11:14pm That’s from you POV happy feet

What makes you think you’re right?

And do you put yourself in that category of fans who know??
Read my earlier post Big Mart.

And again, please consider the concept that you are not always correct.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
minneapolis
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Sun 18 Jul 2021 3:04pm If Billings is a free agent and another club is prepared to pay him $200k more per season, our club will have no choice but to let him go. Personally, I don't want him leaving because he's a good player who hits targets and kicks goals, but there's a limit to what you can pay. I hope it doesn't come to that
Cwrc,

he misses more goals than he kicks and missed most of his targets yesterday.

A first round pick of any description will be greatly received.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I totally agree with the OP.

I have said it from when he arrived and got howled down by the masses, but the kid has a heart the size of a 'pea'. It wasnt his fault we lost the Port game, but every game when there is heat on (physicality) he goes missing big time. He was on a huge contract in the past few years and the club simply cant reward players who shirk contests, so he has to go!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I've watched JB since he began with us, perhaps my memory is shot but I'm struggling to remember these contests that he's shirked.

Just because some want to keep saying he does does not make that reality.

Pick something else for credibility's sake, just say he's not the onballer we definitely need / miss OR we cannot afford to be paying so much for a Forward Flanker when we are a middle of the road side OR simply he's not worth the cash for the output OR we have too many smart footballers, we can afford to lose one (???).

Teflon is on the money about money / value, that argument stands up against what we see as holes in our list.

B.M. is also quite right, his stats for a graveyard position are elite.

Personally I think we can't afford to lose him but cannot keep him at any price.

We need to stop making stuff up though to support our beliefs.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 1:13pm I've watched JB since he began with us, perhaps my memory is shot but I'm struggling to remember these contests that he's shirked.
I will wager that same memory will have problems recalling the games Billings grabbed by the scruff of the neck & inspire to get the Saints over the line as well
How bout that game turning pivotal over head contested mark that stopped the oppositions run
I will settle for a match winning goal

The way I see it we have two very well paid players on the wings that rack up possessions looking like superstars because they have plenty of time to dispose playing wide, who dont really influence the game when it counts

Good players - yes - but gee great players dont stuff letting all the good work come undone with a stuff up in the last like Mr Hill

Seeya
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 4:30pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 1:13pm I've watched JB since he began with us, perhaps my memory is shot but I'm struggling to remember these contests that he's shirked.
I will wager that same memory will have problems recalling the games Billings grabbed by the scruff of the neck & inspire to get the Saints over the line as well
How bout that game turning pivotal over head contested mark that stopped the oppositions run
I will settle for a match winning goal

The way I see it we have two very well paid players on the wings that rack up possessions looking like superstars because they have plenty of time to dispose playing wide, who dont really influence the game when it counts

Good players - yes - but gee great players dont stuff letting all the good work come undone with a stuff up in the last like Mr Hill
I've not made up anything to suit a narrative nor have I claimed any of those things you wish my memory to recall. That said, I'm very confident he's played some match winning games. Feel free to tell me about all these contests he's alleged to have shirked.

Interesting that Hill's stuff ups have blown back on Billings for the sake of this thread. Only on Saintsational.

older saint
SS Life Member

2 years ago all we heard was Petracca was lazy and needed to be traded. Then last year it was DeGoey, Billings is our fans version of this.

It is simple really - his value to the side on and off the field is known by those within the walls. While every mug watching TV can have an opinion reality is 90% of them will be off the mark.

Basically a couple questions:
1. Do you want to stay? Yes /No. If YES
2. What contract will you accept.

From there the club assesses the value, terms, likely value to receive if he leaves, hole in the list if he goes, how replaceable and how long to replace .

This will then answer the question of retain or depart. Everything else is White noise

repta
Club Player

Billings appears to be a sook. Bad body language constantly. Doesnt find enough of his own ball.
He may go on to be a better player elsewhere. He can be silky but turns it over far too often. Sometime I think he is short sighted as he can hit an opposition on the chest without another player within 50m of them.

would want something good for him. Touts around for 2 first rounders which I couldnt accept fast enough.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 4:44pm Feel free to tell me about all these contests he's alleged to have shirked.

Interesting that Hill's stuff ups have blown back on Billings for the sake of this thread. Only on Saintsational.
I get that you are fighting the good fight & might feel a little overwhelmed by the volume of posts
but I never claimed he shirked contests & I would never call any afl player "soft" - but at the same time he doesnt really "contest" the oppo players either
Oh "the only on saintsational" comment is misplaced here as all I was doing is point out we have two players on the wing that are very similar

Seeya
takeaway
Club Player

repta wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 5:55pm Billings appears to be a sook. Bad body language constantly. Doesnt find enough of his own ball.
He may go on to be a better player elsewhere. He can be silky but turns it over far too often. Sometime I think he is short sighted as he can hit an opposition on the chest without another player within 50m of them.

would want something good for him. Touts around for 2 first rounders which I couldnt accept fast enough.
Surely not a serious post. I would say Billings would turn the ball over LESS than the majority of the playing list. In fact, that to me would be a criticism of him - he has excellent skills, and should take opponents on more, rather than a quick handball to a close teammate. He would then turn it over more often, for a while, but in doing so would develop his skills and confidence at getting past players and into the clear to use his excellent disposal skills.

2 first rounders? Yeah, right. One compensation pick only.

Keeper for me, we have a shortage of players who use the ball well, and he still gets plenty of the ball, often playing HFF which is a difficult position. Not totally in our hands, he may get an exceptional offer which attracts a 1st round pick, but even then, given our position on the ladder, the compensation pick would be in the teens. Not enough for me, top 10 please, and even then, what do we get? A good young player who takes a few years to develop even if we draft well? Use it as part of getting Ben King? Very unlikely for next year, and not so sure of the wisdom of that move anyway.

I think it can be summarised, if Billings goes, we lose.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 6:33pm
Ghost Like wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 4:44pm Feel free to tell me about all these contests he's alleged to have shirked.

I get that you are fighting the good fight & might feel a little overwhelmed by the volume of posts
but I never claimed he shirked contests & I would never call any afl player "soft" - but at the same time he doesnt really "contest" the oppo players either
Oh "the only on saintsational" comment is misplaced here as all I was doing is point out we have two players on the wing that are very similar
Cheers sunsaint. You didn't claim that, my post was a reference to Impatient Sainter's claim. You jumped in on my response to that claim - I gave plenty of options on why supporters could have a hard on against JB, just stating shirking a contest is a made up reason.

Fair call, re the only on Saintsational but in a thread targeting Billings bringing in Hill's clangers seemed unfair but now I see where you were coming from.

Not overwhelmed, simply bewildered at times & struggling to comprehend some people's reasoning.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

The question has to be can you envisage Billings standing up in a big final and helping us get over the line? He works hard covering huge distances per game, hence his healthy stats. But very few are body on the line contests or a blinding 15 minutes dragging his side over the line.

I am biased because I would be more than happy to roll the dice to trade him and go to the draft with the pick! It sounds harsh but I believe we need to make some tough list decisions to take the next step.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 7:29pm The question has to be can you envisage Billings standing up in a big final and helping us get over the line? He works hard covering huge distances per game, hence his healthy stats. But very few are body on the line contests or a blinding 15 minutes dragging his side over the line.

I am biased because I would be more than happy to roll the dice to trade him and go to the draft with the pick! It sounds harsh but I believe we need to make some tough list decisions to take the next step.
One of the few players in our team who can turn a game off his own boot. He’s done it before so the history is there.
I’ve been frustrated by his consistency but there’s no doubt in my mind he could be the difference in a final on his day

#1 Ryder fan
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:36pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 7:29pm The question has to be can you envisage Billings standing up in a big final and helping us get over the line? He works hard covering huge distances per game, hence his healthy stats. But very few are body on the line contests or a blinding 15 minutes dragging his side over the line.

One of the few players in our team who can turn a game off his own boot. He’s done it before so the history is there.
I’ve been frustrated by his consistency but there’s no doubt in my mind he could be the difference in a final on his day
I can't think of a game where I felt Billings won the game off his own boot. That's with no disrespect to yourself, I'm just unable to come up with a game, maybe you could help me out?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 8:36pm

We all see the game differently. I can recall him kicking the occasional important goal - but never an inspirational act of courage or brilliance. Consequently I would have no troubles with him leaving...particularly if it got us an early draft pick.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

There is a lot of bulls**t written on here

But saying a league footballer has a heart the size of a pea is ridiculous - especially from a keyboard warrior

Billings is not Lenny Hayes - nor does he need to be

For the last time - he’s not an inside mid!!!

Can’t some people actually get that in their head?!

He’s a small HF who gets it 20 times and hopefully sets up and kicks some goals.

We have inside Bulls already, we need other players too
Running Backs, Wingers, HFs, Small Forwards
They all have their place

It’s like people expect every player to be as hard as Jack Steele

I’m the first one to highlight if a player pulls out of a contest (there are few, if any that do)
NEVER seen Billings pull out of a contest - ever

B.M
Saintsational Legend

And what guarantees a draft pick will be any good

He was an early draft pick

And you’re saying he’s no good.

Draft picks are an essential, and early ones are nice if there. But pick number is sometimes overrated
Eg/ Ben Long was 25
Shai Bolten was Pick 29

SaintJohno
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 9:38pm There is a lot of bulls**t written on here

But saying a league footballer has a heart the size of a pea is ridiculous - especially from a keyboard warrior

He’s a small HF who gets it 20 times and hopefully sets up and kicks some goals.

I’m the first one to highlight if a player pulls out of a contest (there are few, if any that do)
You're absolutely right BM, he is that player. How much is that player worth? We'll soon find out, but I don't think the club should go higher than $600K when given the option to match an offer that he will most certainly get.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 9:38pm There is a lot of bulls**t written on here

I don't think there are too many arguing he needs to play like an inside mid or Jack Steele.

You seem to be introducing some contradiction though and it's confusing, can you give some examples of the type of contests he never pulls out of? Sounds like you are describing an inside mid to me and I mostly see Billings running forward of contests to get on the end of distribution.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M reckons there's a lot of bulls**t written on here

Just like Vortex said in his post, don't confuse a player that is playing the role of an inside mid, with the discussion on JB. Billings main issue is that when there is heat, he either fumbles or he gets rid of the footy too early or his disposal is ineffective and he causes turnovers. It's not his job to win the footy at stoppages or at centre clearance but there'll be situations in a game when the footy is loose and the heat is on. He needs to lift in these moments

And...If I was older saint and I was trying to support the pro Billings crowd, I wouldn't be bringing DeGoey or Petracca into the conversation
older saint wrote: Mon 19 Jul 2021 5:26pm 2 years ago all we heard was Petracca was lazy and needed to be traded. Then last year it was DeGoey, Billings is our fans version of this.
Last edited by Scollop on Mon 19 Jul 2021 10:38pm, edited 4 times in total.