Lesser ex-Carlton recruits…

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Lesser ex-Carlton recruits…

Ahead of our game with Carlton this week, The YT algorithm sent me 1992 Round six v Carlton..

Couldn’t help think of some of the many ex Carlton players that came our way…and especially some of the lesser knows like Alex Marcou and Mark Arceri.

It’s fascinating to me that we had so many of them .

Anyone remember Arceri?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Freebird
Club Player

Re: Lesser ex-Carlton recruits…

Try looking at the ex Hawthorn players that also came our way...
We were known as Carlton and Hawthorn seconds for a few years

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Frank Marchesani told me that when Carlton gave him the Khyber it came with an offer of getting him to St.Kilda.
He chose to go to VFA for more financial stability and club went bust during his first season there!

Pretty fair sledge on us, that people would choose VFA before Saints!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 8:40pm Frank Marchesani told me that when Carlton gave him the Khyber it came with an offer of getting him to St.Kilda.
He chose to go to VFA for more financial stability and club went bust during his first season there!

Pretty fair sledge on us, that people would choose VFA before Saints!
Totally unfair!

Serves him right!

We were the barometer of global financial stability, the World bank's credibility stood on our shoulders, the federal Reserve, the Gold Standard, BHP, everyone looked up to St Kilda for financial stewardness in the 1980s.

Freebird
Club Player

Was Essendon the VFA club he played for?

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 9:09pm Was Essendon the VFA club he played for?
I reckon he may have trained with Bombers after his season in the VFA.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 8:22pm Ahead of our game with Carlton this week, The YT algorithm sent me 1992 Round six v Carlton..

Couldn’t help think of some of the many ex Carlton players that came our way…and especially some of the lesser knows like Alex Marcou and Mark Arceri.

Anyone remember Arceri?
I do remember him playing but don't remember too many stand out games , Peter McConville was a good pick up ,WOW Jones was pretty much washed up same as Jezza, Marcou had a decent mullet but didn't have much impact as a player I'm sure there were others I just don't remember so they were either duds or I'm in the early stages of dementia :wink:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ken Sheldon
Spiro Kourkoumelis
Ricky Nixon
Mark Aitken
Ian Muller

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Freebird wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 8:27pm Try looking at the ex Hawthorn players that also came our way...
We had a lot of Hawthorn rejects I remember Geoff Ablett ,Dean Anderson ,Russell Morris, Sean Ralphsmith, Chris Wittman, Mark Scott, Paul Harding, Lawrence Bingham, Ricky Nixon probably missed some but there was a lot

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Big cultural difference. At Carlton it was brown bags of cash in carpark after a win. At Saints it had to be in kind. Free beers at disco, BBQ at Lindsay's....

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:15pm Ken Sheldon
Spiro Kourkoumelis
Ricky Nixon
Mark Aitken
Ian Muller
Thanks mate how could I forget Spiro & Kenny :wink:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 10:59pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 8:22pm Ahead of our game with Carlton this week, The YT algorithm sent me 1992 Round six v Carlton..

Anyone remember Arceri?
I do remember him playing but don't remember too many stand out games , Peter McConville was a good pick up ,WOW Jones was pretty much washed up same as Jezza, Marcou had a decent mullet but didn't have much impact as a player I'm sure there were others I just don't remember so they were either duds or I'm in the early stages of dementia :wink:
Oh please..surely you remember more!! What about Spiro!!
Kourka!!! Kevin Sheldon ! Once the age or herald made a complete St Kilda team out of ex Carlton players..there were loads!!

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This article published in 2002, just before Carltons decline just about sums up the legacies of the respective clubs according to this horrible scum of a reporter…

It’s quite harsh…26 spoons to none, 16 flags to 1 kinda stuff.. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/rev ... duewa.html

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:33pm

Anyone remember Arceri?
Kourka!!! Kevin Sheldon ! Once the age or herald made a complete St Kilda team out of ex Carlton players..there were loads!!
Yeah Mate Pav has stolen your thunder . Check the post before yours it will explain a bit but cheers mate :wink:

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:42pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:33pm

Anyone remember Arceri?
Yeah Mate Pav has stolen your thunder . Check the post before yours it will explain a bit but cheers mate :wink:
Yeah mate. No worries!

Maybe I can only add Sam Rowe…who played one game…

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bangaulegend wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:17pm
Freebird wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 8:27pm Try looking at the ex Hawthorn players that also came our way...
We had a lot of Hawthorn rejects I remember Geoff Ablett ,Dean Anderson ,Russell Morris, Sean Ralphsmith, Chris Wittman, Mark Scott, Paul Harding, Lawrence Bingham, Ricky Nixon probably missed some but there was a lot
Big call stamping 230 gamer Geoff Ablett, Dean Anderson, Russell Morris and Paul Harding as rejects. Yes, Ablett was finished but the other three were good for us. Anderson 67 games and a board member, Morris 66 games an past players pres, Harding 62 games in 3 seasons as an undersized ruckman were all very good for the Saints.

And Mark Scott, part of the Russell Green deal, 34 games and 110 goals when the club was total crap was very undervalued. I remember him booting 9 against Carlton at Moorabbin in 1980 and we still copped a flogging. Naturally, as was the St Kilda way, we cleared him to Fitzroy.

Saint supporter since '62
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 26 Jul 2021 11:56pm
Big call stamping 230 gamer Geoff Ablett, Dean Anderson, Russell Morris and Paul Harding as rejects. Yes, Ablett was finished but the other three were good for us. Anderson 67 games and a board member, Morris 66 games an past players pres, Harding 62 games in 3 seasons as an undersized ruckman were all very good for the Saints.

And Mark Scott, part of the Russell Green deal, 34 games and 110 goals when the club was total crap was very undervalued. I remember him booting 9 against Carlton at Moorabbin in 1980 and we still copped a flogging. Naturally, as was the St Kilda way, we cleared him to Fitzroy.
When I say rejects I mean surplus to their needs at the time not what that they were sh-- through out their careers & I do apologise if that's how others interpreted it

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

bangaulegend wrote: Tue 27 Jul 2021 12:06am

When I say rejects I mean surplus to their needs at the time not what that they were sh-- through out their careers & I do apologise if that's how others interpreted it
No worries. Scott is an interesting case, he only played 3 games for the Hawks. These days you would call him a Jack Steele-like pick up. Our leading goal kicker for two of his three seasons with us when we couldn't buy a goal.

Saint supporter since '62
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Michael Jez yet.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Or Greg Sharpe

PADDLEPOP1000
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Selhurst Saint wrote: Tue 27 Jul 2021 1:05pm I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned Michael Jez yet.

Yes our only Carlton Recruit to never play a game with us.

Just as well I used to watch training back then, otherwise I would never have seen him in action.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
aaron82
Club Player

I believe Mark Arceri may have played at Vic Park the day Nicky & Gilbert ran riot

and that's the bottom line
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Anyone remember Arceri?
I remember a story of Marcou bagging the coach and the team in the toilets one day. Only trouble was the coach, Baldock from memory, was in one of the stalls. Marcou was given the arse.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 27 Jul 2021 12:39am

No worries. Scott is an interesting case, he only played 3 games for the Hawks. These days you would call him a Jack Steele-like pick up. Our leading goal kicker for two of his three seasons with us when we couldn't buy a goal.
The VFL made us give him to Fitzroy if I remember correctly .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Tue 27 Jul 2021 12:39am

The VFL made us give him to Fitzroy if I remember correctly .