Too many players with no impact

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Too many players with no impact

Good effort but too much left to too few . So different to last week when we had a even spread & that makes all the difference IMO. I could single out players but at this stage of the season I can't see the point roll on 2022

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Too many players with no impact

13 players with 11 disposals or less. Only two players with more than 20 disposals.

Incredible. It was excruciating to witness so few players make the effort required when Geelong's players worked so hard to make space, keep the ball and always run to position so an easy kick could relieve the pressure.

They used their work rate to expose our game plan and after getting caught early, put on a masterclass.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 11:16pm 13 players with 11 disposals or less. Only two players with more than 20 disposals.

Incredible. It was excruciating to witness.
I rest my case :(

B.M
Saintsational Legend

They starved us of possessions with uncontested marks

We continued to zone, they dominated possession

They’ve beaten us with this tactic 3 times in a row now

Sam Menegola must love playing us!!!

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Clear example of a top 4 team playing against a bottom 8 team, once they got going they were too good where it counted.

The Scotts definitely dominated the clearances after quarter time.

Hawkins should get 2 weeks for his dog act on Joyce but he'll probably get off with a financial smack.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 11:27pm They starved us of possessions with uncontested marks

We continued to zone, they dominated possession

They’ve beaten us with this tactic 3 times in a row now

Sam Menegola must love playing us!!!
That's not the way I saw it at all. They dominated contested possession. We got smashed at the centre clearances and around the packs. Once Danger and Menegola got on top we got very little supply that was quality. And our backs are too small. Missing either Frawley and Carlisle. I reckon they only started their chipping game with about 5 minutes to go, otherwise the game was played at a reasonable tempo

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 11:58pm Clear example of a top 4 team playing against a bottom 8 team, once they got going they were too good where it counted.

The Scotts definitely dominated the clearances after quarter time.

Hawkins should get 2 weeks for his dog act on Joyce but he'll probably get off with a financial smack.
Agree on Hawkins but those deadshits are a protected species,

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Two comments re above.

Mid group not particularly good as a whole. Needs early attention, As we probably well know. Cannot compete with class and strength. I'd say only Steele and Dunstan must keeps (as mids) from last evening. Don't care if Hannebery ever plays again, notwithstanding Ratts comments.

Hawkins strangely opposed eyes and boof head what me expression is a get out of jail free card. MRO and Tribunals think this guy is so big & clumsy so couldn't have meant to hurt. Call Steven May as a character witness. Be astounded if he got any meaningful penalty. Opposite of Toby G and Mumford's sterotyping.

Cats have a pretty good protection racket going from free agency to umpire bias to going unpenalised for violent fouls, and good on them, shame we are the suckers so often.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sat 14 Aug 2021 11:01pm Good effort but too much left to too few . So different to last week when we had a even spread & that makes all the difference IMO. I could single out players but at this stage of the season I can't see the point roll on 2022
Thats what happens when you allow the opposition to maintain possession of the ball! Some of the dumbest coaching I have ever seen yesterday...

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

This could be paraphrased too many fumble under pressure & lack composure in possession.

Need to weed them out. Destroys system & gives comfort to the enemy.

Sides know if they stick at it we fumble when it counts.

Stuff the standing jump sprint metrics if you have poor hand skills.

minneapolis
Club Player

I thought it was a very good effort.

We were playing the flag favorites on their home ground for a top 4 spot.

We had our top 6 players out.

Ratts had them fired up and used what he had a best he could. If you think he can't coach then assess the way we played after the bye.

Sharman's legs were cooked after the first quarter. Hannebery first game back. Joyce has no offensive power. Marshall split with their rucks. Our prime goalkicker only played one quarter. Dunstan et al gave the ball back to them.

However to win Dangerfield had to play a 3-Brownlow votes game. And the Umps gave them the better side of the frees.

So I am not too disappointed. At least they fought like jackals.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
spert
Saintsational Legend

Our inconsistent play is killing us. I struggled to find an effective Saints player- I thought Sincs was our best overall player, though Steele got votes but went missing for parts of the game which was disappointing. Just too many half-hearted efforts all night- same as the Carlton game a couple of weeks ago.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

We have a soft underbelly - and we have a couple of way overpaid players who are setting a very low bar for everyone else (their disproportionately hefty pay packets are weighing them down?)
Some abdominal/core-strength training and I reckon we bring back Richo to get back that mental toughness and never-give-up attitude and work rate our side exhibited (despite lacking the cattle and despite all the wholesale injuries to the said deficient cattle that Richo had the misfortune to be lumbered with). :wink:

We change coaches and recruit big name players (and pamper them) - and are constantly taking shortcuts, throwing money at everything - trying to reach an unattainable dream - when what we really need are some hard-nosed and down-to-earth realists/pragmatists in charge who will lead by example and won't shirk at putting in the hard work and demanding the same from others (our recruiters, coaches, etc..), who will change the ethos of the place - so that everyone willingly puts in the work and supports each other (and can see the big picture and the point of it all).

lewdogs
Club Player

We need more from Jones and Crouch regularly. They are two of our better players but they're really inconsistent. Regularly very good and regularly very poor.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Look we accept players doing the minimum. Until there is an uncompromising approach to discipline in roles, making a contest and valuing possession it will be same same.

When the book comes out I will be interested in why (to quote Samoht) Brad has been "pampered". He has been generally ok, nowhere near value for money, but a number of his clangers have been soul destroying game losers. But the selection message is never mind. We accept rubbish and an unspoken hierarchy of individual players in a team game so can not aspire to be a really top professional team.

Drives me mad that we don't have a driven single minded professional running the joint - but yes hard to find. Oh list depth precludes change? Well then that's another horror story. Endless loop of excuses.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 12:02pm Look we accept players doing the minimum. Until there is an uncompromising approach to discipline in roles, making a contest and valuing possession it will be same same.

When the book comes out I will be interested in why (to quote Samoht) Brad has been "pampered". He has been generally ok, nowhere near value for money, but a number of his clangers have been soul destroying game losers. But the selection message is never mind. We accept rubbish and an unspoken hierarchy of individual players in a team game so can not aspire to be a really top professional team.

Drives me mad that we don't have a driven single minded professional running the joint - but yes hard to find. Oh list depth precludes change? Well then that's another horror story. Endless loop of excuses.
Hill is the worst 'elite' kick i've ever seen. Too many hospital passes or direct turnovers. He should be breaking the lines off half back (apparently he's quick?) and spearing deliveries to forwards inside 50, or even better slotting goals from 55 on the run himself. He needs to watch someone like Saad or Hind to see how he should be playing.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
repta
Club Player

When we go into defensive mode things fall apart.

We get sucked too far up the ground, defend well, however if a team cant clear the ball out they get scored against eventually.
Without the run out we cant score. It doesnt help that we continually butcher the ball or have short passes to static players.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The comparison between Hill and Hind keeps getting raised by one poster who loves to kick the club. They are completely different players. Hind runs around like a headless chook then kicks the ball sideways 15 meters 80% of the time, this is broken up with the occasional run and bounce.

Hill is continually moving when we have the ball teams are forced to run to defend as he takes off on more often than not unrewarded runs. He has been really good other than Saturday but he was still ok.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

It’ll be fn hilarious if they drop Hill for the last game of the year. More of the same clusterfaark type decision making from Lethlean and Ratten which is pointless and too late to achieve anything.

Hill will be rapt that he won’t have to face his old team. He’ll be excited knowing he won’t have any corkies or bruises that he has to deal with. He can plan his holidays freely with the knowledge that he will be injury free and ready to play again in 2022 and just cruise at minimum required output for maximum $$$ potential

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 1:26pm It’ll be fn hilarious if they drop Hill for the last game of the year. More of the same clusterfaark type decision making from Lethlean and Ratten which is pointless and too late to achieve anything.

Hill will be rapt that he won’t have to face his old team. He’ll be excited knowing he won’t have any corkies or bruises that he has to deal with. He can plan his holidays freely with the knowledge that he will be injury free and ready to play again in 2022 and just cruise at minimum required output for maximum $$$ potential
You been asleep for a few months have you?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 1:33pm
Scollop wrote: Mon 16 Aug 2021 1:26pm It’ll be fn hilarious if they drop Hill for the last game of the year. More of the same clusterfaark type decision making from Lethlean and Ratten which is pointless and too late to achieve anything.

You been asleep for a few months have you?
I’m not saying he deserves to be dropped now

I actually agree with you that he’s been really good for the most part in the last few months…

All I’m syaing is that it will be fn hilarious if the Saints hierarchy drop him now when he should have been DROPPED earlier in the year!!